5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Mic
This mic really is great quality, the fact that it connects via USB eliminates the static that is sometimes picked up in mics that connect via the microphone jack (which I had problems with)

But no there is no static and my recordings are great quality.

Published on 4 Jan. 2012 by Dan Gleeballs

3.0 out of 5 stars Not happy
I got my blue snow ball today am not impressed first of all it was not the color i ordered i came in lime green but that didn't bother me that much. When i got it out of the box the logo on the front fell off. And the product felt cheap compered to my friends one he has a white one that feels better then my one the little sticker whats going around it had lots of bumps in...
Published 4 months ago by Barbara

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Mic, 4 Jan. 2012

But no there is no static and my recordings are great quality.

Quick Tip: always look at the black snowball mic, the white one, and the aluminium one as sometimes they have sales on one, but not the others, they all sound the same and you get to save some money :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue Microphones Snowball/TW USB Microphone KC White, 27 Sept. 2010
I would recommend the snowball microphone. The perfect gadget. It worked well doing recordings for e-learning and using the software Adobe Captivate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the price and purpose, 11 May 2012
Andrew Merrett (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Having RESEARCHED at Blue's own web site (rather than relying on Amazon's product descriptions, which can sometimes be wrong) I was confident of a good mic and I wasn't wrong. Was also extremely happy to get it for nearly half the price (it went up by a tenner the day after I bought it!).

You could find a number of 'issues' with it if you don't know what you're doing, but for those who understand the limitations -- not of the Snowball but of home audio recording in general -- and how to work round them to the advantage, the Snowball fits in just great.

You may need to push the gain up a little in your software, as the mic doesn't have a preamp, but then again I could hear the tapping of my thumb and forefinger in front of and behind the mic - in other words it has no problem in picking up both direct and ambient noise. All three setting 'positions' have their uses depending on what you want to record, and in fact you might find you get a better vocal or acoustic instrument recording if you use the omni and get in closer -- the trick is to EXPERIMENT and don't take your first take as a definition of what the Snowball can help you achieve.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a lecture, but I am sick of reading the reviews from people who complain about the mic because -- probably -- the rest of their setup is appalling. Research and read some articles on audio recording (particularly in the home) and you'll find that the biggest factor on getting decent recordings is the ROOM itself.

Try these:

[...]

Seriously, you can't plug a mic -- any mic -- in to your PC or Mac and expect it to sound fantastic without you doing any work. It's not a magic cure all for bad acoustics or bad vocals. That said, I believe the Snowball is one of the best microphones in its class (if you don't need 24 bit / 192kHz recording, in which case look at the Yeti instead).

Perfectly usable with the likes of GarageBand, for podcasting, and so on. I personally wouldn't use it with Skype or other IM because my headset is adequate for spoken vocals in that context, but I have no doubt it would work great.

I highly recommend this microphone. If audio levels are really likely to be an issue (bearing in mind that most amateur home recordists capture vocals at too high a level) perhaps you'd be better off with a Shure mic (or one of Blue's XLR mics) and a XLR-USB preamp like the Icicle.

(and no I don't work for Blue).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent mic, alright stand., 28 Dec. 2014
Got this as a Christmas present and have only used it a few times (so far), but my initial impression is fantastic!

Setup is quite literally put the mic on the stand , and plug in the included USB cable. Drivers install quickly and then you're set. Took me all of one minute. Compatible with Windows 8.1, even though this isn't mentioned in the item desc.

Sound quality is fantastic. I use Audacity to record and remove background noise, which is picked up especially on the first setting (cardioid, for commentary etc) but after that it is crystal clear and sounds a lot better in my videos than my old headset mic! It does take a bit of positioning to find a height, distance from you and place in the room that it sounds good from, but once you have that set up it sounds fantastic.

The colour is great, and the mic looks pretty darn sophisticated sitting on my desk.

My only complaint would be that the included stand MAY cause issues. It is stable, but there seems like some kind of locking bolt to hold the neck extension in place which doesn't seem connected to anything. The neck extension can be gently pushed back in with the bolt locked, and the mic can swivel on the stand if the USB is at an angle. Fortunately, neither of these issues affect me just because of where I need the mic to be, but it might be worth checking if stuff like that might affect you.

Other than that small complaint, which isn't really an issue for me personally, I can thoroughly recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 10 May 2011
Mette Bloch (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:44 Mins

A short statement on the snowball microphone...

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Snowball USB Microphone, 19 Jun. 2010
Jordan Mclean (UK) - See all my reviews
The blue snowball is an amazing microphone for the money.
the fact that it is also USB Connected makes it even better. At the back it also has 3 settings for different sound control.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Skype and easy to use, 9 July 2013
This will pick up my voice up to 2m away with fantastic clarity; and it was so easy to set up. Looks cool too. Only potential downside is that it's quite large and conspicuous when I'm not using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is probably the best microphone you can get for under £60/$90, 2 Jan. 2015
This is probably the best microphone you can get for under £60/$90. It is incredibly well built with an all metal tripod with 3 rubber feet to prevent slipping, with a wide enough base to stay stood up after a knock or bump. It is incredibly simple to setup, all you need to do is plug it into a usb port and give windows around 3 minutes to recognize and configure it and that's all. It has near studio quality and would be perfect for conference calls business calls or just skyping family members. the difference between this product and the cheaper "ICE" snowball is that this one has a switch on the back allowing you to choose: Cardiod mode (Only allows volume from the front of the microphone- ideal for one person speaking, singing or even pod casting) Cardiod -10dB PAD (Confusing if you don't understand what it means, this basically adds -10dB to what the microphone is recording reducing background noise and is ideal for live music or loud sounds) and Omni mode (Allows the mic to take in volume from all around, great for recording conferences, interviews or environmental sounds if your want to record outside.

Sorry for the long review but I hope you find it helpful and that it helps you with your choice of mic for what you want. Feel free to comment with questions and I will try to give you the most accurate answer I can. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Blue Snowball Mic., 26 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Blue Microphones Snowball Omnidirectional/Cardioid USB Microphone - Black (Electronics)
I received the microphone in the time specified and set it up on my mac. The vocal recording was of high quality and good volume, in fact I had to reduce the recording level to stop distortion. A good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, fantastic style, beautiful sound, 14 Dec. 2012
I purchased this product since i use Skype a lot and play a lot of online games. Definitely a case of overkill, however I fell in love with this product the moment I saw it.

Opting for the brushed aluminium, it is more of a chromed plastic finish, and a little bit of a fingerprint magnet, however it's looks always draw comments from friends, and I've been told that hearing me speak over it is like being in the same room.

This microphone has 3 settings, I find that for general day to day use, coupled with me sitting a sensible distance away that setting 2 is the best. 1 was too loud, and 3 was picking up my speakers. However it's simply a question of plug and play to see what works for you.

It is certainly a good size, and worth bearing in mind if you don't have a lot of desk space. About the same size as a tennis ball, it's stand is sturdy, solid, and the whole thing looks and feels like it will last for a long time to come.

I cannot recommend this product more than I have, it's a thing of beauty. Go buy one today!

Blue Microphones Snowball Omnidirectional/Cardioid USB Microphone - Black