4.7 out of 5 stars1,094
Format: CameraChange

on 27 December 2012
These are excellent filters at excellent prices. Such is their reputation and popularity, they have become prime targets for counterfeiters.

I have bought a number of these filters and was recently sold a fake through a marketplace dealer (not Amazon). I will not attempt to guess at what stage it entered the supply chain. However I will pass on my own observations in the hope it may help others:

1. Poor quality - despite being sealed in its packaging, the filter looked unclean and of inferior quality compared to my other Hoya filters.
2. The print size on the packaging was different to other Hoya filters I own. Not conclusive I know as the manufacturer may well change the packaging appearance slightly, but notable all the same.
3. Scanning the bar code using Google shopper app on the phone produced a different product description i.e. scanned a 68mm filter rather than 37mm. This is documented elsewhere on the internet.

I have since bought a replacement filter from a known photographic dealer.
on 7 December 2011
I received this item well packed and very fast delivery. Can't ask for much more and the product is what it is the best filter for lens protection. The only downside to using UV filters for lens protection is that if you do smash the filter depending on the angle and nature of the impact the UV filter can shatter and cause scratching to the lens. The glass used is not shatter proof so beware! It was quite time consuming and difficult to get all the small fragments of glass that get trapped in the mechanism removed. I still think this is a risk worth taking as the filter ring acted as a sacrificial corner protection to my lens. So I am replacing my recently smashed filter and the scratches don't seem to be affecting the quality of my images just yet but would be nice not have them....
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2013
As with other reviewers, I have been convinced to use simple UV filters as protection for my lenses. I have a 52mm and 58mm, both the UV(C) type.

This has a slim metal bezel, and hard multi-coated glass, and is well manufactured. It fits nicely on my 50mm lens, and offers a degree of dust and dirt protection, without noticeably affecting the quality of my images. Lots of commentary on the web as to why the UV aspect is probably redundant (UV light doesn't have the same effect on digital sensors as it does on film), but I find the filter works as a lens protector when out and about so I don't need my lens cap all the time and am ready to capture the moment.

It is a personal choice as to whether to use a UV filter, some may argue that you're introducing an extra piece of glass between the sensor and what you're imaging, and that if it was really that helpful it would have been built into the lens in the first place.
on 30 August 2013
Arrived VERY fast; ordered evening and arrived the next morning, well done amazon :-)

This is the 'basic' end of the Hoya range. There are pages and pages of photographic reviews, and too be honest I would expect the far more expensive ones to perform better, however, as an excellent quality 'lens protector' and UV filter this one is very good.

I have not noticed any light flare or lens aberration, so one would assume this is how well it mounts to the lens (the lens design) it works very well on my Sony Lenses without any issues.
Much thinner than some alternatives, so the lens cap etc still fits.
With the High Quality HOYA brand, it is easily worth just a few pounds more than any other cheaper filter rubbish.

*TIP* be aware there are LOTS of fake ones out there; this one is genuine; sold, and fulfilled, by AMAZON direct so worth the assurance.

I WOULD recommend this filter.
on 6 December 2009
This filter is good, well built and it appears to do its job (protecting the lens)

Pros:
1) Relativly inexpensive
2) Well built.
3) The Hoya web site says this filter has greater than 97% light transmission.
4) Multi coated.

Cons:
None that I can think of.

I will over time be replacing all my lens protection filters with the HMC version as these are a good compromise (cost against quality) between the standard and super HMC filters.

I have not experienced any real problems with his filter but would advise purchasing a thinner filter for wide angle lenses in the long run it's worth the extra cash.
22 comments13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2013
This filter was purchased to replace a similar one that had begone to delaminate around the edges. Although not affecting picture quality, once the fault manifest itself it would only get worse hence the purchase of a replacement.

I consider a filter as very important as the replacement of a lens due to foreign objects damaging the lens optics is far more expensive than simply replacing a filter.

As a filter, this Hoya 67mm UV(C) Digital HMC Screw-In Filter does all that I ask of it and I would heartily recommend that purchasers give it serious consideration.

As to the retailer, no qualms at all about recommending them as the filter arrived before the specified date in a sealed manufacturers container that was in a padded envelope.

Why only 4*?

Ater my experience with its' predecessor I shall defer my final judgement until I have used it for a year or so.
on 11 September 2013
On the recommendation that these UV filters were, if nothing else, a great way to protect your lens, I purchased the Hoya 37mm UV(C) filter for my new Olympus PEN E-PL3.

These are my thoughts:

1) At first I thought there was no glass in the disc because it was so clear. Impressed!
2) It fitted the thread perfectly on my M.Zuiko lens. It did not stick or cross-thread. Beautiful engineering!
3) When I took a sample photograph of the sky and garden, I am sure the colours were more natural and the definition slightly better with the filter attached.

Whether you think a UV filter is necessary or not, I have to say that Hoya made a good impression on me with this first example of their products. I will definitely put my trust in buying their filters again if I need another. What more can I say? Quality.
on 3 December 2015
Having finally made the decision to commit to purchasing my first camera, I was encouraged to purchase one of these by a rather earnest Currys PC World employee who attempted to upsell every camera related item possible. He assured me that this filter would protect my expensive lens from damage and given the costs of replacing a lens, I was keen to get the necessary protection. Of course I ran a quick price check and saw that it was a lot more pricier instore so I opted for Amazon. I can't add more to the existing reviews here- the product arrived very quickly and it was very straight forward to screw it into my camera (Nikkon D33000 18-55mm lens) and does not obstruct the lens at all. I used a quick wipe to remove any dust and popped it onto my lens. Great value and hopefully protects my lens!
on 7 May 2014
You never really know if a filter is worth it. On one had, yes it can protect your lens from dirt and general scratches and it makes it easier to clean the front element of course.

But...does it degrade image quality and allow less light in? What happens if the filter glass is cracked, does it then scratch the very lens element you were trying to protect?!

Still, that aside I am a filter user and this Hoya is very well made. No rattles from the glass and the screw thread is perfect. I haven't noticed any degradation in the image quality. There may be some, there may not, either way it would be small.

I have used Kood previously but I am more impressed with the build quality of this Hoya so would purchase this brand in the future.
on 8 May 2014
I wasn't sure if I needed a UV filter after reading the reviews but decided to try it out. I haven't notice a lot f difference with picture quality as yet but as someone pointed out one good reason for buying and using is to protect that expensive lens you have. It certainly saved mine. I was shooting bluebells with camera on tripod. I turned away for a second when the tripod fell over into luckily, grass. However on checking camera later found small scratch on UV filter I had fitted. If I didn't have my UV Filter attached no doubt my lens would have been scratched. I have therefore learned my lesson and although only a small scratch I can at least take it off for special photo's. No harm done to camera lens, therefore a small but worthwhile expense.