5.0 out of 5 stars The birds in my garden LOVE these!
The birds in my garden absolutely LOVE these dried mealworms.
Published on 3 Dec. 2010 by Colin

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product but way overpriced
Published on 12 Feb. 2011 by B. J. Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars The birds in my garden LOVE these!, 3 Dec. 2010
Colin "(52)" (UK and Azerbaijan) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wild Bird Dried Mealworms 3ltr (Grocery)
The birds in my garden absolutely LOVE these dried mealworms.
No need to soak them, I just scatter them on the ground and the bird-table and they attract a variety of birds. I see robins, thrushes, blackbirds, sparrows, starlings, bullfinch, chaffinches, coal-tit and some other finches and tits that I have not yet identified. All the birds seem to love these mealworms.
I feel I have to ration them as the birds will eat as many as I want to put out.
I usually put 1-3 handfuls on the table and then cover with a standard wild-bird seed to make the birds work at least a little bit.

I have tried live mealworms, but they are a real hassle to store, and even to put out, they dont hang around the table.. To be honest, I think the birds prefer these dried ones.

I last year I bought dried mealworms from the RSPB site but prices seem to have increased dramatically this year. Certainly at the moment the price from this supplier is good value. Packaging was good and delivery was prompt.

Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars special treat for your feathered friends, 18 Aug. 2011
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
My sister has chickens and uses mealworms as a protein treat for her "girls". She sprinkles a small amount of mealworms in amongst the drift wood and stones that are in their fenced in area and the chickens go searching and digging for them.

The meal worms provide a high protein and high energy boost for any bird and are, therefore, worth considering for your feathered friends, domestic and wild, especially in the winter months when natural insects are hard for them to find.

Fortunately, the chickens seem to keep the voracious starlings away, so the smaller birds (sparrows, dunnocks, wrens, chaffinches, robins, etc) get to pick up the spare that the chickens can't find.

Mealworms are usually the larvae of the black meal beetle, but can be from the yellow meal beetle. It is possible to grow your own if you want to, but these dried meal worms are a good substitute.

You can use these dried from the tub (as we do) or rehydrate them by soaking them in warm water until soft (usually about 15 minutes). I found this unpleasant as they become sticky and gooey, though I did find that the birds would eat them out of the dish if we drained some of the water off and let them go cold.

The mealworms come in a resealable tub which means that you can reuse it; though only after cleaning it thoroughly in order to reduce the possibility of bacterial and fungal contamination which might harm the birds. Meal worms can also be purchased in vacuum packs which once opened can be stored in the reusable tub.

I would recommend that you shop around as the price can vary widely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dried mealworms. Easy or what?, 7 April 2011
Forget all you read about dried mealworms not being the real thing. Rehydrated for 15 mins in warm water and the birds enjoy them and wait for their quota each morning and evening. These particular brand are good quality, with large worms and not a crumbled mess. [My previous experience when buying through the post has not been very successful]. They come at a reasonable price in a very good range of tub sizes and delivery was spot on.

I will certainly continue with this product as it is an all round succes with me and my feathered friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious! (judging from the reaction of the birds in my garden), 18 Dec. 2010
Colin "(52)" (UK and Azerbaijan) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The birds in my garden absolutely love these dried mealworms.

I have tried live mealworms, and apart from the issues of storeage times (and practicality), they dont stay on the bird table, or even close to it.

These mealworms are easy to store, and easy to use, I just throw a couple of handfuls on the bird table, and on the ground close by (not all birds like to feed on the table - blackbirds for example seem to prefer feeding on the ground).

The birds absolutely love these, and seem to hoover them up just as quicly as they can. No need to soak them, I just thow them out dry.
I usually put regular wild bird seed on top of these, just to slow the birds down a little.
When I have put these out on their own, as far as I can tell all the birds like them - sparrows, starlings, blackbird, chaffinch, bullfinch, coal tit, blue-tit, thrush, robin and a few others I have not yet identified.

Well packed, shipped quickly.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hedgehogs love them, too!, 15 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Wild Bird Dried Mealworms 3ltr (Grocery)
This is a great product for birds of all kinds, and hedgehogs love them, too. If the weather changes and warms up a little in between cold spells, some hedgehogs - especially the smaller ones - may wake up and go foraging for food. If you place some dried mealworms, maybe along with some raisins, chopped peanuts and some suet pellets under a large wooden box with an access hole in the front, it makes a great hedgehog diner for these winter strays, and could save a few lives!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product but way overpriced, 12 Feb. 2011
B. J. Davies "EntilZha" (The Rhondda, South Wales) - See all my reviews
For the mealworms themselves, five stars as I feed them to a Wren I have visiting my garden and a few Pied Wagtails on the roof and out the street. I also add them to my birdseed and to the feeder trays for the robins. They are very high in energy and there is a little tip if you want to make them a little more manageable for some birds. Blanch them in boiling water, just for a second and drain them quickly. They will soften and the Wren absolutely loves them like this as they do not then break apart when they are being eaten.

The 2 star rating is not for the product itself, it is because it is not at all good value for money. I bought one of these, mistaking ml for G. One tub like this has maybe five, six or just handfuls of worms, and the total cost including postage for such a small and light item is extremely high. There are other places on line who solely deal with pets where this is cheaper by far by volume and it is free delivery over a certain amount, you can also reserve them to pick up at store.

5.0 out of 5 stars special treat for your feathered friends, 5 Aug. 2011
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wild Bird Dried Mealworms 3ltr (Grocery)

I would recommend that you shop around as the price can vary widely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our wild birds love mealworms, 24 July 2014
Mealworms go down a treat with the birds in our garden especially the robins, blackbirds and starlings. We feed mealworms to our garden birds on a regular basis, especially in late spring, we put out a couple of handfuls a couple of times a day.

I purchased these because I had a amazon gift voucher to spend, we usually purchase mealworms by the Kilo to keep the cost down, these proved popular though and the tub is a good way to store them and easy to carry out to the garden too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Queuing up, 20 Feb. 2015
What can I say? From the day I first put these out, the birds have been queuing up to get at these mealworms. As I'm writing this, I'm looking out of my window at a dispenser I filled eight hours ago and which is now half empty........again. So, the only downside of buying these mealworms that I can think of is that you, like me, will find yourself spending a thumping fortune on bird food in the coming months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Wild Bird Dried Mealworms 3ltr (Grocery)
good quality meal worms well packed and affordable

Wild Bird Dried Mealworms 3ltr