Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£9.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 24 June 2009
How To Be is a movie which pre-dates all the hysteria and hoopla of "Twilight" and, when taken with the rest of Rob Pattinson's body of work, gives a real indication of how versatile he is as an actor. In fact, I have yet to see him in anything which repeats or duplicates previous roles. Here he shows a deft comedic touch, playing the socially inept and emotionally isolated Art. His coldly aloof parents are so distanced from him and each other that one has to wonder how he was ever even conceived! Art battles to find his place in the world, believing that his future lies in music, despite his woeful lack of talent, and his inter-action with his two friends provides the funniest moments in the film. Desperately seeking solutions he reads a self-help book and then, much to his parents' chagrin and bemusement, blows a small inheritance on bringing the Canadian author to England to act as his personal life-guru, with limited success. As in real life, there is no neat happy ending, but the film's conclusion is, nevertheless, upbeat and positive, if only for Art. On the basis of this and Little Ashes I think it is likely that we can expect young Mr Pattinson to keep getting better - and if he keeps picking such diverse and interesting roles I believe he has a long and successful career ahead of him.
on 19 May 2009
Very amusing look at a 1/4 life crisis, well written and executed.
The funniest bit has to be when he decides to let all his pent up anger out on the tree and lampost after a last ditch attempt to bond with his mother and father.
Nice to see that the talented Robert Pattinson still isnt allowing himself to be typecast, which could have so easily happened after Harry Potter and off of the back of Twilight.
on 9 June 2009
I first went to see this movie at a screening in Leicester Squares Prince Charles cinema, where the director and some of the cast were present for a Q&A session after the film had concluded. I have to say, it's been a while since I've watched a film where so many people in the audience were laughin, almost all the way through. I totally loved it, all the performances were great, every character with their own demons, and so many tragically funny parts that are both cringe-worthy and hillarious, the "hug" scene comes to mind!! I've watched this film a few times since i've brought it, and I have to say, I enjoy it more every time. Brilliant!!
on 30 May 2009
I really liked this film. It is very short and the premise is somewhat far-fetched but all the performances were very good and Robert Pattinson was delightfully annoying as Art, the needy nerd with the awful dress sense and the ice cold parents.

What was especially lovely was the documentary of the making of the film. Rob came over in that as a really professional, dedicated musician, and it was fascinating to hear how the songs should sound compared to Art's inept versions.

The other actors were really good performers and made their characters very believable. Don't suppose this film would have ever seen the light of day were it not for Rob's sudden fame but don't let that put you off - it's a very good film.
on 28 May 2009
I bought this dvd obviously because I'm a fan of Twilight and thus Robert Pattinson, and I absolutely loved it (and not just for Rob!) I think this film really shows what a great actor Robert is; whereas in Twilight it was very much a case that no matter his acting skills he was going to be loved, in How To Be he really takes it to the next level, and manages to pull off depressed, lonely, kind of weird and funny all at once. Incredible performance.

But the film isn't just brilliant because of Rob. Co-stars Mike Pearce and Johnny White add in just enough humour to stop you feeling as sad and depressed as Rob's character Art does in the film. Johnny White especially is fantastic as the neurotic, posessive and yet ambitious Ronny (my favourite character), and his is an interesting little side story in the film.

It's a really, really good film - sad in parts, funny throughout, very well cast and well acted - and the plot is just excellent. There's also some cute special features, including some extended/alternate scenes which show the actors ad-libbing (something I always love), and a short, Making Of feature.

I'd recommend this film to ANYONE, not just fans of Robert Pattinson. Even if you aren't a fan of Twilight, give this a chance. You'll see Rob in a whole new light.

10/10, five stars, 100% amazing.
on 9 June 2009
I have watched this film endlessly since buying it and it keeps getting better and better. Robert Pattinson demonstrates what a fine young actor he is and shows a total lack of vanity and dedication to his craft. without the famously gorgeous hairstyle and cool wardrobe to distract you, his ability to utterly inhabit the pathetic but endearing lead character of Art is hugely impressive. This character starts the film at rock bottom and manages to sink even deeper during the course of the story. Only an actor of Pattinson's stature could bring this character to life in the way he does, and make the audience care so much about someone who is essentially a self-absorbed loser. If you are a fan of Robert Pattinson you have to see this film, and if you're wondering what all the hype is about, this will convince you.
on 11 June 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed the DVD How to Be. It is a quirky film about a boy who wants to be better or more normal. His girlfriend breaks up with him and he has to move home with his parents. He has a bad relationship with his parents who think songwriting and performing is not a viable career. He sends for a self-help guru from Canada who doesn't help him at all. He figures out that he is in charge of his destiny, so to speak, and he goes for the singing career. Robert Pattinson has the role down really well and Johnny White and the Pearce boy are great in supporting roles. You need to understand some English eccentricities, but it is an overall great movie. Love the pep talk at the end. I love Indie films.How To Be [DVD] [2008]
on 30 April 2009
This is absolutely brilliant.

I've seen this film at the Australian screening and it's just amazing. Robert did an awesome jov as Art the struggling 25 year old at the centre of the story. Oliver Irving is a fantastic director and I'm hoping to see more of his work.
on 30 October 2009
How To Be is a great film! While technically the plot is depressing (it's hard getting people to watch it with me because they think it sounds depressing), the feel of the film is much more upbeat. It's full of subtle comedy, emotion and a sweet sense of realism that anyone who has ever been confused in their life can relate to. You really get to attached to Art and it's a joy watching him grow and find himself.
This movie is not the type for everyone, there is no slap-stick comedy or obvious jokes, but I recommend giving it a try, you'll love it!

Note: If you live in the US, this DVD won't work in your DVD player...it isn't formatted correctly. I'm able to watch it on my computer because I can switch the DVD drive's 'world region', but I can't watch it on my TV. I recommend waiting for the US version to be released in November.

The shipping was VERY fast...it arrived in less than a week after I ordered it, from England to the West Coast in less than a week, it was great! I would recommend Amazon.co.uk to anyone!
on 6 June 2009
I thought Robert's performance as well as the other actors in this film were well played. They are very true to life, which in this film makes it quite depressing. You truly relate and feel compationate for the thes characters. I don't think much of this film in the comedic aspect, but definately a good drama.