4.0 out of 5 stars High quality internet radio

3.0 out of 5 stars So near and yet ........ read on
Published on 24 Oct 2010 by D. Dresser

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality internet radio, 22 Jan 2010
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (Electronics)
I bought this rather pricey unit after a bad experience with a cheap and cheerful internet radio, which proved to be highly unreliable and frustrating. The "out of the box" experience with this product was excellent- I had registered for a mysqueezebox account before the unit arrived, so after a quick setup, I was listening to the radio. It was also fairly easily able to set this up to stream music from the music library on my network- easy to browse by title, artist, album, year, etc. It even picks up the cover art. The colour screen looks excellent. The availability of facebook is a bit of a gimmick, but other "apps" are excellent- I especially like last.fm.

Other reviewers have pointed out that inputting text is a bit laborious; well, I'd say that its better than most. In the main, the controls are intuitive, responsive and easy to use. Also, as other reviewers mention, the sound quality is excellent- for kitchen listening, the fact that there is only one speaker is not a problem; the sound is clear & rich with a lovely bass, but not "boomy". It certainly doesnt have to strain to fill a largish room.

So, why not give it 5 stars? Well, for the price, I would have expected a remote control and I think its very cheeky to expect users to pay for a proprietary battery pack- why not use standard AA cells? The "accessory pack" (remote+battery pack) is not even available as a I write. Another irritation is that the unit does not remember preset buttons- every time you turn it off (not disconnect from power), it forgets the button presets. After some googling, I discover that this is a known fault. Maybe it will be fixed in a future firmware update.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spotify Player, 21 Mar 2011
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (Electronics)
The Squeezebox Radio, and also the Touch, now features a killer App for UK and some European users following Logitech's deal with Swedish music streaming service Spotify. I have liked the look of this Radio since it was launched but I already had a number of Internet radios so could not justify buying one - until now!

To use the Spotify App with Logitech you must have a Premium subscription with Spotify - just as using it with an iPhone - and the experience is more like with the iPhone than using your computer. However, I found the iPhone App easier to use and to be more reliable than Logitech's version. If you are familiar with the iPhone App you will soon get the hang of this one - but the lack of a keypad makes searching much more tedious with the radio.

The Logitech App is my least favourite way of accessing Spotify but it does the job reasonably well. It is prone to stopping and rebuffering from time to time - which doesn't happen using my computer or iPhone. It will not play some tracks saying unavailable in your region - even when the track plays fine on other devices. This can be really annoying if playing a playlist which then stops at a particular track which then has to be skipped manually; and if you miss the fleeting error message you have no idea why it has stopped playing!

However, when working properly Spotify sounds good on this radio and excellent when using phones - and you get the full 320 Kbps audio stream you pay for with Spotify's Premium service. There is no Line-Out jack so if you want Hi-Fi connection you should consider the Squeezebox Touch, if you just want portability and convenience then this radio will do - especially if you add the accessory pack.

The Squeezebox Radio is a product I have been very pleased with - but not as pleased as I should have been! It is annoying in the things it doesn't get right, but when it is working well it is amazing. It does many things other Internet radios / Media Centres do not do - but it is only as good as the Apps it uses.

If you are a Spotify Premium customer you need one of these players to get the full benefit of your subscription. If you do not yet have an Internet radio, or are looking to upgrade, this is one of the best - and for music streaming from your computer the Squeezebox Server is far easier to use than trying to fiddle around with Windows file shareing!

I would love to give this radio the full five stars - and maybe when the firmware / Apps are more reliable it will deserve it - but for now not quite perfect..................but very good.

3.0 out of 5 stars So near and yet ........ read on, 24 Oct 2010
D. Dresser (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (Electronics)
First, let me give you a little background. I have owned this product for a little over a year. I use it in the bedroom as a radio (do not use alarm- more later). I also have a Pure Evoke- another internet radio. The Squeezebox gives out quite a good sound for its size, although not as good as the Evoke in my opinion. I do have the extra speaker for the Evoke, and the stereo certainly helps. The sound on the Squeezebox is definitely good enough for a bed side radio. One thing a do like about the volume on the Squeezebox is you can adjust infinitesimally- the Evoke as little clicks which I found one click was either too low and the other was too high. This is why the Evoke found itself in the kitchen and not on the bedside table listening to low volume music in bed.
For users not familiar to the internet radio concept please let me explain a little more... There are basically two methods of connecting the Squeezebox to the internet. The first is the vanilla connection via your own wireless connection (or LAN cable) to one of Logitech's servers. These servers seem to based in Germany and the US. They provide the radio with the time and a list of all internet radio stations available. If these servers are unreachable your radio will not work until it re-establishes a connection with one of these servers. Also if you use this method of connection you can not use the BBC iplayer applet to listen to the previous weeks' pocasts, programs etc (big shame Logitech). The other method of using the Squeezebox is connect it a Squeezebox server that you install on your PC, laptop, server etc. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. The advantages are more functionality. The BBC iplayer and other applets now work and the Squeezebox can now access any mp3 collections you have on your laptop, PC etc. It is cool in that you can use a program like mediamonkey to associate the album cover to the mp3 tag which allows the album cover to be displayed on the Squeezebox's small LCD display. This really works well. It is quite easily to scroll through albums too via the large jog wheel on the front (this is not the volume wheel!!).
Now to the disadvantages and unfortunately they are some. How they impact you depends on what you want out of the product. If you use the Squeezebox solely as a radio and no more then you rely on the availability of those servers in Germany and the US mentioned above. In reality this means from my usage about twice a month the radio does not work due to some connectivity problems. If you use the Squeezebox via the Squeezebox application then be prepared! Read on. If this application is running all the time ie your laptop must remain on all the time then the product works fine. However I do not like to leave the laptop on all the time as it wastes energy. If you switch the laptop on and off constantly the Squeezebox Radio get confused to connect to the local laptop or to those remote German and US servers. It will serach for the laptop and if its not there it will give up. It will not switch to the remote servers. Even an "IT Crowd" switch it off and on does not necessarily fix this. There is an option deep in advanced options to switch library from one to the other, but sometimes the option is not there! Logitech if you are reading please fix this so that it will switch from one library to another automatically. This stops the product from being a "radio". My definition of a radio is you switch it on and it "works". It doesn't. I will probably get flamed by Logitech fanbois, but not all of use want to run a 24/7 dedicated server for music collections. Another problem that seems to crop up on the Squeezebox forums is the alarm. It seems many people are having problems with it. I have not used it myself, but I suggest that buyers either read up more about the problem or maybe even steer clear of it if you need a reliable alarm clock/radio.

In summary, its a good compact radio with a nice sound. The auto dim LCD display is clear and provides a lot of information including album, artist and album art. The Squeezebox will not appeal to everyone, but its probably the best of the bunch on the current generation of internet radios.

Update 15/4/11- Just noticed that there is now an official Logitech Android App which I duly downloaded. To be honest it works really well and does ALL of the functionality that the interface on the radio does. I did have a couple of homebrew Apps to do the same thing, but this official one blows them out of the water. Kudos to Logitech for supporting the App platform and they have done a really good job with it. I guess my radio is going to be very clean now as I think I will be controlling everything from my phone!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Little Radio That Could, 11 Mar 2011
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (Electronics)
This Squeezebox Radio is the "Jumbo Shrimp" of Internet radios. It does just about anything and everything you would want in a small and stylish package. I received it several days ago and I am constantly playing with it, turning it on, surfing audio services, surfing radio stations, listening to my iTunes library, carrying it from room to room as if it were a favorite child.
So many options, so little time in a day!

Pros:
1) It is affordable, especially on Amazon
2) It is a perfect size for a kitchen counter or bed side table: 5.1" x 8.7" x 5" deep, approx.
3) It connects to the Internet with Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable, whichever you prefer. One could easily use the Logitech HD Powerline 200a Starter Kit for Logitech Revue & Internet-Connected Devices (930-000131)to connect it.
4) Initial set up is extremely simple and fast.
5) It provides almost limitless access to thousands of free Internet radio stations, and online services such as Pandora (my personal favorite), Slacker Radio, Napster, SIRIUS, Rhapsody, Lastfm, and social sharing sites such as Facebook and photo sharing site Flickr.
6) It provides a connection to your MP3 or iTunes library on your computer (see Cons, below). To connect, one needs to download and install "Squeezebox Server" software from Logitech on one's computer and this software needs to be running in order to access the files.
7) There is a 2.4" color LCD screen
8) The color screen displays a clock and calendar! Take that you rotten AT&T Cordless phone!
9) It is an alarm clock
10) The sound is pretty good, all things considered.
11) It is sleek and attractive looking.
12) Software updates are automatic.
13) This radio is totally mesmerizing!
14) Did I mention that I love it?

Cons:
1) Power is supplied only by plugging it in to an electric wall outlet. An accessory kit with a battery pack and a remote control offered on Amazon costs almost as much as the radio itself!(Purchase it from Logitech directly for about fifty dollars) Having a battery pack would be an appreciated feature. This is a small and lightweight radio that can play music anywhere there is a Wi-Fi connection. It would be nice to be able to move it from room to room without having to plug and unplug it.
2) Initial set up is one touch, but one needs to download software to one's computer to activate the "My Music" feature. The provided link to this software did not work, necessitating a call to Logitech Customer Service. The good news is that Customer service picked up after 10 minutes, was based in California, and provided a working link as well as some helpful setup hints.
3) Most buttons are self explanatory but a few are not. The "More" button, for instance. Different functions are assigned to different buttons during different programs one might use. This is very confusing until one learns what to do.
4) There is a quick set up guide that comes with the radio but I found that I had to go to the Squeezebox web site and print up the full 31 page "Feature Guide" in order to fully understand all of the radios outstanding features.
5) There is no iPod dock. One connects one's MP3 player with a line-in cord (supplied).
6) One would think that connecting one's iPod would be unnecessary as downloading the Squeezebox Server software allows access to the music files on your computer. However, if your iTunes library contains songs that are DRM (digital rights management)"protected" files (purchased from the iTunes store prior to 2009) they will not play on this radio. :-(
In order to overcome this, Apple is happy to remove the DRM protection on these files, naturally for a fee. Since I have not done this, I find that only a percentage of my iTunes playlists will play on this radio when accessing them through Squeezebox Server. If I just plug my iPod in however, everything plays just fine.
7) Registering and setting up the Squeezebox radio is easy but to access and use all the available services one needs to register and set up each one, one by one. This is time consuming and repetitive. Other reviewers have commented on this, but it is highly recommended to register and set up the services on one's computer and not the Squeezebox.

This is a nifty, enjoyable music player. I plan to give it years of use. Hopefully it will.

5.0 out of 5 stars A li'l beaut, 12 Jan 2012
SpecialOrder937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
What a li'l beaut of a device this is. And it is li'l: it's incredibly compact, yet the sound that comes out of it is inordinately expansive. It's beautiful too, with a glossy black frontage and a white rounded rear.

Before I started using my Squeezebox Radio I half expected to experience irritating problems with it: difficulty setting it up, Wi-Fi connection dropping, artwork not showing, etc. Instead, I've had no problems whatsoever; it's performed flawlessly for weeks now, and the main thing I wanted to go right - the streaming of my computer-based music collection over my wireless network - has worked without a single glitch. Internet radio streaming works just as well too, plus you can download a range of apps, view photos, and change a myriad of settings to suit your own taste.

Logitech expects you to shell out for their separate Logitech Squeezebox Radio Accessory Pack if you want a dedicated remote and a rechargeable battery pack for the radio, but the remote part of it can be taken care of if you have one of their Harmony universal remotes, or via the free app you can download for iDevices and Android devices.

Look no further if you want a good-looking, compact unit for streaming Internet radio and your own music collection: the Squeezebox Radio won't leave you feeling disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Gem, 14 July 2011
Amazon Customer (Dunbar, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (Electronics)
This is a little gem. No flannel. It really is.
No problems in setting up at all. Just follow the instructions supplied. Do what it says in the book. Simples.
I read loads of reviews about this and other WiFi radios and decided (with minor reservations having read some of the other reviews about this model) that this one was the one to go for.
Absolutely no regrets. Set up and running within 15 minutes. Love the colour screen and the ease of use. And thousands of stations too.
FM? DAB? No contest whatsoever.
I use this as a bedside alarm and it is excellent. So impressed am I that I am going to get another one for the kitchen.
It is not HiFi and it's mono. But don't let this put you off. It is is quality and has a good, a very good solid sound indeed.
As a bonus, I downloaded a free app. to my android phone and now have a remote which does everything a remote for it should do.
Would I buy one for a friend? No chance. I'd keep it for myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound from a small device, 16 April 2010
John Thurgood - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (Electronics)
The Squeezebox Radio does what it claims and produces a very rich sound for it's size. We have a large kitchen / conservatory area and it easily produces enough volume and bass to fill the area and be enjoyable to listen to.

In order to have access to the music stored on your pc you will need to have Squeezebox Server running and your pc switched on. If you already use itunes it's not a problem, Squeezebox Server can even see your itunes playlists. As you add and change music in itunes you will need to tell Squeezebox Server to rescan your computer so it keeps up to date.

For those a little more serious about home media or if you don't want your Squeezebox Radio to be reliant on your pc being switched on you can add a NAS device to your network. There are loads of different brands available but you will need one that can run Squeezebox Server, I have a Qnap TS239. Alternatively, you can plug your ipod into the Squeezebox Radio, you can only do this via the 3.5mm jack plug so I very much doubt the SB Radio will act as anything more than an amp and speaker for your ipod.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product. Check your WiFi strength first. Battery is +50euro., 29 Oct 2009
M. Dowle (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (Electronics)
My previous kitchen radio died so I took opportunity to think about streaming music collection around house - something I've been meaning to do for a while.

The LCD screen makes all the difference compared to other products with squashed and limited displays. It displays album and track info neatly along with album/radio art. Its easy to setup preset radio stations, music collection etc. In fact I haven't needed to read the instruction manual. There is no need at all for FM/DAB/SD card or CDs. Its simple and easy and just what we wanted. The sound quality is excellent.

WiFi signal ... we use it in the kitchen where we hadn't used wifi before. We discovered we have weak wifi strength (less than 30%) in some parts of the kitchen. This is easy to check under the diagnosis menu on the radio. I found all of the connection/buffering problems so far were due to wifi strength (not the hardware or software) as the radio always works quickly and robustly when its next to our router which is upstairs and at the other end of the house (100% wifi strength). There is lots of information on the web about ways to boost the signal around your house and after trying the quick and free methods first, we have ordered a 'plug-in' additional WiFi point which relays the signal over the mains supply to the kitchen (Netgear WGXB102). We have a victorian terraced house with thick solid walls, and this type of house is troublesome for WiFi. If you are concerned about this possible extra cost then see if you can use another device (e.g. laptop) to check the WiFi signal in the locations you want to put the radio, before you buy. I don't mind at all and it still gets 5 stars without hesitation. *UPDATE* WiFi extender arrived and works fine. We can use the radio anywhere in the kitchen now and in the garden too.

The product is expensive but it is worth it. *UPDATE* - battery seems finally to be available (June 2010) direct from Logitech. However it is an additional 50 euro! I reduced from 5 to 3 for this reason. Its summer and we want to take it in the garden. It was already expensive and 50 euro for a battery just seems over the top.

Tip: Rather than switching on and then pressing play, you can just press play when the unit is off. The presets also work when the unit is off which is great. Just an example of user friendly it is and how much effort they put into reducing the number of button presses to do things.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Radio - Rubbish Software, 25 Jun 2010
Mr. John Connell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (Electronics)
The radio is a lovely piece of technology; having a weighty feel and nice finish it gives off an aura of quality. The display is very clear and the controls easy to use. Connecting to the internet was a little bit fiddly but once passwords were entered the sound quality was nice and rich and plenty loud enough for our kitchen. The trouble started on the second day when the radio automatically downloaded a software update, after that it would only play for 15 minutes before going into sleep mode. Furthermore, every time you switched it off it would factory reset and I would have to enter my security passwords again. I phoned the technical help line and they informed me that it must be my modem causing the problem (despite my PC, laptop, iPhone etc. still operating perfectly). I checked the Squeezebox website and on their own forum there were numerous complaints from people all suffering the same symptoms after this software update. Fed up I boxed the radio up and returned it to Amazon having only owned it for 3 days!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Squeezebox product, 12 Oct 2009
Duncan Heavisides "duncanh48" (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black (Electronics)
I'm a big fan of Logitech's Squeezebox products, so when the Radio was announced I was keen add one to my collection.

Straight out of the box the Squeezebox Radio looks well made , compact and well thought-out and after entering my network details it was quickly up and running.

Sound quality is excellent, similar to that produced by the Squeezebox Boom (although the Radio is mono), with nicely balanced treble and bass.

One of the great benefits of the Squeezebox products is their ability to play a wide variety of file formats, including FLAC and WMA Lossless, ideal for those looking to maintain a high quality digital music collection. This is where the only problem I have encountered occurred, when playing WMA Lossless files the radio has to constantly re-buffer, making listening almost impossible, FLAC files are however fine. This issue is easily resolved by logging on to the Logitech site and following the instructions to download and install LAME which limits the bit-rate at which tracks are played.

Internet radio is excellent, with very little delay experienced and really easy to use. Some of the plug-ins such as Alien BBC and BBCi Player, don't yet work with the Radio's firmware however I would imagine that this won't take long to be updated.

Overall the Squeezebox Radio is excellent and I would have no hesitation in recommending it. Any issues are only minor and as the firmware is regularly updated, should be resolved quickly.

Logitech Squeezebox Radio - Black