5.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic surprise
Well, I bought this on the strength of nostalgia. Having recently watched Danny Dyer again in "The Business" and loving the soundtrack, I hankered for a bit of 80s music and I decided to give this album a shot.
Published on 7 May 2010 by DavyA

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Again????
Hi all,

It's worth noting that this release is not remastered, contains no bonus tracks, therefore, if you own this already, you will not be getting anything that you don't have already.

Apparently there will be a double cd released "next year"
Published on 6 Oct 2009 by Paul Chapman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Again????, 6 Oct 2009
Paul Chapman - See all my reviews
Hi all,

Apparently there will be a double cd released "next year"

5.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic surprise, 7 May 2010
DavyA (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Audio CD)
I do remember at the time thinking how over hyped they were and getting annoyed that at almost every teenage party I went to , someone HAD to put this album on.
Time has mellowed me I think and I have found the revisit a very enjoyable one. Listening carefully to this album (rather than hearing it as background noise, whilst drunk on cider, cheap lager or vodka at aforementioned teenage parties) I have been pleasantly suprised at the quality - the "hits" are evident stand outs but the whole album works extremely well and the production is the key.
A far higher standard of music than I remembered (although maybe I'm just at that age when everything from my youth sounds better ??) and a producer who really pulled out all the stops.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Best Albums I Own!!!!, 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Audio CD)
On a personal note, I have always known Frankie's standout tracks - 'Relax', 'Two Tribes' and most of all, 'The Power of Love'. Before and during Christmas of 2010, I became infatuated with 'The Power of Love' because it was being played all the time due to its' Christmas 'theme', if you will. Then, I heard about this album and the supposed 'classic' status it was meant to have. So, seeing it on sale in the January sales of last year (at the time of writing), I picked it up and the rest is History!!!!

From that first listen onwards, I was hooked to Frankie. I mean, for a band that was, quite literally, a **** take, they really have created a "Classic" here, and I do not say that often with albums!! Each of the band members were just "lads on the dole in Liverpool", according to lead singer Holly Johnson, before making this record. To think of things that way just leaves me speechless.

The album itself, upon first listen, is "dated" - a real throwback to the '80s. The Nixon/Reagen impersonator on the record should clarify that... but this is an album that I consider to be as fresh today as it ever was back then. There's not a song that I don't particularly like - everything 'flows' together wonderfully. My favourite song is, of course, 'The Power of Love' - "one of the best love songs ever written", Gary Barlow said that, I do believe! A very close second would be the track 'San Jose', simply bliss!

There's also a pretty class cover of Bruce Springsteen's 'Born to Run' on this and a remix/cover of the Motown Edwin Starr classic, 'War'.

Final verdict, Buy This! It may seem "dated" now, but post-first listen, you will not be saying that at all, just my two cents!

Buy it. Money well spent!!

Thanks for reading this. I hope it helps.

Buyer Beware: Just to note, there is a slight problem with the Track listing of this record, especially on iTunes. I can't exactly describe the issue here, but when you burn the disc to an iTunes Library, you should see the problem pretty easily. Just so you, the buyer, are aware of it prior to purchase. In the heel of the hunt, not a big issue at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Art School Feel, 27 May 2014
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Audio CD)
Welcome to the Pleasuredome was a joy when it came out and has plenty of power and freshness. Some have argued that the inclusion of cover versions does very little for the album, but I don't think that detracts greatly from the overall feel of what was a double album when it came out on vinyl.

The whole thing has an art school feel to it - screeching noises mixed in with Ferry Across the Mersey and a variety of other links that seem to work well. Here was a dance record that crossed over thanks to rock and pop sensibilities and there were plenty of highlights. The title track, although long, was never over-cooked and Relax and War earned their own notoriety through radio play or lack of it.

The whole thing hangs together extremely well and the big ballad The Power of Love was a triumphal conclusion to the whole effort. Sadly Holly Johnson and the guys could never keep it together long enough to build on the success of what became a one off although Johnson did go on to have short-termed success as a solo artist.

5.0 out of 5 stars FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD - WELCOME TO THE PLEASUREDOME, 31 Mar 2010
This review is from: Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Audio CD)
I HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS TO BE A CLASSIC.... I WOULD BUY IT STRAIGHT AWAY.... IT IS ALL KILLER....

5.0 out of 5 stars Re Living my youth, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Audio CD)
I used to have this album many years ago and then lost it a long time ago. I recently heard Two Tribes on the radio and decided to buy it again - I had forgotten how awesome this album is and I am listening to it a lot at the moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars k.oglesby, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Audio CD)
welcome to the pleasurdome is still a good album after thirty plus years and is still worth buying today if you have not got it already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cd & perfect service!!, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Audio CD)
My dad purchased wore his last one one out, this cd has a bonus cd so it's better than his original, very Happy dad :-) x

4.0 out of 5 stars A good mix, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Audio CD)
This is a good cd to listen to its got a lot of tracks mixed together you can just put it on a listen

5.0 out of 5 stars Reissue of a classic, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Audio CD)
Got this as a gift..and it has been a really popular choice! Sounds great..and a real buzz from the past!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Welcome To The Pleasuredome
Welcome To The Pleasuredome by Frankie Goes To Hollywood (Audio CD - 2013)