5.0 out of 5 stars Great product
Published on 1 Dec. 2010 by PMG

1.0 out of 5 stars I am fairly certain mine was a dud or a fake
In my "unreviewed items" this purchase is showing as made by Hoya, sold and fulfilled by Amazon.

Published 23 months ago by Johnny Whitechapel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 1 Dec. 2010
PMG (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great price, great product, Hoya is a long standing name and their products are superb in quality, - do not be fooled into buying so called top of the range products and paying through the nose for them, - in something as simple as this, I defy the so called 'experts' to tell the difference between this product and one costing several times more!!! - a £5000 bet is open to anyone who wants to take up the challenge!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens protector, 19 May 2013
Having used this make of filter 30 years before I was pleased to see it still available. The product is well made and a good fit. Delivery was prompt as expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at an excellent price, 5 Oct. 2011
David P (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Hoya filters are excellent, and if you go to their website, you will find that the HMC (Hoya Multi Coated) series are a step up from the "standard" range. It is very easy to pay more than this for a standard filter, so shop around for the HMC level, which reduces the reflection given by the glass.

The visual effect given by a UV filter is very subtle but still clearly visible, especially in sunny landscape shots. They certainly never seem to have an adverse effect, and so are ideal to leave on a lens permanently as a means of protection. If you want to really visibly enhance your outdoor shots, go for a polarising filter, which can be fitted on top of this if you want to, although this might lead to some vignetting on wide angle shots due to the combined length of the rings.

Overall, excellent and convenient lens protection at a very reasonable price.

1.0 out of 5 stars I am fairly certain mine was a dud or a fake, 3 Jun. 2013

I am fairly certain that mine bought via Amazon, was fulfilled by Amazon but sold by a seller. I have this filter in 58mm, 72mm & 77mm versions and they are fine. This one though I am certain is a dud or a fake. The green reflections even in broad daylight are shocking. Sadly I was in South America at the time and had it delivered to a friend, by the time it had got back to me, it was more than 30 days after my purchase and Amazon wasn't really interested in my objections.

I went back to Amazon to purchase 52mm and another 58mm B+W UV filter.

Buyer beware when buying filters online, check them in different lighting conditions, Hoya UV(C) filters should not have green flares on the images

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoya 52mm filter, 10 Feb. 2014
Mr. Gordon Downie (Stoke-on-Trent, England) - See all my reviews
Bought this to protect my Nikon lens (just in case) as some years ago I ruined an expensive lens with an inadvertent scratch. Cheaper to replace a filter than a lens anytime. Good little unit and does not seem to have affected the lens performance adversely. Good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars good product. reasonably priced., 12 Jun. 2012
J. Y. Chen "jVc" (uk) - See all my reviews
for the price, this is a quality product. bought for my canon 24-105mm lens. and have not taken it off since.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great filter!, 6 Dec. 2009
M. Witherington "Gadget Freak" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This filter is good, well built and it appears to do its job (protecting the lens)

Pros:
1) Relativly inexpensive
2) Well built.
3) The Hoya web site says this filter has greater than 97% light transmission.
4) Multi coated.

Cons:
None that I can think of.

I will over time be replacing all my lens protection filters with the HMC version as these are a good compromise (cost against quality) between the standard and super HMC filters.

I have not experienced any real problems with his filter but would advise purchasing a thinner filter for wide angle lenses in the long run it's worth the extra cash.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoya UV Filter - 67mm, 6 April 2010
Bald Kiwi (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this filter to protect the front element of a new 17-85mm lens on my Canon Eos 500D digital camera. I have used Hoya filters throughout my photographic career which spans 40 years and have always been happy with optical quality, and this example follows the trend. However, when I reviewed my photos later on the computer screen I noted there was some vignetting at the 17mm wide angle end of the zoom range. This was not visible in the camera viewfinder. Clearly, this issue would affect any filter fitted to the front of wide angle lenses, especially deeper ones like polarisers, or if you wish to stack more than one filter. Buying "slimline" filters may reduce the problem. Naturally this annoyed me initially until I realised that I composed my shots in the viewfinder and this only shows 95% of the sensor image. A quick crop to remove the outer edge in an image editing program removed the visible vignetting and gave me the original picture I'd photographed. Doing away with the filter is not an option, and I'll put up with the inconvenience rather than risk scratching the front element of a very useful £500 lens!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great filter!, 20 Oct. 2009
M. Witherington "Gadget Freak" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews

Pros:
1) Relativly inexpensive
2) Well built.
3) The Hoya web site says this filter has greater than 97% light transmission.
4) Multi coated.

Cons:
None that I can think of.

4.0 out of 5 stars From this manufacturer it should be optically good, and this would appear to be the case, 3 Oct. 2014
From this manufacturer it should be optically good, and this would appear to be the case. The mount is very matt black and screws into the filter thread of my Canon EFs 17-85 easily and smoothly. Despite what all UV filter manufacturers say, it has absolutely no effect whatsoever on the clarity of photographs, but they never have, even in the days of film. You buy this to keep finger marks etc off of the front elements of lenses. The alternative is to use a lens hood. However, these add bulk, need fitting when you get the lens out of the bag and don't generally do much as a lens shade.