on 9 November 2013
i've got 2 gold rated locks but i don't always need such protection. sometimes i just need a quick keyless lock to pop to shops or stop bike rolling away. Thats where the metalock comes in. i don't think it would stand up to a thief on a mission but if the bike isn't out of sight whilst sitting down to lunch or popping into shop for 2 mins or so then think it's perfect
on 24 March 2014
Cant really say much right now because as far as I'm aware no-one has tried to steal my bike. Both locks are easy too use though and seem to be well made. Reason for the 4 star though is because one of the reset code bits took a good 20 minutes to adjust where as the other lock's reset bit was done in seconds. Not bad for the price at all.
on 17 October 2014
So, you might be wondering "how can a lock that costs under £10 protect my bike from theft?" and I will admit, I was thinking the same before I bought two of these. Me and my other half have been using these every day on our morning commute, we leave our bikes for the better part of the day in an unsecured bike lock-up at the train station. I came back from London the other night to find a big fuss at the bike lock-up, 5 bikes had been stolen. No one had made an attempt on my bike (I will try not to take that too personally), but my other half called me over to show me that several unsuccessful attempts had been made to cut the lock cable and clearly they'd given up! So this is testament to the locks. Maybe with more time they'd have gotten through it, but it obviously gave them such a hard time they either gave up and moved onto another bike or simply ran out of time trying to cut the cable in 5 different places. Thank you Metalock, nicely done.
on 16 February 2014
The cable inside of the plastic cover is less than 10mm diameter. I think it is between 5 mm ... rubish!
on 5 November 2013
I have been using this lock for a couple of months, and it does the job fine. I have not noticed any deterioration in function, all in all very pleased for the cash. If I had a more expensive bike I would probably invest in something a bit more heave duty, a set of bolt cutters would have it off in no time.
on 13 February 2014
Havent actually used it yet but it seems robust and handy to be able to set the code (I cannot remember any more passwords or codes!) Comes with holder to attach to bike, haven, t fitted it yet but it looks ok.

If I get the bike nicked I will update the review - no news is good news!
This is a generally good quality, strong lock with fair tolerances. It is easy to set your own 4 digit code. This cable could be easily cut in the middle of the night, so to speak, with bolt cutters but it is fine as a second lock or to secure your bike outside a shop for a short while.
on 10 October 2013
Not long enough to go between both wheels (as mine are both quick release) easy to change the combination to one i can remember and the bike attachement went on easy enough just not very tough considering you will clip the lock on and off it.
on 24 November 2015
Had this lock. A quick snip with bolt cutters and my bike was gone. Takes the same amount of time to snip through this than to put the code in. U-locks will be the only way to go from now on.
on 22 January 2015
The whole concept of this bike lock is very good, and certainly saves me money having to replace them due to lost keys. It is compact enough to be fixed on my Sons bike, and long enough to be useful in most situations.

I only gave it 4 stars because the weakest part is the stem that locks into the combination part, seems quite vulnerable to be snapped by an aggressive thief. Making the rather sturdy cable and overall feel almost, redundant. I would have preferred a metal solution applied to that area.

By looks and general practice, this lock should deter the 'passerby thief'.