5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!
I'd never clayed my car before,and bought this on the strength of other customer reviews here and because the clay uses water as lubricant instead of a dedicated spray like others. My 5 year old Mazda 6's paintwork felt a bit rough/gritty to the touch,so after using tar remover and autoglym bodywork shampoo I started 'claying'.
The clay was fairly hard to mould at...
Published on 24 May 2011 by mike41

2.0 out of 5 stars My vehicle had had company logos as stickers on it ...
My vehicle had had company logos as stickers on it which had been removed. However if you look hard you can still see the writing. I'd hoped this clay would remove it but it didn't
Published 5 months ago by Deanna1

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 24 May 2011
This review is from: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g
The clay was fairly hard to mould at first,(some recommend soaking it in warm water)but once a piece was flattened into a 2'' square flattish pad I began on the bonnet. A few sprays of ordinary tap water on the clay and the bonnet then I started lightly wiping it across the paintwork,using no more pressure than the weight of the clay itself. It felt like it was sticking at first then as contaminants were removed it began to glide effortlessly. This told me the surface was clean and ready to move on to the next part.
I've always kept my car nice and clean,or so I thought so was astounded at the brown colour left on the clay,after each panel was completed.Just shows how much contaminants are left after ordinary washing.To completely clay the car,including windows it took just over an hour,and I used just under half of the clay bar,mind you I dropped a piece and threw it away,so if you're careful you could probably do 3 cars from each bar?
My paintwork was left silky smooth and after polishing and waxing,it looks as good as new.
I'll definitely use this again,I reckon 2 or 3 times a year should be enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bilt Hamber Car Clay (Regular grade) Review, 19 Nov. 2014
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g
I've had the Medium grade version (black box) twice before which is suppose to offer a combination of all year round use at the same time as being the middle order one for removing deposits.

I decided to try the Regular version which is slightly firmer in consistency and harder to mould in the palm of your hand BUT it does offer a better level of cleaning than the medium grade. Baked on deposits such as road tar, sap and brake dust is a lot easier to remove (not that the medium ever struggled to remove everything) but you don't have to work this clay as much as the medium. The negative point is it is harder to mould against bodywork.

You get a 200g bar (which is generous compared with many other brands) and it comes inside a sturdy plastic box for storage. Unlike other brands that require a lubricant in order for the clay to glide across the bodywork this one only needs tap water to do the job, heed my advise and ensure you keep the bodywork wet otherwise the clay can drag on the paint, naturally avoid using it in direct sunlight as the bodywork will be too hot and the clay will also drag.

Don't go thinking you need to use the whole block in one go as that is a total waste, a 200g block is a sufficient amount to clay 4-6 cars depending on the size of the car. Simply cut a small chunk off and remember the golden rule, if you drop it on the floor throw it away and use a fresh piece.

Instruction wise, mould a piece as flat as possible in your hand, wet a section of bodywork and KEEP it wet all the time, then rest the clay on the paintwork and start to glide the clay across the bodywork ideally in straight lines, you only need enough pressure to stop the clay from slipping out of your hands, REMEMBER.. let the clay do the work! Once the surface of the clay in contact with the car has become really filthy, fold it over into itself to expose a clean section and continue.

VERDICT: Clay is designed to be used on car bodywork after you have washed a car but before you polish and wax it. It removes all the contaminants on car bodywork that ordinary washing won't including tree sap, road tar, brake dust along with many other deposits. If you want that silky smooth feeling as you run your hand down your car door then car clay is what you need. Bilt Hamber is by far the best car clay out there not only when it comes to value for money but also the amount you get but crucially the results. The fact it only needs water as a lubricant is a bonus, as is the fact that like all Bilt Hamber product it is made in the UK. If you have never clayed your car before or plan on claying less than a few times each year then the regular grade is probably best suited for you. If you plan on claying your car every two months or so before you apply a wax then the medium is better. There is a soft grade but for most people it's pointless.

Essential for any car enthusiast or anyone that wants to thoroughly clean bodywork. Highly Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stuff!!, 5 Sept. 2010
Simon "Simon" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g
My brother is a detailing enthusiast, he loves his car to look exceptionally clean and shiny, so my mother and I treated him to this clay as he'd told us he would like some.
I must note that my review is of the results of using this product, not of how it feels to work with.
I have not personally worked with this or any other car cleaning products.
This review is intended to show how great the end results have been when my brother has used this product (he doesn't have an amazon account hence why I've written this review).

Since mine is the first review for this product on here I will explain what I remember of how it is used (this is not an instruction on how you exactly use this product, just what I remember of the processes needed to do the job), you can find a number of instructional videos on youtube.
First you wash your car with an appropriate car shampoo to get the majority of the muck and gunk clear, perhaps use a degreaser for your wheels and bottom edges of the car before that(my brother uses a Maguires car shampoo which smells like bubblegum, I'm not sure about which degreaser he uses though).

Once your car's prepped make sure you've got a clean spray bottle, fill it with just plain water from the tap (I don't think it matters whether it's cold or warm, you just need something to use as a lubricant so the clay doesn't cling to your paintwork when you're working with it which I understand is very important, although thinking about it cold may help keep the clay rigged which I believe is important).

Take a small amount of the clay, I believe my brother just takes off a piece from the edge of the bar about a few cms thick, flatten it out in your hands, and spray the part of the car you want to start on with the water (I believe it's best to work in sections of the car, maybe starting with the bonnet, working your way gradually around to make sure you don't miss any parts).
Once the area you're claying is totally wet you begin to move the piece of clay over this area, as you do this it picks up the remaining particles that you can not get when washing with car shampoo.
As you finish each section and the piece of clay gets filled with dirt you must fold it over so that it's smooth and ready for the next part, apparently you don't need much of the clay to complete a car, it's my understanding that a bar should be able to do about five hatchback sized cars and you shouldn't need to do this process more than once every six months, provided that you properly wax and polish the car once you're done.

The end results IMO were fantastic, my brother is a perfectionist when it comes to cleaning his car and he was very impressed with the results as have many of our friends who have seen his car when it's been washed, clayed and waxed.
The clay makes the car perfect to wax and then polish afterwards, once this is done it's like looking into a very shiny mirror.
It won't get out scratches, proper paint correction is needed for that, but it will make your car look much cleaner than just ordinary washing and waxing.
Great results and ideal item to have in my opinion if you want to make your car ultra clean, I would definitely personally use this product if I drove and had a car!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best clay I have ever used., 8 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g
I bought this clay after I read the excellent reviews on this product. It can be used without a detailer spray and so I used it while my car was still wet after I had washed it. I also used it with a detailer lubricant where the car was drying and achieved excellent results. It glides even better over the car with a lubricant. What I love also about this product is the 200grams supplied which is twice as much as what most of its competitors offer for the same price! Also plastic box supplied with this product is a great idea for reusing the product at a later date. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really makes a difference, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g
If you haven't clayed before then I'd recommend giving it a go as it certainly removes all of your paint impurities leaving a smooth to the touch finish. I use it as a preparation stage for a polish and wax as claying will expose the paint to the weather. At the end of the day you get out what you put in and the fact that you can use Bilt with tap water means it's relatively inexpensive. I've used the Auto Glym clay with their detailer fluid the results were pretty much the same but you get more product with Bilt Hamber.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great results and excellent value., 19 Nov. 2014
John "John" (SURREY United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g
First time I'd tried a clay on my car, having previously just used a car shampoo before applying polish.

The instructions supplied are clear, I used 1/4 of the block on a small car, wetting the area with water from a plant sprayer to lubricate the clay.

It does take a bit of elbow grease to get the clay working and you do need to keep clay and surfaces lubricated, but once you're going, it is very effective. It lifts sap and spots that ordinary washing would have left behind and leaves the surface very smooth, ready for a coat of polish.

Only a couple of minor drawbacks. There was a little clay residue left in water on a couple of panels which dried streaky. This was simple to remove with a damp sponge, then shammied dry. Not a problem, just a little unexpected as there was no mention in the instructions.

Second thing I found was that on creases in the panel, the clay had a tendency to stick and deposit a little bit. I was having some trouble lifting this off at first - I tried running the clay block along it, but that seemed to just leave more clay. Found the trick was to run the clay at right angles to the crease, not along it - this picked up the clay residue. You live and learn!

A good product, very happy with the results and I will buy it again. It's good value for money, especially when you take into account that there's no need for an additional, expensive "detailing" spray to make it work.

John

5.0 out of 5 stars Bil Hamber Auto Clay Orig., 21 July 2011
This review is from: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g
Excellent delivery service. Best price inc. delivery found.
The product itself, surprisingly simple to use, even though I'd Googled and found plenty of detailing advice.
Cut a 1/4 piece off & mould a bit in your hands.
Only needed water to lubricate.
Light pressure to maintain surface contact and just 'feel' for the change, from a slightly abrasive motion, to a smooth flow across the paint surface. If you have a sense of touch, you can clay your car.
Within 2 minutes, all apprehension was gone.
I'd already bought detailing lube, but it wasn't required. Just water.
Folding in the slightly tainted surface was no real challenge, might as well be stiff play-dough!
Hope I can encourage another first-timer to take the plunge.
A final wash, paint-restorer and wax(hand) and I was still rubbing my hand from smooth bonnet, to rough wing for minutes after, amazed at the difference.
Obviously, it would be recommended to complete the whole car!
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb product only needs water for lubrication., 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g
I was told about this clay bar by a work colleague who is a vehicle body work painter and repairer. So I read up about it as it was a make I had never heard of before, and found that it was an award winning clay!

Comes exactly as its advertised and works amazingly. I initially bought it to get fallout off some of my cars body panels, found it was that good I used it on the whole car. You only need water to lubricate the panels which is great, so no need to but extra chemicals as you do with other clay bars.

The 200g bar will easily cut into quarters, and each quarter can be used on the whole car up to four-six time depending on the amount of contaminants on your paint work. You must wax or polish your car after using the clay bar, but after using the clay polishing is really easy as you now have a super clean detailed surface.

Overall this item is a great value for money, easy to use and the finish is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Labour of Love for your car, but worth it for the results, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g
Always sceptical of things that claim miracles. This however does what it says it will. I bought a second hand car in decent condition but after a week noticed that there were lots of tiny yellow blobs on it. Washing it did not remove them, even with serious elbow greas. So I decided I would try out my clay. All I can say is that yes it takes a while to do a large car, but it removed these drops (tree sap) and all the other gunk on my car and what a lovely glassy finish. You can literally feel the difference. What I also like about this product is that you can use just plain tap water, no expensive gimmicky products to make it glide across your car.

If you like your car and want to treat it and get all the tar sports, bird muck, tree sap etc etc off your pride and joy then buy this.
PS if you are afraid of effort and hard work don't buy it as it's a labour of love to do this.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one you want., 6 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g
This is the one to get, I've tried quite a few now as a car valeter and this one is quite simply the easiest to use as it works with water as a lubricant to produce fantastic results, mix that with the price as well, as a package this one is the clay bar you want.

Bilt Hamber Auto Clay Bar Regular 200g