This soundtrack is full of fantastic songs from an even better movie. From classics like The Smiths to new tracks from Temper Trap, this soundtrack is full of quality gems. It's a shame they missed out Patrick Swayze though! (This comment makes more sense after you've seen the movie).

I've had this CD for over a month and it still hasn't left my CD player. Definately money well spent!
When you have a quirky arty comedy movie -- especially one with romance -- it's pretty much a must to have a brilliant soundtrack.

So it's hardly surprising that "(500) Days Of Summer" has a colorful array of various songs from a pretty eclectic bunch of bands -- everything from classics to indie pop, anti-folk to galloping hard rock'n'roll. And while it adds extra dimensions to the lovable film from which it springs, it's also a pretty good selection of music in its own right.

We're ushered into the album with a soft cloud of strings and flute, and a solemn spoken monologue about the movie's plot: "This is a story of boy meets girl..." Rather appropriately, it then segues into the rippling beauty of Regina Spektor's "Us" ("They made a statue of us/and put it on a mountaintop/now tourists come and stare at us..."), a delightfully peppy song that trickles up and down the piano keys.

The songs that follow are a pretty eclectic bunch: the Smiths' hard-edged "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and the fast-strummed "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want," Simon and Garfunkel's wispy folk "Bookends," and the delightful "You Make My Dreams" by Hall and Oates. And then there's Wolfmother's blazing cycling "Vagabond," the Black Lips' stringy unpolished "Bad Kids," the Temper Trap's fast-pacing shifting rocker "Sweet Disposition," Mumm-Ra's catchy Britpopper "She's Got You High," and the brilliantly sweeping, fast-moving "There Goes The Fear" by the Doves.

Then there's the pop interwoven from start to finish: the mellow acoustic "Quequ'un M'a Dit" by France's current First Lady, Feist's delightfully sprightly "Mushaboom," Meaghan Smith's quirky pianopop "Here Comes Your Man," and another song by Regine Spektor, the rambling bittersweet prettiness of "Hero." And there's a sweet little epilogue to this -- M. Ward and the movie's star Zooey Deschanel perform as She and Him (yes, that is the band name!), with a sweet and sparkling cover of "Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want." And yes, she does have a lovely voice.

The biggest flaw with the "(500) Days Of Summer" soundtrack is that it tends to leap up and down in tempo -- you go from soft and mellow to hard-as-bricks and back again in the space of one song. Oh yeah, and the Black Lips just don't fit in, since they sound kind of tinny and rough-edged compared to the other songs.

Other than that, it's a pretty delightful collection of music cobbled from various genres and time periods, until it feels like listening in on the lead characters' iPods. And while some of the songs vary wildly, all together they give a feeling of warmth and hopeful love -- and serve as a journey into the mind of a person idealistically in love, with moods swinging like a pendulum and bittersweet wistfulness.

There's a lot of guitar and piano woven through this album, especially in the indie-pop songs and the final She and Him song, but there's also a healthy dose of blazing electric guitar, blunt bass, a trickle of keyboard, and some sharp beats in "Sweet Disposition." And the vocalists are excellent as well -- some are quirky and piquant (Feist, Spektor and especially Deschanel) while others are rich and smooth (the Doves and the Smiths especially).

The music of "(500) Days Of Summer" varies wildly and bounces all over the place, yet somehow the soundtrack unifies into a warm and pleasant mingling of vibrant rock, classics and quirky pop. Certainly worth getting.
on 23 September 2009
(500) Days of Summer is a great movie and its soundtrack does justice to the story. It's one of the best soundtracks I've ever listened to. You will find very uplifting songs in it and some sad melodies that work so well together. Before entering the world of filmmaking Marc Webb directed music videos, no wonder why he came out with this compilation. Don't think about it, buy this CD!
on 6 December 2011
I bought this soundtrack after falling in love with the film. However, there were a few little aspects which slightly let it down. The version of 'Here Comes Your Man' is not the original by The Pixies, rather a Meagan Smith cover. There also seem to be quite a lot of tracks by the same artist, i.e. three songs by The Smiths, if you include the She&Him cover and two by Regina Spektor. I was also a little disappointed that the soundtrack didn't include 'Have I Been A Fool' by Jack Penate, which I think could have been a great asset. Aside from the aforementioned, this is a diverse and sweet soundtrack that is perfect for driving around to during the summer.
on 25 October 2009
Must say I loved the film - not groundbreaking and even a few cliches (e.g. the annoying wise kid sister) - but very enjoyable, charming, quirky and life-affirming viewing. Pretty much sums up this very eclectic soundtrack that is far 'too cool for school' for it's own good, but highly enjoyable anyways!
on 6 May 2013
After watching the movie, we ordered the soundtrack. I already had some of the Smiths songs which are on it, but what I really wanted was the excellent track by The Temper Trap.
Over all the CD is a short one, but it does have some really enjoyable songs on it, I had never heard any Regina Spektor but had heard of her, and who new that Carla Bruni, ex-model and ex Mrs French President, had recorded any stuff?
If you like the movie you'll enjoy the cool soundtrack, and if gets you into the Smiths then that's even better!
on 10 March 2014
After watching the film I was left thinking girls can be really mean, and I didn't want to see it again (I have, however!). But this is probably a rare case where I would rather listen to the soundtrack than watch the film - some great tracks from Regina Spektor and The Smiths especially. Track 7 "You make my dreams" is a house favourite. Love to play it full blast in the car or when doing jobs around the house!
on 21 February 2014
I wanted to buy this after enjoying the songs within the film as well as the film itself. A nice mixture of various artists. But it does not include every song from the film, e.g. The Infinite Pet by Spoon. But the product arrived pretty quickly and was in tact once I received it.

Other than that, it is a very enjoyable soundtrack which I do listen to again and again.
on 7 May 2011
I loved the movie and am loving the soundtrack. This album is currently my favourite with songs that will make you feel a range of emotions. The songs are unique and some have really great lyrics. My favourite is "You Make My Dreams" and the song is even better when I think about the sequence in the movie with Joesph Gordon Levitt dancing to this tune.
on 11 August 2010
I bought this CD after becoming hooked on a few of the songs in the film - was definitely worth it! The variety of music's fantastic- from slower tracks to the more lively/upbeat ones. The music accentuates the storyline well and I can't wait to watch the film again now that I can recognise all the songs!