This is a small (about 17cm wide by 13 high) music-only network streamer. It features a sensitive and bright 4.3" touchscreen and a remote control made of glossy black plastic with a rubberised matt front surface.

Setting it up:
Published on 31 May 2010 by mark0000

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT like a radio
I had my Squeezebox for Christmas (though I bought it...), so have now used it for over 2 months. This is my experience.

Published on 4 Mar. 2011 by J. Jarvis

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly musical at a great price - now the best audio streamer!, 31 May 2010

Setting it up:
I found that, as with all squeezebox products, it will work wonderfully BUT you need some preparation in advance. Specifically, you'll need your network ID and password (to grant access to the squeezebox), and it would be a really good idea to go to the Logitech website and download the Squeezebox Server (compatible with XP, Vista, W7 and Mac OSX). Finally, you should register at Logitech's 'my Squeezebox' page - but to do so, you'll need any passwords you already have from free streaming radio networks such as Live 365, Last FM, Pandora (if outside the UK), Sky FM etc. Once you've done all that, you'll find that the Squeezebox connects to any 802.11 b/g/n wireless network or via wired Ethernet - if your network doesn't broadcast your SSID then you'll need to key it in manually, but for most people it should be automatic. I tried Norton and McAfee firewalls and both allowed a setup with no quibbles.
Analogue audio outputs include a standard 3.5mm headphone jack and red-and-white RCA connections. Digital audio is output through optical and digital Toslink connectors. You can even attach a hard drive directly to the USB port on the rear of the unit. Of course, as the Squeezebox has no amplifier, you'll need an amp and speakers (or active (powered) speakers) or headphones to listen with!

Using it:
Sound quality is excellent - and wonderful for the price - with many audiphile websites commenting that the Squeezebox can output perfect digital audio at 16/44.1, 24/88.2 and 24/96 kHz. I used coaxial digital through my own amp and speakers and can confirm the sound was better than the Squeezebox 3 (Classic) and much better than the Squeezebox Duet. As always, you can either stream your entire music library from your PC using Squeezebox Server (downloaded in the step above) OR you can leave the PC switched off amd use My Squeezebox - a direct web connection made by your Squeezebox to Ligitech's servers through your router. Internet radio seems to be powered by Radio Time, giving most local and national UK and many hundreds of international ones. If you registered - as above - with Live 365, Sky FM, Last FM etc., then you can use these as well (Squeezebox calls them 'Apps'). There's a BBC iPlayer app (audio only) as well, so you can listen to live and past BBC radio programmes shown over a rolling 7-day period.

Issues:
The viewing angle won't suit everyone - it's been designed to be seen from above - and the web offers a variety of Heath-Robinson solutions. I put two black lego bricks under the back and changed the angle of the display from 45-degrees to about 85 degrees, which improved it greatly (and can't be seen).
The screen is bright, but by default is set up to auto-dim according to ambient light. I hated this. You can change it in the 'advanced' menus.
Text size changes immediately accoring to whether you are using it by touch or by remote. Very sensible, but it took me a moment to figure out what had happened (larger text being more visible at a distance BUT with less info on screen).
The default wallpaper (the green stripy one) conspires with the viewing angle and brightness to make it unreadable from more than a metre or so. You CAN make this much better - changing the wallpaper to a black one and adjusting the viewing angle (as above) improved it for me, and I can now sit on my sofa and see everything clearly from about 2.5 metres away.

Overall:
Take the time to set this up properly.
Get the angles and wallpapers right for you
...then enjoy excellent sound quality and a responsive interface.
It's a great product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device, great sound, a few flaws, 31 May 2010
Mr. T. Anderson "onlyconnect" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Electronics)
The Squeezebox Touch is the latest in a series of network music players from Logitech. It is part of a system, which involves your music files (which can be shared with iTunes or another media player), some server software called Squeezebox Server which will run on any PC, Mac, laptop, or on most NAS devices, and one or more players connected on a wired or wireless network.

The Squeezebox Touch is essentially a player. It has audio outputs (phono or digital) which connect to your stereo. You then connect it to the Squeezebox Server over a home network, usually wi-fi. Once set up, you can choose what to play by touching the colour display, or by using the supplied remote. The user interface uses a menu system, and is fairly easy to navigate once you get used to it, though performing a search can be a little laborious. It doesn't matter too much because of the playlist system, which lets you select what you want to play in advance, so you get uninterrupted music. In addition there is a headphone socket which you can also use to connect directly to powered speakers.

That's the basics; but there is a lot more to say. The Touch can also act as its own server, if you connect a USB drive directly. Unfortunately this does not work very well with larger music libraries - though what "larger" means seems to vary for different users, and the situation seems to be improving as the firmware gets updated. Less than 1000 tracks should be fine; more than 30,000 or so will likely not work well, with lags and crashes galore; in between is a matter of chance. Try before you buy if you want to use this feature.

Fortunately there lots of other configurations. Many NAS devices - networked hard drives - will run Squeezebox Server directly. You can also connect to a Squeezebox server on the internet, for Internet radio, tracks from Napster (subscription required) or other streaming services, and some extras. Performance was great with these servers.

Squeezebox Touch can also work as a clock, or a digital photo frame, or other uses depending on what plugins and apps you install. The Flickr app is great - display random or tagged photos from Flickr while your music plays. Internet Radio works really well, and most stations ranging from the BBC to niche music stations seem to be covered.

I love the Squeezebox system. The best thing about it is that it is multi-room: you can have many players on your network, all connected to the same library, but playing different things. Enjoy your classical music in the living room while another family member rocks out upstairs, for example. The system is very flexible, and you can control the players any number of ways. Navigating to the server with a web browser lets you manage your library and players (though this does not work with the server built into the Touch). There is also a SqueezePlay app you can run on a PC that lets you control any player including the Touch; or you can control other players from the Touch itself.

The Squeezebox team seems to care about sound quality, which is impeccable whether using the digital or phono outputs. The Touch has higher quality than previous players (other than the much more expensive Transporter), and supports up to 24/96 digital with bit-perfect performance.

That said, there are a few flaws with the system, along with the direct-connected USB drive problem already mentioned. One is simple: why do you want a touch-controlled player, when you are sitting 12 feet away? I found myself using the remote more often. You can also get an iPhone app, or use one of the other methods. Another snag is that the display is not that easy to see from a distance, even though it automatically uses a large type size when controlled with the remote.

My final complaint is that the system can be tricky to set up, and the skimpy supplied manual is not up to the job. There's a better one you can download from Logitech. Squeezebox Server is good, free software, but does not handle tasks like ripping CDs or finding cover artwork.

It is worth getting it working though, because the system is outstanding once up and running, though you are paying a bit of a premium for the excellent sound and the flexibility of the system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique product - sadly discontinued by Logitech!, 9 Oct. 2012
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Electronics)
The Logitech Squeezebox Touch is a unique product, much loved by its users and the Hi-Fi press alike - just check the awards displayed in the section above! But for reasons best known only to themselves Logitech have discontinued the Squeezebox platform just to replace it with the much inferior UE "Ultimate Ears" range of products. The two systems are incompatible and although a successor to the Squeezebox Radio has been produced the wonderful Touch has no current replacement.

You CAN stream local files without an Internet connection by using a computer with the Squeezebox software installed, and that functionality should continue for as long as the player works. However, services such as Spotify and Napster - even Internet Radio - are dependent on Logitech maintaining their mysqueezebox.com internet portal and when that is finally closed down the Touch will just become a local files player only.

I will unreservedly give the Squeezebox Touch five stars in its current form, but before you part with your hard earned cash for an obsolescent product you need to consider just how long Logitech are likely to keep the service running for. Check out "An open letter to Squeezebox fans" from Ariel Fischer on blog.logitech to keep update with the company's plans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeezebox is a breeze, 15 May 2010
Mr. D. Carr "Wavydavey" (Tyne and Wear, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Electronics)
The Logitech Squeezebox Touch is my third attempt at streaming music from my PC. The first two had only limited success, with poor displays and a limit on the size of the music library. Enter the Squeezebox Touch - simple to set up, great display (very iPod-esque) and the server software handles large volumes with ease. Streaming radio is available - including stations you've actually heard of, and an App facility gives free access to stored content - similar to a podcast. There's even a remote control facility to oprtate the kit from the PC (as well as a "real" handset. The display is really good as well - it utilises album art for streamed music as well as an excellent visual display when playing internet radio. Well done Logitech - a great product.Logitech Squeezebox Touch

Dave Carr, Tyne and Wear

5.0 out of 5 stars A good little thing to have!!, 24 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Electronics)
This is a nice little bit of kit. As the other reviewers have mentioned you need to load everything on, in terms of software, before you start. But frankly the machine does it for you, in a sense. When I powered it up and allowed it wireless access to my modem it immediately upgraded the relevant software. I then downloaded the Squeezebox software from the Logitech website and once that was done the little machine was communicating with the PC, accessed my music library (it will also update if you have added to the library) and given that we were having guests in that day, I was set up in about 30 minutes to provide many hours of hi-fidelity music streamed from my PC with no glitches or dropouts at all.

One might complain that you have to have your computer on, but that is how it is meant to be used, and frankly I would not need a more expensive streamer- in any case you can connect to any hi-fi device in the house. This might be one disdvantage but you can access iTunes/ Napster etc, or load music onto an external memory card and play it. There are no CDs to load software from, which is not inconvenient at all. The device comes with all relevant connections and a nice little remote, and is overall finished very nicely. The buttons are responsive; keep in mind the volume changes are in very small increments. There is no obvious button for track change, as I found out, but a short sharp press on the Fast Forward button does that job for you, and so on.

Furthermore it will also double as an easy-to-read clock and also a digitial photoframe. A real plus to me is the fact that now that we buy fewer CDs, you can plug this into the CD player/system and retrieve it from its redundant state! I have a lovely Denon micro system with little use for the CD player and I can now enjoy its crisp, precise sound all over again- something for this throwaway world we live in. And of course, once you register the product with Logitech, they may give you a discount voucher for their other products, some of which are excellent, as I can vouch.

It certainly had my guests talking- if not fiddling around with it- and I think they will buying their own!!

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT like a radio, 4 Mar. 2011
J. Jarvis "jjarvis1959" (Burton on Trent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Electronics)

I had considered getting a DAB radio for my hifi, but as the reception is poor where I live, a DAB aerial would need to be installed on my roof. A Squeezebox seemed like a good alternative - in fact a far superior alternative with BBC iPlayer for radio programmes, LastFM, countless radio stations from around the world plus the ability to play music off my laptop.

When it works, it's great - in fact it's superb. I can do all the above- my favourite is LastFM tags - set up playing say, "female vocalist" tag (there are lots of others) and leave it playing all day an interesting mix of music. It's a great way of discovering new artists.

BUT. And this is a big BUT, a huge, enormous, mega-sized BUT. The Squeezebox is NOT like a radio. I expected to always be able to simply switch it on and listen - just like with my tuner. I first realised this isn't the case when I once turned it on and it insisted on doing a software update, no option to listen to Radio 4 and delay it. So 20 minutes of download, updating and PC-type palaver. However, this isn't the worst aspect. Often, for days at a time I turn it on and get error message "Service has been interrupted by host - then a scribbled text with squeezebox.com in the middle of it". I try to connect to my laptop, control it from my laptop, faff around ... mo luck. Suddenly it will work again. Then it won't. It is EXTREMELY frustrating, and the help is useless - I hate being directed to a blog help site - I want real help from Logitech. I often simply turn on my tuner with half a dozen channels as I can't bear the struggle to get it to work. It currently plays 2 seconds of LastFM tracks then moves on to the next, I have no idea why, and I've paid £3 for a month's access to extra LastFM functionality. So my advice is - expect trouble.

I'm on the verge of returning it as not fit for purpose.

I consider myself computer literate - don't buy one for anyone who isn't, and possibly only buying one for a real tech nerd who likes the constant IT challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, clever device and great sound, 17 Jan. 2012
AGH (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Electronics)
Other reviewers seem to have had trouble using some sources of music files such as USB drives plugged directly into this Squeezebox so I though I had better described how I have set it up.
First you need to accept this is not a plug it in, switch it on and off you go product. Some set up is required which is reasonably straight forward so long as you are comfortable with technical tasks such as connecting smartphones to your home Wi-Fi network, downloading and installing sofware from the internet on a PC, Mac or Linux PC.

Before buying the squeezebox touch I already had a PC running Windows XP with our whole music collection either ripped from CD or purchased as MP3 downloads. All the music files are in MP3 format most at maximum 192kbps bit rate. The computer is on a home network with wireless (Wi-Fi) router.

First switching on the squeezebox and there are a few simple set up steps and then you get the option to connect to a wireless network. This process is no different from joining a smartphone, tablet computer (e.g. iPad) or laptop computer to a wireless network. Straight after that it may want to download a software update which takes a few minutes, best to allow this to proceed.
You'll then need to create a user account at [...] where you'll get access to internet radio and "apps" for accessing other online content. At this web site you can also download the Logitech Media Server software which you need to install on the and configure with the folder locations of your music files. It is worth configuring the folder location of any pictures/photos. You also get the option of configuring URLs for any photos you have online and there is a special app for access Flickr. Why do that? So you can take advantage of the poorly advertised and largely undocumented capability of using the Squeezebox Touch as a digital photo frame for playing slideshows of your photos. This can be done while simultaneously playing music.
Once this is done and the Logitech Media Server has had enough time to scan the folders you set up and build it's database of music and pictures you are ready to go.
The sound quality is very good indeed and that is just playing it through a pair of powered computer speakers from the headphone jack on the Squeezebox. A compact enough set up to have in the bedroom, the PC storing all the music files is elsewhere in the house.

The remote control is useful but you can't be far away from the squeezebox screen otherwise you can't see what is going on.
Logitech will sell you a remote control with a small colour LCD screen but anyone with a Windows Phone 7, iPhone or Android phone has another much better option..... there's an app for that. Have a search on the App store (Windows Phone 7 users look to the "Marketplace") and get yourself the app for turning your smartphone into a remote control for the squeezebox.
I'm using squeezeremote from 7Illusions on a Windows Phone 7. I can be anywhere in the house where there is Wi-Fi reception and the phone talks to the Logitech Media Server sofware installed on the PC giving you a comprehensive display of squeezebox functions and also displays album art. You now have full control of what the squeezebox is doing and it doesn't have to be in sight to do it.
There is an alarm clock function on the squeezebox, but between having to leave speakers on all night and being dependant on an operational wireless network to be woken in the morning I've decided I won't be parting with my dependable Roberts DAB radio alarm clock anytime soon.

In this arrangement it is all faultless and most impressive so I am giving it 5 stars. I can appreciate why some mark it 4 stars. Any lower marks than that can perhaps be explained by older versions of the squeezebox sofwtare not being as good as it is now, people with unrealistic expectations as to the ease of set up for something like this or an intended use different from mine.
If my mother got one I'd have to help her set it up. For an IT professional like me it's quite easy.
For everyone else, you have to accept that something this feature rich and smart takes a bit of patience to get up and running but you don't have to be a technical expert to get there.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly for some, the squeezebox touch obtained instant wife acceptance factor ;)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for modern home audiophile listening, but avoid the loose toslink connector., 28 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Electronics)
I can only echo all the positive reviews that have gone before about this product. The squeezebox touch is not only capable of producing detailed audiophile quality sound; it is also easy to use and simple to set up. It is not without niggles (like any other computer product out there) and in 1.5 weeks of use I have encountered two. These are:

1. Avoid using the optical toslink connector. The optical toslink connector on the back of the unit is a deceptively loose and shallow fit. All other toslink connectors I have used have a symmetrical hole and give a satisfying 'click' when the cable is inserted. The toslink connector on the back of the squeezebox touch is asymmetrical and the toslink cable only inserts half way and doesnt 'click'. Don't do what I did and try to get the 'click' by pushing harder and harder - the click will never happen, trust me. Even though the sound through the optical connector was great (yes, it did work) the fit for the cable is so loose I found it difficult to align the connection in one exact place (which cant help audio quality), and simply picking up the squeezebox meant the connection fell out... There are no special optical adapters that come with the box and googling for 'loose toslink connector' gives rise to talk of jitter problems and so forth on many pieces of equipment, not just the squeezebox touch. So, in short, use the digital coaxial connection if you want digital output from the touch. The sound through the coaxial connection is no different than the optical. Well, ok, maybe slightly warmer and less bright, but that could be me, or other components in my system, as the 'difference' is minute at best and after 10 minutes I stopped bothering to look for any differences and began to enjoy the awesome sound.

2. AAC playback for bbc radio stations is not working properly at the time of writing. You do have an option to change to WMA format, although it is a little difficult to find, but this fixes the (otherwise immense) radio capabilities of this device.

If it wasnt for the above toslink problems this device would have got 5 stars (and more).

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeezebox touch : good, not cheap, but alternatives aren't either, 21 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Electronics)
So the squeezebox touch is my first taste of internet-connected touchscreen stuff.

It's great to have all my music (or all that I've ripped from cd so far) available at the same time. No need to work out if the cd is upstairs or downstairs, go and get it, wait for the blu-ray to open, shut and think about it. It's easy to select between albums etc. It's nice to have the touchscreen and a remote.

Easy to set up. Annoyed at first that it seems it MUST have an internet connection at least once before it will play anything. (Unless there's a way to skip set-up - I couldn't find one). But I put in my wpa2 wifi password and it connected fine, updated it's firmware, and is happily playing stuff from an 8gb sdhc card in a usb reader plugged in the back. I've got an optical lead going into a home cinema amp which seems to work fine.

£200 seemed a lot, but I like (love?) the convenience, and alternatives from Sonos, Naim (?) etc. are quite a bit more I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music Come true!, 7 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Electronics)
Only had the item a few days, using with Qnap Nas + squeezebox server / 100's itunes ripped CD's plus NAPSTER account. This is the easiest most useful piece of kit I have bought for a long time, the interface and logic of the menus etc is excellent, it works on wireless or LAN without any issues. The Server software on the NAS is also very easy to understand and setup. I have installed ipeng on a itouch / iphone and this is then used as the perfect touch screen remote all around the house. The link into Napster (FREE 1 Month trial) is superb, offering simple search on millions of Napster tracks and live streaming - again the sound quality is excellent. The internet Radio - again, so many many radio stations available free and easily selectable from the menus. Playlists, Favourites, Artwork dipslay etc it's all very very good. Highly recommended.

Logitech Squeezebox Touch