Like a most people I have had a windows PC for many years, before windows 98.
I have fancied a Mac for a long time, I am tired of the windows system which is constantly updating, needing an ever better virus software package which also needs updating, the Dell I have which the Mac will replace, has been running slower by the day, it does have Intel dual core 6600 @2.40GHz running with 4 GB of Ram, so it was no light weight PC.

I was worried If I purchased a Mac I wouldn't be able to use it and it would be like starting all over again. I was very wrong.

First impressions are that there isn't a lot in the box, you get the screen etc, a wireless mouse, a wireless keyboard, power cable and a disc with the operating system.
I plugged it in and It installed very quickly, much quicker than any PC I have owned. The mouse and the keyboard are amazing, there is no wheel for scrolling with the mouse you brush your hand over it and the pages wiz up and down the screen.

I was worried that I would struggle to install my Laser printer, but plugged in the USB and BAM! it was installed ready to go.

Setting the Mac email is very simple, easy to follow instructions.

I have the Mac and Dell sat side by side and the difference is astounding, the Mac is pin sharp, the Dell is dull I can only describe it as now only okay.

The Mac comes with plenty of pre-installed software such as iPhoto and iMovie, It is worth noting that it does not come with any word processor software, I have purchased iWork '09 Retail which is very good and gives me all I need.

I sell on an auction site as part of our full time online business and have always used Turbo Lister, this is not available to Mac users( or windows 7 users), I was aware of this before buying the Mac, I have purchased a software program called Garage Sale which I have to say wipes the floor with Turbo Lister, cost around £[] but was well worth the money, again it is worth remembering If you are buying a Mac and use Turbo Lister.

I am very happy I made the move from windows to Mac, If your thinking of changing to Mac and worry that you won't be able to use the Operating system, don't be, I'm amazed at just how easy everything works and installs on it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Well I have waited a month before reviewing my iMac, let me tell you the story, I purchase an Iphone in July, a Ipad in October, these purchases started my Apple journey that as lead to the purchase of this Imac, so impressed was I with the quality, design and simplicity of the iPhone and Ipad, the Imac was the nest logical step, But as a 15 year user of Windows PC's you can imagine the amount of data I had created on the windows operating system!!! this really did put me off buying the imac as the new imac would be at the heart of my network of two Windows PC's and a network storage drive, over the years I had replaced my old windows PC as they needed upgrading and the transfer of data between them was never easy, right thats the background now the review (at last I hear you say), First of all Amazon, I always buy important stuff from Amazon, and again they did not let me down it was delivered on schedule during the December snow, were others failed Amazon got through, on unpacking the iMac its quality and design is striking, so simple yet elegant just a screen and a power lead came out of the box, I soon plugged it in attached my network cable, the usb printer, and the usb iphone dock cable, the switched it on, as it went through its set up routine, I was asked for various info, name, Apple account,email details etc this took about 5 mins to complete, then off it went setting stuff up, what I didn't really know, but I was still concerned about setting up my network drive as that was were all my info was, in preparation for this I had downloaded loads of stuff to help me set the drive up manually, then wham it was all over, my desktop appeared with the row of docked items in line, I clicked on the finder to start to set up my Network Drive but to my great joy it was already there !!! along with my networked PC's, I soon was in to the drive transferring stuff across, Itunes imported my music from the drive very smoothly, iPhoto imported my pictures from the drive and sorted them out into events (slick), and then I heard the new mail sound and again the mac had set up my email account (Gmail) using IMAP and downloaded all my folders from Gmail and new Mail, (outstanding ) my involvement was truly minimal it used the info I gave it on set up and just went off and did the rest, now compare this with setting up a new windows PC !!! since then in the month thats passed I have been really impressed with the iMac it as awakened my interest in computing everything is so easy, I have installed Crossover Mac this is a program that creates a virtual windows environment to run windows stuff you cant get on a mac, in my case Quicken and Office 2007, its easy to set up and works well, but in the month I have installed Office 2011 for Mac, and IBank (Trial)
you don't need to switch the Imac off just put it to sleep as the power drain is minimal, but if you do switch it of it takes 3 seconds to shut down, and 20 seconds to boot up (again Outstanding) so if like me you are hesitating about the switch from Windows be assured it is really easy, just prepare you data on an external media and let iMac import it, don't hesitate just buy this wonderful Computer you will never regret it,
on 15 November 2010
Well what can I say for someone that has admired macs for a number of years I finally took the plunge and bought myself an Apple iMac and so far all I can say is money well spent. First off the design of the computer itself is absolutely fantastic , you can tell that Apple have put a lot of hard work and time into it like they always do with their products. When you first switch it on you will see the Apple logo then your asked a few simple setup questions then your ready to go and of course a mac doesn't come with loads of annoying trial software like pc's do so you don't spend around 30 minutes or more removing all the software you don't need. Also Mac OS X is a fantastic operating system that is very user friendly and isn't a processor hog like other operating systems that I could mention. So in my opinion if your thinking about getting a mac go for it you won't be disappointed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 December 2010
At the time of writing this (December 2010) the Amazon price looks like a real bargain. I went to the local Mac store and paid £100 more.

I considered buying a pc or laptop but having seen the iMac there was simply no other choice.

One big problem though: you - and everyone else - will want to use it all the time. What with iPlayer, YouTube on full screen it's better than our new Sony TV.

This iMac has exceeded my expectations in every area and every day we're discovering new and amazing things that it can do. Hmm. Pretty near to being the perfect product.
on 21 January 2011
Like most people here I became increasingly frustrated as my Windows lap top deteriorated to such a frustratingly slow speed I decided to jump the Microsoft ship and go with Apple.
I have now owned my 21.5 Imac for about 3 months - having had literally no experience of Macs prior to opening the box I have the following comments, which I hope may be useful to you if you are considering purchasing a Mac....

First the good..

1. Looks. It really does look very, very good. Even before you switch it on. I still glance at it as if it was a Porsche on my driveway!
2. Screen. The detail, contrast and colours that the screen is able to produce is remarkable, a huge leap in quality from my last PC. Photos really look stunning on this screen and the web now appears to be a beautifully colourful place.
3. Speed. My last laptop took about an hour to run a Virus scan. I ran one last night on my Mac and it took 2 minutes. Importing songs to Itunes takes half the time. It Updates my Ipod in a flash.
4. Speed. My Mac goes from off (not standby) to on and surfing the web in under 20 seconds. With my old laptop I had time to make a cup of tea!
5. Snow Leopard. This is the operating system that the Mac uses and is the equivalent of Windows on PC's. I have found it on the whole very intuitive. I would recommend going to one of the free lessons at an Apple Store near to you - they last an hour and cover all the basics. There have been a few settings that I have wanted to change. Adding right click to my mouse, full screen browsing etc and all of this was covered. You will probably be slightly baffled if you have never used a Mac before as it is very different to Windows but you do pick it up quickly and even after such a short time I now prefer this operating system to windows (that i have been using for 10 years or more)
6. No antivirus. There are some free ones that you can download for free to be extra safe but after much research the general concencus is that Macs do not need any Antivirus.

The bad.

1. I am still unsure of why my Mac has a DVD drive and not Blu Ray.
2. Thanks to my small children the screen smudges very easily and is difficult to clean.

Personally I think the Mac is fantastic, I will never buy a windows based operating system again - If i am honest the only real disappointment is that it took me so long to convert to Apple.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 September 2010
This is my first Apple computer it is brilliant I can not find a fault with it in one word it Works
I have many PC computers all of them crash, freeze,or run really slow this thing came in a box and within 5 mins i was up and running it did it all by its self never had a computer do that before.
I have now had it for 5 weeks it has never crashed or frozen in that time.
If I could could give one bit of advice Go Out And Buy One

The service from Amazon was as always first class I ordered it on a Sunday night at about 8pm it was set up and on the net by 1100am on the Tuesday cant get better than that.
on 11 November 2010
I have waited far too long to upgrade my ailing iBook G4 laptop! I have been watching in frustration as everything shifted from PowerPC to Intel and the shift from 32bit to 64bit was really the last nail in the coffin.

So far so good with the iMac, a beautiful (and huge compared to my 12" iBook!) display, whisper quiet and everything is super fast. I realise in comparison most things would seem fast compared to my old laptop but the iMac has exceeded all of my expectations so far.

It was easy to set up and once I have an adapter to use my firewire 400 drive with the firewire 800 port on the iMac i'll have all my other doodads transfered over using the migration assistant.

I'm glad I went with the cheapest model as I don't think I'd notice the upgrades on the next model up and the 27" ones would just be TOO big! I realise I could have got more performance for less money in with a PC but I'm glad I've stuck with Apple and hope this one will last me for as long as my iBook has (6 years and counting).
on 25 September 2010
I finally went into the Mac world, i originally intended to get a Macbook, but after looking at the specs, i saw the iMac was much more value for money, you get bigger hard drive/screen etc for your money, which is fairly important when your buying something so expensive, so i would say, if you don't really need the ease of transport etc, you get with a laptop/macbook, go for the iMac.

Onto performance, i was expecting it to be fast, after having a fairly decent PC (from 4/5 years ago though), that had become very slow as the hard drive was full, the new games where a bit too much for it etc, but when i turned it on (for the second time, because first time you get a start up, which is very simple), it was on in seconds, and it turns off just as quickly. That impressed me, but everything else is so fast, you can be on your desired internet page/word document/game within 20 seconds of pressing the power button (possibly a bit quicker). It can run multiple programs as once, i nearly always have safari open, but will then do other things, like talk to friends on steam, play about on garage band, read various documents, so i can have 3/4/5 applications up, and everything still runs smoothly. Gaming is also very impressive, the monitor is very nice (although, it does seem to need a fairly regular wipe clean...), and games (I haven't played any really high end graphics games, like Cyrsis, but still) run perfectly as well.

The software the mac comes with is great, i love playing around on garage band, safari is a really cool web browser (although you may want Firefox as well, as Safari doesn't like some sites very much.), there is a chat (IM/webcam) program, there is calendars, calculators etc, all the standard stuff you would expect, you could get by, with no extra software, but i got Final Cut Express and Microsoft office, which work really well.

Basically, the problem i have, is the price, if this where £2/300, a lot more people would have one, i would have bought one a few year ago, rather than a month or so ago, everything else, from performance, to software, to ease of use is brilliant, so if its in budget, go for this, its amazing.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 November 2010
I have been a pc user for years and despite owning every other apple gadget under the sun (ipad, 4 variants of ipod and 2 iphones) I had never really given much through to an imac. Having become more interested in photography it became apparent that this really was the way to go.

It looks so beautiful in my study, no wires trailing everywhere, no large box under the desk to bash my knees on. I agree with other reviewers who have said that they wish they had made the move to mac earlier!

One last thought though, I had been planning on going for the 27" having seen it in a big airy Apple store. Glad I didnt though as even the 21.5" looks massive in my study!
on 14 December 2010
Bought this model from Apple on their recent fall-over Friday event (or whatever they call it) when it was briefly cheaper than Amazon as a result.

This is my first foray into Mac's generally although I already own an ipod, previously I have owned Dell desktop and laptop PC's. I know Apple tend to polarise opinion and a lot of people drop into either the strongly pro or anti camp but I like to think that I was approaching the purchase (and this review) objectively.

The main concern is immediately obvious, even before getting the thing in your hands - the price. I have to confess that I was concerned that because Apple appear to ring-fence their products that they artificially inflate the price as a result. I'm not interested in paying a premium on any supposed kudos that attaches to owning a product from a particular manufacturer and I don't consider myself a brand slave. I managed to overcome this issue by rationalising the price vs longevity of the equipment - PC's tend to date so very quickly and before you know it you struggle with a couple of windows open (my Dell PC to be replaced was 5 years old and struggled, despite upgrades to RAM and the video card) and I understand that the Mac tends to manage on for longer before succumbing to eventual obsolescence. Of course, all this is based on research (and thus trust) rather than actual in-my-hands evidence so it may be that I was rationalising my desire to have a Mac and would have found a way around any problem - one for the existentialists I think!

To the product itself. Its surprisingly heavy but the weight isn't evenly distributed so you need to keep a firm grip. It may be advisable that removing the polythene protecting the screen is the last thing that you do, to avoid smearing the screen with greasy fingers. I like very much that there is potentially only a single cable connecting your computer to the power and that there is no seperate tower hiding under the desk, all the gubbins is in the screen that is on the desk.

Of course, in real life you will have peripherals connected via USB at some point and that is actually a little awkward because all the connections are on the back of the monitor. You have the choice of trying to connect blind (and hoping that you can guide the USB socket home by feel alone) or by sighing heavily and moving the monitor around so you can see and formulate a plan of attack to get the USB properly home. In a similar fashion I also find it awkward to insert CD's as these are slot loaded vertically in the side of the screen and the slot itself is generally not visible when you are sat looking at the Mac. I expect that within a matter of weeks it'll become routine to insert CD's without a second thought but I suspect that the USB connections will always be fiddly.

The supplied keyboard and the mighty mouse connected immediately on booting up the Mac and there was a painless one-time only 2 minute connection wizard. I like both keyboard and mouse although I suspect if you were a real old-school 'button basher' then the keyboard supplied wouldn't appreciate it! The keyboard seems fine for routine typing however and is responsive although I do miss the numerical keypad on the right (which I use for working in spreadsheets like Excel) and I find the mis-placing of the '@' symbol irritating - I believe it might be in the American keyboard position rather than the standard British position? It disturbs my flow when I have to stop and hunt for a symbol that isn't where I expect it to be although, as with CD's, I expect it'll become routine soon enough.

The supplied software seems easy to use. I can't see me using Garage Band that much but that's a personal thing rather than any criticism of the software. My machine shipped with the 2011 software as well so was bang up to date. Safari seems OK but I downloaded Firefox for my web-browser, again this being more of a personal thing rather than any criticism of the software. It has taken some time for me to get used to the fact that the programme toolbar for every open window is at the top of the screen rather than attached to the open programme and that the red 'x' on a window does not, in fact, necessarily shut down the programme completely which otherwise has to be done via the programme toolbar. On my first use I ended up with half a dozen programmes still running when I thought they were shut down! If you look at the dock closely on the main screen there are little 'idiot lights' beneath each programme to show which one is still running in the background which is a useful reminder. I think anyone who is Windows savvy will soon get a grip on the differences, I am writing this whilst still stuck in the half-way house between the two.

I think the colour contrast on the Mac is very good, both on playing pre-recorded DVD's and also streaming from the internet as well as the more mundane stuff like working in Word or Excel. The screen size (21.5") is conducive to having a DVD playing in one corner whilst working on a letter or a spreadsheet at the same time, or surfing the net - what ever takes your fancy really. The Mac seems to manage multiple windows with relative ease but being a new machine I would expect (demand) that, regardless of it being Dell or Apple.

So - why should you buy one? That's a tough question really and it probably comes down to personal choice. I suspect that only time and personal experience can properly answer the question, assuming that you don't already fall into the hugely pro or hugely anti Apple camp. Its a lot of money for a computer and you want a lot back in return. The jury is out for me because my ownership can be measured in weeks but first impressions are positive.