5.0 out of 5 stars iphone 4 owner
I asked Tom-Tom if this unit was compatible with the iphone 4. I was told, sadly it was not.

Problem was, I needed one to charge and make full use of the iphone Tom-Tom app I had bought. Then by chance I saw a couple of YouTube video clips where people had added a simple piece of Velcro to make it work. So I bought the kit and did the same.

I was...
Published on 27 July 2010 by Gordon Ramsey

3.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap for what it is
As I have an iPhone and don't want multiple gadgets, I thought the combination of the car kit plus the Tom Tom app would be a good solution. As a cradle, it is fine - does everything it needs to, keeps the iPhone charged and also keeps it from going into sleep mode. Its also handy if you want to run the Google map app just to see where you're going. The built in speaker...
Published on 5 May 2010 by K. Sabine

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great - When it Works, 14 Mar 2011
This review is from: TomTom Car Kit for iPhone (Compatible with iPhone 3G & 3GS) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
A bit of background to put the review in perspective.

I have been using sat nav in various guises for many years now. I have factory fitted sat nav in my car (and have in evey car I've owned since about 2003). However, I am a regular traveller to the US and prefer to take my own GPS rather than pay through the nose at the car rental places.

For this purpose I have always used TomTom. First on various Windows Mobile PDA devices, then I got a dedicated device (GO Live 950) and finally when that failed I got TomTom for my iPhone 4.

As any iPhone user knows, GPS can be very power hungry, so I first started my search for a cradle and charge cable for use in the car. After a quick look at the TomTom website I saw that there was an official cradle which charged and boosted the GPS signal so headed over to Amazon to order it.

The first one I got didn't work out of the box - it would charge but nothing else. The TomTom Car Kit Tool app you can download shows you if the iPhone is docked or not and the status of the GPS lock from the cradle. It was as if the cradle didn't exist. So, email to Amazon and a replacement was on it's way quickly and hassle free.

The second one worked just as it should, straight away, so I thought I was home and dry.

I didn't use the bluetooth calling or music out so can't comment on those aspects of it, but as a cradle and GPS booster it did a fantastic job.

My iPhone was never out of charge and the cradle adjusted very easily into just about any position I wanted it in. It feels sturdy and well built and never gave me any concern that it might fall apart or fall off the windscreen (where it attached very firmly and easily I might add).

The downside to this however is that towards the end of my last trip (the only trip I have taken this on) it stopped working. Same as the one I had that was DOA, it would charge but not do anything else.

Now don't get me wrong, when it worked this is excellent and a must have for any traveller who wants to use their iPhone for in-car GPS. However I think there are some problems with these at the moment. Whether these are iPhone 4 related or the fault of the cradle is unclear, but I'm not sure I would trust this again until another model is released or more info about the failures is available.

For now I have returned it to Amazon (again a very quick and efficient service) as it doesn't work.

In summary, 3 Stars. I would give it 5 Stars if it hadn't failed as when working it performed perfectly, but two failures in a row is too much of a coincidence so I have deducted 2 Stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's o.k but where is the value in the premium cost, 2 Jun 2010
J. Auton (England) - See all my reviews
This is solid practical piece of kit and funcitions as it should but no more than that. I struggle to see where the value is for such a premium cost accessory. Can't help but feel have been ripped of by paying this amount just to make sure the Nav works as it should on my iphone!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive cradle and poorly designed, 12 Nov 2011
Alan Campbell "Cams" (Isle of Arran, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 3GS and found it to be reasonably useful as a dock for charging. One poor feature implementation that surprised me is that phone calls are not routed through the line-out into my car stereo, so it was a step back for me in those terms as I was used to having a headphone out cable going into the aux socket.

Since getting the iPhone 4S, things have gone downhill rapidly. Naturally I had lost the 'adapter'. I put that word in quotes, as an adapter conjures up in my mind something that allows you to connect a device that doesn't natively connect. The TomTom 'adapter' is plastic shim with some glue on it. Henceforth, I shall refer to it as a shim.

I contacted TomTom support to request a new shim, and they sent me one free of charge. Can't fault their service anyway. And it works, providing I take the thin plastic case off my device. I'm not about to do that. It would still be worth keeping though for long journeys. The last journey I made where I needed the GPS, I managed to jam the phone into the cradle, plug in a dock connector from the lighter socket and the headphone out to the aux in. It kind of worked, but I was using the TomTom cradle simple as a holding device.

I just switched cases on the phone to see if it would fit with a Speck case. It didn't. But while I was messing around with it, I dropped the shim and now it's lost. I think it has fallen down a vent on the dashboard. So now I'm stuck with a piece of plastic that I can jam my phone into. Eighty quid is heck of a lot of money for that.

My verdict: overpriced and poorly designed. Avoid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed and it works perfectly with iPhone 4S, 21 Oct 2011
I was a bit skeptical about a car kit for my new iPhone 4S, Specifically: Would it drop off the windscreen? Would I be able to hear it? Would it be too fiddly to use?

As it turns out, it performed perfectly. It is well designed and a cinch to install.
The combination is almost as good as a dedicated TomTom device, the down sides being that having a heavy phone suckered onto an inverted glass surface is always going to be a bit precarious.

I am using TomTom's own satnav software, so did not see any warnings about 'App not installed' that other reviewers mention.

On the plus side, the volume and clarity of the audio instructions were great - the software takes care of fading out the music.
I still have to test the audio out socket with the in-car radio.
The cradle's built in GPS aerial is a sure improvement over the iPhone's.

So why not five stars? Well the price for a start compared with a stand alone unit it is a bit much.
Also, I keep my iPhone in a protective case, which needs to be removed when fitting it into the cradle.

My main criticism would be of the TomTom software, which is a lot more fiddly on the iPhone, than it is on a dedicated device.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work well with IPhone 4, 15 Oct 2011
I have been using TOMTOM for my iPhone now and its working like a dream, You would think the official TomTom car kit would be a great extension on their product. But no.

The fact that you need an adapter to make it work with in IPhone 4 must say enough. I been reading reviews about the TOMTOM car kit and there are more users with the same problem for the iPhone 4. The problem lies in the foot of the connector. Once you insert the phone and move it back to lock it on the top the connector moves back and engages the connection to the iPhone. Unfortunately the iPhone 4 is slimmer than the 3gs and doesn't pushes the connector far back enough to make the connector to work. Even with the adapter mine didn't go far back enough to make the cradle to work. My partners 3GS did work without any problems but if you want to swap between them it means you will have to remove the adapter and attach it every time you swap it and it is easy to loose.

Also a big downside is that you will have to remove the cover which is protecting your precious iPhone otherwise it will not fit. But once you got it to work it works without any problems. I found different one now (MIO iPhone gps car kit) which does the same and doesn't require any adapters for different phones and you don't have to remove the cover from your iPhone. And if apple is going to change the iPhones designs in the future it will be very likely it will still fit. So I will try that one soon, but this TOMTOM official iPhone car kit is not worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars What an awful, expensive load of junk, 18 July 2011
Im just in the process of getting a refund as the Tom Tom holder for iphone 4 was damaged on arrival. The holder suction pad screw mechanism was broke so therefore I couldnt attatch the unit to the windscreen. Also, if the unit wasnt damaged, you will need to fit an adaptor for the iphone to fit the cradle correctly. Even if the unit had arrived in perfect condition It would have still got 1 star as it is not perfect for iphone 4, and at nearly £80, in my opinion its an awful buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom car kit, 8 Jan 2011
Have just bought a Tom Tom kit and thought I should share my experience. Very quick delivery and couldn't wait to get started. The kit was easy to install but I had real difficulties pairing my iPhone 4. I spent several frustrating hours with my phone constantly searching for devices without success. I was resigned to the fact I may have to return the car kit when I tried a friends iPhone 4 with my new kit. Their phone found the car kit straight away. After much head scratching it dawned on me that my friends phone did not have a cover. I had tried my phone in the car kit but had left on the free case I ordered when I bought the phone (this was to help with the signal problems that left handers like my self were supposed to experience). Anyway to cut a long story short it would seem that you have to remove any casing before the phone will sit correctly in the cradle. It may be an obvious thing but if you are a bit of a novice like me it may save you a few frustrating minutes/hours. Not that impressed by the sound quality but once up and running it does the job. Have to say though that if I realised the car kit was bluetooth and not hard wired I may not have bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like Everything Apart From The Price!, 7 Nov 2010
Works really well, sticks to window okay, holds the phone securely, works well as a handsfree kit, GPS receiver is adequate - very occasional glitches (no worse than my old stand-alone TomTom)

Only downside is the price - Costs more than a whole TomTom One, clearly just a cynical attempt to eeek a bit more money out of you :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure it's worth the price., 3 Nov 2010
CS (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I own this item as well as another mount (Modern-Tech In-Car Windscreen Suction Holder/ Mount for Apple iPhone 4) for traveling. The TomTom car kit does exactly what it promises to deliver: It charges the phone while traveling and the built-in speaker is nice and clear.

However, I have now also used the cheap low-tech alternative solution and must say it's really not all that different. Yes, you have to make do with the phone's built-in speaker but I found that sufficient. I've also had no problems with GPS signal reception.

Sure, you don't have to manually plug in a cable each time you connect and it's a nice overall presentation. I'm just not so convinced anymore it's worth more than 10 times the price of one of those simple alternative phone car mounts. If in doubt, spend £10 on a cheaper car holder/charger and see if that serves your needs just as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not cheap but worth the money, 11 Mar 2010
Pleased with this:
Small, neat, unobtrusive,
Suction cup works very well
Bluetooth connection very easy and totally reliable
Amplified sound plenty loud enough in my vehicles- a sports car and a van, both with above saloon car cabin noise.
I'd buy another if the need arose...

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›