5.0 out of 5 stars excellent
Having read the reviews it was with some mixed feelings that I ordered it. I did this as I wanted it to fit a specific place in my kitchen. However it has excelled my expectations.The sound is excellent as is the sound from the iPod.We have even used it in our large lounge and it is great in there too. Very easy to set up and use.
Published on 28 Dec 2009 by A. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Curate's Egg
Published on 22 Nov 2009 by East-House

3.0 out of 5 stars Curate's Egg, 22 Nov 2009
This review is from: PURE Chronos iDock Series II, DAB/FM Stereo Clock Radio with Dock for iPod/iPhone - Black (Electronics)
I have owned a PURE Chronos iDock Series II for about three weeks now and am generally happy with it. When deciding which product to buy, I compared the sounds of the Series I (the Series II was markedly better) a much cheaper system and a Sony rival. I thought this the best but it is certainly not a living room sound system; the quality is fine for the bedroom but not good enough for elsewhere.

To set it up, plug in and press the "standby" button (not mentioned in the instructions!) and that's it. The clock, date and DAB radio automatically set themselves up. Once done, there is an extensive and user friendly menu of personal settings. My favourites have been being able to choose different alarm times, settings (i.e. wake up to iPod or a choice radio stations or buzz) and volumes for weekdays and weekends, adjusting the backlight intensity and the sleep modes. I also like the light dimming itself at night thanks to a light sensitive cell, though I would like it to be even dimmer. The iPod is easy to switch to, charges itself and comes back on wherever you last left off. There is a remote supplied should you need it. A real plus is, that if there is a power cut, the Chronos II remembers all your settings.

Those are the good points but I have had troubles too - the first of which I would like feedback on, please. When the device is on standby, but without an iPod docked, the plug emits a soft but most annoying rattling whine - when the radio is on, or the iPod is attached, the problem disappears. PURE were good enough to send me another plug but there was no change. Has anyone else suffered this problem please? A design improvement I would like to see are the buttons either lit or being given a textured surface as, at night, one has little idea which button to press. Lastly, and as has been mentioned elsewhere, when the alarm comes on at its preset volume, one cannot turn it up or down without having to switch off and on again.

So, would I recommend you buy this for the money asked? Well yes, but only just!

30/11/09
UPDATE. I took the unit back to John Lewis where I purchased it. They were very helpful and tried many different units with different plugs. All the PURE plugs used made the same noise but a generic 9 volt adapter was silent. Obviously a fault needing to be corrected.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 28 Dec 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and louder than you'd think, 12 April 2010
P Charlesworth (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure about buying another radio from PURE. I returned the PURE AVANTI Flow Table-top Digital Music System I bought last year because it was complicated, didn't work with my iPhone and generally didn't meet my expectations see my review on that here:

The Chronos iDock is a completely different animal. It's really simple to use. Basically, just switch it on and it will find DAB stations & set the clock automatically. Programming presets is straight forward and switching channels and functions works just like you'd expect. So easy in fact that I haven't had to take the instructions out of the box yet. Even the FM stations have RDS so you can see the name of the station you're listening to. The aerial is a short cord which I haven't even bothered to unwind - the reception is fine as it is.

The iPhone function works well - with no interference even when I get a message or incoming call. You can control volume & skip/ffwd tracks from the remote. You need to use the iPhone itself to choose playlists and browse aretists/tracks etc.

There are 2 things that really impressed though (1) the auto-adjusting display changes brightness depending on the ambient lighting in the room. It's uncanny, turn the lights out and you can see it adjusting. It seems to get the level just right every time. I'm using it in the kitchen but it goes dim enough in complete darkness for a bedroom and yet it adjusts to be bright enough to see from across the room in bright daylight. (2) the sound level. Some reviewers have said it's not loud enough for a kitchen but don't believe them. It is a small radio but unless you want to drown out everything with teenage chest banging volume then it's easily loud enough - even for a dining kitchen like mine. It's louder than the stereo radio/CD player it has replaced.

If you want a small DAB radio and somewhere to charge/play your iPhone for a kitchen or bedroom it's perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as I was hoping, improvement on previous model, 21 Oct 2009
Jonathan Payne (Atherton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The setup was easy. I just had to press the standby button and it set the time, found all the DAB stations, and was ready to go.

The auto-dimming feature works great and really does dim the clock enough. What a relief!

It really is iPhone compatible. Phone worked fine, received calls and texts while docked, and also was charged as well. No interference at all from the GSM radio in the phone.

The sound is as I expected and here in London we get all the DAB stations with no trouble - I didn't even bother to unwind the antenna.

I am not sure about the UI with respect to setting alarms. There are a number of buttons to press but luckily you can set up 4 alarms, each one being either every day, week day or weekend. I won't repeat the rest of the manual here.

My only concern so far is that the main knob seems slightly flimsy. Not sure about that yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb DAB Clock Radio, 8 Jan 2010
First thing to note about this unit is the great sound quality especially with spoken word and moreover given that this is just, essentially an alarm clock, its almost (but not quite) as good as my Pure Evoke. No more tinny, crackling screetch in the mornings for me. Many things, however, have been written about the sound quality of these units and I think if your after an out an out music pod dock then this probably isn't going to meet your needs. This is not in the same league as say a B&W Zeppelin or a Fatman Itube (both amazing).

The alarm settings are simple to use and navigate - quite amazingly you can have an alarm for the weekends and one for weekdays.

I have found to date that all functions are similarly easy to navigate and really quite intuitive.

I particularly like the sleep functions (chosse between 15 minutes and upwards in 15 min intervals).

The DAB reception has been great and I live in a particularly cruddy area where I can't even recieve regular TV signals.

In summary, great little unit with decent sound quality and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bedside receiver, 26 Mar 2010
I bought one of these at Christmas to replace a bedside alarm clock radio. It does this job excellently. A good feature is that it sets its own time from the radio, so you never need to set it. There is an alarm for weekdays and one for weekends (and another that I haven't used). When the radio comes on in the morning it starts quietly and becomes louder - a nice gentle way to wake up. The screen brightness adjusts to the ambient light as well. The sleep function is great, I can set it to 45 mins of classical stuff last thing and then it will wake me to the Today programme. These stations need to be set as presets to do this. It has great sound quality using DAB and I have no complaints on this score. Others have mentioned the problem finding the unlit buttons in the dark - it would be nice to have some subtle lighting as they are all flush and quite small. There is a bug in that it sometimes freezes and none of the buttons work until the large central knob has been pressed or some other combination( I tend to press a few things until it works, so I am not completely certain what starts it off again). This is a minor intermittent thing and now that I know that it is a bug (and possibly going to be fixed with a firmware update), it does not bother me. The iDock comes with a number of clip in plastic surrounds to tailor the ipod connector to various ipod models. My daughter has an ipod nano 5, with video, for which there wasn't a supplied plastic surround. The ipod sits snugly on the bare connector and this works fine, but some might like it to look neatly tailored. The Pure website says that the iDock is compatible with the nano 5, but I don't know if this means that they now ship a suitable plastic surround, or just that the nano will 'plug and play' on the iDock connector. All in all, I am very pleased with it as it wakes me up on time in the morning and sounds great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be perfect except for that annoying hum..., 13 Nov 2011
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Series II iDock just has one real problem, which stops me from giving it a glowing five star review. When ours is on, it emits a constant 'hum' from the speakers (not from the power adaptor) which remains constant no matter what volume you set the device at. We returned ours to John Lewis, got another model, and found that it did exactly the same thing. Looking around on the internet, it seems that it's an occasional problem with this model and the only way to get it fixed is to send it back to Pure and get it fixed, which can take six weeks. For a so-called 'premium' product this was a real let-down.

It's a massive shame because everything else is really going for the iDock. Four different alarm settings (so you can have different alarms on weekdays and weekends), really simple iPod and iPhone docking, DAB radio that just sets itself up instantly and works like a dream, sound quality that would be really excellent if it weren't for the humming... It seems that many other reviewers haven't had the humming problem we've had, so I guess it might be luck of the draw, but after having been persuaded to spend a bit more than I'd planned on a mini hi-fi, the irritating hum was a serious disappointment.

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable update...but, 27 Oct 2009
esseff (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
Pure seem to have listened to most of the criticisms surrounding the previous version. The device looks nicer. The display is sharp and clear with a wide field of view making it just fine to look at during the night without having to raise/move your head. The display can be set to your desired level of brightness, or left on auto, which does a nice job of adjusting itself based on an ambient light sensor. Buttons have a nice, soft touch, and are easy to press, so you no longer move the unit when you want to press something (that's what stopped me from buying the previous model). It has a central adjustment knob for selecting/changing things that's quick and easy to use. iPod function works fine as does the remote. Even though Pure pride themselves on low power consumption, the device can be unplugged entirely without affecting the preset/preferences set, which is something I like as I only need it at night - the clock will set in 2 seconds when plugged back in. The sound itself is ideal for bedside listening.

Niggles:

The 'powerport' which is located on the top surface could do with having a cover on it as I'm sure it will slowly fill up with dust over time if it's not used.

The buttons should have been backlit as it's impossible to see them at night. Choosing a different radio preset becomes a real problem if you're like me and wake up in the night and want to listen to the radio. You can use the remote to change stations, but not presets, so if you receive a lot of DAB channels you'll have to click the button quite a few times until you find the one you want.

Using the remote to control the iPod is mostly fine, except if you have a large collection and want to use the search function. You can do so with the remote, but you can't remove any letters you've changed your mind about. On a Classic you simply hit the 'previous' button which deletes one letter at a time. On the remote this has no effect so you have to reach up and do it manually using the scroll wheel - a bit of a pain, especially if it's not right next to the bed.

Sound is fine, except, as I have the device right by the bed, when I listen to the DAB radio, I can't get the sound low enough for middle-of-the-night use. It's close, but just a fraction too loud. The audio when using an iPod is fine though and I can listen to a podcast while still having a few lower options left on the volume scale.

The unit remembers which track you were listening to regardless of what you do with the iPod when not on the dock, however, if you were listening to a podcast, and delete it once you've heard it, or it finished and you let it stop on its own, when you later dock the iPod, it defaults to playing the first music track in your library - I find this a little annoying.

When pressing the central knob to confirm a selection, if the button is not pressed right in the centre but slightly higher, it tends to make a squeak.

As I said, these are niggles to me, rather than major issues, but there's definitely room for improvement.

UPDATE 27/11/09

Seems to be a firmware bug in this one. The Source button becomes intermittently unresponsive requiring putting into/out of standby to release. Also, on several occasions, after changing source from iPod to DAB, just as the radio comes on, the unit will either go into standby on its own, even when I'm in the middle of adjusting the volume, or change to FM mode. The symptoms can't be repeated at will. Obviously I'm having it replaced. Hopefully this isn't affecting anyone else.

UPDATE 7/12/09

The replacement has begun to exhibit the same symptoms. Seems like it must be firmware related but there's no update on Pure's website. Will just have to get a refund this time.

I must lower the star rating down to 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fully Iphone 4 combatible, 7 Jan 2011
I have an iphone4 and i've really struggled to get any info from the supplier about the compatibility regarding this item.

It charges my iphone4 just fine with no cellular interference!

Great sound for an alarm clock and you can select playlists on the supplied remote too.

Great product and will recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 May 2010
I am really pleased with this product. I can go to sleep listening to my iPhone and then wake up with my local radio station. This is exactly what I was hoping for. The sound quality is pretty good. Charges my iPhone without issue and radio reception is excellent on fm as well as dab. Highly recommended.