5.0 out of 5 stars The Everly Brothers harmonize on Appalachian ballads

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
It's okay
Published 7 months ago by sven-inge svensson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Everly Brothers harmonize on Appalachian ballads, 19 Sept. 2003
By A Customer
Nobody did close, two-part harmonies like Don and Phil Everly, who made anything they sang sound better. The Everly Brothers were at the heights of their popularity as rock 'n' roll stars in 1959 when they put out "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us," a collection of traditional songs from Appalachia. Granted, nothing here is as memorable as any of their hits, but they certainly bring the same superb harmonies to traditional standards such as "Barbara Allen" and more contemporary works such as "Long Time Gone." There is also a nice update of the 1930s country song, "I'm Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail." I actually checked out this album because of the last song, "Put My Little Shoes Away," which was an extremely maudlin little ballad that was popular at the turn of the century. I keep thinking that these songs are not as good as the rock 'n' roll standards that made the Everly Brothers famous, but I really cannot find a reason to mark this album down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to their roots., 26 May 2002
By A Customer
Don and Phil go right back to their own back yard with this seminal album - a must for any serious Everly Fanatic. The songs they first sang with their parents are all here - and yes some may be overly sentimental but there is a simplicity in the sentiment that places them firmly amoung folk classics. These songs, with their home-spun morality come from a tradition that says 'if you cant read the stories then set the stories to music and sing them that way they will never be forgotten.
The themes are universal poverty.love. death and yes - deeply unfashionable - family values.
A boy unable to raise the fare home jumps the Lightning Express to see his dying mother - the song is saved from bathos by - yes the superb harmony of the brothers that is the the hall mark of their enduring appeal. Phil Everly takes a note from heaven in the the sinister Willow Garden, a version of the better known Banks of the Ohio and the earlier Irish version Banks of te O.B.D. and Barbara Allen in an unfamiliar setting is deceptively simple. They sing together, they never miss a beat, they sing with conviction, clarity and immaculate precision. The Ev's at the very heart of their music. This music is not for the swinging teenager or vintage rocker, it's for anyone who has searched for their own roots and here will find familiar resonance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everly Brothers Songs our Daddy taught us, 27 Dec. 2010
Songs Our Daddy Taught Us

I bought this after reading one very good review, and listening to bits of the songs on MP3 download option, the bits I heard and also from the previous review made me buy it straight away. I have loved the Everly Brothere since my Teens and I am now retired and still love them!! The combination of their voices still sends shivers down my spine as it did all those years ago. I must admit I have not heard many of these songs before, but the whole CD is a gem! wonderful songs - very very moving, and I first played it after it arrived whilst I was having my evening meal, big mistake as I was in tears by the time it got to the "Lightening Express"! that poor little boy on the train without his fare, it was too much for me , the songs are very very beautiful and I found myself listening to every word, and crying!! I am more familiar with the Rock and Roll songs , but this is such a treasure of beautiful songs sad, but none the worse for that, I cannot pick out a favourite -I loved the whole CD - my love for them remains constant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearingly Ours, 18 Sept. 2006
Harmonyline (New Forest England) - See all my reviews
Not many could make such a potentially depressing string of material so memorable.

As an early interval from their Rock n' Teenage Agst rollercoaster success, the Evs took time to accompany baseman Floyd 'Lightning' Chance into the studio and tape a dozen heartrending songs, mostly from age-old traditional sources.

They loved [of course]; pleaded to see mother 'before God takes her away...'; were 'a long time gone'. They pondered over 'an old mother....rocking alone...', then sang of "That Silver Haired Daddy..."....and even of the murdered Rose Connolly.... But nothing...nothing breaks your heart more than "Put My Little Shoes Away". As it fades, to end the whole affair, you just want to play it all over again. Because it's just beautiful....

An early girl friend and I dared to turn the lights down, in the front room...and listened. Her tears were only greater than mine...we were teenagers.

That's what Don and Phil could do to you.

It only works beacause of their perfection...both in harmony and timing.

Forever endearing. It's another 'must'.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums I've ever heard, 5 Feb. 2014
Nothing else they did sounds quite like this, and I have scoured so many bluegrass, american folk, and country artists basically because I wanted more of the same - but I haven't found anything that comes close to it, in terms of sheer enjoyment for me to listen to.

It's a unique album. I just wish there were more tracks - in fact I wish it was a huge anthology where they covered every single Blues, Kentucky, Celtic, English and American folk ballad every produced up until they went into the studio. So haunting and gloriously bleak in places, and their singing is exceptional, their harmonies effortless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everly Brothers The Voices of Every Generation, 3 Sept. 2014
Every singer nowadays are releasing songs from the back catalogue, but back in the 1950s The Everly Brothers released this album of old vintage classic American songs, when they were at the height of the rock and roll scene and showed what versatile singers they were. Rock, Ballads, The Everly Brothers could sing it all. They are the voices of every generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 25 Feb. 2014
Early Everly Brothers at their harmoniously honest and simple best. A great collection of songs, delivered with purity and perfection. A lasting testament to their homespun influences. A vocal beauty that can only ever really come from two siblings. A fitting tribute to Phil Everly (Rest in Peace) and a legacy of the delights yet to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Songs our Daddy taught us, 10 Dec. 2011
This is a really touching record. The Everly Brothers have clear diction and their harmonies suit these ballads and country songs very well. A nice feature of this issue is that it retains the original sleeve note which explains how the songs were passed through the generations. I listen to it often and it never fails to please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing harmonies and great songs. The essence of the Everly's., 19 May 2014
Although recorded in 1958 this was new to me. The production is crystal clear. The songs highlight the essence of the Everly brothers - great harmonies and great emotion. Why have I not known of it before?.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›