I think this is a great product and the fact that it is odourless and safety-tested is, in many ways, the best we can expect when you consider how babies will play on it.

For due diligence I wrote Playmatonline to inquire as to some of the safety concerns of the product; as a public service below is the response I got from them.

"Formamide is one of...
Published on 25 Aug 2011 by Carlos de Vera

2.0 out of 5 stars How do I get rid of the chemicals on them?!
They seem to be of good quality as such, but the chemical smell they give off is unbearable! I've washed them with soap and aired them for over 48 hours now and I am still scared for my baby and 5yo to go on them. They also still have that waxy slippery layer on them, how do I get rid of that? It stays under our feet and gets carried through the whole house!
Published 4 months ago by Zamera

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick response on safety - explains formamide issue and extent of EN71 testing, 25 Aug 2011
This review is from: TLCmat® Soft Alphabet & Number Puzzle Play Mat Jigsaw 36pcs (A-Z & 0-9) with Storage Bag (Baby Product)

"Formamide is one of the most commonly used agent when making soft plastic items. Formamide is used during the production of the foam, if it is not precoded properly, formamide will be left in foam and strong ammonia smell. Since all our mats is produces to odourless level and passed European Toy Safety Test EN71 Part, 1, 2, 3, 9, 10 and 11, there should not be any Formamide left.

Regarding about your concern about the product recall in Belgium and France, it is just because there are too many cut cost production playmat with strong ammonia smell and do not pass EN71 test (or ever been tested). So far the European union have not yet set up the standard limit or rules for this contain.

EN 71-1: Mechanical and physical properties
EN 71-2: Flammability
EN 71-3: Specification for migration of certain elements (test for toxic, i.e lead etc)
EN 71-9: Organic chemical compounds - Requirement (test for toxic, i.e ammonia etc)
EN 71-10: Organic chemical compounds - Sample preparation and extraction
EN 71-11: Organic chemical compounds - Methods of analysis

EN 71 Part 1-3 is the basic test for all soft toy product.
EN71 part 9-11 is not normally required for this type of product but we do it just because it is our obligation to provide better PlayMat for parent out there.

Best Regards"

4.0 out of 5 stars foam play mat, 19 Jan 2011
I bought this a couple of days before hearing that such items were being withdrawn from sale in France and Belgium (5 days before Xmas)because some mats contains formamide and ammonia; the item arrived 3 days later but I was hesitant: should I open it or not? I needed sthg to protect my baby from the parquet floor when he was playing on his activity mat and I had figured out that this could be used later when he can crawl and is learning to walk.I used it for a couple of weeks then I decided to try to find out if it indeed contained traces for the carcinogenous product ammonia and formamide so I asked the seller and the manufacturer. The seller didn't even acknowledge my email but the manufacturer got back to me on that very day (a Sunday!) explaining that it's the cheaper mats (the ones that smell :)) that have residue of the dangerous chemicals. They added a list of European tests they carry out on their mats to ensure they are safe as they are not allowed to dry properly. Although I can only take their word for it, I was impressed by the speedy response (it does make they look that they deal with isusues as they come up)and it makes sense. I decided to keep an eye on the European press to be sure but to use the mat in the meantime and I am happy with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars How do I get rid of the chemicals on them?!, 18 Aug 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I ordered it again, 7 Dec 2009
This is such a great product that I ordered another one for when we visit relatives. Our son is still very unsteady on his feet and these have saved him getting a nasty bump on quite a few occsaions. They offer grip and are ealy to wipe clean.

1.0 out of 5 stars Formamides!, 21 May 2011
I emailed this manufacturer asking if their product contains formamides. They claim to do a lot of testing and list all the chemicals they don't have, however formamides is not on the list. Formamides are the toxins that have gotten these things banned in many european countries and listed as not safe for babies. The company never bothered to write me back. Just a heads up to all you other parents out there looking to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars great play mat, 28 Jun 2014
this is a great play mat. i read alot of the reviews, some of which put me off but i went ahead anyway

its 1.85x1.85 and is great for a baby on the brink of crawling. think i read it could be thicker, but I think it's plenty thick. think i also read of funny smells off the tiles but didn't experience that. like the idea of buying more pieces to make the mat even bigger

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but the bag broke immediately, 3 Jun 2013
Storage bag is a waste of time as the zip instantly broke but the mat is fabulous. Easy to clean, nice and bright. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars playmat, 11 Nov 2010
Great product if you need some kind of floor protection e.g. if you have hardwood floors on concrete.
Could have been a little thicker. We have put it under a rug to prevent our baby from pulling out
the letters and numbers. Small pieces exist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Jun 2010
J. Mallinder - See all my reviews
We and our 11 month old daughter love this product! It's one of the best things we bought for her. It is also helping her overall mobility and crawling, she was struggling before as we have laminate floor.
I would strongly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 28 April 2010
S. Narayanan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
My son is 7 months old and is learning to crawl..this is perfect for him..I have not put the numbers yet as they have really small parts - but the alphabets do teh job very nicely..his crawling has improved greatly as the mat provides him the required grip and prevents bumps on his head. Very happy!