5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous
At last! A totally usable collection of recipes. Easy techniques, accessible ingredients, and no "cheffy" obscurities.

Nigel Slater is the master of Real Fast Food. In each programme of this series he presents an astonishing one week's worth of quick cooking, with three recipes for each day. Truly mouthwatering.

For example: Goat's cheese on...
Published on 24 Oct 2009 by Anonymous

3.0 out of 5 stars It didn't grab me as much as the TV programmes do!
The recipes are okay, but sometimes I get a bit disappointed
in the results. As I've only tried a few I shall have to give it more
of a chance.
Published 19 months ago by Mrs. Pearl Elston

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous, 24 Oct 2009
This review is from: Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)

For example: Goat's cheese on toast. Sounds ordinary, so how does Slater lift it? By first spreading the toast with roasted garlic (blended with olive oil) - and then dressing the plate with lettuce and a couple of slices of Parma ham.

If that doesn't make your mouth water, how about leftovers fry-up of a Friday night: cut bacon into ribbons, fry with chopped spring onions, sausages, halved boiled new potatoes and parsley; simultaneously boil up a couple of shredded cabbage leaves. Throw them into the pan, combine, and eat.

On the DVD, as with any test kitchen, the recipes are done for just one serving. Paradise for singletons or couples. No need for the conversion and waste as with normal cookbooks that usually give quantities for 4-8 people. And the recipes (including yummy vegetarian dishes), are instinctive. After each recipe there's a quick quirky view of a beautifully handwritten summary, without quantities, to informally impress on you the delights you've just seen.

Every recipe has at least one simple hint to raise the bar. Nigel Slater's abundant delight and love of food, with his supreme communications skills and charm, will attract even the most reluctant cook.

I'm off down the supermarket now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Party in a Plate, 23 April 2010
Eileen Westermann (Bremen,Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
To use Nigel Slater's own words it's just a PARTY IN A PLATE - could not find a better description of all the dishes shown on this DVD. Simple , appetizing and fun - first to watch and then to cook. Enjoyed the DVD tremendously and have already tested a few of the dishes with great success - mouthwatering , different tastes easy to put together but with professional results. Definitely recommend this DVD to anyone looking for ways to brighten up their home eating experience in a delicious , simple and fun way. The fact that he encourages you to use fresh home grown produce is just an added benefit - and yes , I'm in to that now too! Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why you should buy this series!, 1 July 2010
This review is from: Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Nigel Slater should be knighted! He does so much for the everyday cook and for the youthful adventurous cook, like me. This series shows you such simple recipes that will make your mouth simply dribble. I never thought I would ever buy a cooking series but I can't get enough of Nigel's brilliant style and elegance in front of the camera. Nigel uses staple food yet lets you decide what you like and what you want to put in. If you like watching people cook then this is for you. Buy It!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for the budding cook, 17 Aug 2011
A. Long (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I loved watching Nigel's Simple Suppers on the telly. Some of the dishes he has done have become firm favourites, there to inspire that we modified and now can't get enough of. He didn't write an accompaniment to the series, but all the recipes are available on the BBC website. I find watching him cook really inspiring. It even encouraged me to keep some herbs in our windowsill!
I mentioned we'd made modifications. The mustard sausages recipe is a little naughty with double cream in it. We swapped it for half fat creme fraiche and it is VERY tasty. Anywhere else he's used a "naughty" ingredient we've just swapped it for it's healthier friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars " A Second Helping of Nigel's Suppers "., 7 Dec 2009
Mrs. Carol E. Cowling (Plymouth, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Having watched the series on television , it was a great opportunity to re-savour the sights, sounds and enthusiasm of Nigel Slater's programmes .
I,too, love growing my own fruit and vegetables whenever slugs, snails, birds and squirrels allow ( let us not forget blight , blossom end rot and botrytis as well !)
Supermarkets may sell picture-perfect produce , but there is still a tremendous thrill in growing one's own .
Sometimes our palates become jaded and we think,"Oh ,what can I have for supper tonight ?" Nigel's stylishly streamlined kitchen and his under-stated bubbling enthusiasm for cooking is an inspiration for those of us in need of a fresh and easy
re-kindling of our cuisine .

5.0 out of 5 stars Very much recommended, 1 Mar 2010
Suzana Parreira (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Being a Nigel Slater cookbook fan for quite a while, I was a bit reluctant watching a TV show with him. What if I didn't like his way of talking or if his food didn't convince me? That would ruin the magical aura his cookbooks The Kitchen Diaries: A Year in the Kitchen or Tender: v. 1: A Cook and His Vegetable Patch had for me... So I decided to have a sneak peek at BBC's show. I'm happy to say watching Nigel cooking and sharing his garden only made it more special for me.

Simple Suppers offers 6 episodes:
1- "Making it up isn't making do";
2- "Left overs";
3- "What grows together goes together";
4- "made for each other"
5- "Opposites attract";
6- "Winter warmers".

Each episode providing recipes for Monday to Friday suppers with simple, easy suggestions like Leek Risotto with Parmesan Crisps, a Thai inspired Noodle Soup or Hot Spiced Fruit with Ice Cream. The food is gorgeous and the ideas are easy enough for a weekday evening. Nigel Slater's garden and kitchen are beautiful and very inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get your utensils ready!, 5 Mar 2010
R. Crompton (Ledbury, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
What a fabulous series Nigel has given us. The weekday supper plan is truly inspiring. Simple, wholesome, nourishing food, with just the right amount of naughtiness to perk up your sweet tooth.
Nigel has managed to create themed programmes that will transform your attitude to your home cooking whilst inspiring your creativity both in the kitchen and outside to any bit of space you can cram some fresh vegetation into. A real world, foodie dream. Thanks Nigel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Inspiring, 25 May 2010
Cooking Again (Sunderland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I ordered this DVD after catching one of the episodes on TV when channel surfing one evening. The programme literally whetted my appetite for the series and once I got the DVD it didn't let me down.

I have several of Nigel's 'food' related books but seeing the DVD moved me from being a food programme viewer/armchair cook to actually being inspired to get cooking creatively again.

I loved the tone, tenor and pace of Nigel's presentation (none of that celebrity arrogance or manic activity), the simplicity of the menus, the mouthwatering photography, the link with the garden, happy family memories and 'real' food all helped to inspire me to get creative in the kitchen once more.

A highly recommended watch for all levels of cooks, for grow your own buffs and for those armchair foodies who just want to savour slow food, in the company of a master!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigel Slater's DVD Simple Suppers, 11 Jan 2010
Julie Sparks - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Fab - really wanted a book but this is just as good if you still the frame and print the recipes and methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars great show, 11 Nov 2009
This review is from: Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
what i saw on tv i loved and i would recommend this to anyone. i just wish there was a book to accompany this series

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›