5.0 out of 5 stars A sad story of a proud rabbit who learns to love.
Published on 3 Aug. 2008 by ELH Browning

1.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you read this book before sharing it with your child
I can see this is beautifully written, however, I feel the relentless misery as Edward lurches from one dreadful situation to another is not what I would like to share with my daughter before she goes to sleep. I told her some of the story and read a little to her, showed her the pictures, and she decided she did not want to read such a desperately sad book. I feel the...
Published on 20 Dec. 2012 by Elizabeth Foulger

5.0 out of 5 stars A sad story of a proud rabbit who learns to love., 3 Aug. 2008
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Short chapters of beautiful prose follow this rabbit from his haughty beginnings as the conceited and self-centred china rabbit who belongs to a privileged little girl. He is immaculately looked after, has his own place setting at the table and is dressed in fine clothes, a beauty to behold. However, Edward is a proud and unlikeable rabbit who doesn't appreciate the little girls's love for him. Her Grandma is disappointed by the rabbit and tells him the tale of princess who never felt the loved lavished upon her, a tale which he thinks over again and again throughout the journey that follows.
Travelling aboard a cruise liner, Edward falls overboard and is finally rescued by a fisherman. He is looked after by his wife but he is cruelly taken from them. His adventures then take him across the United States with a tramp and his dog, but once again he is separated from his companions, a rabbit who now appreciates the value of friends. My daughter (7) particularly enjoyed it when Edward moved from stage to stage, being given a different and often amusing new name in each. He finally finds happiness as Jangles with a chronically-ill little girl who then dies, and Edward is humbled to have found and lost a true love. Does he have the strength to carry on?
There is sadness along the way with each of the very different characters who take care of Edward but during the journey, Edward learns the value of companionship, friends and love. My daughter is often very sensitive to sad issues in stories - however with this book I found the simplicity of the narrative, the brevity of the chapters and the gently lyrical prose seemed to contain the depth of her sadness because the story kept moving on at a good pace.
Ending up in a doll-maker's shop after his long journey, Edward is worried about loving again, scared of the heartbreak that it can cause. However, his travels take him full circle and the happy conclusion is a neat tying of the threads which my daughter (7) loved.
This is an unusual book with its simple tale, a sort-of "Teddy Robinson" crossed with Gobbolino the Witches cat, yet bearing an additional dimension of sadness and carrying a message of love and it's value. The realistic and detailed black and white illustrations every few pages were a perfect accompaniment to this thought-provoking and moving tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Classic, 7 Jan. 2007
Alan Turner (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read this book aloud to my 8 year old daughter over a number of days. We were both captivated by the storyline and at the end my daughter said she wished the book could go on forever! I can honestly say it is one of the best childrens books I have ever read and highly recommend it (so does my daughter). One word of warning - the book includes the death of a child, more sensitive children will find this upsetting. That said the book is one of the most rewarding books I (and my daughter) have ever read. In recognition of that I was inspired to write my first ever Amazon review! We will remember and treasure this book always.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really great book, 5 May 2009
A Kid's Review
I am nearly 10 and I really thought this book a truly beautiful novel. Edward really was a vain and ignorant soul at the beginning of his adventure but he did really learn his lesson from being under the sea! I think he really did understand love in the end. Read it because it is a touching experience to make you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous book, 16 Aug. 2008
A Kid's Review
(review written by my daughter)"This book is the greatest book I have ever read. I am only 9 but I really, really liked it. Some parts are sad but most of it is happy especially the ending. I read it over a string of 2 nights because I couldn't put it down. The death if of the little girl, Sarah Ruth, was really upsetting the way the author described it. It made me feel really, really sad, I felt like I was the little boy called Bryce, but the way the auther writes it makes you feel sad but also gives you a warm feeling inside you knowing that the little boy tries to go on knowing about his sister and tries to make her happy so that she dies with a happy life. I really liked the story, one of the best books I have ever read. I would recommend it to everyone up to 100. I have asked my mum to read it now as I know she will enjoy it too!!"

5.0 out of 5 stars The most memorable story ever!, 25 July 2009
I read this to my daughters who were aged 6 and 8 at the time. We read one or two chapters each night, as sometimes I had to move on to a happier chapter before they slept. It really awakens emotions, and when we finally reached the end we were all in tears as it was just the most perfect ending. I have recommended it to many people as I think it is one of the finest pieces of junior fiction ever written, but have the tissues handy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Edward, 23 Feb. 2008
R. Kervick "caoimhe + rose" (dublin) - See all my reviews
I am 7 years old. I loved this book and hope you will too. Its got miracles and a happy ending. People of all ages will like this, children and adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic of our time, 29 Nov. 2008
C. R. Ibbetson (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This whole book is an incredible journey from start to finish.A love story of the kind we all remember from early childhood.That of a child for her favourite toy.Edward is a vain rabbit who's owner loves him very much to the point that he has his own place at the dinner table and possesses a rather grand pocket watch.But everything gets turned upside down when they go away on an ocean liner.My children and I could not put it down and subsequently ,it has become a firm favourite in our household.A 'Must Read' for any romantic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edward Tulane, 20 May 2006
This is a book for anyone with a heart. It is the story of Edward, a china rabbit who has everything, but he fnds life boring and everyone around him ordinary. Everyone, except for himself. One day he gets lost and on his many journeys learns what it means to love.

Although this is classed as a childrens book I would urge everyone to read it. It is beautifully illustrated, and beautifully written. Although it is very sad it is also a story with a great moral. It made me cry but it also made me smile and I will definately be recommending it to others.

Simply fabulous!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful children's story, 12 Jan. 2012
S. Hodgson "Craiglea" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a Christmas gift for my 8-year old daughter and we have both been enjoying reading it together. Occasionally I read it to her but I much prefer when she reads it to me, and I only need to help her with some of the trickier words.

The writing is ideal for reading aloud and the language is lyrical and beautifully paced. The story tells of the adventures of a selfish and self-obsessed china rabbit after he is separated from his owner during a sea voyage. As he is `adopted' by various different owners he begins to learn the value of being loved, but more importantly of loving too. Despite being aimed at the younger reader, the book doesn't shirk difficult issues and even features the death of a sickly child. My daughter and I have a favourite character - Ernest Ernest, who is the king of rubbish and therefore king of the world because the world is made of rubbish!

It is one of the best children's books I have ever read and I thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best story ever, 30 May 2013
This review is from: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (Kindle Edition)
I liked this story because I thought it wasn't really adventuress but then I found out it was the best story ever
I would recommend this book to people who like adventure stories and action and sad
I would recommend it because its a very interesting story and at the begening I thought it was a baby story believe me it's not

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane