5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun no matter what your age!
I had seen some pretty good professional reviews of "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs", and since I am generally a fan of animation (who doesn't love "Finding Nemo" and "Ratatouille"?!) I was very pleased when I received this film as a gift.

Published on 18 Aug 2010 by Lauren Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D Film and effects, Not so good story line
Was going to give this 4 stars but I thought id be fair and give it 3 stars only due to the story line. If I was just reviewing this on the 3D content only I would give it 5 stars, The 3D content and effects in this film are amazing it really showed off my 3D TV and showed me how good 3D content really is using a 3D Blu-ray player and 3D TV but I gave this film 3 stars...
Published on 3 Dec 2010 by Druster

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun no matter what your age!, 18 Aug 2010
Lauren Thomas - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [DVD] [2010] (DVD)

For those who don't know (I didn't!) this film is based on a popular children's book from the late 70s, and is about (in a nutshell) a young scientist who is desperate to invent something that will improve everyone's life and will make his somewhat old-fashioned father proud. His invention? A machine that can turn rain into food, which although seems great at first look, inevitably causes huge problems.

First of all, this film has an absolutely brilliant voice cast including Bill Hader, Anna Faris and James Caan, and all of these actors have been cast perfectly. It also has a fantastic supporting cast of characters, my favourites being Steve the monkey, voiced by Neil Patrick Harris and Officer Earl Devereaux, voiced by none other than Mr T. The little asides from these characters had me in stitches throughout the film, and the animation is bright, imaginative and beautiful.

Whilst I've read some reviews by people complaining about "plot holes" and the like, the fact is, this is animation and is a film about raining food(!) so I think it is wise to suspend relief with this film and simply enjoy. It is hugely funny, is packed full of endearing and hilarious characters, and ends beautifully. I can see myself watching this one over and over again!

4.0 out of 5 stars A FUNNY AND HIGHLY ENTERTAINING COMEDY!, 24 Jan 2011
G. Stephenson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS is a brilliantly hilarious and exciting comedy about a young inventor trying to impress his land and his father. After a series of 'tries', he manages to make it rain food. But soon his girlfriend Sam Sparks discovers that the food is growing larger! Soon the world is in danger of ending!

It's suck a brilliant film!

Just 1 problem:

Some parts can make you feel ever so slightly sick!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Culinary Delight, 23 Feb 2010
N. Langford (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This was a lovely movie about the dreams we hold as children and the hope that we may one day achieve them. The comedy is light hearted, the visuals are mouth-wateringly stunning (especially the Jelly Mall) and the story itself, holds your attention. I believe the movie was aimed at all ages, as there was something for everyone. I can truely say that I was looking forward to this DVD arriving and it did not disappoint, I would whole-heartedly recommend this to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice movie, great HD movie, 30 Jan 2010
The animation is fantastic and it looks great in this blu ray edition. It is worth seeing the movie just because of this. As one of the other reviewers mentioned it is a great movie for grown up'ish people too. The colours are great and they have a psychedelic feel to them. The story is very straightforward without too many surprises, but with a bunch of funny moments. I don't know if this movie is great for kids, but if I had kids I would definitely give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars How does the 3D stand up ?, 7 July 2010
Daniel James - See all my reviews
All the other reviews here seem to just talk about the film....BUT WHAT ABOUT THE 3D?

I can tell you that I have just finished watching this in glorious 3D and it is the business.

Leaving the story behind I can say that the 3D experience is every bit as good as the cinema, if not better as I can sit at home with a beer and watch this one with the family.

I have tested this using the Samsung syncmaster 2233 3d lcd and the Acer H5360 projector, using the new and updated version of Cyberlink Powerdvd 10 installed on a Windows 7 pc with the nVidia 3D transmitter and glasses.

The Samsung has the same ghosting issues that all 3D LCD seems to have but the Acer H5360 projector was fantastic, no ghosting just amazing pop out imagery !

I have also tested this film in 3D with an Optoma HD67 with drivers acquired from the nVidia forums and it too is flawless in 3D playback.

If you have the kit for 3D gaming on the PC then all you need is the Powerdvd 10 software and today's latest update from their website and you are good for Bluray 3D. Also the Powerdvd software will convert ALL of your 2D media into 3D on the fly.

Hope this is a bit more informative than 'my Gran loved this film etc etc etc'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humorous for all ages, 17 Feb 2010
Dr. Wolfgang Krueger "munichsandiego" (Munich, Germany) - See all my reviews
I must be honest and tell you that I chose the movie for the title alone. And all of us (ages 8, 10, 15, 17, 19, 50's) thought it was spectacular! Full of wit, charm, fabulous imagination and vivid filmmaking effects. Great! The added bonus of one for home and one for the car is clever, too. (Good marketing, guys!!) The blu-ray version is so good that Dad enjoyed the experience, too. We all recommend this movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant film for all, 14 Feb 2011
S. KINLOCH (shrewsbury) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This film is brilliant, my children 4 and 2 always pick this one to watch.
Myself and my husband have sat down to watch it and its pretty good for an animation film.
storyline flows well and the characters are brilliant, my 2 little ones adore Steve the monkey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
An entertaining DVD for my 7 year old on our camping holiday. Perfect for her evening entertainment. She was happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable film, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
my girls age 11, 8, 6 and 3 all loved this film and have watched it loads. enjoyable fun film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cloudy with a chance of meatballs DVD, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I enjoyed this film, and my children (8 and 6) liked it too. I find it useful when a film appeals to both a boy and a girl, especially since my little girl has a preference for pink/fairy/Barbie stories. This film had quite a good female lead, so wasn't just written off despite not starring Barbie...

ARRAY(0xb4985f18)