5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Productive
I ordered this mouse as a replacement for my wired Apple Mighty Mouse.

Published on 26 Feb. 2011 by Michael Preston

2.0 out of 5 stars The way ahead...but a long way to go yet
I've been a Mac user since 1985 - I've been using the Magic Mouse since Christmas 2009 as a replacement to my 'old' Mighty Mouse. I don't want to give a detailed review as such as that has already been covered very well here. But I would like to point out a problem that has as good as stopped me using this mouse, returning to my old, non-bluetooth mighty mouse...
Published on 12 Feb. 2010 by Music Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Productive, 26 Feb. 2011
Michael Preston "Michael Preston" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
I ordered this mouse as a replacement for my wired Apple Mighty Mouse.

One of the big advantages of this mouse is that scrolling is via the touch sensitive surface - there are no moving parts, (like tiny scroll balls) to get caked up and stop working. Once you've set up the left and right buttons, these work really well and when you click the mouse the whole top surface tilts down a faction and makes a 'click' sound.

Using it feels very intuitive and natural and the design of the mouse as well as it's weight is pretty much perfect, at least for me.

One thing that does take some getting used to is the very fact that it is so touch sensitive and responsive. I'm a long time Mac user, (so not a newbie to any degree) but I did find it was very sensitive and it took me a few days to get used to it. Having said this, now, I'd never go back to an old style scroll wheel mouse, this feels so good you'll wonder why anyone actually used them.

The one thing I did do to improve the functionality of the mouse was to download BetterTouchTool which let's you modify the area that is touch sensitive and adds some more configuration options. This was especially useful to be able to create a non-sensitive area on the mouse's upper surface which makes it slightly more use friendly if you're someone who's hand tends to linger on the mouse. Having said this, it's still eminently useable without third party software.

Overall it's a delight to use and comes well recommended. It does need a light touch which can take some getting used to, but where I used to get occasional hand cramp, now I get none.

Get one, you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
I gave four stars because I expected a GBP 50 laser mouse to be perfect. It is not. In the following review, I will try to give a comprehensive (not long though) list of the ups and downs.

Ups:
Stylish design, excellent workmanship.
Good battery life: even after 3 days of moderate use, it indicates that the batteries (the original ones provided) are at 100% charge level. You can use regular AA alkaline or rechargeable batteries, but there are also some special Magic Mouse ones. UPDATE: Over the past 20 months I used up four a pairs of AA batteries.
Touch control is fast and accurate, the same being true for the laser. (You can even play Call of Duty multiplayer with this rodent.)
Extremely large control surface: you can use the whole area from the Apple logo (this is approximately 3 quarters of the curved surface).
Good third party application support (just google it). You can program about 30 different controls, touch and click as well.
Usable with all computers sporting a bluetooth adapter, however you cannot use swipe controls in Windows without additional third party software. Please note that I have no information on usability under Linux.
I did not experience any inexplicable cursor movements reported by other reviewers here.

Downs:
Tracking is really slow, even with maximum tracking speed I find the response subpar. I had to lift the mouse to navigate the cursor through the screen of my 13-inch MBP. Good news is, there is a solution: just download any free Magic Mouse control program and increase tracking speed beyond the OS X default scope. (Tracking speed is not an issue when the mouse is used with Windows.) UPDATE: Tracking speed is not an issue from OS X Lion and above.
It is indeed uncomfortable to use the mouse as a regular one e.g. click at the front edge. However, there is no such issue if you use the surface at around the middle. Thanks to its responsiveness there is no problem clicking or scrolling from the middle area: no more repetitive stress injury!

UPDATE: Ok, I see many people do not get how this mouse works, and therefore give negative reviews. Let us say, that you have a MBP, place all your fingers but your index finger on the track pad, then try to navigate with you index finger (this was just an example I tried myself, any other finger would work). Voila, it works, you can also tap to click. Same idea with the Magic Mouse, you REST your fingers on the surface and use the one needed. I usually rest 3 fingers on it: index finger (left click), middle finger (scroll), ring finger (right click). As long as you rest your fingers, you are OK, if you fidget while using a touch mouse, well, good luck finding one that will tell when you are fidgeting.

All in all it is a great product and I recommend it. But it deserves only 4 stars, because you have to adapt to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive mouse!, 31 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
I recently switched from Windows PC to Mac and as a fan of quality accessories I couldn’t go for anything else than Apple’s genuine.

Ordered my new mice for my new MacBook Air. I have some Logitech mouse collection already, some of them are quite pricey, like MX Anywhere and MX Performance, which are brilliant mouses, but they are not that nice in Mac world anymore, and design, simply doesn’t fit that slim aluminium body of Air.

Design and build.

What to add here, this is one of the best looking mouse you can get. I love well designed things and this mouse meets all my requirements for good looking item. It’s slim, made of genuine materials- nothing is painted! Aluminium and high quality plastic.

I rate 10/10 in terms of design & build.

Ergonomics.

It’s not the most comfortable thing on the world, but there is always a question of design or comfort, who needs what, for me, design wins no doubt. I feel my hand feels tired after some time, MX Performance is far more comfortable, with better button layout, but also it lacks touch experience, and probably my hand just have to adapt to new shape.

Anyway, I’m giving 8/10, I had some less comfy mouses before…

Tracking.

For any mouse, it’s the most important part, doesn’t matter how nicely designed it is, or how many buttons or how comfy, if the cursor lags, it is not the way to go. I’m sad to say, that Magic Mouse falls back in this point… Laser is far more inaccurate than on most of my Logitech mouses, and I don’t compare it to many thousands dpi gaming mouse, an everyday laptop mouse MX Anywhere does a way better, and it can do well on glass surface too… Same as MX performance… I have tested Microsoft Arc and it performed better too. I had to get mouse mat for this Magic Mouse, it ruins my desk, but at least I can work normally.

Also, this is probably not the mouse related problem but more Mac OS, an acceleration issue, I don’t know why Apple did that, but acceleration is simply terrible, it’s good when you want do some precise things, but on everyday experience, it’s just terrible, tried some things, there are quick tricks through terminal how to disable/minimise the acceleration issue, it is better now, but not as good as in Windows anyway.

5/10 here, I know Apple can do better, next generation should work on glass!

Functionality.

Despite it’s average pointer performance- tracking, other functions works well. Originally, this was the first touch mouse ever made, back in 2008, now there are some other competitors from Logitech for Windows and Mac. And maybe not only Logitech, this is historically, that I only consider Logitech as a quality input device manufacturer.

For first time, Magic Mouse felt slightly awkward, having only touch surface and no buttons on the top, but very quickly I get used to it and now I love those simple gestures, just tap for zoom in, or slide around the frame with just a finger touch. And scrolling is so simple and easy now, scroll roll was the first thing to fall down on most of my mices before, here this problems is eliminated in the blueprints already! I also see the coatings of this mouse to be very durable, clean plastic and aluminium, nothing painted, like on many other manufacture’s items.

8/10 this is one great mouse to work with, needs some practice, but it’s just matter of time. Also, would love to see full track pad copy on the mouse’s surface.

Connectivity.

This is a BlueTooth mouse, so it can work only with BT enabled device, there is no USB dongle in the box. On the Apple machine, connection goes very quickly and after few simple steps I could use my mouse. Nice! But, wait, I found an issue here- I like to turn off my mouse when not using it, save some battery, when turning off this mouse, and then turning it back on, Mac looses connection and you have to go through System Preferences again to connect it, stupid isn’t? Nothing similar with USB connected mouses. Good thing is that I can use this mouse with my Sony Playstation, can’t use my Logitech (probably there are some hacks, never tried).

7/10 for this, I’d be happier just to turn on and run, don’t like those menus, but on the other hand, having no USB dongle is a bonus too.

And finally- price.

You can buy a cheap crap (sorry- mouse) for £15, but in the high end market, all mouses are expensive. The closest rival from Logitech- T631, cost even more than this. Maybe it’s better in some ways- it has built in battery and you can charge it through Micro USB connection, and it’s slightly more portable too.

7/10 , to be honest, it’s a premium device for premium products, I don’t see the price would be out of competition. It looses 1 point of not having a travel pouch in the box, like there is one with Logitech MX Anywhere, for example. Ok, there is no pouch for Logitech T631 too, but here is review for Magi Mouse.

Conclusion.

As you see from my points, it gets above average in almost all, and I’m rating this mouse from it’s price point, obviously, comparing this mouse to something cheap, there would be 10/10 in all categories.

I’m very happy with this purchase and I do recommend this item to anyone new to Mac! This item impressed me in many ways, haven’t been so happy with new mouse for a very long time… Maybe last time I was so impressed with my new mouse was very long time ago with my first cable free mouse (that’s how they called first wireless mouses), back in begin of 2000’s. I probably missed something during those years, haven’t tried any touch mouse on Windows, but with Mac, I’m very impressed and this is something completely new for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars The way ahead...but a long way to go yet, 12 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)

I've found this mouse to be good for general use ie. surfing, scrolling through picture folders etc, but using it for what you might call 'proper' computer work like spreadsheets, Word, and even editing information in iTunes had driven me to distraction. The problem comes when you want to edit text, by highlighting, editing and clicking off, or to somewhere else on the page. Because the mouse is so sensitive to the touch of a finger you can easily find that your edited text (which may have just taken the last couple of minutes to prepare) disappears the moment you're fingers leave the keyboard and return to the mouse. The slightest touch of the finger clears all that previous work if you are not very, VERY careful.

I thought that this may just be a thing to get used to (it does after all need a little practice) but after a couple of months constant use (and constant frustration) this mouse has found itself in the drawer, which is a shame because other than that I really like it. I think the way this mouse works is certainly the way ahead, but Apple need to do a far better job of it than this!

I would also like to point out that the batteries supplied lasted from Christmas day, to the end of January (barely five weeks)

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick, 25 Aug. 2010
Nick Flynn "NickF" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
Magic Mouse arrived with my new 27 inch iMac, and I must admit that at first glance, I thought it was too small ... I soon changed my mind though, as I found transition from laptop using a trackpad, to the static scrolling facilities on the magic mouse to be very natural. In fact, if the mouse was any bigger, it would make the scrolling features uncomfortable to use. My Logitech wireless mouse now feels like a brick in my hand.

I would recommend that anyone buying the magic mouse to go into preferences to set up the mouse to their liking ... It takes 2 minutes and improves usability no end.

I have not had a problem with the bluetooth connectivity either, my Microsoft bluetooth keyboard and mouse seem to take a little while to connect. I haven't gone through any batteries in a month of usage, other reviewers have suggested 5 or 6 weeks ... that is pretty similar to the replacement rate on the Microsoft gear I have, and using rechargeable batteries is not a problem.

I guess I am lucky enough to have a magic trackpad as well. and as stated earlier, as a (mostly) laptop user I find the trackpad more to my liking ... with a bit more functionality to boot!

I will continue to use both, and would be happy to recommend either ... it really is a question of ... you pays your money and takes your choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth & intuitive, 9 Dec. 2009
C. Fackrell "freddietheone" (York, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
I ordered my Magic Mouse direct from Apple and it took quite a while to be delivered; over 1 week. However, it comes complete with 2x AA batteries, stored in a very slick plastic box where it is held in place with clear sticky tabs. Pairing was done in about 10 seconds after which searching for an Apple software update took about another 5 minutes.

I run the last of the G5 PPC iMacs, so I can only go as far as Leopard on the operating system. Some of the scrolling options are slightly limited compared with the Intel processor iMacs and Snow Leopard, in that the vertical scrolling has no 'weight' behind it, allowing the list or image to freewheel for a moment or two. I flick my finger and the image moves with my finger, just like a scroll wheel.

It is low and smooth and has seemingly caused some to comment that their hands become cramped, especially since they have to hold the mouse with thumb and finger to stop it scooting around the table top. To avoid this I placed my mouse on a mouse pad with a fabric weave top layer and all is well. I have had no hand cramp luckily but you do need to remember this is now a finger-tip controlled mouse, not a grab and shove. It is not somewhere to park your right hand (or left) with it tucked away moulded to your every hand crease and wrinkle. This needs a newer light touch and it works very well.

The top plastic layer is hinged internally at about where the Apple symbol is. Thus when you click the mouse the whole top surface moves a fraction of a millimetre with a positive 'click' sound and feel. In this respect it is like an 'ordinary' mouse. It feels quite weighty, which was a pleasant surprise, and all the better for it. Once the software has updated itself, the 'surface' can be enabled for scrolling and swiping. It is very intuitive, rather like the earlier mighty mouse with its miniature scroll-ball but this has the added feature of two finger swiping for backwards and forwards movements through pictures or web pages.

I enabled the 'secondary key' function, which is Windows speak for the right mouse button and then loaded a simply wonderful free add-on called On My Command (OMC), which lists a whole spread of scripts that, in effect, make the right-click feature the same as Windows. Copy and Paste are now simple mouse functions only; no more faffing about with Command-C and Command-V. With this and the new finger scroll movements I have found a simply beautiful elegant computer interface.

I recommend it. Get used to it, it's worth it, believe me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed though more recommended for occasional users, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
Apple Magic Mouse is all Apple products well-designed device though because of several small drawbacks would be more recommended as occasional, than mouse to be used on everyday basis.

Apple Magic Mouse comes together with new iMac desktop computers, though for seasoned users can be purchased separately.

Speaking first about the good things, it’s known that Apple products are unmatched on this field and this one is not any different than others – Magic Mouse is beautifully designed mouse (still keeping Apple classic style) which will attract attention wherever you use it.

Mouse is powered with two AA batteries without which its weight is around 330 g – adequate even for those younger or with smaller hands. The mouse is white and smooth without buttons on top side, while on back side the only thing that distracts the smoothness is battery cover, switch to shut off power and light that indicates mouse operation or battery protection mode in which mouse will enter if not used for some time.

The Magic Mouse will connect via Bluetooth, but unfortunately will only work Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later, while PC is not supported. It must be admitted that Magic Mouse is even better than plug n’ play because only thing you have to do is put it next to Mac and in few seconds automatically you’ll be able to use it.

Mouse features standard laser sensor which is good because it allows its usage on almost every surface except reflecting ones such as mirrors or glass. Also it would be equally usable for both left- and right-handed users.

The Magic Mouse greatest feature is its multi-touch ability which allows user to use whole surface of the mouse for swiping, for both two main buttons but also using single or two fingers for scrolling in every direction whether you use it while browsing, reading or looking pictures. On the other hand what is lacking is the ability to reassign the actions of finger swipes therefore you can’t make custom commands to start program or stop executing by swiping which automatically means the mouse cannot be included in the category of highly configurable devices, thus the audience to which it addresses is decreased.

Therefore, as a conclusion, if you are plan to use it only on Mac, not spend too much time in front of screen and the design is important to you, don’t look further. On the other hand if you are more demanding user, I would not recommend it because for money you can get better devices, supporting both major platforms, mostly from Logitech, who will not tire your hand so much due to better ergonomics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
It's just brilliant. Connects instantly & is great to use. Loads better that conventional mice.
May need to buy the docking station next though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than Trackpad, But...., 5 Dec. 2013
LaineyTiffers "Lainey" (Brighton, East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
Took awhile to get used to, but glad to have this mouse. Wish I'd got mouse at purchase of my iMac, but read too many positives for trackpad ~ hated it! Mouse works well, but battery life is diabolical! Batteries (Duracell), used to last 5-6 months.....I have already changed twice in approx 8 weeks & I was away for 10 days of that!

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with expose / desktop while dragging, 5 Mar. 2010
Mr. A. Comben (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple Magic Mouse (Accessory)
I have found this mouse good apart from three factors,

the most troubling issue to me working in web development and design is that I do a fair bit of dragging files around to different folders, with my old mouse I could start dragging an item and while holding the main button down also bring up expose or the desktop with another mouse button e.g. the middle button or squeeze button on the old mighty mouse, then I could easily switch between folders and program windows with just the mouse and drag my files about. With the new mouse it is very difficult to use other functions while the mouse button is pressed. I suppose you can use keyboard functions for this but I use the function keys as old style function keys as they are needed in many of my programs, so to use the keyboard to bring up expose I have to use the fn key and the expose button with my one free hand, which for me is just about impossible.

Another issue is that it eats up batteries in about four - five weeks, which is annoying.

Oh and it's annoyingly loud on my desk.

Other than that it's ok, and it looks sweet.

Make it quieter, put the squeeze back in and I'll start using it again.

Apple Magic Mouse