5.0 out of 5 stars Worked a treat
Published 17 months ago by Rob

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Only fits the old key but OK
Published 1 month ago by R M Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked a treat, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug (Sports)
Worked exactly as intended, I've removed a few freewheels with this now and the tool shows no adverse wear. Didn't need to use the "vice" method - just big spanner on the end did the trick! When replacing the freewheel though it is worth smearing some anti seize copper grease on the threads to facilitate removal next time. Remember also that this is for freewheels and NOT cassettes, the tools look very similar but are not interchangeable and I suspect some people reviewing these and cassette tools are not aware of this hence the compatibility issues (I wasn't until recently). Remember that a freewheel screws onto the hub, whereas a cassette slides over a "freehub" and is held in place by a lockring (which a cassette tool and chain whip is needed to remove).

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 8 Sep 2011
James Taylor (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug (Sports)
This was the right tool to use to remove the 6-speed Shimano freewheel on my hybrid. I took the wheel off, put the tool in place inside the freewheel, gave it a good squirt of GT85, & loosely replaced the nut over the top. I then put the tool into a vice to hold it and turned the wheel to loosen the freewheel. It was on very tight but the wheel gave enough leverage to unscrew it.

Once it had been loosened it unscrewed very easily by hand. All done and wheel back on the bike in less than 5 minutes!

This tool was good value and arrived very quickly. I might need it once every 2-3 years but when it is needed, there's simply no substitute. The kids' bikes had better watch out now, because their freewheels will be up for replacement if they don't behave themselves.

Taking the freewheel off will also make it a lot easier to clean. It might even go in the dishwasher from time to time!

I have also bought a cassette removal tool from the same maker on amazon to make it easier to clean the cassette on my other bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug (Sports)
Works with Shimano hyperglide freewheels. For some reason all freewheel remover manufacturers advertise their product as compatible with uniglide freewheels. None of them mention hyperglide freewheels anywhere. Park tools doesn't do either.

Anyway, the thing is this freewheel remover works with Shimano hyperglide freewheels even though hyperglide is not mentioned in the description.

The only thing you need to be careful about is whether you have a freewheel or a freehub. This tool is for a freewheel (screw on type). It is not for a freehub (slide on type, also known as cassette). They are not compatible. This tool will not work with a cassette. This is for freewheels.

If you are not sure whether you have a freewheel or freehub, make a google search and you should find Sheldon Brown's website where he explains the difference with pictures. As a general rule, if you have a quick release axle on the rear hub you are more likely to have a freehub (a slide on cassette) and if you have a a solid axle with bolt nuts, you are more likely to have a freewheel (a screw on type).

To take off the freewheel you need to turn it counter clockwise. This means the thread directions are regular. I used an adjustable wrench and it worked fine. Because the freewheel to tight I had to step on the wrench. To prevent the wheel from turning I have put it between a doorway and left the tire on and pumped. While pressing down I didn't want my feet to catch any spokes so I put a piece of cardboard in front of the spokes.

The freewheel I took off was a Shimano 14/34T HG freewheel. I took off an 14/34T 6 speed and put on a 14/34T 7 speed and this tool fits both.

In the picture the material looks poor, as if it is going to crack. But in reality is perfectly fine. It works great.

Update:
I have now bought a 1 inch combination wrench for this tool because I think the adjustable wrench is going to eventually damage it. The wrench was 3.99 including delivery from ebay from a seller called cheshiretools.

I thought I wasn't going to use this tool too often. So I didn't mind not having a combination wrench at the beginning but recently I needed to add a spoke protector and then I also had to replace some spokes and now I think I will replace the hub and learn how to build a wheel and I think I might replace the rim. In short, I think you do need a combination wrench because you might end up using this tool more often than you think.

4.0 out of 5 stars Set your freewheel free, 2 Mar 2013
Mr. A Brown (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug (Sports)
The trouble with Shimano freewheels is they are effectively screwed down every time the chain turns. Soon the freewheel is stuck to the hub and will not come off. This must-have gadget fits inside the teeth of the freewheel stem to give a flat surface for a spanner. Turn anticlockwise to get the freewheel off. However, some freewheels are fused so tightly, you will need a Tommy bar on the end of the spanner to get enough torque to break it free! Then you know why you need this little gadget :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Shimano gearset remover, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug (Sports)
Product arrived within expected timeframe. It works perfectly as designed and is stong enough to withstand very determined hammer blows on a socket extension arm to loosen the old gearset.

5.0 out of 5 stars An annoying problem solved, 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug (Sports)
If you have a shimano (in my case shimano XD) Freewheel and your current tool doesn't fit because it's fractionally too big for the hole then buy this because it fits. I bought it on the off chance it did. Luckily I was right. My tool was from Halfords. so I'm not sure if it's Halfords that are the evil ones or shimano. Halfords sell many brands of bicycle so I'm guessing it's Shimano! robbing ********!

Bruce

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug (Sports)
I can't believe how good this tool is for the money. It took a freewheel off a 25 year old bike (first time since it left the factory) - no problem at all. Would recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug (Sports)
Takes all the hassle out of the job. Fits ok and does the job, and is another essential tool for stripping push-bikes

4.0 out of 5 stars Job Done, 8 Nov 2010
This review is from: Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug (Sports)
Good product description, best price on the web and timely delivery; perfect for a one-off job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality freewheel remover, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug (Sports)
Bought this item to remove the freewheel on my old bike, does "like it says on the tin" and like the B/B removal tool it's good quality and i would definitely recommend this Freewhweel remover as it's easy to use and it does not break the bank to buy it , good tool
I would buy Cyclo products again

Cyclo Freewheel Remover Shimano Ug