5.0 out of 5 stars Great little box
I have been looking for a little box to play all my DVD & Bluray rips for a while as I was getting fed up of having so many discs in my lounge and I can keep the originals safely away from small children and sticky fingers! I have been slowly copying them onto a NAS drive connected to a wired ethernet network. When I first got the Asus O!Play, I updated the firmware to...
Published on 11 April 2010 by Ian Mostyn

3.0 out of 5 stars oplay for my movies
I bought this for playing my movies and music from my NAS and as a taster of how well media is being broadcast over the Internet.

The Oplay has a nice clean colourful menu and responds quickly but for playing my music and movies from my NAS although it works well I have to click and navigate down a long way through the hiarachy just to get to the NAS then the...
Published on 11 Mar 2011 by Mr. Michael J. Wilcox

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Asus O!play Hd 1080p Hdp-r1 Live Internet Media Streamer (Personal Computers)
For anyone wanting to watch films or listen to music from their computer on their TV it is absolutely ideal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of Kit, 8 Mar 2011
Nice and simple to operate, read every video format I tried with it, instructions are clear and simple, ended up buying a second one and might even go for a third to replace my Popcorn hour which has very tech instructions and I've never been able to configure properly as opposed to this which does what it says on the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fix for Windows 7, 3 Mar 2011
Came with HDMI and UK mains leads. Using wired internet connection worked straight away. Saw my Vista computer but not my Windows 7 laptop. Googled WINDOWS 7 FOLDER SHARE WITH ASUS OPLAY FIX and found easy to apply fix.
Definitely a 5* product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device, 21 Feb 2011
I previously used a Lacie silverscreen and PS3 to playback video and music files, the Lacie was good with a built in hd but was clunky and limiting in terms of playback and connectity whereas the Ps3 is a near perfect product with a user interface second to none and bluray drive. The main limitation of the Ps3 is its refusal to read anything other than a drive formatted to Fat32 and the 4gig video file size limit, plus its a tad noisey.

First impressions of the O!play, small, light, not unattractive, basic remote control and user interface. The picture quality is easily as good as the PS3 if not better and it handles much higher quality music and video types. I think the firmware still has a few very, very minor bugs, such as the very occasional freeze on the menu but a very quick reboot fixes that. On the whole its not a problem and no more buggy than its rivals or previous media players. I've not seen a single video glitch yet and picture quality is outstandingly good, way better than I expected at this price.

The only issue I have is that the remote should have been bluetooth and maybe another couple of usb interfaces but I guess that's what the newer model is there for. The user interface isn't a patch on the Ps3 but it is very functional and very easy to use with a basic preview option which is nice.

If it had a coverart or grid preview and a more responsive remote, this would be an absolutely killer piece of kit but as it stands it's an excellent addition to the tv and well worth £70. I'd buy another one of these any day of the week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, 4 Nov 2010
Very, very happy with this product. It does exactly what i want. I returned the WDTVLive i originally purchased for media playing as it was overheating, and purchased this instead. It may not be quite as polished as the WDTVLive, but it is catching up very very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars bril buy, 25 Oct 2010
brilliant bit of kit, quick delivery, real easy to set up just took minutes.watched movie via memory quick and easy to do, also set surround sound up via optical cable, can't praise this bit of kit enough

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets at this price, 21 Dec 2011
Pros: Played pretty much everything I threw at it once I'd upgraded the firmware (needed for Ogg support). Being able to correct any audio lag by advancing or retarding the audio in relation to the video is really handy. No fan in the box and it runs cool. As well as the video format options, subtitle support is really excellent as well, and almost every combination of internal (e.g. MKV), or external subtitles is supported. The box tends to find what you've got. No complaints about the HDMI quality, framerate and so on, although my TV is not 'full' HDMI, and I'm not an audiophile.

Cons: Screen aspect adjustment is via a setup menu that requires you to stop playing the movie you're on. Actually quite a few things are only available via 'setup' on the remote control come to think of it. Internet radio and tv channels are pretty much useless (not why I bought the box, so OK). Adding your own channels is pretty difficult. Despite the box running Linux (and me being a Linux expert of >15 years) it isn't at all easy to 'hack' since the source for the player application is not available, so don't get your hopes up on that score. The phono audio output is only on when the composite video output is on (not for HDMI). This means you need an AV amp if you're watching via HDMI or (annoyingly) you have to connect your TV set headphone out into your amplifier if it only has phono inputs. I haven't played with the spdif output but that seems directly configurable via the menu and independent. I guess I am a bit out of date as I was using it with a 20-year old amplifier, I suspect most people probably do have an AV amp these days. Annoying delay switching off and on but that's probably to be expected if it runs Linux. Some of the menus put the selected option in yellow, with the 'other' option(s) in white. Really annoying even if you're not colour blind and very poor interface design. If you only have two options it's hard to remember which is slected. Finally, copying stuff over the network is really slow. I'd advise to play content locally, and unplug your USB device to 'load' it.

Despite the cons it does was it's supposed to do very well, and is I believe the best you can get for this money, therefore I'm giving it 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just doesn't do what it's meant to., 26 Oct 2011
I hoped this would be so much more. But unfortunately not. All media players at this price seem to be a bit glitchy so take your pick.
Obviously I can only speak from my experiences.

Pros;
-A step up from my old £20 usb ported dvd/xvid player
-erm....
-Price

Cons;
-Clunky interface.
-Crashes every time I try to play an audio file when one is already playing.
-Crashes intermittently when used with some 2tb hard drives.
-Struggles to load and play some high resolution MKV's and AVI's straight from a usb stick let alone when network streaming.
-Struggles to forward and rewind high resolution MKV's and AVI's.
-Does not link up for network streaming if you are running Windows 7 64bit i.e. most computers on sale today. If you're one of the lucky ones you'll get it working with the help of the asus forum 'fix' suggestions and some involved tweaking, for the rest of us it's just hard luck.
Strangely it linked up fine when I first used it but on day two nothing. It works fine on my laptops that are running Vista 32bit and XP 32bit.
-Novelty internet functions aren't up to much...I wonder if there is a media player that scrobbles to LastFM but that's a side issue.
-Plays subs... when it feels like it.

On the whole not recommended unless, like me you have some geeky tendencies and like tweaking and fiddling to get things working and even then not really recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little player, 22 July 2011
B. Rhodes (South Africa) - See all my reviews
It does what it says on the tin and the picture and sound is just fine although I have not given it an HD file yet. It would be nice to have two USB slots but it's not a biggy. Good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Media Player, 22 Jun 2011
T. Davidson - See all my reviews
This player has no problem playing all types of media,MKV, DIVX, XVID, WMV ,MP3, FLAC etc, and the HD playback is smooth. Recognised 1tb Western Digital portable hard drive out of the box. formatted with NTFS,however I had to partition another 1tb drive formatted FA32, but this is not a problem as the player recognises this a four 250gb drives. Has thousands on online radio stations and internet T.V as well. Haven't tried networking the player yet but this is also an option for streaming media to another room. This is an excellent little media player. Recommended.