Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 November 2009
Though she seems to have been the victim of her own sucess, Norah has ploughed on her own sweet way with side ventures such as The Little Willies and Puss'N'Boots. Now she has radically changed the languid jazz tinged style that brought her the huge album sales of her first three Blue Note albums. The Fall is a revelation. Her trade mark piano playing is hardly heard and when it does make an appearance its actually a distraction. The songs are all about the disintergration of a love affair. A lot of the tracks are very raw and emotional."December" is heart rendering "Chasing Pirates" is quite striking and "You've Ruined Me" tells it as it is. The last track "Man Of The Hour" is a paen to her dog (the St. Bernard on the cover)but though playful still carries a sad undertone. She now appears to be writing from the strengh of her own experiences and the result is fabulous. It would be fantastic if The Fall was as popular with the music buying public as Come Away With Me but this is a long way from that albums "smooth jazz" feel. Great production and superb musicianship. A great album.
on 1 May 2010
This album is quite different to Norah's previous ones, so some fans of the soft jazz, voice and piano style may not approve. However if you're looking for good songs, good lyrics and excellent sound quality this is a must buy. Fans of Sheryl Crow might be enjoy this too. BTW all her albums are of a very high recording standard.
on 13 November 2009
I've listened to this album 3 times now and this will be a classic. Not a bum track on it. The melodies and the voice remain the same, sans piano and track 10 is outstanding. Even if you can't imagine Norah without her piano (OK, there's still some), give this a chance - the sound is fantastic. Buy this and you won't be disappointed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 April 2012
The Fall is playing as I am writing this - what a beautiful album - in my view, at least, her best since Come Away with Me , which is just one of favourite albums ever to relax with. Jones's voice is as hypnotic as ever, and the lyrics seem personal and haunting. There are some really great tracks here - Chasing Pirates, Light as a Feather, You've Ruined Me, Back to Manhattan, and the superb Young Blood are my personal favourites - but there isn't a filler track at all - and this is going to be on constant play in my car for quite some time - moving the CD from car to home and back at the moment. Its so good i just want to hear it over and over.

Superb
on 11 December 2011
Like many others I was first engaged and then distanced from Norah Jones by her first and second albums - country-ish but not up there with the grandes dames and yet not sufficiently left field to mix company with the likes of Lucinda Williams or Gillian Welch and yet that amazing voice .... so I stopped listening for a long while, almost developed an antipathy to "Come Away With Me" in fact. What got me involved again was the collaborations album which I picked up fairly cheaply on vinyl and just got drawn into - all the partnerships are great (maybe the Dolly Parton number is a little too backward-looking) but her take on "More than This" and "Loretta", her work with Belle and Sebastian, Charlie Hunter, Herbie Hancock et al just drew me in. So I went looking and found this. What a little classic ! Over the six or so weeks I have been listening to it it has become a current favourite and every time it goes on the system , I end up listening right through, something which doesn't happen with too many cd's these days. Whats so great ? Well there's the voice - matchless, husky, sensual, caressing by turns - often in the same line. Then there's the decision to junk the old music and pull together something which is really full of surprises - without wanting to leap in to the further realms of cliche, it rocks, it grooves, it almost "crawls on its belly like a reptile" in the manner of Little Egypt. If you like female singers across the range, from Ella to Emmylou and if you want some arrangements which elide simple genres without losing a sense of the rich traditions of the american popular song down the years, then trust me - this is an album you really must own. Check it out on Spotify but buy the CD - the sonic qualities cannot be savoured at 120kbps. A classic "sleeper" if ever I heard one.
on 31 March 2014
I've always loved Norah Jones' sense of style and her voice has so many ranges. I'm listening to 'I wouldn't need you' at the moment, there's something quite Stevie Nicks about her on some of the tracks, that slightly husky, sexy style of singing that comes from within.

There are a mix of slow and faster tracks, something for everyone in fact. I find her music incredibly relaxing but it doesn't make me want to fall asleep, it makes me want to keep listening. Her style is one I don't ever get bored of but keep coming back to time and time again.

If you can dance there are some tracks to move to and if you can really dance, there's Jive and even a Waltz if you pinch the timing.

Opening with an upbeat track, 'Chasing Pirates', Norah's floaty, dreamy style shines through with lyrics that take you on her musical journey and is a really good opening song. 'December' is one of my favourites, the sound of Norah's voice just sends me into a really nice and happy place.

I'm really please with this album and highly recommend it to you. At the price I purchased it, £4.99 you can't go wrong.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 November 2009
Norah apparently chose Tom Waits and Kings of Leon producer Jacquire King to produce this record because she is such a fan of Tom's `Mule Variations' CD. Unfortunately `The Fall' doesn't sound like `Mule Variations', rather it retains the smoothness of Norah's previous record `Not too late' - without any of the rawness or quirkiness of Mr. Waits. Although much has been made of her break with her former partner and bass player Lee Alexander and the Handsome Band in truth the overall sound here isn't that different from her previous records, perhaps a little less jazzy with less piano. Mark Ribot on guitar is very restrained, with none of the edge and weirdness I usually associate with him.

We do get off to a great start with "Chasing Pirates" (with its nice electric piano) closely followed by "Light as a feather" (co-written by Ryan Adams), which sounds like an out-take from `Feels like home' and then the provocative "I wouldn't need you. However, as the record progresses some of the songs' openings like "Waiting", "It's gonna be" and "Stuck" suggest something different, something earthier but as soon as Norah's voice comes in she seems to calm everything down and smooth everything out.

I think that Norah does need a change of sound but for me this record isn't it and I certainly don't see this as the radical change that others have commented on. This is a very professional, mature record but for me just a little too restrained and too bland. Her various side projects have shown that Norah can do very different material and therefore I'm afraid that I feel this is a missed opportunity to achieve a radically different sound.
on 13 March 2010
This album is wonderful. Norah managed to give a new breath to her work and has done it beautifully.
Highly recommended.
on 31 December 2009
Bought as a present for my brother. He has listened to this CD over and over and has commented as this being another excellent CD by Norah Jones. The seller provided me with an efficient service and quick delivery. Based on my experience I would recommend purchasing from this seller.
on 22 January 2010
It's not what you would expect if you have her previous albums but the style is perfect! I love it and can listen to it over and over again. I would definitely recommend and intend buying it for my mom too!