5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sat Nav!
I bought this Sat Nav recently and have been extremely pleased with it! It is quick, no glitches and re-routes without problem. I like the way the cradle is built in and feels very secure stuck to the windscreen. I also like how it knows the speed limit of every road I'm on. I find this very handy on the country and village roads without speed signs.

The...
Published on 7 Mar 2010 by Lela

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic A-B without whistles and bells
Published on 24 Oct 2010 by Wayne Mattison

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sat Nav!, 7 Mar 2010
This review is from: TomTom Start 3.5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps (Electronics)

The only minor problem I can find is there is no LED on the device to let me know that it's charging or when it has finished charging. This didn't stop me giving the product 5 stars. Excellent value for money and I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very reliable first satnav, 3 Jan 2010
I am a first time user and wanted a simple to use but reliable unit and decided to go for this one. Brought it from my local store, opened it and used it to take me to unknown address 20 miles away. Was so easy to use without looking at any instructions and was so acurate. Very quick to re-direct when you take a turning too early (as I did when 2 junctions were very close together)and soon got me back on track within a couple of seconds. I don't mind motorway driving so other comments have not put me off along with the fact you can ask for alternitive routes. Liked the fact I can download updated info and buy a homer voice if I ever desired! Love the fact you are not stuck with one voice and think Irish Sean is very calming to take instruction from lol.
I did buy a cheaper brand a few days before but had no web back up and couldn't even direct me properly from my moms which is 2 miles away along with the fact that every bend in the road I was told to turn left etc. Somethings you buy you are just better going for a decent brand and having a reliable product then saving 20 and ending up spending that plus more on petrol and patience. Very happy with my first decent sat nav and will only buy Tomtom in the future!

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic A-B without whistles and bells, 24 Oct 2010
Having been the unlucky victim of crime when my original TomTom one was stolen from my works van (serves me right for leaving it in there I suppose)I had to buy a new sat nav. As said above I already owned a TomTom one so I was familiar with them and so far they had never let me down so I decided on another Tomtom but this time the TomTom start. Once it arrived I eagerly unpacked it and took it out for a spin. Everything worked well but some of the features of the "one" ware missing most notably the ability to turn up the sound on the unit. I am no rocker but I do like the radio on when travelling along but the lack of a volume button soon put paid to that as I struggled to hear the TomTom properly, that said it may just be me going a little mutt & jeff but it just didn't have the oomph to punch above the music at moderate levels so for me a mark down straight away.
The new built in screen sucker is a welcome addition as it is intergrated so the unit is easier to store and the new design worked well. Built in speed camera alerts worked great and detected everyone I approached but again the ability to change the notification sound is a bit of a minus, albeit the one chosen by tomtom is less intrusive than my last unit so a bit less of a problem. Tomtom maps are great and have never put me wrong and on this unit map share is standard allowing the owner to download any map changes made by other motorists onto the machine, a plus point.
IQ maps are also standard however I would happily have paid a bit more for their advanced lane guidence which highlights the correct lane at busy intersections you should be in, this is a boon on some motorways.
I'm happy with my start, shame about the sound output which is my only real gripe. This will never be left in my glove box for some git to nick, and hopefully it will guide me as well if not better than my last unit. A good buy for not a lot of outlay.
NB: since writing this review I have found the volume control (yippee) so scratch the first gripe about volume on the unit, I'm now a happy camper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and easy to use, 14 Feb 2010
D. Reid (surrey, uk) - See all my reviews
This is now the second Tom Tom I have purchased.
My partner required one of her own and didn't need the
Bluetooth, voice activation, MP3 player, and other bells and whistles.
Simple and clean functions make this perfect for her.
Out of the box it was a pleasure to use and did not require
calling NASA to translate the instruction booklet

A great value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a review of TomTom Customer Services!, 5 Sep 2010
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I already have a TomTom satellite navigation system and use it regularly. I rate this as a 5 Star product. I shall soon be travelling extensively throughout Europe by road and recently saw an opportunity to purchase a spare unit quite cheaply at a sale. Although an older model, the unit was still boxed, absolutely complete and appeared to be unused. It would not, however, switch on but, thinking it needed nothing more than charging, I took a chance and bought it.

I tried everything (As did my local store) but the unit simply would not switch on. Eventually, I contacted TomTom Customer Services and told them how I had obtained the unit and that it was "NOT" under guarantee. Their service was exceptional. Firstly, they sent me a small package containing a cardboard box which, when assembled, fitted my TomTom unit perfectly and would clearly protect the unit whilst in the post. Secondly, the package also contained a Royal Mail "Special Delivery" envelope complete with address and tracking number. Postage and insurance were already paid by TomTom.

Within 24 hours of my posting the unit back to TomTom I received an email confirming receipt and within 7 days I got another unit back. TomTom had REPLACED my unit free of charge with a brand new and exactly the same model and ALL under guarantee!

So for those of you who are contemplating purchasing a TomTom satellite navigation system, I thought you might like to know about this company's follow-up customer services system. They are quite excellent and I hope this message is useful.

NM

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sat Nav., 25 Mar 2010
Contrary to a few bad reviews of this product, with claims that the software does not work and updates are faulty and so on, it was very easy to get the free new map on tomtom site and the first update i did after 25 days was also very easy to access/select what u want to do with your tomtom. The detail level of the map is amazing, even off road private paths are recognized, although it is basic in regards to optional extra's, this sat nav is also a fraction of the price of the other sat nav's that some people seem to need to tell them where everything in the world is, if u just want to get from A-B with the bonus of alternative routes at your finger tips then this is the sat nav 4 u!

In short a real bargain, this product is cheaper with Amazon by nearly 30, delivered free and working 100%.

Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward SatNav, 18 Nov 2009
So far so good on this basic model. The main difference between this and (higher model) TomTom One seems to be that the latter provides lane information. The touchscreen menu is fairly intuitive, though a complete technophobe will need some practice. Good clear voice instructions with excellent personalisation (language, accent, gender). Post code input seems to be first 3 or 4 digits only. Lack of advanced features (POI, alternate routes) is to be expected on a basic model, and in any case, satnav is an inferior choice to finding area info (or indeed reliable maps) to Google Maps. Unless you are a satnav enthusiast, the Start is all you really need.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect sat nav, 19 Jun 2010
D. Lo - See all my reviews
I am very happy with this product. It arrived three days after I placed the order and you can use it straight after you have updated your maps from the computer. It has never taken me down one-way systems in the wrong direction, which usually happens with other sat navs! I drove on the motorway with it the second time I was driving independently and it really does take off the stress of finding the right route. It gives you warning in advance (will tell you there is a round about even before you see the signs) and tells you which road to go into next so you can double check with the signs. It can find places smartly, so if you select to go to a shopping mall it will take you to the right entrance of its car park! (I was expecting it to just take me to the building and I would have to drive around it for a while to find the entrance.)

You can change the voices into many different languages and accents as well, so great for people who prefer non-English instructions (or don't like English accent!). The only down side is the instructions book is too simple, so you will have to workout some of the functions by yourself (e.g. took me and my friend ages to work out how to change the volume, and we found out you need to press the box where is shows you your speed on the bottom left corner).

Overall I am very satisfied with the product and I do recommend it, especially for new drivers! (I have only started driving last month and have already drove a three-hour motorway journey with it- something you can really rely on!)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing spec, 17 Oct 2009
Bazz2004 (Willenhall,, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I thought that a basic model with just UK maps and a sharp price would be ideal. On arrival I was pleased that it set up easily, was compact and had a clever mounting which would reverse to make a little stand. The User guide was brief and I needed support to find out if it would charge up out of the car using the usb computer lead.
Next problem was how to set routes avoiding motorways? Even after emailing TomTom I couldn't find the expected Change preferences option. Feeling embarrassed I contacted TomTom again and received the news that the Start hasn't the option to specify route requirements such as avoiding motorways and toll roads. Since the wife often prefers to keep clear of the motorway routes this led to a swift return of the TomTom. To my mind this is a massive fault in a model aimed at newcomers to sat nav units. Newly qualified drivers,learners or those who feel daunted by busy motorways should select a different model. It's also dear for what little you get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom Start Europe, 6 April 2010
Andy C (Cheltenham, England) - See all my reviews
The price and delivery of this product were all I expected from amazon, arriving a couple of days after purchase. I recently used the tom tom europe to go to Italy with a couple of stops on the way there and on the return journey. The directions were spot on 99.9% of the time, and even when the map was slightly out of date or I missed a turning you were quickly put back onto the correct route. I would strongly recommend this product for all. I have always used maps and route planners up to now, but this unit is very user friendly and gives simple to interpret instructions. The only down side is, although upgrading the tom tom from your computer is straightforward, it could be a little simpler for computer novices.

TomTom Start 3.5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps