5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop Speakers
I wanted some speakers to link to my Notebook that were small and portable yet powerful enough for a room full of people to hear. This is perfect - the speaker is tiny, lightweight and just as good, if not better than the Logitech speakers I was previously using. It even comes with a little case so I can shove it into my briefcase without fear of it being damaged. A...
Published on 11 Jun 2010 by H. S. Flack

2.0 out of 5 stars nice sound but has problems
this speaker is very easy to use and produces great sound quality. it's got some problems though:
first of all, the wire is too short. secondly, whenever i turn my laptop on this speaker produces loud static noise. it never played the windows opening sound. i tried it with my friend's laptop and it does the same thing. lastly, when not in use, i notice that it keeps...
Published on 19 Mar 2011 by ric b

1.0 out of 5 stars Who's letting the air out of a balloon ?, 20 April 2013
John Ryan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Altec Lansing Orbit-USB Portable Laptop Speaker (discontinued by manufacturer) (Personal Computers)
When you turn on your PC - and I've tried it on 3 different ones - it makes a weird noise (see title) for a couple of seconds, which also happens when you shut down. But when the PC goes to sleep, it happens constantly. It would drive me mad, and why should I have to disconnect and reconnect a speaker all the time just to compensate for a design flaw ? If you want to hear the noise, search for "Orbit USB speaker problem" on YouTube.

Shame, because it's a handy size and sounds good.

4.0 out of 5 stars So much for so little, 31 Mar 2013
Huge noise and great base for such a small unit. Feels of great quality, and the case keeps it safe when not in use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Best Avoided, 26 Mar 2013
Mr. Am Kean "adthelad" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Like some previous reviews I also got the squealing and farting noise when the speaker is powered up or down/ I don't think it will last long doing that. The sound quality is only so-so even by portable USB speaker standards. Furthermore, the Altec Lansing brand appears to no longer have a UK or EU service arrangement now that it has been sold on by the major headset/teleconferencing specialist Plantronics to another company. You will be reliant on the retailer for warranty from what I can see. I got some HP speakers for under £10 from Sainsburys. They are at least as good if you use the Windows bass boost and loudness control. Amazon have them here:

HP Digital Portable Speaker

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than tinny laptop speakers., 21 Mar 2013
JOHN GREEN (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
I wasn't expecting great things from such a small item, but it really does give a better experience than the speakers you find in most laptops. And so easy to use - you just plug it into your USB port, the drivers are installed quickly, and you have more than adequate sound almost immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Product., 21 Jan 2013
Pros...

I needed a small ...unobtrusive speaker for my desktop pc and this USB powered unit does the job very well.
It is very easy to install and even on my XP system it was up and running in minutes after allowing Windows to search for the appropriate drivers etc...

The sound quality is far better than I expected it to be especially bearing in mind the low cost.....so all in all it represents excellent value for money.

Cons.....

The supplied USB cable is necessarily very short so that it can be stored inside the unit for transportation....as my pc is under my desk I needed to purchase an extension USB cable so that the speaker could be placed behind the monitor....the extension cable was only a couple of pounds so not a problem .

This Altec Lansing USB Speaker is a well made piece of kit.....highly recommended...!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Listening is believing, 18 Sep 2012
I purchased this item because the speakers on my brand new laptop was not up to the standard I was use to, however the sound quality of this piece of equipment is excellent when watching DVDs and playing music.

The built-in stand and protective case are wonderful extras to what is a beautiful portable speaker that produces clear and undistorted sounds.

Definitely one of my best buys on Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cons & Pros (more / major cons though), 29 Aug 2012
A great concept and looks well made ... XP didn't recognise it so I tried to get a driver. Altec don't drivers this but if you see the number of requests on their site, and then their absurdly arrogant response, I'm surprised they're still in business.
UPDATE - now got it working - God knows how ... a few reboots and unplugs / replugging, searching new hardware, etc did it. It's great now working (but my faith in it always working is dented?!?).
Great umph from a little portable device (with only one neatly stored cable).
Delighted with it's performance, but Altec - you need to sort yourselves out re driver assistance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Altec Orbit PortableSpeaker, 1 Feb 2012
Really pleased with the product, good quality build, good quality carrying case + produces good quality sound reproduction - laptop speakers were rubbish but using the Altec speaker now able to fully enjoy Van the Man, Johnny Cash and the Cure

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 20 Nov 2011
My toshiba netbook is great, but the speakers might as well not be there in any sort of noise... so I took a chance with this speaker and it's amazing... highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars small but loud, 3 July 2011
very handy speaker i used to replace my laptop speaker.
i actually have bought it a 2nd time. :)