4.0 out of 5 stars What a gem!, 1 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Paperback)
"My name is India Opal-Buloni, and last summer, my daddy, the preacher sent me to the store for a box of macaroni-and-cheese, some white rice and two tomatoes, and I came back with a dog".
This book is meant to be read aloud, so clearly do you hear the voice of its young protagonist. It feels like she's come into the room with you and is pointing over your shoulder to her favourite memories in the family album. She hails from the 'deep South', her character as fine as "Anne of Green Gables" and "Pollyanna". She's a child who misses her absent mother, while her daddy is taken up with his work as the local preacher. It is up to India Opal to make her own friends in a new town.
There is pathos but also an undeniably humour, some great comic moments provided by her renegade dog, Winn-Dixie. His peculiar smile and fear of thunderstorms bewitch the heart of India Opal. Between them they herd a gaggle of illuminating characters to a very special party, given by Gloria Dump.
It's a little gem of a book, sure to make you smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Because of Winn-Dixie, 14 Dec. 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Paperback)
Because of Winn-Dixie is a brilliant book. It is about a girl whose mother left when she was three and her daddy is a preacher. She finds a dog in a shop and takes him home. But Winn-Dixie is not an ordinary dog. He is big, skinny and smelly but he also has a brilliant smile. The girl is called India Opal Buloni and has moved from Watley t o a place called Naomi, leaving all her friends behind. Now she is thinking about her mother much more. Because of Winn-Dixie Opal gets to meet some very surprising people, and makes some new friends. And without Winn-Dixie Opal wouldn't have asked her daddy about her mother. In fact nearly everything that summer happens because of Winn-Dixie. Lauren b age:8

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book so much, 30 July 2012
Izzy (9yo) for bigbooklittlebook.com

Because of Winn Dixie is mainly about a homeless dog who smiles his heart out.

Winn Dixie is found in a groceries store called Winn Dixie, in Florida. When opal finds out he's in with a chance of going to the pound, she steps in...

But this is no ordinary dog , Winn Dixie some how manages to help the lonely opal find some friends. By the end of the story the Bald Headed Babies, The preacher, the librarian and others are all drawn together because of Winn Dixie.

But one stormy night something happens which could change Opals life forever and Winn Dixie's secret is revealed...

I have read this book a thousand times and have had it read to me two thousand times by my Mummy.

Verdict:I love it so much that I even got her to take me to the Winn Dixie store on our holiday to Florida and have my photo taken outside it!

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice, 3 July 2014
This book was very nice and funny with lots of different people in it, but at the end it gets a bit sad but then it gets happier. This book explains that you don't get friends the instant you move to another town, it just takes time and the girl, India Opal has many different friends, adults and kids . The funniest bit of the book is when India Opal finds the dog in the supermarket and names him the name of the supermarket, Winn-Dixie.
This book is very nice and I really enjoyed reading it.
I hope you have fun reading too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Because of Winn-Dixie, 26 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Paperback)
In this book India-Opal Buloni gets sent to the grocery store- but comes home with a dog. Her father as the preacher, her mother has left her when she was three years old,and she just moved so she has no friends. Find out how she makes her way through her complicated life in this enchanting tale.

Review by: Anneloes ( 10 years)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 29 April 2012
Angie T.D. (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Kindle Edition)
This is not a long book, I read it in one go, its great fun, and sweet but not in a sickly way.I guess its aimed at children, but I am far from that and I loved it so I really think it can be read by any age group, this is a feel good book, and I liked the authors style of writing, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 20 Feb. 2013
This is a beautiful book which I am delighted with. The cover and picture delightful and the old fashioned paper makes this look like a much more expensive book that it actually was. I haven't read it yet (bought after seeing the film) however I know it will look stunning on my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Because of Winn-Dixie, 19 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Paperback)
Kate DiCamillo is a great Children's author and we (that is my 9 year old daughter and myself) thoroughly enjoyed reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and Because of Winn-Dixie together. We will be reading all of Kate DiCamillo's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 11 Mar. 2013
S. Freegrove (S Croydon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because of Winn-Dixie (Paperback)
Great, quick delivery, fabulous book my son loved reading this first time around and again when we re-bought it - great price, great service, great story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 23 Mar. 2014
The story is good,the film is better, as youcan ee the dog and the book conjours up a different dog. The dog in the film is the only dog for the part.

Because of Winn-Dixie