5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a big difference to noise reducing earphones
Published on 16 Feb 2010 by Loved-IT

Published 2 months ago by Mr. R. J. Matthews

3.0 out of 5 stars Great to start with but quickly degrade - Here's an alternative..., 7 Aug 2014
Mr. R. J. Matthews (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Comply T-400 Isolation Earphone Tips Medium Black 3 Pairs (Electronics)
Like most of the reviews here, I was over the moon with these tips when i first got them. I placed the first pair onto my HiFiMan RE-0 earphones and within minutes was enjoying much improved detail, low end bass, focus and clarity in everything I listened to. Given how comfortable they were to wear too, they were an absolute joy and made an already good pair of headphones into an astoundingly good pair. I'm not a heavy headphone user. I get monthly trips with my work which involve train travel and so they get a few hours use every few weeks, but even then, the first pair of these gave me less than 3 weeks worth of use. Hoping it was a one off, I fitted the second pair and treated them with kid gloves - never stretching them, twisting them or placing excessive force on them, but once again, the second pair lasted about the same amount of time. At that point I knew that by the time I'd fitted the third and final pair, it was time to start looking for alternatives. The problem with them is that they lose their shape and go soft, so no longer form a good bond with the ear canal, so the bass disappears and they end up sounding tinny and hollow.
Here's a tip though. You can get VERY close to these by getting yourself a box of the foam earplugs from Boots the Chemist - They come in a light blue box and contain 3 pairs costing around £3. You need a retractable ballpoint pen and a sharp knife (I actually did this without the knife, sat on a train, that's how easy it is to do). Place your pen in the middle of one of the earplugs and push through all the way until the pen tip comes out the other side. Now turn it around and just push the pen through the other way so the hole is about the same size at both ends. Once you've done that, cut the earplug in half using the knife (I just tore it in half with my fingers) and now stretch the hole in each plug over the earpieces of your earphones and you're done. Now you just compress the plugs slightly before inserting into the ears.
This idea may not last any longer than the Comply tips (I've only just started doing this so cannot comment on how long they last yet) but cost much less and are far easier to obtain when you're travelling.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, but fall apart quickly, 21 Aug 2012
I've found these buds do make the headphones sound better, however - they completely fall apart very quickly. I bought a 3 pack at the start of June, and 2 pairs have already disintegrated! I am on the third pair now, and I can already feel them perishing.

And as they are coming apart - you get wee bits of black foam in your ears, which isn't nice at all. They are not cheap enough to warrant replacing every 3 months.

Very disappointed - I will be going back to rubber tips once this last pair die. A shame, too, as and they do sound good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a big difference to noise reducing earphones, 16 Feb 2010
Loved-IT (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I use NC-22 Sony Noise Cancelling earphones with my Ipod Nano, but I have never been able to get a perfect in-ear fit with any of the supplied rubber ear buds. As a consequence the noise cancelling/reduction is good, but not perfect. These little foam tips make an ENORMOUS difference. It's just like having ear plugs in. They are very comfortable and extremely good at shutting out background noise - in fact so much so that I have taken to sometimes switching off the active noise cancelling on the NC22 because it's not needed. Despite the outrageous price, these tips are worth every penny in my opinion.

PS. there is conflicting information on the internet for which earphones these foam tips fit. Very annoying! There is a list on the back of the packet which I have reproduced here for the T-400 series:
altec lansing backbeat classic, plus, pro;
audio-technica ATH-ANC3, -CK1, -CK7, -CK32, -CK52, -CKM50; Auvio 33-266, - 267, -268, -271, -286, -289;
Creative -EP630 and -EP830;
Philips SHE 8500, 9500, 9501, 9600, 9700, 9800, SHS 8000
Plantronics Voyager 855;
Radius Atomic Bass;
Sennheiser CX-95, CX-300, CX-400, CX-500, IE-6, IE-7, IE-8, MM-50;
Skullcandy Titan, Full Metal Jacket, INK'D, Smokin' Buds, Riot, Holua, Asym, Striker;
Sony MDR-AS40EX, -EX32, -EX51LP, -EX55LP, -EX71SLA, -EX75, -EX81LP, -EX85LP, -EX90LP, -NC11, -NC22;
TDK EB900;
Ultimate Ears Metro Fi: 100, 150, 170, 200, 220, SuperFi 4/4vi, SuperFi 5/5vi;
V-Moda Vibe, Vibe II, Vibe-Duo, bass-freq, sport series;
2XL Bunny, nuevo sonido, snake eyes, wrecking ball.

I can't vouch for how accurate this list is, but this is copied straight off the back of the pack. More details are on the comply website.

By the way, I ordered from Handheld Audio and they came within two days. Very good service.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rip off price - Don't last - Disintegrate with Sweat - But the sound is better..., 8 Aug 2014
Stuart Brown (Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I received these on the 13th June 2014. There are three pairs in the pack.

Use wise I would say on average, maybe an hour a day (honestly it's probably less than that). But it would usually include about 25 minutes a day at the gym, five times a week, where I would get sweaty.

Three observations:

1/ The first pair expired on the 6th August 2014. So, less than two months in, and probably after less than 40 hours cumulative use.

2/ These things don't like sweat. For the last 2 weeks or so of that, they were noticeably worse at keeping their shape, and didn't stay in the ears as well. They also rip very easily, even when you are quite careful about removing them

So really only about 30 hours of use at peak performance per pair.

3/ The sound is much better with them however, so although they are a rip-off, I will probably end up getting another pack in four months or so, when the other two pairs have died.

They do offer a definite improvement in sound and isolation over conventional plastic tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars these are awseome, 16 Feb 2013
got these after reading some reviews and they weren't wrong they are really good they fit snugly in to your ears and don't move, add more tone toy your music and good when running at the gym as they dont fall out. they do wear out after a period but that's a small thing

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising how much they improve the sound quality of good headphones., 6 May 2014
I got these for my soundmagic E10 headphones. The sound was good to start off with, but these make it fantastic. Very clear, very loud when turned up to max, and very little sound leakage. Try to work out what size you need beforehand and buy a multipack of the same size ones.

EDIT: 10 days after writing this review, I found my tips had worn out already. Talk about short lifespan! I was using them for 3-4 hours a day, taking them in an out quite a lot but keeping the headphones in a case when not in use. They are made out of the same sort of stuff as earplugs - a sort of waxy foam. As you use them, the waxiness rubs off and they stop fitting your ears so well. Be warned. When new, they have a great effect on the sound quality of your headphones, but they have a very short lifespan.

1.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility issues, 12 Aug 2014
Disappointed that nowhere in the description (when you purchase via Amazon) is there mention of compatibility with different makes of earhone. I have just bought a pair of Skull Candy buds and they do not fit. I can use them on some Shure buds but I wish I had read the reviews about how long they DON'T last and I wouldn't have wasted my money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Make the DENON AHW200s perfect, 6 Jan 2014
Wayne (Burghfield Common, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought a set of DENON AHW200 bluetooth headphones and was devastated to find that the sound was tiny and worse, that they wouldn't stay in my ears, even after trying all the optional earphone tips they came with. Luckily, someone else had already found this when I looked online and recommended replacement tips. I bought these Comply T-400 Mediums and they transformed my DENONs into the perfect headphones. Fantastic sound, ambient noise isolation, solid and totally comfortable fit (I've used them for up to 15 hours straight) - don't know why DENON didn't just ship with these to start with - they would have had much better reviews.

Black ones match the DENONs perfectly. I replace them when they wear out or split (I do just carry the headset in my pocket when not using it) and I've gone through 4 pairs in about a year.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, 15 Dec 2013
really good upgrade compared to the crap you get with most headphones. still not as good as DIY ones made out of softer foam earplugs, but a lot less hassle. recommended for their effect, but they're pricey for what they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 29 Nov 2013
They're:
- light
- comfortable
- they filter out the external noise really good

The only dowsnside is that they're become hard over time, but that's because if the humidity, I suppose, but - hello, for that price? I'm going to buy another set.

Highly recommended.