In short: Logitech has made another "home run".

This mouse, the G500, is the youngest descendant of the MX500/510 series introduced about 5 years back. Whatever shortcomings that series and its immediate successors had, has been corrected in this great mouse.

I won't go into details with the product specs, other than say that the 5000 dpi precision of its laser sensor provides silk smooth tracking on most surfaces (supposedly even glass, if one would be foolhardy enough to use that as a mousing surface).

The mouse is very close to the G5 gaming mouse; same shape, (nearly?) same hand-surface coating (actually, I'm not quite sure if the back coating has the same "gritty" feel of the first G5 mouse, which at bad moments gave associations to nails down a blackboard), same large teflon feet for low mousing surface friction. It has dpi adjustment buttons moved away from the scroll where you would all to easily hit them in the heat of battle. Instead, the MicroGear scroll wheel alternator is placed there, but it has "deep click" action-type button which is not likely to be triggered by accident.

The side buttons are not just two, but three, akin to the MX revolution and MX1100; only the lower thumb button as found on the MX1100 is moved between the forward/backward buttons, but yet quite distinct form these due to thoughtful molding of these two buttons. There is no chance that you'll accidentally trigger these buttons while your thumb is resting in the thumb groove on the mouse left-hand side.

The dpi indicator is in deep, ruby red LED's which is a nice change from the everpresent blue LED's on most consumer electronics today, but that is perhaps just my personal quibble. However, it adds to the very agreeable aesthetics of the mouse, which, while decorated (the "stained steel" look on its back, refer to photos), does not "scream". (Also, there is no 1000-word essay on the back of the mouse in regards to standards conformity, parts numbers etc etc. Only a large text saying "G500" - likewise pleasing to the eye, should you look).

The weight cartridge is almost the same as in the G5, but I'm not enough of a gamer to ascribe much practical value to it; the option to adjust teh wight of the unit is there, your mileage may vary.

All in all, I am very happy with this mouse (made it this year's Xmas present to myself :), as I have been with most of my Logitech products through the years, and as Logitech is a Swiss company, perhaps it is not entirely misplaced to ascribe the same high standards of quality to "their" PC input units as it has been to their timepiece industry. I for one recommend this brand to all that ask, and this latest addition to their product line merely reaffirms their top placement in regards to PC peripherals.
on 21 August 2010
Let me start this review by saying that I had a G9x before this. I used the G9x for about 6 months, before I deceided to get rid of it because it was just too small for my hands (I'm 6'4" and have average sized hands for my height). I sold my G9x for just under what I bought it. I bought it for £65. And so, I went looking for another mouse that would do everything the G9x did, but was bigger.

It just so happens that the G500 is that mouse - and it's £30 cheaper!

This mouse does EVERYTHING the G9x does except from the on-the-go profile switching and the grip changer. The fact that these features aren't there doesn't matter because the grip on the G500 is perfect and the profile switcher was useless. 5 different DPI settings on a single profile are enough to satisfy anyone. Middle clicking was god-awful on the G9x, but it works a charm on the G500. The G500 also has one more thumb button than the G9x does.

There are many other nice features to speak of on the G500:
- The very high DPI.
- The braided cable.
- The rubber feet.
- The easy to install and use software.

There are no major drawbacks I can think of. This mouse is advertised as a 'gaming' mouse but it can be used for anything. I adore this mouse, and would reccomend it to anyone in a heartbeat.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 October 2010
So I chose to upgrade to this mouse from the Logitech MX510, only because I've taken the MX510 around the clock and back and its showing its age. So rather than a plain review, how about a comparison.

Build wise the mouse is spot on (with one important exception -see later). All the buttons are very comfortably placed and respond well. The mouse movement is also very accurate and precise, although in my opinion, the ability to instantly click between 3 scroll speeds is nothing more than a gimmick. Trust me, the difference between the 3 speeds is so great you will never find a practical use for it (this is from someone who has been playing FPS games since Doom).

I also found the ability to change the weight of the mouse somewhat redundant. I've tried several variations and noticed absolutely no difference in performance.

But then we come to my biggest reservation about this mouse, the scroll wheel. Its action is just plain awful. The ability to toggle between free scrolling and click scrolling is great (even though you will never use free scrolling in a game). Its problem is the click action on this middle button. It's damn awful. Not only is it much too stiff, but a good 10% of all middle button clicks will not be detected by the mouse. Fatal in FPS gaming. And I'm not alone in this view, the Logitech forums show there are a lot of people unhappy with the scroll wheel for this reason.

Overall, a good mouse let down by a poor scroll button. How important middle button clicking is to you...should decide whether or not you buy this mouse.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 June 2010
The G500 replaced my trusty G5 (1st rev) after many years of happy gaming and general computing (the G5 is still working fine, the need for more buttons and better layout made me give in to the G500)

After considering the drawbacks and benefits of the new mouse, i decided to go for it and try it out.

The major complaint is the wheel, it is certainly not gaming grade as the steps are too soft when you turn it, and the middle mouse click rarely registers correctly.

I have alleviated this problem by using the extra button underneath the forward/back keys to act as the middle mouse button as well, which actually helped me a lot during gaming sessions as i never have to move my fingers off the two main buttons (left/right) during a heated session.

So in essence during gaming i have found the wheel to be almost useless, (using the mouse mainly for Bad Company 2 gaming atm with some light touches of Starcraft 2 Beta and Team Fortress 2) but during browsing and computing sessions it is lovely to have.

A point has to be made that the wheel on my G5 after years of use has become a bit wonky as others report too, which made the middle mouse click useless on it during gaming as well.

It is a balance between having the design on the mouse i loved for same years with a new wheel giving me more pleasure during browsing, and the extra buttons and functions (such as a profile able to be saved on the mouse).

Over the G5 i have lost nothing from the original features that I used but gained pleasure in many more areas.

The 1000hz mode is nice to have, but as a reminder if you move your mouse around between computers or laptops and save your own profile using that refresh rate, the extra cpu cycles it requires might be evident in lower spec machines.

Also, this wheel does not include the auto-switch from stepped to free mode for the wheel, it is a manual activation using the button below the wheel. (I like this feature due to the way I have been accustomed to using computers so for me it is not a negative, but others looking for the auto-switch between modes like the G9 had better look away)

Now coming down to the weight of the mouse, it seemed to me without looking at specs, that the stock mouse weight without using weights inside must be a bit heavier than my G5, it was more evident in long gaming sessions where my hand got tired quicker. I run my G5 with no weight since i got it. Further sessions though proved to be better as i got accustomed to the mouse, and was loving every moment of using it.

I do recommend this mouse but with caution, if the balance between the extra features and the few problems it brings with it suits your style, go for it.
on 6 August 2010
Some reviews describe the scroll wheel on this mouse as flimsy, but for me it is nothing short of the best part of the mouse. Even in the 'clicky' mode it will still continue spinning for a fraction of a second if you spin it fast enough, which makes scrolling through web pages a very pleasant experience. It also doesn't have the issue the G5 v1 has where scroll clicks are registered if you so much as touch the scroll wheel. The free scrolling mode isn't something I would often use, but if the lack of complete resistance in the 'clicky' mode is a side effect of it, I'm glad it was added. The scroll wheel is also quieter than on the G5 v1, which was sometimes an issue in late-night gaming sessions. And for those of you crazy enough to use the scroll wheel for switching weapons, you will be pleased to know that when used slowly, the notches/clicks are well defined and perfect for gaming.

The extra side buttons are handy, though with the way I hold the mouse, the far button can be quite awkward to reach. This is not a major issue though, as I simply have it bound as a duplicate of the near button (mouse 4) as 2 side buttons are more than enough.

I was expecting the DPI change buttons to be awkward, given that my left finger often rested exactly where they are on my G5, but I have yet to press one accidentally and they are easily accessible when required, so +1 for the new positioning. Also, the left and right buttons are slightly easier to click than the G5, which is a very good thing for me.

And finally, the sensor - Wow. On the same surface (Razer Sphex) and at the same DPI setting as my old G5, while playing osu! it feels like autoaim in comparison. And that's saying something, considering both an MX518 and Coolermaster Storm Sentinel Advance failed to even come close to the G5.

Overall, an exceptionally good mouse at an equally exceptional price - considering the CM Storm Sentinel is pathetic in comparison and costs a fair bit more, and the MX518 costs only slightly less and is far from as good as the G500.
on 19 December 2010
I have to say this along with my gaming mouse mat have to be the best investments I've made to improve my pc gaming experiences. I wasn't too sure about the feel of the mouse at first but within a few days use I was familiar with the wrist up posture it encourages. It would probably feel a bit more natural if you had a wrist support mouse mat.

Many of my games don't recognise all of the mouses buttons, which seems pretty wasteful. The sidescroll buttons and the little button under the thumb buttons can't be assigned in game. The scroll wheel can be switched between free spin or ratchet modes, but it has to be said the wheel design does feel a bit flimsy.

It's a shame because it's a really solid performer in every other aspect. The accuracy is brilliant. You can have 5 preset dpi settings between 200-5200 dpi. You can change between these on the fly using the buttins to the left of button 1. A nice braided fabric cable and smart little tin for the weights add nice little touches to the package.
on 24 April 2013
My mouse too developed random double clicks. Also when trying to drag and drop it would randomly let go dropping things. And the most frustrating thing, playing COD online and holding the left click to shoot and it just suddenly stops firing!! The most frustrating thing. Gaming mouse that is now useless for gaming. Put up with it for a while but it has just got to the point where it is unusable.

Expected more from Logitech.

Thanks to Amazon though for a quick and easy return.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 November 2010
Had this mouse for about a year now, I've generally stayed with Logitech Mice from the MX500, MX510 to MX518
This has to be the best so far in my personal opinion. I've generally loved the ergonomic feel that all these mice has provided.

Tracking and customisation of this is fantastic, the logitech profiler doesn't always pick up the program running... I think this is more to do with windows7 in regards how the program is ran.

I can't quite understand what they have used in regards to the materials in its construction but whatever it was this does not collect muck or dirt at all?! All my previous ones over time with long periods of use would have the usual collection of dirt where the skin has come off on it or the wheel would need cleaning.

Either way this is certainly worth the cost as a Gaming and a general purpose mouse.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The G500 is a perfect mouse. It is one of the last quality mice that has a good build - you can actually stand on it and it will not break!

I have dissembled my G500 (more on this below) and can vouch that the internals are to the same high build quality. The middle mouse wheel assembly is a little feat of engineering on its own, and unlike ordinary mice, there is no free space in the mouse - the electronics, mouse wheel assembly and weights port take up *all* the available internal space!

However, there is one big issue with the mouse: if you travel with it or generally move it about a lot, the laser lens will loosen, resulting in a slightly wobbly mouse pointer.

You can tell if you have this issue by connecting the mouse to your computer, turning rhe mouse upside down in your hand (so the laser is shining at the ceiling) and shaking the mouse side to side. The mouse pointer should not move, but If the laser lens is moving, you will see the pointer move.

The design flaw is that the laser lens is not glued on. It has two lugs that pass through holes in the laser chip, and are melted down on the other side. If they are not melted far enough, the lens will wobble if you move the mouse quickly.
You can easily return the mouse to Logitech (they have very good customer service, but you may well find the replacement has the same problem), but if, like me, you are the sort of person that builds their own computer from scratch, and has to tweak everything, just Google `G500 disassembly', and put a bit of glue (but not superglue - that clouds the lens) on the offending lugs. Not something for the faint hearted, but a good challenge for fellow gaming tech geeks!

Having fixed the issue on my G500, I am left with a mouse that looks like it will last forever. Knowing how to take it apart also means I can easily fix any sticking button issues later (but as these are usually to do with split plastic rods on the actual buttons (and mine doesnt seem to have any) I don't think this will ever occur.

So to conclude, if you are the sort of person who buys gaming grade CPUs, memory and GFX cards and is constantly tweaking it all, then this is the 5 star mouse for you: not perfect out of the box, but it can be made so (and is now cheap enough to warrent tweaking). If you want something that just works, get a Microsoft mouse. Not as good, but they last longer than you will.
on 13 February 2012
upgraded from a G5 as my G5 cable protection (black cloth oversleeve) ended up ripping and didnt look nice any more.
Well the G500 is a bit of a let down. the buttons on the left side are not practical to use. i only use the back one confortably. G5 was better. mouse wheel scrolling click is a bit loud for my taste. But the real killer is that dam black woven cloth over cable. straight out of the box you can see that the tight bends in the cable made for packaging it in are already causing the sleeve to part open. after 4 months the cable under is exposed again. I so wish logitech would have learned from the G5 already. It's a shame really as i like the mouse weights system and the mouse shape is good. I would recommend the G5 as in the end the G500 brings no advantage.
Vincent