5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best US shows in years
I was completely hooked on this series from episode 3 when my daughter begged me to watch it with her as it was apparently "scary" ! It is one of the best shows to come out of the USA - right up alongside Lost, 24 and ER in my opinion. Yes the whole vampire "thing" is everywhere these days, but what I love about The Vampire Diaries is the story of the founding families of...
Published on 25 Aug 2010 by Alli

3.0 out of 5 stars Great show - Shame about blu-ray quality...
I love the show, "The Vampire Diaries" and never miss an episode on ITV2, I would reccommend it to all "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" fans and fans of the "Twilight Saga" films.
Featuring all 22 episodes I was in my element watching this. However a few things stuck out to me like a sore thumb when watching the blu ray version.

The picture quality varies from...
Published on 14 Jan 2011 by Gaming Girl

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing...just buy it!, 30 Dec 2012
There are some amazing reviews on here, just read them and take a punt. You will not regret investing in this series. Infact why not get season 2 too! You won't regret it and you will be ready for series 3 in the autumn of 2013!

If you enjoyed the Twilight series, then be prepared for something utterly superior in every conceivable way. Vampire Diaries is Shakespeare when compared to the shambles that was the Twilight saga, which was made for the teen market. With its elegance and sophistication, it can be enjoyed by young and old alike. My husband and I who are in our forties have enjoyed this series immensely.
The chemistry between the actors is scorchio! Ian somerhalder smoulders as Damian, and is a definite plus factor for the ladies; whereas the enchanting Elena is the eye candy for the guys.

If you have a fascination for vampires and enjoy a vampire love tryst that twists and turns and leaves you wanting to watch the next episode immediately, then buy now. You will not be disappointed!7

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, 3 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries - Season 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I bought The Vampire Diaries after reading the book series, although the back story of some of the characters are different the base line remains the same, if you have read the books and are eager for more I would recommend this. I often find watching a series or movie after reading the book it was based on to be a disappointment as it never reaches my expectations, with this I was happily surprised as it is a new story but sticks to the best bits about the books. If you're the type of person who wants the series to be exactly like the books this is not for you, if you've never read the books this is great for you as you won't feel like you're missing out on part of the story or that you need to read the books after watching it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series!, 21 July 2011
Great story lines & just a little bit scary. Vampire Diaries has it all including Damon Salvatore. Makes me want to turn!
Can't wait for series 2 & 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 July 2011
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries - Season 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
A lot of people choose to judge this as just 'another vampire tv show' cast off, but that is before they actually give it a chance to watch it! My first episode I watched was a random one midway through season 2! and despite not entirely understanding it, I loved it and have now watched every episode. People seem to be too quick to judge saying its too like twilight, true blood etc, but actually if you give it a chance it is completely different, I love twilight as much as any other but if I had to chose between them it would be TVD all the way. Many say that its a copy of twilight and while I will admit that I think the twilight film did come out first, the book came out i think 2004ish whereas LJ Smith wrote the vampire diaries back in 1991!! You watch the first episode and its good, nothing overly special but still good all the same, you keep watching throughout the 1st and 2nd season and it leaves you thinking wow! In my opinion it is one of THE best written TV shows ever aired and i'm not even going to get into the casting, all I will say is there is not a singular bad actor in this show and Dobrev, Wesley and Sommerholder (Elena, Stefan and Damon) are without a doubt the perfect actors for the given roles. 100% 5* rating. I would recommend this to anyone - I have even got my 43 year old mother enjoying it with me! Just buy it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware, you will become obsessed!, 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries - Season 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I remember reading about Vampire Diaries in American magazines and websites, so learning about the storyline, i thought it was going to be like any other Vampire drama... But it's not, (even though the pilot episode was a bit of a drag, you still get introduced to main characters and get a feel of it), it's exciting, dark, humourus and romantic! The story lines will suck you in and you will start to feel for the main characters, Elena, the human beauty who vampire brothers, Stefan (Kind hearted, 'vegetarian vampire' and madly in love with Elena) and Damon, the arrogant, sexy, 'evil' vampire, who is a complete opposite to Damon, who seems evil on the outside, but as you progress through the series you really get to see him for who he really is, and dare I say it, the heart of the show... Aside from the three main characters, the supporting cast is also very good, with Elena's best friend Bonnie, who is a witch, Caroline Elena's frenemy, Matt Elena's ex boyfriend and Alaric Saltzman, the new teacher with a secret and a dark past.
Overall, this is a definite 5 star, just for great storylines, great acting, great mood, great music and just all round amazing.
You will not regret buying this if you love vampires, romance, and drama and a little bit of comedy and romance...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great show - Shame about blu-ray quality..., 14 Jan 2011

The picture quality varies from shot to shot. You can be watching one scene with over the shoulder shots of two characters having a conversation and one shot will be perfectly crisp, to the point where you can see the pores in their skin, and then the next shot will be extremely fuzzy. It is mainly the nighttime shots (scenes where there clearly isn't much light) and due to the nature of the show, that tends to be pretty often.

Another star was also knocked off for sound quality. The menu of the DVD is quite loud in comparison to the actual show itself, and watching this with my usual perfect set up of a Playstation 3 and Sony 5.1 Surround Sound System, I had to turn it up at least 10 points higher than I would normally for any other blu ray/dvd, and I even watched it with English Subtitles because of this.

That being said I am really pleased that my brother bought this for me for Christmas. I enjoyed the extra features of deleted scenes (not HD quality) and the gag reel (seemed better quality in places than the show itself!). The audiobook was also an extra that I was pleased with as I didn't know about it till opening the booklet inside.
Talking of the booklet, as all four discs come in one blu ray case the mechanics are slightly bigger and creases the corners of the booklet, but I'm being rather fussy now...
I'm wondering if the dvd set might be better upscaled by my dvd player in comparison to the blu ray?

All in all a great set but maybe not worth the extra cash for the blu ray transfer. 3 STARS

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries - Season 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Probably the first USA TV show I fell in love with. I heard that twilight was a copy of the the vampire diaries and vice versa so I wanted to see if there was a difference. There are plenty of differences and the two stories are not similar at all, apart from the fact where the main girl falls in love with a vampire.
The series kept me gripped the whole way through and I think season 1 was the best season. The characters can really act well and the twists were brilliant. Very different From the books however but still brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not like the books, but that might just be a good thing., 3 July 2010
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries - Season 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
When it comes to adaptations, it takes a lot to impress me. My most recent disappointment came in the form of hack job The Last Airbender. Put a fork in M. Night Shyamalan, he is done.

Firstly, let me say that you are not hearing this from some die-hard tweeny Twilight fan.
Secondly, I HAVE read the book series of Vampire Diaries and hadn't been blown away, but they were enjoyable enough. So I was dubious when I heard about a TV adaptation. My suspsicions could not have been more wrong. It starts off a little wobbly but stick with it, as it most certainly improves. The actors take a little time to settle into their characters (with the exception of Ian Somerhalder, who plays Damon. I have never seen a more brilliantly cast television actor).

The series is wonderfully cast with some familiar faces, the script is almost flawless with some fantastic quips and the cliffhangers are unforgettable. The characters are real [yes, even the non-human ones!] and are all likeable in their own ways. The show has become hugely successful very quickly for a reason. And you'll love the brilliantly worked love triangle between Elena and the two brothers.

There are some unanswered questions that may need explaining [and hopefully will be later on], for a start, why Elena and Katherine look so similar. But don't look to the books for answers, because you won't find them there either. But plot holes are scarce and when they do occur, are usually very insignificant.

This show isn't just for vampire lovers, but it's certainly a must have for your collection if you are a fan of such a genre. I was never a huge fan of vampires but I have been thoroughly converted. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Even if you are a die hard fan of the books, I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST TV SHOW I'VE SEEN IN YEARS!!!!!!!!!, 19 May 2010
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries - Season 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I first heard of this show last year during the whole `Twilight' phenomenon and was apprehensive about watching it as I thought it was just going to be `Twilight' for TV, like so many others also thought. One evening when I had nothing to do I decided to watch the pilot episode and I actually enjoyed it. I then decided to watch the second episode and enjoyed it even more so I had a feeling I would enjoy this show. However, it wasn't until I saw Episode 4, "Family Ties" that I really became hooked and haven't looked back since. This show beats `Twilight' by a LANDSLIDE! :-)

As the episodes progress we get an excellent insight into the characters, who are all really likeable. The story centres around 17-year-old Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev), who lost her parents in a car crash four months prior to the first episode but she somehow survived as she was in the car at the same time. She lives with her 15-year-old brother, Jeremy (Steven R. Mc. Queen) and their aunt Jenna, who is their sole legal guardian. When visiting her parents' grave at the cemetery, she meets the mysterious Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley), who has returned to Mystic Falls after some length of time. Unfortunately for him, his older brother Damon (Ian Somerhalder) has also decided to show up in town in order to cause misery for his brother in regards to something they fell out over - something that took place in 1864, which proves that the brothers are not human but are, in fact, vampires.

I won't elaborate too much on the storyline itself but if you're expecting it to be exactly like the books its based on, it's NOTHING like them but in the earlier episodes there are a few nods to them. The writers have taken the basic plot of them (girl meets boy, they fall in love, boy turns out to be a vampire) but have made up their own story, which is by no means a bad thing at all as each episode has kept me hooked each week and the fact that each one ends on a cliffhanger has made the weekly wait that much worse (but I mean that in a good way, of course!)

The cast is absolutely brilliant and I have to commend the casting person/people on that one. The three main leads are as follows: Nina Dobrev, who is extremely likeable as Elena and doesn't come across as being awkward like Bella in the `Twilight' movies, Paul Wesley, who looks very like Edward Cullen but suits the role of the brooding Stefan Salvatore really well and is just trying to make the most of his existence in 2009/2010 Mystic Falls and lastly, Ian Somerhalder, who is absolutely FANTASTIC as evil brother Damon Salvatore and even though at first we're not sure whether we should like him or not throughout the season you'll see that he is just a really, really misunderstood individual - something that I'm sure many people can relate to. I will be very surprised if he doesn't get a load of award nominations/wins as he really manages to make the role his own.

The cast doesn't just stop at the main leads as many of the other characters also have ties to the town's history in some way - Bonnie (Katerina Graham), Caroline (Candice Accola), Matt (Zach Roerig) and Tyler (Michael Trevino). They are all excellent and they all have problems in their own lives, which are quite easy to relate to, whether it be self-esteem issues or family matters. They are all very interesting to observe and sympathise with.

Before I really lose myself in this review, I will just say that it has been an absolute thrill watching this show (best TV show to air since LOST, in my opinion). The writers can give themselves a pat on the back in the knowledge that they have really got onto a winner with this one and as long as they keep coming up with such intriguing storylines, I will be a loyal fan for however long the show lasts.

I cannot wait to own this on DVD and I also can't wait for Season 2 to air in September! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars SEEN ON TV - 1 star reviewers are muppets!!!, 4 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Vampire Diaries - Season 1 [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
Not seen on DVD but just watched on TV via Sky+ series link. Could not wait for the next episode - my wife who hates this kind of stuff was glued to the TV. IGNORE all the stupid comments from anyone who gives this less than 5 stars. So Elena is not blonde - whatever, she is drop dead gorgeous, Stefan does not have black hair - who gives a monkey, he has a six pack to make Usher jealous and Damon could talk even a straight man into bed... and I've not even got on to how sexy the witch is or how many twists and turns there are in the story. Buy, watch it, trust me...

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›