4.0 out of 5 stars I love it when I'm wrong sometimes.
I didn't buy this album immediately when it came out. I've been a Muse fan right from the start, when people were saying they were just a second-rate Radiohead. I knew they were all wrong. But when Black holes came out, I found myself really disappointed. The initial listening of a Muse album has always been an event for me, and after my first listen of Black Holes, I...
Published on 30 Nov. 2009 by K. Robey

3.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, though rather mixed bag, not without flaws.
To my ears, Muse have not particularly developed at all on this record, not that this should be a problem. They really have carved out their own niche / hole, being a more fun Radiohead meets Queen, ELO, and Nirvana. At times, Bellmay's voice can also sound more Johnny Rotten than Freddy Mercury, which is very welcome, and I've always felt there are, at times, hints of...
Published on 12 Sept. 2010 by The Sad One

‹ Previous | 1 2 335 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars growing up, 30 Oct. 2009
J. Davison "chewie71" (Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
It seems a bit hasty to say this album is a mix of Queen and Pink Floyd but it does feel like the Muse boys have been digging through some british music greats, I really enjoy this album the 1st track has been likened to the Dr Who theme (a Chris Moyles thing I think). If you are a Muse fan you will love the way that their music is growing up, and if you havent tryed them out before I recommend this album, you can select tracks to rock out to or enjoy the whole album as an experience. a great album no disappointments!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 17 Sept. 2009
Amicie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
This is a stunning album, with some of the most beautiful, powerful music I've heard in a very long time. Some of the music is so lovely I could almost cry - especially the "symphony" at the end of the album. All in all a work of maturing genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars Muse do a Freddy, 16 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
Part of me wants to say this is a cross between Radiohead, Queen and the Alan Parsons Project.

Part of me doesn't, cos that might make it sound as if it's rubbish, which this patently is not.

Don't be fooled into thinking this is classical music either. It is classically influenced overblown prog. And there's nothing wrong with that in my book.

In short, this is highly entertaining prog rock opera. A bit more Freddy Mercury than Mercury Music Prize perhaps ?

For more symphonic rock fun, may I gently prod the listener in the direction of some alternatives...
Nightwish, Epica, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Therion etc... There's a lot of it about and has been for some time.

And if ripping off Chopin is your bag, then dig out a bit of South Amrican prog metallists Angra, who do a splendid version of Chopin Nocturne in C minor !

4.0 out of 5 stars Most Enjoyable, 5 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
Bought this album largely on a hunch, as I tend to be into slightly heavier stuff these days.

Actually very enjoyable, kind of a cross between prog-rock, nu/lite-metal and electronica. I can't say I found any particular similarity to Pink Floyd but the Queen influence is evident on the middle tracks and at times the singer reminded me of (Roy) Khan of Kamelot - indeed some of the music is reminiscent of the Kamelot style. My favourites are probably the first two tracks (Track 2 reminded me of Robert Miles) and the three part closing section (Tracks 9, 10 and 11).

If I had any negative comment, it's probably that in places the music lacked a bit of weight. Sounded either as if the band needs better instruments or a stronger, deeper mix.

Anyhow I'm sufficiently impressed that I'm off to check out the back catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning New Album, 30 Oct. 2009
K. A. Worthington (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
As per the Hype, this is experimentation in new areas for Muse. There are throwbacks to the 70's and 80's, with a very 'Queen' flavour to it. Ultravox's Vienna even gets a look in. Some of the electronics are a bit 'twee' but overall this is a fabulous mixture, classical, rock, alternative and a very big sound. Matt's genius shines through in Exogenisis. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Resistance, Muse, 10 Nov. 2009
P. E. Kadow "erich the half a b" (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Resistance (MP3 Download)
A really great album that bristles with ideas and surprises. The pace varies dramatically with slower, quieter pieces set amongst the more shrill, operatic tracks and in some ways is reminsiscent of the sort of prog rock concept album you associate with the 70s. Definitely recommend it (and that's coming from me who wouldn't ordinarily buy a Muse album!).

5.0 out of 5 stars five for five, 2 Jan. 2011
ds "Lagerd" (West Allis, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
It should come as no surprise that as muse grows in popularity their music becomes more mainstream. That is a hard and fast truth that has repeatedly been proven correct throughout the history of popular music. The pop radio sheen has been polished brightly for this record. THE RESISTANCE is not like SHOWBIZ or SYMETRY, two earlier recordings that typified their youth and exuberance whereby the song's inherent energy trumped production. But even then they appeared to possess a grander vision of where they're headed. Their penchant for a larger-than-life sound, and anthemic showstopper mentality was apparent as young up-and-comers. Given the breakthrough of ABSOLUTION and the overwhelming success of BLACK HOLES it's only natural that this album would continue in that path toward Int'l stardom. Consequently, it's at this point in the progression that I usually lose interest in a given artist. What works for this band since the beginning is a combination platter of loud, razor-sharp guitars, obtuse lyrics, rich, layered vocal harmonies and classically-infused (nocturne-like) piano passages. The latter are also the components that many detractors obsess upon. Isn't it curious that those who routinely resort to tired old cliches like self-indulgent, bombastic and pretentious when criticizing progressive and art rock are themselves guilty of self-indulgence, pretension and verbosity in their own writing and (more insidiously) in their thought process? They know better than the unwashed, uncultured masses.

This is simply another superbly artful endeavor by muse. Matthew Bellamy's ambiguous lyrics and showy playing is at the core of this band. He has endured the unjustifiable accustations of being a Thom Yorke ripoff, which have finally been silenced. Now it's Freddie Mercury and Brian May that he's beholden to? Well, he's certainly not the first artist to dare reveal his influences. It's that melting pot of experience, talent and influences that yield the most meaningful, enduring and controversial art.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Political and Fun Creation, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
The songs on this cd are very fun, energetic, and thought provoking. For example, "Uprising" makes you think of the importance of why it is better for people to be more united when it comes to standing up to their government. The video to the song really gives it more dimension. It is really weird but creative at the same time because of the teddy bears utilized in the video that are making some angry faces. I was intrigued to watch the video to understand the song some more, and also because "Uprising" is my husband's favorite song. My favorite part of the "Uprising" song is where the Muse Frontman Matt Bellamy sings "If You Could Flick a Switch, and Open Your Third Eye, You'd See that We Should Never Be Afraid to Die". The reason why I enjoy that part of the song is because it symbolizes to me the importance of seizing opportunities in life even if you intend to joyfully live a long life. I believe the song "Resistance" is about how what is wrong or right in love is shaped by whoever is perceiving it (depending on the person). My personal favorite song of this album is "Undisclosed Desires" song. It has a very original beat, and very romantic lyrics. "Undisclosed Desires" is a song that many are going to enjoy regardless of one's romantic level. "Undisclosed Desires" is a beautiful message about someone that wants to have a passionate affair with someone regardless of what may have transpired in that individual's past. It is suprising to me that the "Undisclosed Desires"has yet to see radio airplay where I live because it is very enjoyable. Overall, this collection is going to appeal to many who enjoy pop and/or rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Muse: The Resistance, 18 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
Muse is one of the few band which doesn't make you feel nostalgic when a new album comes out. The resistance is a perfect example of this. While in "Black holes and revelation" I can still find some little things to complain about, with this last work it's really difficult. I liked the album from the first listen, and I'm absolutely loving it listening again and again to each song. Let's go (I'll try my best) to a more objective review.

Muse experimented a lot with this album, and they had a great result in diversity and originality, both from a vocal and musical point of view. The album contains some famous quotations in the right place and time, without going over the maximum level commonly accepted for a citation. In the first single, United States of Eurasia, you'll find a great recall of the Queen, and one of the most beautiful ending in the album, the masterpiece of Fredrick Chopin nocturne op.9 n.2. In my opinion, this is the best track, even if it's really difficult to make a choice.
In this and other tracks it's present a violin orchestra which gives a great touch to the songs. The album is technically perfect, they worked a lot to put the perfect riffs, sounds and voices in the right places. You'll find out this background by watching the exciting DVD "The Making of" (PAL region 2-3-4-5, English only, no subtitles) with a lot of scenes, almost all taken during their job. The DVD bring 3 points of extra value:
- it's a great extra for all the fans
- it will help everyone to listen carefully to every song from a different point of view
- after watching it, probably you will like even the tracks that you (eventually) didn't like at the first listen.

The last tracks of the album are Exogenesis Symphony part 1-2-3 which maybe are the most similar to the traditional sound of Muse. These are definitely among the best songs in the albums, because of the sounds, the rhythm and the atmosphere.

We could underline just one "bad" side, if we really want to find one. The talent of Matthew is not fully expressed nor through some guitar virtuousness or riff (this aspect of the guitar is in the background) and neither through a lot of piano pieces, except in a pair of songs. (That is to say, you don't have a song as Butterflies and Hurricanes...). But I'm sure his wonderful voice virtuousness will cover the lack.

In the end, price is fair, package is great and made of thin cardboard, not glossy; inside you'll find a small book with the lyrics of all the songs, some artworks and, of course, the CD and the DVD, even if they are not so comfortable to unfold with care.
I hope the review will be helpful, it's my first review and I'm sorry for my English. I'm completely satisfied with this package, I really liked the Muse in the origin and now I love them even more. 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars The Resistance - A Creative Bombshell, 7 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Resistance (Audio CD)
Muse have outdone themselves yet again with this album. Being a loyal fan ever since their first album, Showbiz, I have become almost obsessive with their music. To me it feels so unique and different while still having obvious influences to make it more approachable to first time listeners. If anything, the whole album showing the diversity of music Muse are able to create, with each album having something new to offer. Although one might dislike the way Muse have progressed (for instance having less hard rock riffs from Origin of Symmetry and replacing them with more classical and alternate sounds such as in the songs "Undisclosed Desires" and "United States of Eurasia") it is made up for by the creativity and feeling in every song.

The Resistance is also incredibly theatrical, which is not so different from their other albums but it differs in the approach it has to creating the drama. The frustrations and anger towards corruption in the lyrics and the powerful music set a series of different moods throughout the whole album, from sadness to inspiration.

"United States of Eurasia" is one of the main examples of outside influences, as it also expresses inspirations from Queen before going into a more eastern styled riff which sounds as if it isn't meant to work, being as vastly different from the great rock sound Queen make, but instead I found myself enjoying the music even more and finding the two styles oddly fit. The classical influences are the most prominent in The Resistance which could be off-putting for some but I find it shows that Muse have not reached their creative bounds yet (if they have any at all) and they still have much more to offer. So for these reasons I hope you enjoy the music as much as I did and give this alternative production a try.

‹ Previous | 1 2 335 | Next ›