5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop Speakers
I wanted some speakers to link to my Notebook that were small and portable yet powerful enough for a room full of people to hear. This is perfect - the speaker is tiny, lightweight and just as good, if not better than the Logitech speakers I was previously using. It even comes with a little case so I can shove it into my briefcase without fear of it being damaged. A...
Published on 11 Jun. 2010 by H. S. Flack

2.0 out of 5 stars nice sound but has problems
this speaker is very easy to use and produces great sound quality. it's got some problems though:
first of all, the wire is too short. secondly, whenever i turn my laptop on this speaker produces loud static noise. it never played the windows opening sound. i tried it with my friend's laptop and it does the same thing. lastly, when not in use, i notice that it keeps...
Published on 19 Mar. 2011 by ric b

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 22 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Altec Lansing Orbit-USB Portable Laptop Speaker (Personal Computers)
Read all the review and I decided on this one as I didnt want an expensive one as only to use with my laptop. But it is fine, sound is ok although cant adjust volume, which I knew from reviews. The cable is very short and could do with being a bit longer, its only about 9". Overall, good for the price, and very handy if travelling with its little case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little speaker, 11 Sept. 2011
Ideal usb speaker.Compact and neat. Well finished and solid with a sound to match. The sound quality is superb, obviously volume is limited but for its size, excellent. Tight fitting case is protective and smart

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little package, 6 Feb. 2011
Excellently designed item, plugs straight into computer via USB and the clarity of sound is superb, especially on fastmoving spoken language. Music too is clear, the fact that it isn't stereo is barely noticeable. I bought this for use with my netbook, but even with my laptop it is well worth plugging in. It comes in neat packaging, would fit easily into a small suitcase, and all in all, is one of the best small computer-related purchases I have ever made. Amazing value for both the quality and the flexibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a laptop with useless speakers, 17 Dec. 2010
Got the Altec Lansing Orbit-USB Portable Laptop Speaker for someone for Christmas.. who has a problem hearing anything on his laptop due to poor laptop speakers.
I tried it on my laptop and the sound that comes out of the Altec Lansing Orbit-USB Portable Laptop Speaker is very good indeed.The person I will give this as a Christmas present will be very very happy with it...no batteries or power supply needed because it is powered by the USB port and no setting up .. just plug in and go.
A good buy ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Product., 21 Jan. 2013
Pros...

I needed a small ...unobtrusive speaker for my desktop pc and this USB powered unit does the job very well.
It is very easy to install and even on my XP system it was up and running in minutes after allowing Windows to search for the appropriate drivers etc...

The sound quality is far better than I expected it to be especially bearing in mind the low cost.....so all in all it represents excellent value for money.

Cons.....

The supplied USB cable is necessarily very short so that it can be stored inside the unit for transportation....as my pc is under my desk I needed to purchase an extension USB cable so that the speaker could be placed behind the monitor....the extension cable was only a couple of pounds so not a problem .

This Altec Lansing USB Speaker is a well made piece of kit.....highly recommended...!!.

1.0 out of 5 stars Best Avoided, 26 Mar. 2013
Mr. Am Kean "adthelad" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Like some previous reviews I also got the squealing and farting noise when the speaker is powered up or down/ I don't think it will last long doing that. The sound quality is only so-so even by portable USB speaker standards. Furthermore, the Altec Lansing brand appears to no longer have a UK or EU service arrangement now that it has been sold on by the major headset/teleconferencing specialist Plantronics to another company. You will be reliant on the retailer for warranty from what I can see. I got some HP speakers for under £10 from Sainsburys. They are at least as good if you use the Windows bass boost and loudness control. Amazon have them here:

HP Digital Portable Speaker

4.0 out of 5 stars Cons & Pros (more / major cons though), 29 Aug. 2012
A great concept and looks well made ... XP didn't recognise it so I tried to get a driver. Altec don't drivers this but if you see the number of requests on their site, and then their absurdly arrogant response, I'm surprised they're still in business.
UPDATE - now got it working - God knows how ... a few reboots and unplugs / replugging, searching new hardware, etc did it. It's great now working (but my faith in it always working is dented?!?).
Great umph from a little portable device (with only one neatly stored cable).
Delighted with it's performance, but Altec - you need to sort yourselves out re driver assistance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 25 Feb. 2011
This speaker is perfect for giving your laptop sound a much needed boost to bass and volume.

it's also portable, great buy defiantly worth the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Who's letting the air out of a balloon ?, 20 April 2013
John Ryan - See all my reviews
When you turn on your PC - and I've tried it on 3 different ones - it makes a weird noise (see title) for a couple of seconds, which also happens when you shut down. But when the PC goes to sleep, it happens constantly. It would drive me mad, and why should I have to disconnect and reconnect a speaker all the time just to compensate for a design flaw ? If you want to hear the noise, search for "Orbit USB speaker problem" on YouTube.

Shame, because it's a handy size and sounds good.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job., 6 Jan. 2013
It does what says on the box.One thing I dont like its makes noise when computer goes on standby and you havnt pluged it off your computer.

Altec Lansing Orbit-USB Portable Laptop Speaker