5.0 out of 5 stars Pure as can be
I bought this one for my wife who loves radio 7. It is compact and fits in the corner of the kitchen where it is on from the time she walks into the kitchen in the mornings until she goes to bed at night.
The CD player on top if it is very usefull as she can play discs whem there is nothing of interest for her on the beeb.
Might have been nicer to have a wide...
Published on 12 Dec 2010 by Threaders

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality product I would expect from Pure
Published on 7 Feb 2010 by Mr. G. M. Whitehead

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure as can be, 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: PURE Chronos CD Series II, DAB/FM/CD Stereo Clock Radio - Black (Electronics)
Might have been nicer to have a wide colour choice but there we go its reproduction quality cannot bee faulted mindull of its size and cost.
We still have the previous DAB which is a Pure with woody affect which worked very well but I think the tone of the Chronos is slightly better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the quality product I would expect from Pure, 7 Feb 2010
This product has all the features that I would like to see on a clock radio, however the product itself does not live up to the high standard I would expect from a make such as Pure and for the price - 90 up. The first thing i noticed was the noisy mechanism of the CD player. The CD can be heard spinning (clicking) and it is clearly not a high quality feature. Secondly, and more annoyingly, the transformer makes a constant ringing/buzzing noise; this actually woke me up at one point - I thought it was someone's car alarm in the distance. Although this might not be a problem in general, for an alarm clock that is designed to go next to your bed it seems a significant flaw. The radio is good and the alarm works well, but considering the other points I was forced to return it. As few alarm clocks with all these features are available on the market, it is a shame that Pure can't sort out these simple problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very noisy CD player, 19 Feb 2010
I bought this as an upgrade of the first Pure Chronos CD player which gave up the ghost and I'm sad to say I'm very disappointed with this purchase.

As a DAB/Alarm it is fine, but as the CD player it is absolutely dreadful. The CD drive when playing disc has an incredibly loud rattle which is audible from across the other side of the room. You really have to ramp up the volume to drown it out - not ideal when you are trying to drift off to sleep.

I've purchased serveral products from the Pure DAB family over the years, but this time I regret choosing their product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small and well-formed piece of kit, 1 Jan 2010
Henk Beentje "Henk Beentje" (Kew, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Bought this as a replacement for a CD-player with two stand-alone speakers, for my living room. It has a smallish footprint (space it takes up - not carbon!!), one power cable and one antenna-wire. The sound is fine, and quite enough for radio as well as CD - as long as you don't expect it to work for parties where it would have to overcome twenty people talking!
I have played it at loud volume and there is no distortion.

I think this was designed for the bedroom, what with the dimming readout-display and the alarm. I have not tried it there. for the living it is fine, except that the remote is so small that it is easy to lose... and my (small) gripe is that while you can charge your iPod via the USB-slot on top, you cannot play it through the same slot. You are supposed to play it through the AUX audio-in slot at the front, which has a hole to receive a plug like the plug on your headphone cable; in other words, you need a cable with *two* plugs like that. I don't have that. But hey, I did not buy it for that purpose. I bought it as a DAB radio, and as a CD player, and it functions very well for those two purposes!

3.0 out of 5 stars Noisy CD mech, 3 Dec 2010
I've had this for around a week now and my biggest complaint is the noise from the CD mech. I have the unit on a bedside cabinet right next to my head - play a CD at a low-medium volume and the noise is intrusive.

No real complaints about the other features, DAB and FM reception are both good even with the antenna cable just left to dangle down behind the bedside cabinet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentally flawed as a bedside unit, 21 May 2010
I purchased this to fulfil the following criterea. A bedside unit that played music from my iphone 3gs, a DAB and FM radio and an alarm that I could use to wake up to a choice of those inputs. The main and for me, deal breaking problem, is that the volume is digitally incremental and the minimum volume is FAR too loud for listening to at night. Added to this is the fact that the display is too bright on its lowest setting.
Another annoying problem is that, to get any of the buttons on the front to work, including pushing the main button, you have to push hard enough for the unit to move away from you on each press of a button. Add to this the fact that the buttons are completely flush and black with no texture so they can't be seen in the dark and you end up with something that simply isn't practical for the purpose that its marketed for.
Good points, it works fine with the 3gs and receives calls, no annoying incompatibility warning messages and charges it of course. It sounds good for its size and its a perfect size for a bedside unit. Sadly, I've had to send it back to Amazon as not fit for purpose.
I'm now looking at the Sirocco pure 150, which is a hifi, so bigger than I wanted and not marketed as a bedside unit. I've tested it. It works fine with the 3gs, has a dab and fm radio, looks like it has a nice dim but clear clock and the volume will go down to zero with no discrete steps. In short, I think the chrono would be ok in other rooms such as a kitchen, although I still don't like the flush buttons that, because the unit is too light, means you push it away from you but it's a no from me for bedroom use.

5.0 out of 5 stars PURE CHRONOS CD ALARM DAB STEREO CLOCK RADIO, 10 Jan 2010
Tartanbutterfly (Ayrshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This was my chosen Christmas gift from my husband as I already had recently bought a PURE Evoke DAB radio for the kitchen and I love the quality. The Chronos does not disappoint. I particularly use and enjoy the sleep function and all aspects of the radio and CD perform very well with excellent sound quality. It is very neat and doesn't take up much room on the bedside cabinet. The LCD display backlight level is adjustable and is not too bright in a darkened room while being easily visible. All in all, I'm very pleased with this item and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Chronos CD DAB, 2 May 2010
M. Waters (Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Although it is advertised as more of a bedside radio alarm, I bought this as a kitchen radio. I'd seen it in John Lewis, so I knew what the quality was like, and the quirky shape was perfect to sit in a corner of the kitchen without taking up lots of work space. Amazon price was 15 better. It is advertised as having environmentally friendly minimal packaging, which is true, so shame on Amazon for delivering it in a box at least six times the size of the manufacturers packaging! Set up was easy, though the standard aerial wire was too short for our dodgy DAB area, and initially I could only get seven channels, with none of the BBC ones I wanted. I just extended it with another 6 feet of wire, and now get around 30 channels, including all the BBC ones. It ships with a very handy remote control, with a magnetic patch handy for sticking it to the fridge. Sound quality on DAB, FM and CD is excellent, as is the build quality. It is full of nice details, like the display backlight which automatically adjusts to ambient lighting level. Also has an energy star compliant power supply, so I don't feel too guilty about having it running all the time. It has an `aux' feature so you can plug an MP3 player into it, and again the sound quality is very good. Only very minor niggle is that it would have been nice to have included a lead to connect `aux' devices - A short male/male 3.5mm jack line would have cost pennies. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Chronos cd DAB clock radio, 29 Jan 2010
K. wilkie (lancashire, england) - See all my reviews
Well bought this to play cd's in the bedroom as well having a Dab clock radio.
The alarm setting is too complicated and has failed as we have not set it properly and the cd player is awful as the drive is REALLY noisy when playing at low or reasonable volume levels. The DAB radio is crystal clear however.
We cannot use the Mp3 function as the jack plug is not USB, but confusingly the USB socket on the unit is only to power up things???? WHY???? as most players are compatable with this???? So overall I would say if you want a Dab clock radio, buy one,..... If you want a cd player then buy one,.... but not this combined unit.
I should have returned it really, but couldn't stand the hassle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, very good package, 5 Feb 2010
We bought this for our granddaughter because she needed a small cd/radio for her bedside table that also sounded good. This Chronos has lived up to our expectations. For such a small unit it has very good sound. It is easy to use and the DAB reception is good. Our granddaughter is very pleased.