5.0 out of 5 stars SURPRISINGLY ... A GREAT CHRISTMAS ALBUM!!!
Ok, I know that Dylan can do no wrong, but a Christmas album? Well, when I first heard about it, I was skeptical to say the least, and when it was released and I found it on my Amazon recommendations list, I passed the opportunity to buy it as I thought it was not worth it. Luckily it was given to me as a gift and my skepticism proved to be wrong.

This is a...
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by Eleni

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Nostalgia and Greetings Cards!
So what's the difference between the regular and the Deluxe copy of this CD? The deluxe version contains 5 greetings cards bearing the same picture as the album cover which, I guess, are limited editions. Now back to the album.

Published on 11 Oct 2009 by Kim Hatton

5.0 out of 5 stars SURPRISINGLY ... A GREAT CHRISTMAS ALBUM!!!, 2 Nov 2010
Eleni - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Christmas In The Heart (Audio CD)

This is a wonderful Christmas album, with well loved Christmas songs like `Little Drummer Boy' and `Winter Wonderland' to name just a few, it is an alternative to the usual Christmas music and it is so much fun to listen to. Apparently Dylan can do no wrong even where Christmas albums are concerned.

If like me, you did not buy this when it was released, get it now and don't spend another Christmas without it. And the best thing about it; Dylan is donating all royalties from the sales of the recordings to homeless charities; excellent Christmas spirit.

Have a very Happy Christmas!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Raving bonkers - brilliant, 15 Dec 2009
This review is from: Christmas In The Heart (Audio CD)
Absolutely wonderful - an antidote to anodyne Xmas records. "Must Be Santa" is a manic, careering sleigh ride with a band of lunatics out for a good time in Poland! AND it's for Charidee! Thanks, Bob - love it - and I've never bought a Dylan record before!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Christmas Gift, 17 Jan 2011
This review is from: Christmas In The Heart (Audio CD)
These carols are arranged and performed by Dylan's superb backing band... In my view the best band he has ever had.. beautiful carols sung in an unmistakable Dylan style... i bought this as a Christmas present for a pal who was not a Dylan fan but he could not stop playing it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob Dylans Christmas Album, 10 Jan 2010
Mr. Eugene Brosnan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas In The Heart (Audio CD)
Dylan has treated all the songs, new and old, with the respect these great pieces deserve. He and his magnificent band play them straight, but of course the voice that is sand and glue makes them all really unique. Stand out tracks are Must Be Santa, with the hilarious accompanying video, and Little Drummer Boy which also has a superbly animated video. Hark The Herald Angels Sing and Oh Come All Ye Faithful have vocals that are really dynamic and powerful and choirs of angles for me cannot compete with the solitary, bear-like growl that is the voice of Mr Bob Dylan. He injects a new 21st Century passion to these well worn classics. Overall a great album by any standards and in a way a pity that it's limited to a seasonal genre. Thanks Bob!!! I'm not a Christmas person but you made it a bit more bearable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Santa Bobby, 20 Nov 2009
SMcQ (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas In The Heart (Audio CD)
An unexpected release? Yes.
A surreal album? Yes.
A grower? Surprisingly yes.

Hey - I'm a Dylan nut like a lot of you out there and was entirely sceptical of this project to say the least. Like you, I listened to the 30 second sound clips initially posted on Amazon. Like you, I shook my head in despair at what I heard. One for completists only I thought. However, give the album or selected tracks a few plays and it may just win you over. I kid you not. Go on - give it a go. It is Christmas afterall.

Thanks Bob and a Merry Christmas to you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Nostalgia and Greetings Cards!, 11 Oct 2009
Kim Hatton "Kim Hatton" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas in the Heart (Audio CD)

Listening to a preview of these tracks a week ago I assumed that Dylan fans would buy this with a completely uncritical ear - and that these fans would probably be the same ones who'd hated 'Self Portrait,' now mellow and soft shoe shuffling along to 'Winter Wonderland' and bopping to 'Here Comes Santa Claus'. But then I realised that Dylan has constantly added new generations to his fan base so it is more difficult to make predictions concerning his newer listeners. I didn't know what to expect but then, I thought, 'nothing will surprise me with Dylan.' There has been a lot of merit in his last four albums - though I believe they are over-rated on account of The 'BobCat' factor which must opine that the master can do no wrong these days. This album can hardly be judged alongside his recent studio work as it is pure Christmas 'Product' and, without its status as a 'Charity Record' would be less easily forgiven - though to many of his fans Dylan can do no wrong.

'Christmas In The Heart' sounds as though Dylan has enlisted The Mike Sammes Singers/King Brothers and somehow pasted The Andrews Sisters into the mix. Where this album follows in the wake of his last couple of albums is in Dylan's ear for that 'Old Timey' music, reflected in the choice of album cover and in much of the music played on 'Theme Time Radio Hour'. This music oozes Christmas past.

With the album playing on a continual loop I came to a deeper enjoyment of it as I listened, 'The Little Drummer Boy' is quite affecting in Dylan's burnt out vocal, 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' which I confess to quite enjoying though not necessarily in the spirit I should do. Dylan intones rather than sings it. 'Do You Hear What I Hear?' [Ahem] 'The First Noel',[with a heavy Andrews Sisters sound] 'Oh Come All Ye Faithful', a slightly strained vocal as Dylan tries for notes beyond his reach and rasps out the latin verse with comic pronunciation; a frantic 'Must Be Santa Claus', a croaked 'Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem' and a mellow 'I'll Be Home For Christmas''. - '[I Guess I've Got] The Christmas Blues' sounded as though it could be an original but now I have the full credits instead of an info free demo I find it isn't. Another 'stand out' track is 'If You've Ever Spent Christmas On Christmas Island' to the tune of Patsy Cline's 'Have You Ever Been Lonely' and awash with Hawaiian guitars The whole concept is a link back to the late forties and early fifties, in particular to Bing Crosby purveyor of many a Christmas album. Dylan has included three of the songs most closely identified with Crosby--"I'll Be Home for Christmas" (1943), "Silver Bells" (1952), and "Do You Hear What I Hear?"[1962]

So what do I think? Well it's a 'Christmas Album by Dylan' - art imitates history. For back in the late sixties there was a rumoured bootleg of 'Dylan's unreleased 'Christmas Album' and there was even mock up art work and a tracklist. But considering I'm impervious to Dylan's X Factor [I can't give him 5 stars automatically because he's DYLAN!'] this album grew on me with each listening and Dylan charmed his way so far into my consciousness that I was humming and singing along to myself as I went through the rest of the day.

This is a 'Good' record but not a great one,there are few 'Great' Christmas records, though, A Christmas Gift For You from Phil Spector [Digitally Remastered By Phil Spector], is certainly one that I'll be playing alongside Dylan come Christmas. Unlike some of my detractors I can't automatically award 'Christmas In The Heart', five stars just because it is by Bob Dylan and the royalties are all going to charity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas magic, 31 Dec 2009
A. Shiner (somerset,uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas In The Heart (Audio CD)
I love love love this CD. I adore Dylan anyway but this is something different. It's kind of like someone in the family having fun with Christmas songs-simple, pure, fun with the essence of the 1950's. Definitely not over produced, but produced from the Heart! It's made my Christmas -I can now evoke the Christmas feeling that I want year after year. Thank you Bob!xx

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly it works!, 24 Oct 2009
Mr. M. J. Muir "malcolmmuir" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas In The Heart (Audio CD)
I was a little sceptical to say the least. Bob Dylan singing Christmas songs, surely not! Strange bedfellows indeed, but amazingly it works very well. Have a listen, there's something about Dylan's rasping voice that adds something to all tracks on this album. On top of this the royalties are being donated to a very worthwhile charitable cause. Go out and get an early Christmas present!

4.0 out of 5 stars Satchmo Move Over!, 9 Jan 2010
R. E. Robb "His Bobness" (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Christmas in the Heart (Audio CD)
This Christmas offering, issued for a worthy charitable purpose, is much better than some commentators would have you believe. The tiresome Terry Wogan dismissed it out of hand claiming the singing was much worse than his own. He needs a new pair of ears!

Dylan swings his way through 15 seasonal favourites including "Hark The Herald Angels Sing" "Silver Bells" "O' Little Town Of Bethlehem" and 12 others you know and love. He seems to enjoy himself along the way.

Dylan's voice is moving closer to Louis Armstrong as the years pass so now there are two old growlers on that particular bleacher. If you think of "Wonderful Life" you will get a good idea of the style of singing, a rich gravel mix.Christmas in the Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Should become a Christmas standard!, 14 Dec 2009
This review is from: Christmas in the Heart (Audio CD)
I love Christmas, and I love Bob Dylan. I'm by no means a hard-core Dylanologist, I just enjoy his music and recognise him as a hugely significant figure in popular music and a man with a marvellous sense of both humour and musical history (just listen to his radio programmes). Much has been said and written about this album and Dylan's motives for recording it have been questioned. But, once I got used to his vocal stylings in the context of these songs (which had me reaching, vicariously, for the throat lozenges on several occasions), I hugely enjoyed the whole album. This is sincere and joyful music-making and I defy anyone not to be uplifted by Dylan and band's galloping take on "Must Be Santa". Add to that the great retro-style packaging and the fact that all royalties go to charity and, well, what's not to like? I listened to this album three times over while undertaking the dreaded chore of writing Christmas cards and, not only did the album sound better on each hearing, it turned a chore into a delight. This album is part of the weave of America's musical history and should certainly be part of Christmas for many years to come. (NB: The deluxe edition which includes five Christmas cards is nice to have but not essential)

Christmas in the Heart
Christmas in the Heart by Bob Dylan (Audio CD - 2009)