5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Nov 2010
This jacket is excellent, no other description fits!

The picture shown for the black isn't the correct jacket as it has no padding or external breast pockets, it looks like the pictures on the other colours so judge by those pictures. Craghoppers call this colour black pepper, more of a grey/black like an elephant so maybe not as black as you might think, but still dark.

I don't know if it'd hold off a monsoon as I never tried it and the deliberate shorter length may not be the best for high hill walking, but I have tried this in a few heavy downpours and the water impressively just fell off it. The hood has a peak so water doesn't go in your eyes (a really clever touch) and a drawstring and velcro adjust tab to size it to your head (brilliant)and the hood stores in the collar without being too bulky. A quick shake and all the water drops fell off and it felt totally dry to the touch, not even my waterproofs do that! No water came inside anywhere, compared to a dedicated waterproof this was really impressive to me. It has zero padding so it's not warm in itself, it is well lined so no seams on show inside. It completely stops the wind so provided you have a decent layer system underneath it's reasonable in colder weather but I don't think that's really its purpose. Ideal for on top of a shirt in warmer months, it's also breathable and works well enough to stop me overheating if I wear it in the car or climbing a hill.

It has velcro adjust on each cuff and a drawstring around the bottom to tighten it in if required to keep it snug. Pockets are fairly limited, two on the outside and one on the inside that is supposed to be a map pocket (only if the map is on an envelope but does hold a passport comfortably), the external ones are not overly deep due to the angles of the openings but all have zips for security and are adequate as in a jacket this light you wouldn't want to carry too much anyway.

It has epaulettes on the shoulders that you can open, don't really know why these are there but presume these are to keep camera/binocular case or water bottle straps from falling off shoulders (?)but I could live with or without them.

Sizing as a Large is really good for me, I normally need XL in the shoulders and only M at the waist. Many jackets are just too tight in the shoulders or too baggy in the body for me but this is a good fit with the adjustments allowing it to be more fitted. I wouldn't size up as I normally need to do.

The jacket is definitely smart enough for pub visits and it's great for general wear. Overall I'd give it 9 out of 10, I'd give it the extra point if it had an additional intenal pocket or external mobile/mp3 pocket like ski jackets have. I don't see this model on the Craghoppers site anymore so suspect it is now deleted. This is a definite shame as they don't really seem to do anything as smartly casual as this but the overall good bits and last seasons price really make this a bargain and I would buy it again without hesitation. If this sounds like the type of thing you need then I would recommend getting one before the last disappear!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lightweight jacket..., 11 Feb 2011
This is a great jacket, windproof and waterproof, my only gripe is that the hood doesn't roll away brilliantly, just rolls under a flap which doesn't keep it in very well; a small piece of velcro or popper would help.
I love Craghoppers as a brand but four stars for this++

5.0 out of 5 stars Craghoppers Jkt, 11 Feb 2012
Has stood upto some very poor weather recently and has not let me down (or let me get wet). Very happy and would make the same purchase again.

Craghoppers Bandero Jacket Dk Navy Small