4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet simple melodies, 11 Aug 2006
Growing up in the late 70's this album is ingrained as part of the sound-track to my youth. Never one to follow the crowd at the time I loved (and still do) this collection of tracks, some of which (unusually for the artist) have a sweet sentiment of their own, while others are just plain curious additions to the selection here.

His better known (and, to my mind, more forgettable) songs from the era are here - Daydreamer and the Puppy Song - but there's also a couple of gems that have been long forgotten. Summer Days is a sweet, happy song celebrating long, warm summers in that bitter-sweet period between child- and adult-hood.

My all-time favourite, Can't Go Home Again, captures so perfectly the happy times and wistfulness of a lost youth. In the days following 9/11 I found myself a Brit stuck on a week's vacation in New York - having survived the horrors I was anxious to escape Manhattan and took one of the first trains out, to Southport, MA. A lovely, sleepy town full of local colour, this song truly came alive for me - it'd be so perfect for someone like Jamie Cullum to re-interpret today.

The final track - Hold On Me - I can still remember every word of, some 30 years on.

The oddity on this album is Bali Ha'i - until you realise this track is a tribute to his mother - Shirley Jones(who also appeared in the Partridge Family tv show) - who starred in the stage version of the show South Pacific.

If you're looking for a typical example of 70's pop - or of the teeny-bop phenomenon that characterised the artist's other recordings - this isn't it. But if you're interested in sweet songs with simple melodies ... keep an open mind and give it a try!

Album tracks:

10. Can't Go Home Again

11. Preyin' On My Mind

12. Hold On Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Album, 12 Oct 2011
David Cassidy is an underratted singer who made some wonderful records in the 70's. I admit that I didn't like him in the early 70's because only girls liked him then. What a terrible mistake that was as I later found. First heard this album in 1977 and it has been one of my favourites ever since. Every track is a classic with Can't Go Home Again the standout among a collection of standouts.

This album is a classic and I can't recomend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars David at his best, 3 Aug 2011
Have always loved this cd because i bought it many years ago on vinyl but havent heard it for ages until I received cd format. This cd is so great and I havent stopped listening to it so different from Partridge Family music and even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cassidy comes of age, in style, 2 Jan 2011
As I didn't really start listening to music until the summer of 1973, I kind of 'missed' a lot of David Cassidy's hits. I'd never bothered with 'The Partridge Family' so the first time I was properly introduced to him was when 'Daydreamer/The Puppy Song' (Double A Side!) was released in October. Of course, even I was aware that Cassidy was a huge star, but I was more of an Osmonds guy, to be honest. I suppose, on reflection, I shouldn't have been listening to either!

Still, 'Daydreamer's irresistable charms pulled me in and I bought the single (on dear old Bell records) in the week it debuted at #8 in the charts. It was and still is a lovely pop song, sweetly sentimental and perfectly performed. It was one of those records that appealed not just to Cassidy's primarily young fanbase but to everyone else too.

So, the single became David's last truly massive hit and the album it came from, 'Dreams Are Nuthin'... soared to #1 on the back of it. I didn't buy the LP then. I discovered it m-a-n-y years later at a flea market, noticable more for it's fancy gatefold sleeve than anything else. I wasn't honestly expecting much from it. A lot of water had passed under the bridge for sure and Cassidy's heyday had long gone...

It's hard to imagine how Cassidy's fans would have reacted to this album upon it's release. Lulled in by 'Daydreamer', if they were expecting more obvious pop hits they would have been disappointed, but 'Dreams' is an astonishingly good and mature album. Considering he was only 23 at the time, who'd have thought he could co-compose and perform so movingly a track as heartfelt was 'Can't Go Home Again'? Or pull off a version of 'Bali Ha'i', surely something that shouldn't have worked, with such aplomb?

There are pop treats too. The wistful 'Summer Days' and the upbeat 'Preyin' On My Mind' are first rate and let's not forget his great reading of Nilsson's 'The Puppy Song', another treat on this eclectic album that prove his yodelling skills are above reproach!

The one thing back then, and now, I feel is that Cassidy was never given due consideration for his vocals. It was easier to label him a pretty boy who got his break due to family connections than to actually listen and discover that he has a remarkably beautiful voice. I would say he has the smooth, honeyed tones of a male Karen Carpenter. Not a compliment I throw around lightly as I consider her to be one of the greatest singers off all time. But Cassidy does have that ability to draw you in and make you think he's singing the song just for you, as Karen did.

I heartily recommend this rather expensive Japanese CD. His first 2 albums, 'Cherish' and 'Rock Me Baby' are more readily available and are cheaper than this, and while both have their merits and their fair share of hits, 'Dreams' is, for me, his best album of the 70's.

This CD has been remastered beautifully, rest assured there's no compression here, and the whole thing sounds superbly musical and natural. There are 2 versions of this CD. The standard jewel box edition, which is the one Amazon are selling here, and the superb MLPS one which replicates the LP's lovely unusual artwork perfectly. I'd go for the latter if you can find it, but both editions feature the same master so you won't lose out soundwise.

Hopefully in 2011, enough time has passed for people to mention David Cassidy's name without smirking and for them to appreciate this beautiful, and ahead of it's time, album. Enjoy it.

ARRAY(0xb13b69c0)