5.0 out of 5 stars A startling, extraordinary and an intensely beautiful album
McAlmont & Nyman: The Glare

A marriage made in heaven. Why hasn't someone thought of this before? Is it a pop record? Is it a classical record? Actually - it's both and it's also something quite quite new. It's more than just a cross-over...it's a new genre! It's so much more than a wonderful collaboration...it's a whole new soundscape. David McAlmont's soulful...
Published on 25 Oct 2009 by it's live music

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes a bit of getting into!
I absolutely love Michael Nyman's music and would recommend him to anyone, but this album takes a bit of getting used to. I have played it a few times and it is slowly growing on me but it seems strange to have someone singing to pieces of music I know so well and have a life of their own.
Published on 30 Mar 2010 by E. M. Ashby

3.0 out of 5 stars Takes a bit of getting into!, 30 Mar 2010
E. M. Ashby - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Really works - stunning, 14 Nov 2009
M. R. Smith "rodwsmith" (côte d'azur) - See all my reviews
This review is from: McAlmont & Nyman: The Glare (Audio CD)
I wasn't actually looking forward to this album as I didn't think the combination would be as good as the sum of its parts somehow. Even the short piece on Radio 4's Front Row didn't convince me, but on listening to the record I can only wholeheartedly agree with the two reviews above, it's breathtaking and moving. The only slight lowlight for me was the song to the melody of "If" (originally from the Diary of Anne Frank) as I am so familiar with, and love, the original. Somehow it was a bit 'one song to the tune of another' but even this is growing on me (it is a very powerful tune).
This is one of those few records that you play all over again the moment it's finished, simply because you want to.

1.0 out of 5 stars truly dreadful, 21 April 2010
This review is from: McAlmont & Nyman: The Glare (Audio CD)
I'm a big fan of Nyman's earlier work, and this is just awful. How this collaboration ever seemed like a good idea to anybody is beyond me, they must have been very very drunk indeed! an unfortunate present which will shortly be up for sale.

4.0 out of 5 stars An intruiging new slant on the news, 15 Dec 2009
This review is from: McAlmont & Nyman: The Glare (Audio CD)
This is an unusual collaberation between the minimalist composer Michael Nyman and the exquisite voice of Mc Almont,where the latter was encouraged to write songs and lyrics set to some of Nyman's own existing music-('The Glare' for example is about Susan Boyle of X Factor fame). You will not hear the news told like this anyere else! The songs are entertaining,sometimes poignant,always interesting and highly expressive thanks to McAlmont's vocal range. I was present at the World Premier of this work at the Union Chapel London, and my only regret now is that I didn't buy a signed copy in the interval before the actual performance because I heard Michael Nyman saying to someone "It's very brave of you to buy it before you've heard it!"

1.0 out of 5 stars No!, 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: McAlmont & Nyman: The Glare (Audio CD)
Michael Nyman's music - the impact and the vision of the music - has steadily declined. I don't know when it actually started. Nowadays one is surprised and glad to be able to listen to experimental Nyman on "Decay Music". Nyman created many soundtracks for Greenaway movies that can rightly exist without the film. Nyman has created a most beatiful choir piece with "Out of the Ruins" - and he has written four phantastic string quartets.

But this particular record (as well as Nyman's operas) don't mean anything to me.

McAlmont & Nyman: The Glare
McAlmont & Nyman: The Glare by Michael Nyman (Audio CD - 2009)