4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance.
I was given this box set as a gift after wanting to get it for ages. I am so glad I finally got the series.
Published on 2 Jan 2012 by Auntie Aaron

2.0 out of 5 stars What was Claudia Thinking
Published 5 months ago by Charles Lister

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance., 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Like any series you need a while to get to know the characters but once I started watching I had to watch the whole series in one sitting. It is witty, slightly loopy but easy to watch. The whole concept has so much potential and the end of the series leaves you wanting more. Considering the relatively low budget, the effects are excellent, the actors are great and the whole thing just deserves a chance. I seriously hope there is another series soon. Loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great surprise!, 7 Dec 2009
Mr. Srm Pearce "24_fan" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I wasn't sure what to make of this when I saw it in the shop, but as a big Babylon 5 fan I picked it up because of Claudia and now am happy report that I really enjoyed it! Seemingly coming from nowhere, 'Starhyke' is a show with surprisingly high production values - fantastic CGI as a couple of other reviews have noted and really fun storylines. A somewhat oddball but very funny main cast carry us through the show's six episodes (with a few surprise appearance popping in along the way) until we reach a very funny cliffhanger at the end of episode six.... if the makers of this show get a second season to resolve it it would definitely come well deserved! I think my favourite episode was the time travel in episode 4.

If you are skeptical, I encourage you to take the risk on this show!

2.0 out of 5 stars What was Claudia Thinking, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Think of this show as an american attempt to make Red Dwarf. It has a slightly bigger budget and a big name (Claudia) but a terrible script. The Humour just isn't funny a lot of the time leaving you wincing instead of laughing. It has the odd moment when you think it might get better but sadly they don't last. I tried to like this and even made it through most of the shows but when the gandalf outfit came out I couldn't take any more

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep with it you won't be disappointed!, 3 Feb 2012
N R HARRIS (West Midlands, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Missed this show on television due to commitments so bought the DVD. Truthfully the first couple episodes had a few giggles in them and I wasn't sure but I carried on watching and I'm glad I did because afterwards the series in my opinion got better and better. The story line became a little more darker and the characters had started to fit in with what they were experiencing so as the series went on with not so many laughs but a really good story was building so imagine my disappointment that I've now got to wait for (hopefully) series two to come out to find out what happens to the crew. For what you pay you get all six episodes and plenty of bonus features which I also enjoyed. If you liked Hyperdrive then you'll love this as I didn't like Hyperdrive and I do feel that Starhyke is better. All I can say is don't give up after two episodes keep watching because you'll really miss a treat and remember the series 'Lost' took about six/seven episodes before it warmed up, Starhyke only needed two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 25 Aug 2014
Simon Skinner (Penge, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Found this a bit bland. The series looks like an old fashioned sci fi. Poor sets and robotic acting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original, funny - a real sci fi treat!, 28 Oct 2009
This review is from: Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I caught a sneak preview of this upcoming sci-fi series at a convention earlier this year, and I honestly don't think I stopped laughing!

For something apparently made for such a small budget - the cast, scripts, design and effects work are all fantastic. If you know your sci-fi, and trust me I do, this is an absolute delight from start to finish. Sometimes there's nothing more enjoyable than to sit back and have a little bit of fun poked at your favourite genre, especially one that usually takes itself so seriously - and of course this is made by people with not only a comprehensive knowledge of it, but also who have nothing but the utmost love and respect for what they homage.

I cannot wait to get my copy at the end of this month, especially looking at that special features list, and I highly recommend that if you're reading this and sci-fi is your thing then you do the same!

Here's hoping for a season 2!

1.0 out of 5 stars Take a hyke, 16 Jun 2011
This review is from: Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
For Babylon Five fans the name Claudia Christian is enough to catch your attention. Even her talents cannot redeem this series. While some reviewers have described it as being like Red Dwarf there is a significant difference - Red Dwarf is funny. This series is prime ham. If your taste in humour runs to Benny Hill episodes then you might find some redeeming features in this series but I could not find any. Despite having four DVDs there are only six less than half hour episodes in this series. The bloopers are probably the most entertaining part of this series and for a comedy that is never a good sign.

4.0 out of 5 stars Originality on a budget, 18 Mar 2010
This review is from: Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This series will be forever plagued by comparisons to Red Dwarf and Hyperdrive, but it really is in it's own league. Despite the minimal budget, the show really does look beautiful and I cannot fault the overall design element. Unfortunately, I would argue this only really appeals to the die hard fan of sci-fi, with lots of interesting nods to various films and TV series.

A good supporting cast and some pleasant cameos make this worth watching, however the one thing that lets it down for me is the music, which really didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the show.

I would like to see a second series, but fear this may not happen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed it...., 4 Feb 2014
M. W. Salter "mwsalter" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
Firstly I'd like to say something about the quality of the packaging and contents..when I received this set it was the weight that suprised me. There was obviously more than i expected inside..not only do you get 4 x DVDs, but also 6 x collectors postcard size photos all beautifully presented, this was a very good start.
So onto the series itself...this is not a Red Dwarf Clone I repeat this is not a Red Dwarf clone, although similar, set in space and humerous, its unfair to compare the two like for like. This series is a brave attempt to do something different, it doesnt always work, then again neither did Red Dwarf all the time. If you enjoy good special effects, odd characters, a weird storyline and some excellent acting, then dim the lights crack open a bottle of wine and let the absurdity of it all put a smile on your face...I did and it did.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Comedy For British Sci-Fi Fans, 22 Dec 2009
A. Evans (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
This DVD set is a triumph for the creators of this show. Its such a shame that it wasn't picked up by a TV channel tor each a wider audience. Created on a shoe-string budget but looking way more expensive, Andrew Dymond's new sci-fi comedy deserves to be seen by a wider audience. The SFX are terrific and confuse the viewer into thinking that a lot more money was spent on this show.

I wasn't too impressed with the corny names for the crew members but the ensemble overcome that shortcoming effortlessly and move the stories forward with pace and panache.

The central performance by Claudia Christian is a very knowing, tongue in cheek turn but she plays it perfectly as Belinda Blowhard. The less well-known cast also deserve a mention as well with ship's mechanic Sally Popyatopoff, played by Stephanie Jory and Rachel Grant's Wu Oof catching the eye.

The antagonist to the crew's protagonists, a race known as The Reptid look for all the world like The Thing from the Fantastic Four and have the longevity of life enjoyed only by Kenny on South Park!

If this DVD can make its money back we might see a second series and will be able to enjoy the further adventures of this cast and if one thing is for certain I would love to see more from this promising freshman group as it moves into its second year. And if you are looking for another show to fill the gap left by Red Dwarf and NEVER truly filled by the woeful Hyper Drive.

So give this show a chance and see if you can enjoy it like me. Well done to the makers and just keep up the good work.

Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009]
Starhyke Complete series 1 [DVD] [2009] by Claudia Christian (DVD - 2009)