5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent lens
This is a cracking lens and is just about the only lens I used on my 450D and now my 7D. It is solid and dependable. It was great in combination with my 450D and is even better with the 7D.
It doesn't try to stretch too far 15-85 so performance is OK at both extremes and great in the middle. I have taken some fantastic
photos which I would never have been able...
Published on 28 Dec 2010 by happy camper

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price
I bought this lens as an upgrade to my kit 18-55mm, but was a bit disappointed. The range is a greater, that's for sure, but it's not greater by much. Image quality is comparable to 18-55. I read on reviews, that 15-85 is nearly as sharp as L lens, but I compared it with my 18-55 and they produce similar results. You can buy this lens for its greater zoom range, but not...
Published on 5 April 2011 by Pete

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent lens, 28 Dec 2010
This review is from: Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
photos which I would never have been able to get if the thing wasn't so versatile as the opportunity would have been gone if I had needed to change lenses.
I don't know of a better lens for walk about than this - it really makes life easy and saves you fiddling with the technology rather than getting the pic composition reasonable. I have also used it for portrait work - works well and you can keep your distance from the poor unfortunate subject

The one drawback is the price :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted!, 21 Aug 2011
S. Privett (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
Spent some time looking for a replacement for the standard Canon kit lens EFS 18-55mm for an EOS 500D which I was never entirely happy with, the results not being that much better than a good quality compact. Well in a word 'Delighted' with the improvement this lens has brought about. The image quality is significantly better with improved contrast and sharpness right across the range. I've read one or two mixed reports about the quality and image stabilisation not being much better than the kit lens, but this is certainly not the case with the sample I have where it has worked remarkably well in low light situations, something you might be concerned about with the variable f/3.5-5.6 aperture. The extra 3mm wide angle range is very useful for landscapes giving an effective 24mm on the 500D. The telephoto range also makes this an ideal walkabout lens that copes with most general photography. This lens does have sone vignetting at wide angles but this is easily compensated for on the later Canon bodies, you simply need to enable the 'Peripheral Illumin.' to correct in the camera's Menu. If this lens is not supported (it was not on my 500D) then simply run the EOS Utility that came on the CD with the camera to update with the 15-85mm correction data. It works a treat and you will not have any light fall-off in the corners :-) To add; the build quality is noticeably better than kit with both zoom and focus feeling nice and smooth, focus performance is very quick and accurate in most situations. I decided to fit a UV filter (I know there are pros and cons to this but I worry less about damaging an expensive lens) and paid extra for a Hoya HD which cleans beautifully compared to the cheaper ones available, none of the usual smearing.

So to conclude my experience is that this is a cracking little zoom to use and above all I'm taking better pictures thanks to its versatility and performance. Recommended without reservation!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great walkabout lens, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
I have tried numerous lenses on various cameras in the past few years since I got in to photography.

I started out with the 450d with an 18-55mm and a 55-250mm lens. I upgraded the 18-55 to the 17-55 f/2.8 lens along with a 50d which I have since replaced with this 15-85mm which is now the only lens I use on my 60d.

I was looking for a lens that would stay on my camera most of the time and feel that the 15-85 is the perfect walkabout lens. Sure it is not as fast as the 17-55 but you do get the wider angle and a bit more zoom but at the cost of the variable aperture. I don't pixel peep like other people but in terms of picture quality I have not seen much difference between the two lenses. I also feel the 15-85 is a nicer size on the 60d as it is smaller and balances the camera better than the larger and heavier 17-55.

The 15-85 does have a bit of barrel distortion at the wide angle as per most lenses but this is not a problem to me as the Lightroom 3 lens profile fixes this. I find the 15 also wide enough for landscapes and city photography so that saved me from buying a proper wide angle like the canon 10-22mm and it was long enough for my requirements so could get rid of the 55-250mm.

The zoom is nice and smooth as is the full time manual focus so this is great to have to take some really nice video with the likes of the 550d, 7d and 60d.

The 15-85 has a metal mount so you will find this a nice upgrade from the kit lenses and generally the lens feels very solid. When the lens is pointed downwards you will not experience any lens creep unless you are around the 50/55mm. At 15 and 85mm it doesn't move.

I have had my lens for about 18 months and have used it fairly extensively and recently the silver band at the end of the lens has started to peel off. It is like the red band you see on the L lenses. I have spoken to the repair centre who said that it won't be a big deal to fix but it is a bit of a pain that it has happened. I have read on the forums that this has happened to other users so this is why I have knocked it down to 4 stars.

If you want a good sized walkabout lens I would say give this lens serious consideration but your lens choice will simply be down to the type of photography you do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely walkabout lens, but..., 3 Jan 2012
Shruti George (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
The Canon 15-85 mm EF-S IS USM lens is what stays on my Canon EOS 60D most of the time and has produced brilliant pictures over the past 13 odd months (my other lenses are a Canon 100 - 400 mm L IS USM, and the good puppy - Canon 50 mm starter). From a completely non-technical perspective, then, these are my few pennies on the lens:
* For beginners, this is a great lens to learn photography with. I've adopted a learn-as-I-go approach and this lens has let me take portraits, landscape (brilliant ones), still-lifes, motion, wildlife - the whole gamut - without having to put on my ultra-zoom. This has to do with the great range of the lens. And it takes fairly good night-time pictures on auto-ISO Av mode as well (handheld and on a Gorillapod). I have been able to see a good progression in the pictures I have been taking the past year.
* While not L-quality glass, the lens is fairly robust. It has been taken through the desert, beach, forest and a few boat-rides and is fairly low-maintenance.
* It has not showed vignetting or major lens flare issues
* Its DOF is brilliant and it is not soft. It does have a tendency to hunt if you are close to the subject and at the lower (15mm) end. You will have to then swap to MF and use the fine-tuning ring instead - fairly obvious stuff
* Its weight might be more suited to xxD and xD models. The 550D seemed too light with the 15-85 mm on it. My 60D feels supremely balanced and grippable.

Here's the "but" from my review. The lens jammed at 35 mm last week and I finally made it give to 20 mm, and no lower. The 15 - 20 mm range has stopped working, which has become a little disconcerting. In addition, the lens suddenly became afflicted with lens creep, because the 20 mm stop is not its natural end.
The interwbz reveal that this is not an issue that crop up often for this lens (the 17 - 85 mm seems to be the most jammed lens), but I am stuck with the 20 - 85 range till I reach home and give the lens to Canon repair. And of course, this happened just after the warranty period ran out - typical.

All in all, I am still fairly happy with the lens (especially after I printed a few pictures out to hang at home), and hope they fix it quick!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 9 Aug 2011
Mr. George Johnson "Gj" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
Like most others I had been using the cheap and cheerful stock 18-55mm, I finally felt I had got to a stage where my pictures could be improved with some better glass. I had already shelled out for an upgrade from a 300D to 550D so there was not a lot left in the kitty, L-series was out and I wanted a work-horse lens with a good range so it wouldn't be on and off the body. I have to say that 95% of the pictures I have taken over the last 18 months have been with this lens. It's an absolutely superb lens with very little vignetting at the extremes, always crisp and clear and with useful range down to f/3.5. I have used it in all sorts of conditions from crystal clear Summer days to dingy wet night scenes and it has never let me down.

The only minor complaint, which I believe is very common with this lens, the barrel is quite loose. If you fit a set of Lee filters and tip it up or down it can slip in or out and de-focus. I shoot almost exclusively horizontal landscapes so this is no bother to me, but it can be annoying when you're carrying it and the barrel slides out.

If your in that hobby range not quite ready to spend the L-series money but need something better than the budget end of the hobby lenses, get this lens you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality piece of kit, 3 Oct 2011
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
When we bought our 60D, we thought the 18-55 lens kit was a good deal - and it probably was. But we have been building our collection of lenses, and having supplemented the original lens, we decided that it was already time to replace it with something rather better.

This lens is in a different league, which frankly you would expect given the huge jump in price. It is big, solid, and rather heavy, but it fits on the the camera with a very satisfying clunk, and once there, it feels surprisingly well balanced and not at all unwieldy.

There is one area that this lens does to seem to suffer in according to the reviews I read, and that is vignetting. I had already ensured the camera had the data for this lens installed to allow the built-in peripheral illumination correction (IE: vignetting compensation) to work. If you have a camera that supports this and you have not investigated it, do it. The in-camera correction it does for JPGs is really very good. If you tend to shoot RAW, then you can probably get even better results post-camera in the DPP software. But the in-camera correction is still very good. Take a picture of an evenly lit blank wall without flash, with and without the option turned on, and you can see the results very clearly.

One feature of this lens that I particularly like is that you can operate the manual focus even when the lens is in autofocus mode, and when the camera is focussing, the focus ring does not turn, so you don't have to worry about how you are cradling the lens in your hand while shooting and obstructing its movement, or possibly even breaking it, as you might do with other lenses.

If you are buying this lens and also want a hood for it - don't pay a fortune for the Canon one. Look for JJC - it is less than a third of the price, and is very good quality - fits well and does not obscure any of the frame.

I have seen some reviews which say that there isn't much difference in quality between this and the 18-55. That aside for a moment, this lens does give a lot more at both ends of the scale - 15 is gratifyingly wide-angle, while 85 is a really very decent general purpose zoom. But on the quality front, for me there is no contest. This lens is streets ahead of our 18-55, which suffers quite bad chromatic aberration. Maybe it is faulty, I don't know. But I am very happy with this replacement. It's expensive, and when you look at the results, you can tell.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent standard zoom lens for APS-C cameras, 13 July 2012
This review is from: Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
Please don't take the Amazon star rating too serious - every lens has its pros and cons that I wouldn't want to squeeze into a single one-dimensional figure...
A quick note about me: I have been into SLR cameras and lenses for more than 20 years - as a hobby in the beginning and professionally later. Maybe because of my technical background I started testing my own lenses quite a while ago. I have a (no longer so) little test lab of my own where I do 6 different image quality tests (after taking a lens out for a while).

The EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is one of quite a few Canon standard zoom lenses for APS-C cameras. "Standard" of course refers to the focal range of this lens rather than its build and image quality which is certainly above standard. Made from high-end plastics and featuring a metal lens mount the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM does have a very solid feel. The ultra sound focus motor is very fast and acurate and even more impressive is the modern image stabilizer that compensates 4 exposure values.

While the resolution of the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is really good and rivals some L series lenses other image quality factors are not as good. Distortion is a serious issue at the wide end of the focal range but well under control for longer focal lengths. Color errors ("chromatic aberrations") are quite intense but only in focused areas of the image ("transverse CA"). Out-of-focus areas fortunately do not have color fringes ("axial CA") and the bokeh is very even as well. There is also some curvature of the focal plane ("field curvature") and a still healthy amount of corner shadow ("vignetting").

Overall the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is certainly one of Canon's high-end offerings and has its price tag for a good reason. Some might prefer the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM over this lens for its better maximum aperture and image quality. But of course that lens is bigger, heavier and has a much narrower focal range which limits one thing that's very important for a general purpose standard zoom lens: versatility. I have taken the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM on many trips with no regret...

A much more detailed review of this lens together with all test shots, sample images and technical data is available on my website LensTests_com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 1 July 2010
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
Before deciding upon this lens I did a considerable amount of research into the various lens options for my Canon 400D. I felt I was not getting the best out of the camera with the 18-55mm lens supplied as standard with the camera. Already having a 75-300mm telephoto and a 100mm macro lens, it rather narrowed down the area of choice for the next lens.

The problem was that everyone seemed to be saying that the 18-55mm supplied lens was very good, and it is within reason, but in practice I find it difficult to get the best out of it, not too bad with relative close-ups but broader shots did not satisfy. While the optics might be good, the play in the manual focusing makes accurate focusing difficult.

This lens, the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 had some pretty good press reviews, and several recommended it as a worthy walk-around lens; one review said of this lens that "it stands out from the crowd" among the many general purpose lenses, and that it offers "top-tier image quality over an excellent general purpose focal length range".

Well I am not disappointed. Firstly the lens has a good solid feel to it and a nice weight. The zoom operates smoothly and without any flexing, and the manual focusing ring is easy and positive to use with no play in it. In either case the lens does not rotate during adjustments, useful when using some filters.

As for the images it produces, there is a vast improvement over the standard equipment lens. Sharper more detailed images, better tonal range, and better colour rendition; I find I have less editing to do to produce a more accurate picture. Plus the extra flexibility with the slightly wider angle at one end and the much greater range at the 85mm end. That it has Image Stabilisation makes it easier to use with confidence with slower shutter speeds or for telephoto shots.

This is without doubt the lens that will be on my camera the most.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best walkaround lens for landscape photograpers!, 21 April 2013
Mr. H. Mackay (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens (Accessory)
After owning both the tamron 18-50 f2.8 (which i carelessly dropped whilst cleaning!), the canon 18-135mm IS STM and the sigma 10-20mm lenses I felt I wanted a lens with just that bit extra wideangle coverage on my walkaround lens as the sigma 10-20mm lens I bought for landscapes didn't get used as much as I thought it would since I like to shoot at a range of focal lengths when I see an interesting subject and it was a lot of hassle to keep switching lenses, holding the rest of the family up on our walk while I did so. I therefore went for this lens, both for the wideangle cverage and also the slightly better quality glass.

I am most definitely not dissapointed!! I can now shoot most of the subjects I desire to with one lens (I use a sigma 30mm f1.4 for low light subjects) and the image quality is stunning! Gone are the moderate CA issues I had with the 18-135mm STM and the build quality on this is superb! The AF is as silent as the STM and very fast!

There is currently not a lens to compete with it in terms of the focal range it offers, those extra few mm really make a difference if you shoot landscapes! Highly recommended!!

4.0 out of 5 stars wow, 10 Nov 2009
John Kirkpatrick "Microbe" (Kent , England) - See all my reviews
I bought the Canon 15-85mm IS last Saturday, not from Amazon as price was too high. I wanted a lens that I could use as "A walk about" and this seemed to fit the bill. I took some shots in the local park that evening and was very impressed with the results. I took a bit of a gamble buying this lens as I found only one review; in this country and America. I compared the findings with 17-40 F4l and 17 - 55 F2.8 IS.
The 15-85 was slightly worse on Barrel distortion and CA compared to the other two, but was far superior on Resolution. The big question is going to be is the 17-55 F2.8 better if working in low light probably yes but the lens is not as sharp also it is more expensive. If looking at these lenses then think very carefully about the 15-85 as the zoom is much larger than the other two examples and the resolution is far superior. I only gave the product 4* on account of the barrel distortion and the CA values. CA can be corrected in RAW and barrel distortion by altering the aperture.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›