2,396 Reviews
 (1,232)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great MP3, great features, great price, tiny size
After a long time looking at reviews I decided to go for the Sansa clip+ 8 GB and have not been disappointed. I wanted a player for music (MP3 and WMA) and podcasts, and this does all that I need it to do.

Published on 27 Dec 2009 by J. Connor

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but much too quiet
Published on 15 July 2010 by C. Young

5.0 out of 5 stars Great MP3, great features, great price, tiny size, 27 Dec 2009
J. Connor "Connorbean" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews

Playing - As other have said, it is very small, but mine has 8 GB of internal and I also got an 8 GB micro SD card. The player allows you to play stuff from either internal or external memory or will show it all together in 1 seamless list - which is quite good. I have nearly filed the MP3 and all the play options seem to work really well. You can play all, by artist, podcast, album, genre and recently added - so even though there can be quite a lot of stuff you can usually easily find that new album or podcast quickly. This player will allow you to turn off through a podcast and return to the same point - which is useful for long recordings.

Sound - I got a pair of Phillips earphones and the sound is pretty good. There is an EQ and the volume is loud enough for me

Usability - I find this quite good and can usually get to where I want to go quickly. The instructions are minimal but you can get a full set on line. But you should be able to work without them. I think this is very easy to use. The screen is simple but tells you all you need. If you have a play around there are interesting features, like if you press the centre button the screen changes to EQ. Press again it tell you the next song. Also, while playing a song, if you press down you can get access to load of features, such as the music list, sound features or track information

Power - this seems good so far. I have used for many hours and not had any problems

The MP3 has an FM radio which works ok. You can record what you are listening to.

All in all I think this is a very good MP3 and a fantastic price.

UPDATE: 1 year later it is still going strong. I refresh the music and podcasts at least weekly and use it for at least 20 hours a week. Battery life is about 15 hours. If anything went wrong I would consider replacing with the same model (because of the specification, the price and the size of the device).

5.0 out of 5 stars how to increase volume, 21 July 2010
This review is from: Sandisk 2gb Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player black (Electronics)
this product is great. the issue about low volume is easy to solve. when you first get the item it asks you to choose where you are from. i.e. europe, north usa, usa etc.
at this point choose north usa. do not choose europe. if you choose europe it restricts the volume that can be played back. this is due to stupid EU regulations on potential damage to your ears. choosing north usa gets around this and you will find that the volume nearly doubles. if you have already set up, no worries go back to "reset settings" and start again. you too can have pain in your ears again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little player! Well worth the money!, 27 Feb 2010
Well, I've just started going to the gym, and I didn't want to take my huge iPod video with me and have to carry it around in my track bottom pocket or in my shorts. So i figured I would go and get an iPod shuffle. Well first of all the new iPod shuffle has bad reviews left right and centre, plus you cant change the headphones, so then I thought I'd get one of the older ones. Well they are simply too small and I cant get enough of a range of music on the damn thing.

I hunted round on Amazon and found this little player, had some good and bad reviews. Well, for the money I figured I'd give it a try as the good reviews said it had good sound quality and it is also expandable in memory size. Well the 8GB version has enough space to put a small selection of my library on specifically for the gym, but also enough for variety (OK you have to bear in mind that my MP3 collection is in excess of 280GB!!). Anyway, if you dont get stupid and try and put the worlds smallest format/quality files in wierd formats so you can squeeze as much music on this thing as possible then you've got yourself a great player. I prefer quality of sound to quantity of music. The quantity lives on my PC, not on my portable!! I use 192kbps usually for ripping CD's, and purchased downloads at 320kbps. I never convert down, I like quality as I said!!

Right enough waffle, heres the important stuff...
Space........... - 8GB much more space than a shuffle, and expandable via a microSD card.
Sound quality... - Very good indeed. There are EQ adjustments, enough to suit me, and make the quality of sound great.
Head/ear phones. - Not so great, I replaced the standard ones with Genius HP-02 Live Headphones. Available on Amazon!
Screen.......... - Excellent for it's size, easily readable, unless you have bad eyes, nice clear text and backlit.
Controls........ - Couldn't be easier. Very straight forward to use.
Size............ - Well... it's about the size of a small matchbox, and thats just brilliant!
Clip............ - It has a handy clip (hense the name) which works well, and doesn't seem flimsy.
Usage........... - Quite easy, but I cant write files directly to the Removable disc in Windows.. Works well with Media Player though.

Features:-
Standard music player selections, i.e. Artist, Albums, Genre etc
Built in FM radio, great reception and easy to use. (No RDS though! So you need to know your channels)
Shuffle feature, works well.
Great little graphic display when music is playing (bars style graphic)
Simple to use control pad.
Downloadable manual (from SanDisk site)
Easy to transfer music via Media Player, couldn't get Windows XP to write to the removable disc though using the "drive". Not sure why!

For the price of this player I would say you could do worse by buying an iPod shuffle, old or new. This player to me seems far better quality and value for money than an iPod shuffle. Don't get me wrong it would never replace my "proper" iPod, but for the type of thing I need it for, i.e. the gym, it is absolutely perfect. I've used it while running, on the cross trainer and while doing weights and not had any grief with it.

I would say if you are planning on getting an iPod, take a look at this first. For me I was sold, even after reading the bad reviews!

There are some drawbacks. Once the rechargeable battery stops holding a charge theres not much you can do other than use it as an external USB disc, but for the money if the thing lasts 3 years it has been well worth it. And also as I understand it, SanDisk support isn't the best in the world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but much too quiet, 15 July 2010
This review is from: Sandisk 2gb Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player black (Electronics)
A good, easy-to-use MP3 player that works straight from the box. Quick drag-and-drop file upload, no need for additional software, quite cheap. BUT after using it for a couple of months I find two significant problems. Firstly it is too quiet. Even at max volume you can't hear the output in a moderately noisy environment like a city street or an underground train - exactly the places you need your MP3 player the most. I replaced the supplied earphones with in-ear buds (costing half the price of the player itself) and it is now *just about* acceptable. Didn't have this problem with the Zen Stone I had previously. Secondly the battery indicator is wildly inaccurate. When it gets to about halfway the player simply stops without warning. Hugely irritating.

UPDATE: another user advises to reset to factory settings/language/english/North America - this seems to increase the volume quite a lot!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Bang For Buck Mp3 Player on The Planet. Period., 9 April 2010
Mr. T. White (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have owned 6 different Mp3 players in my time, from the first generation Diamond Rio (yes, there really were Mp3 players and people who knew about Mp3 long before the Ipod appeared) to this. And here is why this one beats the rest:

Price: although the Gogear is similarly priced and has almost as good sound quality, this player gives everything you could possibly want in an Mp3 player without having to lay down three digits.

Sound Quality: I use acclaimed Grado SR60i cans with this and the sound quality is overall V good and nearly excellent: it's sound-stage could be a bit wider and its bass lacks a little punch robustness and rotundity. Mids, however, are sufficiently rich with a hint of warmth, and trebles are nicely detailed. But then I think about the price and all is completely forgiven :-)

Battery Life: Around 10 hours is what I'm seeing and that's a little shy of expected hours, but currently more than good enough for me. Albeit shame on them that the battery is irreplaceable! I really would like to have docked a point on that alone but I hope that manufacturers will become more eco conscious as time goes on.

Features: First thing of note is its expandability: you can easily increase its file capacity simply by adding a Microsd card. That in itself is excellent and a real bonus in a a player of its size. As for playback, this player has a shuffle function which actually works (Hello Philips Gogear!!) as well as the ability to play songs by genre, artist, recently added, highly rated & album; you may rate songs (note that some of these features are missing completely on its nearest competitor - the Gogear). Also there is no DRM BS, in that you can simply drag and drop files from your pc to the Clip+'s music folder and it's as simple as that. That's the way things should be - none of that Wimdows 11 BS is necessary, only optional => nice. The Voice recorder is more sensitive than some dicta-phones I've seen in my time, given its ability to record conversations from 5 metres away at normal voice levels which beats its nearest competitor (Gogear) hands down. It even has Replay gain, which helps to normalise volume levels but alas only *if* such was used when an MP3 was ripped. Of course not many think of same when ripping so it's be nice if in a future player Sandisk thinks of including volume normalization as people may have to keep changing the volume often. But this is a minor issue with regard to all current MP3 players AFAIK. The FM radio won't win any awards and is one of the only areas in which I'd recommend the Philips over this. But this is primarily an MP3 player, so that shouldn't worry anyone too much. Same goes for the absence of video. There is no album art feature which you shouldn't miss either, given its screen size. Flac and Ogg support are nice extras, although if you can tell the difference between Mp3s at V0 and Flac, you're hearing is better than mine. Albeit, last time someone bet that he could tell the difference between highest bit mp3s and Flac, with me, guess who came out the richer ;-) There are frequent firmware updates, so the player is well supported. I've heard though that their CS could be better. But if all works well throughout its lifetime, then whether the CS are your bestest friends or not, arguably matters little.

Size: one of the smallest in the world yet still manages a big sound.

UPDATE FEB 2013 - mine is *still working excellently. However after reading a few probs people have had, in other reviews, with volume levels - please do check that (1) your settings are set to international English (found in the options/setup menu) and (2) you will also need to use headphones rated at *under* 80 ohms. Not so many people realise that using headphones rated at 80 ohms or over, even with said international settings in place, will *still* seem too quiet. Another tip is that if you have an old Garmin Nuvi mains powered usb sat nav charger around - you may find that it can charge your clip+ in a nice and quick time of under two hours - and as you listen to it! I've done this hundreds of times, in the past three years, and have had no problems doing this, so I thought it might be helpful to let people here know that you do not need to purchase any after-market charger to charge this clip+ *provided* you also own, and still have available, a working Garmin charger - which again I must stress works & fits perfectly to charge mine. HTH someone!

In conclusion: I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this player at its current price. Unless it's audiophile SQ which you're after (then I'd direct you straight to the Fiio X3) - the higher (and... FWIW lower) priced players have nothing really over this, so its an easy full marks. Lastly, I hope you liked my review and I always check my reviews after a few weeks have passed so I'll be happy to answer any comments or questions persons may have on anything to do with owning this player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Fantastic.., 20 Nov 2009
M. J. Lowis "matlowis" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This little mp3 player is by far the best i've owned. It is the size of a matchbox (a small one.. not those massive matches for lighting cookers). It has the most simple menu and readable display which in itself is impressive in a player this small.... however the most amazing thing is that through the insertion of a micro sd card this becomes a 32Gb player in the size of a matchbox...seriously. Surely this is wrong? 32Gb is bigger than that isn't it?...apparently not. In addition, like the old sansa clip it sounds absolutely superb (slightly better,slightly less harsh.. really picking holes in the old one, there which i own, i feel guilty).. as always an earphone upgrade is a good idea but the ones provided with this player are no worse than those given with ipods and sonys. I use seinheisers which are great. I'm serious, buy one and, if you have no need for video, this is better than anything out there regardless of the price.. which is also daft. I think Sandisk are mad..Wonderful thing this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible - bugs, battery is a joke, and finally just completely died, 10 Jun 2013
first of all i have never given a one star review before, but i felt obliged to share my experiences so ppl dont make the same mistake as me!

i got that player about 3 months ago.

I usually dont go for the cheapest but judging on positive reviews here i made the mistake to get that complete piece of garbage that is the SanDisk Sansa Clip. It is plain bad.... First it doesnt read some of the folders i put on it. they are just not there. the name of many of the folders appears to be with &% for no apparent reason (its not because of the spaces or different alphabet). the battery indicator is wrong. it shows 50% and then the player dies...

I would have been ok with the above but worse of all if u lock it while it plays (the buttons are very sensitive) it blocks after 10 sec and then restarts. it does that a couple of times and then the battery (which was fully charged before) shows almost empty and the played switches off. this happened many many times over the last couple of weeks. finally yesterday it did that and just never came back to life. I plugged it with 2 different cables on 2 different pcs and its just black screen. As if there is no battery. now i will have to struggle with the warranty.

I will just try to get my money back or otherwise i will throw it and learn the lesson of never going for the cheapest.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little MP3, 31 Dec 2009
avidgamer (London, England) - See all my reviews
I have one, my Wife has one and now my Daughter has one. They are great. What we like about them is that they can clip anywhere. Even during summer, when I dont wear a jacket and my shirts dont have a pocket, i still find somewhere to clip it. The sound all depends on what ear piece you use, but the sound level is certainly loud enough. The menu is very intuitive. The radio is great. Unlike portable DAB radios, if the frequency isnt too strong you are not left with out sound. I had trouble with obtaining radio frequencies when I first got it, but after i downloaded the up dated software I havent had a problem. Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little player with big functionality, 25 Feb 2010
I bought the 8gb clip+ a couple of weeks ago and what i did just last night made me type a review.
I wear work boots when back stage and when testing an amp, accidentally walked on the player, fair enough, it was on some carpet but i was impressed that i didn't hear a crack or crunch when i did it, I weigh 85kg so was happy and relieved when I found that it worked perfectly.

The sound from this unit is great and many people have spoken positively about it's quality and output level, it is warranted.
I have been judging it with a pair of koss plug earphones that have served me well for some years now, the player can produce good quality sound at maximum level which is unbearable in most cases anyway, nice to know that it can do it though.

The only two things i don't like is that the controls can be a bit fiddly but that's the price you pay for miniaturization, and the battery could be a little better, i get around 6-7 hours of continuous playback with user eq on 8gb micro sd card in and at just over half level.
The battery is a thing i would gladly sacrifice the size of the unit for but only by a few mm, this is however not a good enough reason not to buy it.

Aside from that, the folder playback is very welcomed. The fact that it's small enough to have in your pocket and not know it's there is nice and yesterday i realised just how well built it is too.
I would recommend the tuff luv silicone case, it looks nice in matt black and doesn't affect the
function of the player.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Oct 2012
Having done some research and read a number of reviews I bought two of these players for my two daughters.
Both arrived promptly and were easy to set up so I was very pleased with my purchase as were my daughters.
However, satisfaction turned to disappointment very quickly as I learnt that, in both cases, the earphone socket did not house the earphone plug correctly resulting in a loss of one or both channels.
On both players it was impossible to push home the earphone plug and I had to keep my fingers on the plug to hold it in place in order to get the required output. I tried a number of other sets of earphones as well as the pair provided but it made no difference.
I had read a review warning of this defect but thought that, as with all mass-produced products, there will be occasions things go wrong and, as other reviewers were very positive, I went ahead and purchased two units.
As both players were defective in the same way, this must either be a design defect or a very common manufacturing fault and so will not be asking for replacements but rather a refund.
My daughters are naturally disappointed as am I. I will also have to return the charger I purchased separately as I now have no use for it. I am surpised at this lack of quality in a SanDisk branded product - it had all seemed so promising!
I would recommend avoiding this product.

Sandisk 2gb Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player black