5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - and you can transfer your PC software to it too!
I bought my iMAC last Sunday after considering MACs for a while due to the ability to run Windows too if needed.

Published on 3 Mar. 2011 by Mr. M. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed
Positives: Powerful, beautiful screen and a relatively small footprint so it can fit anywhere.

Published on 14 Aug. 2011 by deci

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - and you can transfer your PC software to it too!, 3 Mar. 2011
Mr. M. Smith (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Apple iMac 27" All-In-One Desktop PC (LED Backlit Screen, 2.8Ghz Quad Core, Core-i5, 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD, ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics, Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) (Launched July 2010) (Electronics)

Anyway, it has exceeded expectations. I also bought a copy of Parallels with the aim of installing Windows and Ubuntu Linux on it since, as a software developer, I have a need to develop on both systems. To my surprise, I discovered that I could transfer the complete contents of my old PC to the iMAC over my wireless network. It took nearly 24 hours (!) but I now have my old PC running in a window on the iMAC or, with a couple of key presses, in full screen mode using the full resolution of the screen! The virtual WinXP PC runs much faster than it ever did on the old PC hardware too. So I have all the advantages of the MacOS as well as the ability to use my existing Windows applications. Parallels will also run Windows applications directly on the MAC desktop which is amazing!

So, if you are a Windows user looking to buy a beautiful looking PC without losing the ability to run your old Windows programs too, then I can wholly recommend the iMAC.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG Gorgeous, 30 Oct. 2010
One word GORGEOUS. The screen is stunning and the operating system a joy, this is what Vista wanted to be. Never crashes. My only reservation at this point is that the product like the Ipad is a sealed enclosure, if the hard drive fails then it is going to have to go back to the shop, there are really no user serviceable parts. I would recommend purchasing a 2 Terrabyte hard drive as using the Time Machine software which is built in this will backup your entire machine and give you peace of mind.

Other things: Incredibly quiet in operation
Keyboard will not be to everyones taste but is ok
Watch getting it out of the packaging as it is BIG, consider inviting a neighbour round to help you if you are single!
Lovely graphical transitions in the Operating system
Very fast operation, the OS was re-written in this version.
If you want a 'free' Office suite to go with this consider Open Office which runs well on this machine.
Plugs into your WiFi network with no hassle at all.

Fancy a swap from Windows, this is a no-brainer, lovely.

*****UPDATE: Had this machine about a year and a half now and still love it, get occasional problems with the wireless mouse losing its connection, this can be incredibly frustrating during a game, the solution to this is to connect a wired optical mouse via USB, currently I have a Microsoft optical mouse attached as I write this and it works fine! a mouse is a mouse! Also networking can be a little fiddly especially if you want to share folders between different operating systems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning, a real pleasure to use and own, 1 Nov. 2010
D. Robinson (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I am a long term Apple user, for the last 5 years I have almost exclusively used their notebooks.

Recently I purchased an iPad, my MacBook Pro was getting a tad long in the tooth and I want to play games such as StarCraft 2 and Dragon Age Origins as well as have a machine that can handle any work requirements that I throw at it.

Rather than pickup a new MacBook Pro and create another custom PC Gaming rig I decided to give this machine a shot as I no longer required a notebook due to the previously mentioned iPad now covering all of my mobile needs.

I am so pleased that I purchased this machine, the word quick does not sufficiently explain the speed of which this beautiful piece of hardware interacts with Mac OS X.

For an example, I can start Apple Mail, Safari and iTunes at the same time in just under 2 seconds, by the time I have finished clicking on iTunes Apple Mail and safari are already on the screen and iTunes takes a second longer. When you consider that my iTunes library is around 256gb large this is blazingly fast!

The screen is a delight, it's large, crystal clear and vibrant. I can easily have two Apple Pages documents open side by side with screen real estate to spare.

I could say so much more, but feel it's easier to sum up my experience. The iMac is elegant, quiet, cool to the touch at all times, stable and unimaginably fast. I genuinely cannot see how anyone could not fall head over heals in love with this stunning piece of engineering..... BUY IT NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bee's Knees, 25 Jan. 2011
My old PC was on its last legs, so needed replacing. I hummed and hahed for ages about whether to head down the Mac route having always used Windows. I am now so glad that I did!
This iMac is a triumph of both form and function. It's a breeze to use. Super fast and intuitive. Makes my old Windows Vista PC look like something from the dark ages.

Yes, it's huge. I need to modify my desk as if you sit too close to the screen, it can make your eyes sore. This is something that you really should consider before purchasing. The footprint is tiny due to the stand, but you do need to sit back to fully appreciate it.

It is silent or near enough when running. You just don't hear anything. My old PC's fan was constantly kicking in.

The screen resolution is nothing short of stunning. If you edit photos, this will be ideal. Also great for video editing. I downloaded some HD footage from iPlayer and it looked amazing.

The keyboard is tiny. That does take a little bit of getting used to. I do miss the number keys to the side, but it's a small price to pay.

The magic mouse, is quite simply magical. If you've used an iPhone, then you can scroll in a similar fashion simply by stroking the mouse. There are no buttons or scrollwheel. The two fingered swiping also makes web browsing much faster.

As usual with Apple products, they simply look gorgeous and function exactly as they should. The packaging was also top notch.

It's more expensive than a comparibly speced PC, but in my opinion, worth every penny. The only tiny tiny surprise is that it doesn't handle bluray as far as I can tell, but not having any discs, that is not an issue for me!

So if you're thinking about it, just buy it. I can't see how anyone would regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 27" iMac, 27 Jan. 2011
The mac has long been the computer of choice for professional and budding creatives. This 27 inch 'all in one' machine is no exception, offering an impressive and reliable system to even the most demanding users.

One of the main features of this imac is it's size; it's huge, there's no doubt about it. The LED driven screen instantly comes to life, showing a deep, vivid picture. Some people may not see the need for such a large screen, however for me it is more of a 'digital workspace'. I am able to have multiple programmes running side by side on the desktop without having to constantly switch back and forth between tabs. The impressive resolution, 2560 x 1440, means that the display is sharp and crisp, making it easy to find yourself gazing closer than you should be (despite the gigantic screen).

The computer, with 4gb of RAM, runs swiftly. Having multiple programmes open at the same time and running large pieces of software is something that this computer handles without a hint of strain. Even when conducting large scale photo editing, using big files and various hardware and software applications, the iMac still runs effortlessly.

Having also being a windows user, I find the Mac OS X a greater pleasure to use. The format of this operating system is efficient and smart, as well as being in tune with any hardware it interacts with. The provided accessories; the mouse and the keyboard are wireless devices, which automatically connect within seconds of turning them on.

The keyboard, although a little small, does it's job. The design is neat and ergonomic, although accurate typing can be a greater challenge than on a larger sized keyboard and, in a bid to keep it compact apple have also decided to lose the numeric keypad usually found on the side. Despite the downgrade of features on the keyboard the mouse, on the other hand has become slightly more functional. The 'magic' mouse is sleek and versatile, with a multi touch surface which enables you to scroll, swipe and click. It has the feel of a touch screen phone as you use your fingers to swipe down the mouse to scroll down your screen. At times it can be slightly over sensitive, but there's no doubt that once you get used to this nifty feature, you will find it hard to go back to your old mouse.

Among the other impressive features of the iMac, the connectivity ranks highly. The wireless technology is built in, enabling you to connect to the internet, networks and other computers and devices simply and quickly.

The mac has a few drawbacks such as compatibly issues with lesser known software not offering a mac friendly option. You can install windows onto the iMac, but this is not a perfect solution if you just want one operating system for all your applications.

Overall if you are looking for a computer which can offer you a powerful and efficient system and still be beautifully designed and elegantly stylish plus the added wow factor then this iMac definitely has it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars 27' iMac - New user review, 3 April 2011
I've been looking into iMacs for a couple of years now but have never had the money/courage to make the leap from Windows. With the arrival of the new intel processors and iMac's new Snow Leopard I finally made the jump 2 months ago and I can say it is a vast improvement in flexibility.

I've got a 27' i5 iMac with 12GB memory, which is a great power house. I've also invested in Parrallels software so I can have windows installed as well, making the most of my old windows software and getting best value from my new equipment and the new/old windows software. As an experienced windows/microsoft user, I'm finding the Mac OS a little tricky to find my way around and some things aren't easy to find or use. This is me and not the OS, I'm learning, slowly, but I'll get there.

The iMac i5 is a real powerhouse and a wonderful, stylish piece of kit that is by far the best machine on the market. With 12GB of main memeory, quad core processor and a fast 1TB hard disk, you don't wait long for any programs to load. Many people have mentioned how good the screen is and I'm no different, it is wonderful, clear, bright, crisp and shows a level of detail that I've never seen before. If you don't belive others, go to PC World, look at all of the top end PC's and then try an iMac, the back to back difference is truely remarkable.

Some say that connectivity is limited, this could be true but I only need a few USB ports (if you need more connect a powered hub), a gigabit network connection (the 54MB wireless is a bit slow for me) and a DVD re-writer. I connect my iMac through a gigabit switch to a NAS, then through to a 300MB wireless network so all data transfer is swift. This is all on a home system that hasn't cost the earth but does provide exceptional performance per pound.

The iMac seems expensive when you first buy it, but factor in the spec of the computer, the perfect screen, the compact form, low power consumption and the fact that it should easily last 5 to 7 years before needing upgrading then the total cost isn't bad at all and certainly no more than a normal PC. My problem with PC's is that I always buy top spec systems that need upgrading and replacing within 3 years, this makes it not as cheap as it should be, which is why I've gone down the Apple route, following some advice from friends in the know.

If you are considering changing to an iMac, do it, you will not be dissapointed. I now have the best of both worlds, Windows and Mac systems, in a compact, stylish and above all powerful computer which should last for a very long time. Just do it, you know you want to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best decision I ever made., 17 Dec. 2011
After twelve years using Windows on non-Mac PC's I bought an iMac for photo-editing and artwork. From that day on the only time I've switched on the old PC is to download files for transfer (very easy using an external hard drive). I'd heard rumours that it was hard to get used to the new operating system, but I found it easy and I'm an old lady.

I haven't missed anything about Windows, and love iWork Pages, and it's good to know that I can run Windows if I need to, but I doubt that I ever will, apart from gaming.

I've given this product five stars in spite of a few problems because it's such a brilliant machine overall. The only gripes are the glossy screen which irritates me when photo-editing, and intermittent static around the USB ports (I'm still looking for solutions to both).

But apart from that this iMac's speed, almost-silent running and superb operating system make this the best purchase I ever made. It's perfect for using Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS5. Watching films on it is a treat. The OS has so many advantages over Windows that I don't have time to list them all. All I can say is that I will never go back - it's taken me far to long to make the move as it is.

The final treat was to learn that it's very easy to upgrade the RAM. It's a user-serviceable operation that doesn't void the warranty. So my 4GB will soon be upgraded to 16GB as I like to run many apps simultaneously.

If you're like me and have been thinking about changing from a non-Mac PC to a Mac, then don't wait any longer. It's really easy to make the change, and once you've mastered the basics you'll love discovering all the keyboard shortcuts that make things work like lightning.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 2 April 2011
The computer is fantastic, difficult not to spend too much time with it!
Ideal as a media player as well as workstation for general use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed, 14 Aug. 2011

Negatives: It runs VERY hot when doing any sort of intensive work - more so than the previous imacs i've owned. Apple say its normal. It WILL scrape your discs unless you have the gentle fingers of a surgeon - I've had my DVD drive replaced twice and the problem persists (google 'imac disc scratched' for more info). I've also had to have my HD replaced.

Conclusion: A stunning looking machine that is very capable but for this price I expect better build quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of kit, 24 Aug. 2011
I been using this iMac since it was released and decided to leave a little review for it. It has given to date amazing service, the graphic handling capability in Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 (PC/Mac) is second to none - put it this way, I take hundreds of photographs, and working on them on the Mac is such a pleasure compared to crash-a-lot-Windows ;-) The Magic mouse has changed the way I work (for the better) and the small keyboard is nice to use - the wirefree desktop is a boon for anyone especially when the batteries last as long as they do with this product. If you take photographs, or do anything with graphics buy yourself a Mac, you'll not regret it.