Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 July 2001
This is Talking Heads at their most commercial, and a very catchy album. The sturdy rhythm section that was one of Talking Heads' trademarks are complemented here by some very poppy guitars and proper songs, though songwriter David Byrne's lyrics are as existentialist as ever. The highlights are the two brilliant singles 'Road to Nowhere' (their biggest hit) and 'And She Was', and the bouncing, funky 'Stay Up Late' but there are no duff tracks and this is a big, brassy, sunny album which is great to sing along to as you do the housework.
on 2 October 2007
'Little Creatures' was the first Talking Heads album that was released while I was actually a fan of them. In other words, it was the first album of theirs that I was hoping was going to be good. I was 14. It was brilliant then, and it sounds pretty brilliant today.

What's often underestimated about the Heads is their sheer strangeness. 'Little Creatures' is a highly deceptive album - glossy, precise, beautifully and tastefully played, but entirely without thumping gated reverb, glamorous 80's style digital delay or horrible overdubbage, it sounds weirdly stark and almost puritan next to most other mainstream records of the period. And as for the songs, who the hell knows what 'Give Me Back My Name' is about? 'Television Man' is an anthem in the making that never got played live. 'Road To Nowhere' has to be the most joyful song about death ever put on record. (No wonder that Dave Eggers' liner note praises it, and its incomparable video, for the 'power and knowledge' it seemed to offer him as a soon-to-be-orphaned teenager.)

I had a very strange sense of deja vu when I first heard this album; I seemed to have always known it. To this day, I don't know why 'And She Was' feels like a song I've known since infancy when I can only have been 14 when I first heard it. This is, for my money, Talking Heads' last truly wonderful album, its professional sheen and surface calmness betrayed by all kinds of trouble and anxiety beneath. The next one, 'True Stories', is a mere offshoot of a movie, and while they got it together again for most of the tracks on their final album, they were already hardly a band anymore.

Maybe I just never noticed it before, but the video of 'Road to Nowhere' seems to have necessitated butchering the song somewhat. Bars are dropped and verses are curtailed all over the place. It's still a brilliant video, though.

I don't give many things five stars, but I love this album to bits. And it still comes back to offer me more.
on 23 March 2013
I shall leave it to the music experts to tell you why this album is so good, my endorsement is far simpler. This is a brilliant album and with all Talking Heads offerings the production and engineering enhances the listeners experience. Vocals are amazing, arrangements terrific but that simply drumming is the sheer delight here.
on 27 January 2006
Some reviwers have a very strange view of the world as we can see elsewhere in relation to this album. This in no way sounds like a Byrne solo. The evidence of the other Heads influence is clear here. I boought this on it's original release,and loved it1 How can you not be won over by an album that starts with And She Was? If the other remastered albums are anything to go by this will sound fabntastic. Some listeners probably mistake the less hard edged sound here and do not listen to the songs, which are as out there as Byrne's lyrics ever got but the quality of the music: sound, rhythm and variety of styles that seemlessly flow together whithout getting repetative or bland is a triumph. Listen up, this is great stuff!
on 22 April 2014
Great album. Had it years ago on vinyl and gave it away. Decided to get a copy on CD as always liked the music. Great service from Amazon and seller as arrived quickly. Loving it. Many thanks.
on 14 May 2011
Absolutely fab - the actual hits from this "Road to Nowhere" and "And she was" are actually the weakest. The long version of "The Lady Don't Mind" is brilliant as is the whole album!
on 9 May 2014
Great album highly recommended brilliant songs and they've done lots more on other albums check em out you won't regret it.
on 20 April 2013
I found this talking heads cd to be brilliant.the sound quality and all the songs on the disc were great.
on 12 March 2013
I had this on tape originally, and it wore out. Nice to hear the old tracks again. Great driving music
on 28 May 2015
Their big album smash that broke them and their back catalogue to new audiences. I for one bought the album on the strength of the cover - so they do sell!! - and went on to buy a lot of Talking Heads back catalogue - intelligent lyrics and mellifluous playing make Little Creatures a stand-out album