4.0 out of 5 stars Great for her homework, 19 Jan. 2010
This review is from: ASUS 1008HA 10-inch Netbook (Atom N280 1.6 GHz Processor, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, up to 5.5 Hours Battery Life, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Starter, Very Dark Blue) (Electronics)
Bought this for my daughter, together with a copy of MS Office, for her homework. The netbook format is great for her to carry it about and the limited screen size is not an issue for the bulk of the work she does on it.

It looks great, though the high-gloss finish soon gets smudged. Build quality overall seems good. I was impressed by the keyboard in particular: important on something this small that the action and layout of the keyboard do allow you to type relatively normally (even with my fat fingers).

The dongle for connecting it to an external screen is a bit naff. It's a short cabled thing that is stowed away by slotting into the underside of the device. A conventional socket would have been preferable. I can see it getting lost in the not too distant future.

Each of the sockets (USB, network, etc.) has a cover over it. This does add to its sleek looks when they are not in use but they're a bit fiddly and again I can see them coming adrift at some point.

It comes with the Windows 7 Starter version. This is a real bare-bones version of the OS, OK if you just want to run some simple apps but not for those who like to tinker or customise things to suit themselves. Had I realised I might have been tempted to shop around to see if I could get a more feature-rich version of the OS.

I was impressed with the ease of setting up wireless connectivity. My daughter (age 12) has been able to connect to public Wi-Fi on it with no problems.

Overall impression is a good one. If I was to buy another Netbook I'd consider another of these but would shop around to see if I could get one with better OS, proper socket for a monitor and a removable battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy, 15 Mar. 2010
K. D. Serle (winchester) - See all my reviews
Most people only use a pc for a bit of internet work, storing music, the odd letter and perhaps a bit of downloading. If this is you, then this Net book is for you .
I am using this little pc to supplement a desktop in our office. So instead of leaving my wife alone for quite a few hours over a week , I can mess around on the net , sat in the lounge, garden or wherever linked to a wireless network (see my other review on a netgear router) .
My desktop pc is only 3 years old (A small HP) and in most cases the Asus is as fast if not faster than the HP.
The touch pad takes a bit getting used to but, one could always connect a usb mouse or tracker ball if you wanted to. I don't think its any better or worse that the one I had on a laptop some few years ago.
The minus point is that I am not 100% convinced of Windows 7. I have not used Vista, but have used NT & XP for many years. I am sure I will get used to it but at this moment in time I would rather have the simplicity of XP.
All in all a nice machine but a bit of pain to keep clean

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus eeepc 1008HA, 28 Dec. 2010
Great bit of kit for the price. I run it mainly for gamingforum chat room along with teamspeak chat whilst in game. It is light, good battery life, fast boot with Windows 7 starter and does everything I ask of it. I also find it runs iplayer well and sound quality is good. My family also use it to run online games like club penguin and Farmville on and it handles these well. If you are looking for a good value netbook you should consider this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok for what I want, 5 Feb. 2010
I'm happy with this netbook but I only use it for running Quicken so I haven't really tried it for other stuff. The only disappointment was how tricky it is to upgrade the ram (I checked out youtube demonstrations) so I won't be bothering with that. I like the keyboard and the general appearance though.