5.0 out of 5 stars A quality engineered ball-head
Published on 19 May 2010 by SJP

3.0 out of 5 stars out and about
recently purchased the manfrotto 494RC2 for a wedding I was covering in Cardiff it was perfect for the day as the wedding and reception was at a mixture off venues locations and the normal tripod would off been too heavy.
Published on 22 Jun. 2012 by nibbs1976

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality engineered ball-head, 19 May 2010
This review is from: Manfrotto 494RC2 Ball Head with Friction Control (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
I use the 494 RC2 with a Joby Gorillapod SLR Zoom and Canon EOS 450D and whilst the 494 appears a little over-engineered for the job, it works flawlessly. The Friction Control is a real boon, allowing simple and accurate positioning without impeding smooth movement, and the lock-lever is so easy to use with the ability to rotate the lever independently of the locking mechanism so that you can align the lever to your preference. The quality of the Quick Release has also blown me away, it's cast metal and very strong, and whilst the locking safety pin takes some getting used to, in no time securely mounting and dismounting the camera becomes second nature. The 494 is a quality piece of engineering and is in my opinion definitely worth the premium over the entry-level basic ball-heads available from the likes of HAMA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 1 Feb. 2010
Mr. S. Crook (Way out west) - See all my reviews
It's small, relatively light and can be used on a range of tripods and monopods. I'm currently using it on either a Joby Gorillapod or a Monfrotto monopod. It had no problems supporting a Canon 400d and 100-400L.

The locking/friction mechanism works really well and the plate clips easily into place and locks firmly in position. A nice touch is that the lever that operates the ball lock can be repositioned (if access is awkward) by pulling it out and turning it.

On the face of it, it seems a little expensive, but the manufacturing quality probably justifies it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Know what you're buying, 7 Mar. 2012
Camera equipment is a complex and jargon-filled world for the beginner (like me) to understand. To be really satisfied, it pays to research well. I bought this piece of kit, the Manfrotto 494RC2 Ball Head with Friction Control
[...]
and was very relieved that it was what i wanted, because I had to search online to understand what RC2 meant. (it refers to the camera release plate). However, i was initially disappointed, because i bought it to swap between my monopod & my tripod. This it can do, but it is too small (hence the name mini, I now know), in diameter to fix on the Tripod with it's built-in screws. In the end, I felt it was ok, but i was annoyed that i couldn't find that out anywhere in all my research. It is an excellent ball-head, and I have discontinued my 3-way head, preferring this item for almost all my needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly sized for the Gorillapod SLR Zoom, 16 Jan. 2010
Expensive, but well built - that's Manfrotto for you. Just wanted to mention that with the 1/4" to 3/8" adapter this fits very well with the Joby Gorillapod SLR Zoom (the joining surface diameters line up closely). I considered the Joby equivalent, but the key for me was to secure the legs, any which way, and then have full (lockable) flexibility on the joint nearest the camera. This fits the bill - one star off for not having a spirit level!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good valus (if weighty) mini ball head, 13 Nov. 2011
C. Hawkes "Livefats" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've been using this ball head with the Gitzo 1541T traveller tripod. Not as good combination: the head is too heavy and a bit too bulky. However, on my larger Manfrotto Carbon set of legs this is an easy to operate head, and the quick release plate works well, as does the safety lock. No problems handling a Canon 7D with 70-300L 4-5.6 combination. And the price is good too: I'll be paying at least twice what I paid for this head to get something that fits the 1541T perfectly!

5.0 out of 5 stars rock and roll, 6 Oct. 2010
I bought this head to use with a Slik cf tripod and a Canon 40d dslr. The head is superbly machined and has a very solid action utilising two friction screws. The quick release plate holds the camera safely at any angle (not tested with long telephoto lens). Definitely recommended as part of light weight kit. It is very reasonably priced here compared to similar products by Slik and Gitzo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto Ball Head, 22 April 2012
Haven't yet had the chance to fully test this item but what I have managed has produced excellent results.

Very easy to use holds a Nikon D90 and Tamron 70 - 300 lens very steady (inside). Looking forward to geting it outside and hoping for the same excellent results.

I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit, 7 Jan. 2012
Very very pleased with this item .. I'd been using a Jessops Head on my Manfrotto 679B Monopod but I'd always thought the locking 'knob' a little bit fiddly and hard to grip so wanted to try something better. .. and here it is .. the Friction control lets you set a personal 'feel' when repositioning and the locking method is more positive .. the Jessops tightener seemed to require a couple of turns to lock whereas the Manfrotto clamps seemingly in half a turn. Added to that the quick release mechanism and I'm well satisfied.
The Head has no problem supporting my Canon 40D with 24-105mm IS L zoom, don't think I'll need to attach anything bigger in the forseeable future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick release Ball Head, 12 Feb. 2013
P. Farthing (North of England) - See all my reviews
I needed a Ball head to go with my lightweight travel tripod after reviewing those available, I chose the 494RC2. Having used the Manfrotto Quick Release system before I was able to use this head with my smallest (Panasonic GX1) and largest camera (Cannon 5DMKII) and Canon 100-400mm Lens (with Lens Mount) and lock each of them steady. so I am satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great head :-), 13 Sept. 2010
I bought this head paired with the Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod Legs.
The tripod legs are great and this head compliments it perfectly. Keeping the weight down and the functionality up. Very impressive and easy to use. The fast release is just that. Highly recommend this setup for every day use.