4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad quality as expected
Published on 2 Oct 2009 by AV1

2.0 out of 5 stars Good videos - Bad DVD quality
All the greatest videos but in a poor quality. The compresion is very high and the quality is poor. All the way, the MADONNA videos from 80s and 90s are incredible! The final work of Madonna in videos is very bad.
Published on 26 Oct 2009 by Ricardo Rafael Ruiz Cuyar

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad quality as expected, 2 Oct 2009
Firstly I expected the quality of this dvd to be bad even before I read reviews here simply due to the large amount of videos compressed to each disc. Then when I read the reviews here it would have put me off buying it as everybody seems to be critiscising the quality. However I had already purchased the item and it had already been dispatched. Too late to cancel I wondered what to expect when it would arrive...

I have to say the dvd artwork is atrocious and looks to me like a bootleg copy artwork but the videos themselves were'nt that bad. True they wasn't in pristine HD condition but they still looked pretty good to me. Maybe it was because I was expecting them to be like pirate copy quality but I was a little surprised here. Just a small amount of grain at times, nothing catastrophic.

There are 47 videos spread onto 2 discs that cover most of Madonna's 25+ year career all in chronological order. The discs have a menu screen with song selection, nothing fancy but it does the job alright. There is an insert inside with pictures from some of the videos.

Overall I thought it was a pretty good package, now if only some effort had gone into the dvd artwork...

Available in an Amaray (DVD size) case or Digi pack (CD size) case.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good videos - Bad DVD quality, 26 Oct 2009

* Celebration

4.0 out of 5 stars What happened!, 28 Sep 2009
G. Stevens "filmfiend" (london, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celebration [DVD] [2009] [NTSC] (DVD)
I'm a massive Madonna fan and of course have been waiting for this for a long, long, long time! I love the selection, theres nothing missing that can't be found on The Immaculate Collection or GHV2, with the exception of 'American Life'. Disappointed that was missing but that must have been a decision to keep this safe, and I would rather it be missing than the edited version finally used. Not sure why Miles Away' is here as it didn't perform as a single and the video is a montage live performance. So anyhooo... the selection is overall excellent. The only option would have been a 3 disc version, with everything, including some live performances i.e. 'Dress You Up'.
Now to the hard bit. Simply put, I was gutted when I watched it. Seriously, I checked the leads on my dvd player. Pixels! On a video as beautiful as 'Frozen' How can that happen. The picture quality from start to finish I can only describe as poor to fair. Q Channel has been showing M videos all week and I can honestly say they looked better. I have heard some grumblings about NTSC , transfers, single layers etc. but I am not technically minded, I am a fan, and expected the very best versions here on dvd. I don't know how this can be allowed to happen, but ultimately Madonnas team should have had this problem identified and sorted and never have allowed this to be released in this state.
I have never seen a madonna release available on Blu-ray, so even though it pains me to say it, I hope they release it on that format. So, so disappointed- I feel like I still don't really have the videos in my collection. Crazy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Celebration? ...Hardly!, 1 Oct 2009
SpoonzX "Mr Smith" (Jolly Ol' Engerland) - See all my reviews
I was really looking forward to this release.Like most fans,i had fan-made/distributed DVD's to fill in the gaps i.e. my favourite video's Justify My Love & I Want You along with other's such as Erotica,True Blue,Gambler...
I was SO excited hearing about the video's being digitally remastered & Justify My Love including unseen footage,i couldn't wait to watch it... I don't know about you, but my heart sank from the moment i switched it on (Surely Warner Bros know about the difference between PAL & NTSC?)Not to mention that the quality was VHS.I SO wish i'd kept my pirate copy now! Warner Bros & Madonna are very vocal about piracy yet they reward customers with substandard releases? We're in a digital age yet you couldn't tell by her released catalogue.That the decision to compress her video's onto single layer discs was green lit? Surely she still had some say over her back catalogue? Seeing Justify My Love censored & the beautiful I Want You a shadow of its former self disgusted me enough to switch off & i've not watched it since.So Pointless & ...Spiteful? Warner's seem determined to instigate a backlash.Such a wasted opportunity -at our expense!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Celebration, 11 Feb 2012
It has taken me 3 years to buy this DVD mainly because reviews of it have been so bad. Nearly every review I've read about this DVD has been negative, commenting that the picture quality of the videos is abysmally bad. I am writing this review to tell you that this is the best buy I've ever made on Amazon.
I love Madonna and this DVD is a true testament to her, it has nearly all of her videos and the picture quality was excellent, the earlier videos weren't perfect but they were still in amazing condition. I watched this DVD on a HD TV and the picture quality was perfect.
Don't be put off by the other reviews, you won't regret buying this DVD! I also recommend buying Madonna's Ultimate Collection DVD as then you will virtually have all of Madonna's videos.

5.0 out of 5 stars So many to enjoy!, 25 Oct 2009
This review is from: Celebration [DVD] [2009] [NTSC] (DVD)
Not sure why after including 47 videos (assuming DVD length is not the problem)Warner Bros did not go for the whole sixty eight videos - yes I know some are concert footage (Hanky Panky, Causing a Commotion, Dress You Up)or simply a monatge of clips of previous videos (Angel, Rescue Me)and yes some corkers are on previous compilations (Bedtime Stories, Nothing Really Matters, Of Father) - but what the hell - it be nice to see them anyways - esp.: Dress You Up seeing as the The Virgin Tour it is from, is still not available on DVD; This use to be my Playground, which was far more creative than just having clips from the U.S. hit comedy film it was from and the classic Solid Gold clip of Holiday!

That gripe aside - it is brilliant to have so many to view all on two disc - and old gems like Crazy For You, Into the Groove and I'll Remember are a real bonus as they have been previously unavailable! This DVD does really remind you what an inspiration her videos have been over the years and how her and Michael defined the music video for a new MTV generation - you had to have been there to remember the impact each new Madonna and MJ video had in the eighties and early ninieties before the multiple music channels diffused genre and target audience age for overall lesser impact of any one single video.

So kick back and enjoy!

Now W.B. - can we have The Virgin and Blond Ambition Tours on DVD now please?

5.0 out of 5 stars The tracklisting that should have appeared on the CD format!, 24 Sep 2009
Mr. R. S. Bell (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celebration [DVD] [2009] [NTSC] (DVD)
This is more like it. A fairly definitive list of greatest hits, not the pick and mix used for the selection of tracks on the CD/audio album

1.0 out of 5 stars NTSC & Compressed, 30 Oct 2009
I absolutely LOVE Madonna, and was over the moon to see this compilation available, I pre-ordered before release date.. so had no opportunity to see any reviews.
I find it amazing that a big US company like Warner would give a worldwide release on NTSC format, granted, if you live in the US that will be what you want, but Europe / Australasia is a massive market, and one that deserved a release in PAL. There will be one or two customers who will be unable to view this DVD due to their TV not able to play NTSC signals..I have a very new Panasonic DVD player, and got the message 'incompatible video format', I had to then go through pages of settings to change my DVD recorder into NTSC format output!.
Then there is the compression, granted, there are lots of video's on here, but have Warner never heard of Dual Layer DVD's?, virtually all retail DVD's are in 'DVD9' format, if Warner had used Dual Layer then there would have been no compression issues!
All in all, what should have been the definitive release of my favourite artist video's turned out to be the let down of the year, not due to the content or selections, they were all bang on... but let down by penny pinching by a massive worldwide conglomerate.
Here's hoping Warner realise their mistake and actually do give this a re-release in it's whole glory, and consign this abysmal let down of a rip off DVD to the penny bin, which is where it is destined for in 12 months anyhow, any self discerning Madonna fan would not want to be associated with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Madonna's (Not Quite But Near Enough) Perfect Celebration., 2 Oct 2009
L. Mueller "Sliver_Bristol" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Celebration [DVD] [2009] [NTSC] (DVD)
Okay, let's get the bad stuff out the way - this is not the 'complete' Madonna video collection. As a fan of Maddy's 'dark' period, I was dissapointed to see 'Bad Girl' and 'Fever' missing (from 'Erotica', also under-represented on the CD) ; both are excellent videos and far more memorable than 'American Pie' which does have an outing here. To be fair, both are on the GHV2 DVD so they are available elsewhere. There's no extra's either - certainly no 'unseen' footage of 'Justify My Love', as pre-release hype had led us to believe. In fact, 'Justify My Love' is slightly censored and the 'Erotica' video is the 'clean' version. I wasn't surprised as otherwise we'd have been looking at an 18 certificate and Warner Bros aren't about to limit sales of this. 'American Life', 'Nothing Really Matters' and 'Substitute For Love' are conspicuous by their absence too.

And, as has been written elsewhere, the quality is poor. Despite claims that all videos have been digitally-remastered, the older videos are grainy whilst the newer one's suffer from dreadful pixellation and 'bleeding'. If they have been digitally-remastered, then it's a hash job. Even on youtube some of the videos are crystal-clear, so there's no excuse for this.

And now to the good stuff. Watching this from start to finish is a trip. Hey folks, it's Madonna! What IS here is brilliant and reminds us of why we have all loved her for nearly (Gulp!) thirty years! She is the undisputed Queen of the music video. She simply dazzles. Here, we see every image-change, every career re-think. Every triumph and every mistake. And, as it's likely to be the most complete collection ever released, it should be purchased immediately. Just e-mail Warner Bros immediately and complain about the shoddy transfer.

Celebration [DVD] [2009] [NTSC]
Celebration [DVD] [2009] [NTSC] by Madonna (DVD - 2009)
14.62