5.0 out of 5 stars Quality
Let me start by saying that it is not normal for me to take the time to write a review. I find that very few products meet my high expectations, however in this instance I am compelled to share my experience with others.
Published on 7 Sept. 2010 by Bradley

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad build quality- not worth the price - ZERO stars
Now that the second one stopped working I have given up with these. One failing maybe OK but two means a serious flaw with the design or bad quality in the design. I now have a pair from 7dayshop which seem to work fine for a small fraction of the price!
Published on 2 May 2011 by P.Mc

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 7 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 400 Wireless Stereo Bluetooth Headset (Electronics)
The purpose of me purchasing these headphones was to go with my new iPad. They paired instantly and I was anxious to clarify the lip sync delay reported by some users whilst watching video. I can confirm that there is no audio delay when watching video on iPad. That is to say the dialogue you hear in the headphones is in sync with what you are watching. Repeating myself there is NO LIP SYNC ISSUE ON iPAD.
These headphone can control the Play/Pause and volume up/down features on both iPad and Iphone. The track skip and fast forward/rewind aren't presently supported on Apple products however this is not the fault of the headphones. They do contain the technology but it is the iPad and iPhone bluetooth firmware that do not, so the headphones are not at fault and I am somewhat bemused how other people writing reviews on this product deduct points/marks/stars for this issue. All the features will be fully supported when Apple update their bluetooth firmware in a future update.
When your iPhone rings it will mute your music and you hear the ring tone in the headset and by pressing the large call answer button you can accept the call. The microphone on the earpiece is almost invisible and I was astonished at the quality of the call and so was the person on the other end of the phone. When you or the other person hangs up by pressing the large button on the headset your music resumes playing where you left off. Enough Said.
I imagined that the five control buttons on the right side of the headset would be over complicated and confusing to use however they are not. They are easy to locate with your right hand and within a few minutes of practice you will have mastered their operation.
Sound quality is good. If like most of us your music has been ripped at 320kb or less then these headphones will do your music collection justice. If you are looking for reference series headphones and expect lossless quality audio then look elsewhere.
I am not going to repeat what other users have written but in summing up I feel liberated by these headphones and this is a quality product that does what it says on the box and it does it very well indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 3 Feb. 2011
Sound: the sound is very good (yes, I know this is subjective). Bass is present and actually has some presence, treble doesn't roll off noticeably at the top end even over bluetooth which surprised me. Overall the sound is very clear, neutral and natural -- it doesn't get wearing over time.

Fit: I've had any number of headphones over the years -- mostly Sennheiser but not all. I've a pair of closed HD250s and I've had open headphones and stick-the-rubber-in-your-ear headphones and the MM 400s are the most comfortable I've known.

Wearability: walking around, you don't get that under-water effect of the rubber-plug style in-ear headphones, and wind-noise isn't exaggerated in the way those headphones do either. The MM 400s block out enough sound, but not so much that you feel completely cut off (you can tell when someone wants to talk to you for example -- a good thing).

Wireless: I'm surprised at how much more wearable these are because of the lack of wires. Nothing catches, nothing drags, nothing pulls the phones off your ears, and yet the headphones are the right weight (i.e. light).

The wired connection, on my Google Nexus One, sounds about the same as through the bluetooth connection. I suspect that (as with other low-power devices) the headphone amp in the phone isn't really high quality so there's probably some roll-off on the high frequencies -- but it doesn't sound muffled. When you're using the bluetooth connection you're bypassing that headphone amp in the phone, and the sound is about the same -- impressive.

I'm really surprised -- I wear these phones at work and at home now in preference to supposedly better wired ones. They're comfortable, the sound is neutral and natural and doesn't become wearing over time, and when someone walks into the office to talk to me I tap the pause button on my right ear and slip them onto my neck -- walking off with them still in place if I like -- no wires.

Lip sync: for me, there's about 1/8 of a second of lag when watching video on our iPad. On my MacBook Pro there's no lag. And of course for music a slight lag isn't a problem.

Making a call: the sound is oddly good if you're used to making calls with a phone pressed to your ear :-) The microphone seems to work better than it has any right to (given it's so tucked away). I'm told I sound normal at the other end -- they can't really tell I'm using the MM400s.

Seriously, these are good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The quality really shows in these, 22 May 2010
M. Benham - See all my reviews
These headphones are amazing. For anyone who has used Bluetooth headphones before and tolerated the poor quality (especially high frequency sounds) this model conclusively blows them all away. The sound quality is almost on par with wired headphones. My old Sony Bluetooth headset and Sony Ericsson Bluetooth earphones are destined for the bin.

The best feature for me is the amazing sound insulation, no need to bother with the more expensive noise cancelling model - background noise is significantly cut. Even when you turn them up loud, the music can not be heard by anyone around. I can now play my music loud on the train without bothering other passengers.

All the accessories are included, even the cables seem to be made of better quality materials than usual. The price is high but is justified considering the build quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser almost get it right...for me, 6 Jan. 2010
My reasons for buying these headphones were as follows:
- To listen to mp3's on my Google G2 wired or wirelessly
- To listen to audio wirelessly on my Cowon Q5W
- To make and receive calls on my G2 both wirelessly and wired for when battery is low on either or both the headphones or my G2

- I am a fairly heavy user of headphones and needed something for an average of 3 hours use per day

Sound quality - I am really satisfied with the quality of audio when listening to mp3's. Obviously, I know that mp3 will not test the limit of the MM400's but suffice to say, they are, as you would hope, a huge improvement on the basic headphones supplied with my phone. It's great to hear basslines you didn't know existed!

Connection - This has been frustrating but I will lay this firmly at the feet of my G2 phone and NOT the MM400's. Often, I cannot get the phone to connect to the MM400's, like I said, I put this down the phone and not the headphones - For all you G2/Android users out there, the best way I find to get a connection is to switch phone Bluetooth ON, then switch MM400 Bluetooth on, then switch phone Bluetooth off (wait for phone to say disconnected) and then back on again!

I ran a quick test with an iPhone owning friend who was able to pair first time. But I would be very keen to hear how other iPhone users get on with connecting to the MM400's as I'm sure there are many more iPhones out there than Android phones.

Connecting the MM400's with my Cowon Q5W was successful every time.
I tested the range and call connection was not lost even at 10m. There was no noticable drop in quality over that distance either.

Usability - Once connected via Bluetooth the MM400's on-ear controls are easy to use. There are 5 buttons: 1 to Accept/Hang up call & Play/Pause audio; 1 to skip back; 1 to skip forward; 1 to increase inbuilt volume; 1 to decrease inbuilt volume. These controls are found on the right ear pad.

The one draw back for me is the inability of the MM400's to make use of the inbuilt mic when connected to your phone using the optional 3.5mm cable instead of Bluetooth. For example, if the MM400's have run out of battery and you use the 3.5mm cable instead of Bluetooth, the inbuilt mic will not pick up your voice on a call. I like the convenience of leaving my phone in my pocket whilst walking but, with the 3.5mm cable connected, I cannot be heard by the other caller unless I hold my phone close to my mouth, thus rendering the MM400's partially ineffective. Obviously, this is not a problem if you are connecting via Bluetooth all of the time, but the occasion will, no doubt, arise when the MM400's run out of power and you need to connect using the 3.5mm cable.

Other - the MM400's fold in a similar way to the PX100's. Similar but not the same - where the PX range arms cross when folding, the MM400's do not. Along with the 3.5mm cable, the MM400's are also supplied with an airline adapter, and a selection of 4 power outlest connections: UK, US, Europe and Australasia (2 pin). Carry case has a pocket to house all items plus a small front zip pocket.

Over all, I am very satisfied and would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sennheiser MM400 headset, 23 Mar. 2010
G. Lyons (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this headset to use both with my iPhone and my laptop (with which I make VOIP calls). Overall the sound quality of the headset is good (but not remarkable) and not having wires is fantastic.

Syncing with the iPhone is easy.

With my laptop, a Lenovo R400, syncing is more capricious - sometimes the laptop detects and enables the headset's mic, sometimes it detects the mic but doesn't enable it. I'm blaming Vista & the bluetooth drivers squarely for that. The most reliable way of getting it to sync properly is to have the headset turned on first, then turn the laptop on and let the laptop detect the headset as the laptop is booting.

The only negative point I would note is that there is a time delay on the bluetooth connection. This is not an issue if listening to music etc. only, but if watching video on the iPhone it frequently means the video and audio is out of sync. When this becomes too annoying I use the wire link.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bluetooth headphones I've tried, 14 May 2011
D. R. Cantrell (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The Sennheiser MM 400 is pricey at £160, but (provided they're reliable - I've only had them for a few months so far) worth it. They have an expandable band so will fit anyone; they are very comfortable to wear, even over a hearing aid, demonstrating that they put pressure in just the right places on the more solid parts of the ear and don't try to bend the fleshy parts out of shape; they grip the head well, and are perfectly stable even when worn with the band around the back of the neck, so the whole weight is supported by the earpieces' grip on your ears; they don't leak sound to annoy the person sitting next to you on the bus. They can also be used as a headset for making phone calls, although with no mic boom they don't do a great job of picking up your voice, and I wouldn't recommend buying them as a headset. I do, however, recommend them for use primarily as headphones and occasional phone calls.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not LOUD enough, 18 Dec. 2011
This is a nice set of headphones. Battery life is fab, connectivity (to iPhone) was a breeze but the overall volume is poor. I have changed ALL the settings on my phone (limits etc) but they are still not loud enough. They also lack bass.

I would still recommend these for wireless freedom, but don't believe the hype surrounding them. They are NOT as great as people state.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionary, 18 Feb. 2012
I freed myself from wires and bought a pair of these about 18 months ago and feel compelled to review.

Annoying headphone wires may not be an issue of worldly importance, but if you use headphones on a daily basis you have no idea how LIBERATING it is to own a pair of these.

If I had to pick any underrated consumer tech it would be bluetooth headphones. They've been around a while but i'm genuinely surprised more people don't use these - they're awesome.

- Great Sound Quality: Sennheiser nail the quality as usual, I firmly believe these are as good as any great pair of wired headphones.

- Incredibly Convenient: Once you've paired them initially (e.g. to your iPhone) whenever you turn them on they pair automatically within a few seconds, then you press a button (on the headphones) and your music resumes from wherever you left it - without even removing your phone from your pocket. No more messing around with tangled wires under clothing.

- Phone call functionality: Useful and convenient. Music fades out, ringtone (not too loud) fades in, you answer via a button on the headphones, when you finish music fades back in seamlessly.

- Battery: Lasts pretty long (recharge about once a week). You can also buy batteries separately if you need a spare or replacement - note that these can be charged independently of the headphones (charging light built into battery). Also uses a common USB cable to charge, so you can easily find them if you're not near your own.

- Perfect for travel: Folds perfectly into supplied case, not too big or heavy. Flight connection plug provided. These ones do a pretty good job a blocking out noise, despite no active noise cancelling built in.

To conclude, these are incredible. They've withstood heavy use and are future-proofed - no wires to break (after all these usually break first with headphones) and a replaceable battery.

Join the revolution!!

You'll never look back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Sennheiser product., 6 Jan. 2011
I already own a pair of their noise cancelling headphones for use on an airplane, but got my wife to buy me these wireless bluetooth headset for use with my ipad - and they deliver brilliantly. The sound quality is excellent, there is no a/v sync problems/delay...

On the downside, the fit is a little tight ( or maybe my head is too big?) and the blueflash signifying connection can be very irritating when watching my ipad in bed as the screen reflects the flash. Haven't found a way to turn off this flashing...

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 8 Sept. 2011
Had these headphones now for 24hrs. Initial thoughts. AWESOME.

Pro's

Sound quality is superb.
Pairs first time with iPhone 4 and A2DP enabled Laptop (Windows 7)
Really compact, lightweight and comfortable for hours of use.
Quick charge - about 3hrs.

Con's

Rubber cover for USB connection came away virtually immendiately. Not a big issue but still...

Overall. Delighted.