4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, but a departure from the series
GTA IV has had mixed views; some love it, some hate it. IGN gave it 10 out of 10, only the second time it's ever given that grade, and the first time on the 7th Generation Consoles (360, PS3, Wii, DS and PSP).

Published on 7 Aug 2010 by GNRWaldy

3.0 out of 5 stars Son likes it.
He likes this all his friends have it he has loads of fun playing it, although I don't allow the sound to be on as some words are a bit too much.
Published 8 months ago by star

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, but a departure from the series, 7 Aug 2010
GNRWaldy "Chris" (Birmingham, West Mids, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grand Theft Auto IV - Classics Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

This is a fun game, but it lacks that GTA feel. I think that with the console switch, the game has upped the graphics to an impressive level, but has left behind some of the great gameplay features which made the series so great in the first place.

Firstly, if you loved GTA 3, Vice City and/ or San Andreas, this is different. The humour of the series and ridiculous, impossible to follow storyline are still there, but feel grittier. Unfortunately, a lot of the fun "distractions" of the previous games are also gone, such as courier missions, firefighter and ambulance (which I didn't care for anyway). Still, there's more emphasis on seeing the main game through than exploration and distraction IMO.

The game is a lot of fun though, if you know what to do and where to look. The mechanics and elements are all there to enjoy, but perhaps not as obvious. The new physics engine for example leads to hours of fun diving out of cars and experiencing not just a standard animation sequence, but often an extended flip-out half way down the road, often smashing face first into a wall or car. For the creative minded, this is a great little sandbox to play with.

One small point, I didn't find the music that impressive this time. It took me hours to find a song I liked (Jailbreak, Thin Lizzy) and compared to the superb listings of San Andreas and Vice City, this is a monotony. Sure the era is modern, and I'm stuck in the 70's and 80's, but it would have been nice to have something decent to listen to.

I haven't played the online, but apparently it's very good with friends!

I'd recommend this game to:
- creative minded people with a spare hour
- anyone who likes open world games
- people who don't take games too seriously

I wouldn't recommend this for:
- children (hence the age rating!)
- people without a sense of humour who like more serious games

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous game, 17 Jun 2011
Angel House "Poet" (South Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I think this is probably one of the best if not the best of the Grand Theft Auto games. We have it on PS 3 and having recently invested in an Xbox, we have bought a copy for that as well. It keeps everyone entertained for hours, graphics are fab and it is good for online gaming too.

At this price, you can't complain either. Shame all games aren't such a steal.

Delivered within a few days. No problems at all

A success. Even if we already have it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A little chaos and mayhem never hurt anyone..., 24 Dec 2012
TheFamousJames (West Lothian, Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I had played this game a few times in the past, but waited until the price dropped to something (IMHO) reasonable. Since I am not an avid gamer, I really just wander around the GTA world, Liberty City, stealing cars and generally causing trouble. There are plenty of "missions" to interest those that want to rack up achievements and properly progress through the game. Personally, I would rather the whole thing was just opened up without restrictions so I could just explore. But that's because I never spend more than about ten or fifteen minutes playing the game and have no real intention of getting serious about it.

So, probably not the best game review ever. I guess I am writing this more for the casual gamer. In that sense, GTA IV is simply a fun distraction and an opportunity to act out and misbehave vicariously through the on-screen character.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 July 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
There's lots to do on any GTA game and this one is no exception. Missions, Free Roaming, many On-line game modes. What more could you want from a game. Graphics are pretty good and the Storyline is fairly interesting. I haven't found a single fault in the game so far so I would recommend this to any gamer looking for an Action packed, thrill seeking game. And at this price where can you go wrong?

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand Theft Auto never fails to deliver the ultimate gaming experience, 29 Dec 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When I first played GTA IV, I was not as impressed as I wanted to be. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved the grittiness of Liberty City (GTA III is still one of my favourite games). And it wasn't that I purely missed the landscape of San Andreas, but initially I found SA to be a more pleasing and remarkable game than IV overall. The realistic driving in IV was a problem for one thing and I just struggled to get into it.

After putting the game down for about a year, I decided to give it another go. I am so glad I eventually came back to it. The more I allowed myself to seep into the world of GTA on a next gen console, the more I realised just how phenomenal a job Rockstar had done with GTA IV. I got used to the driving and was sucked into the story. Niko was a main character that I found to be very interesting and was certainly not one dimensional. The attention to detail in the city and the gameplay itself left me breathless.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend this game enough. The replay value (as with most GTAs) is there ready and waiting. Give it another chance if you love GTA, but haven't quite got into its style yet. Overall I found it to be a truly rewarding gaming experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Greatness is back, 9 Aug 2010
Br Cottrell "brc78" (London) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Wow this game is amazing. I would have given it a max score but because it didnt keep me hooked 24/7 like some other games do I can not give it perfectness.

But the game is polished, great script, great physics and a classic all in one. At the price now being charged it should be illegal to not have one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, 14 Feb 2013
The game irself is quality! Not only was I looking forward to it's arrival, it arrived early so I could play it a lot sooner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 14 Feb 2013
Very good game reminded me of GTA3 i had borrwed it ages ago i didnt like it but i brought it as i wanted it to give it a good go n glad i didnt such a awesome game :)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best games in XBOX 360, 17 Dec 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Had this game in a nice price.

Absolutely brand new; no scratches.

Played almost 10 hours straight a way after having the game delivered. It had all the maps and guide in the CD-box.

he characters that appear in Grand Theft Auto IV are diverse and relative to the respective boroughs of Liberty City they are based in; belonging to various gangs and ethnic groups. The player controls Niko Bellic, an eastern european veteran of an unknown war.

Great buy. Recommending to all the XBOX 360 holders to play this addictive game.

Being a "PRIME" member of amazon; had a wonderful delivery experience.

I got emails about delivery updates all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars "You will not hurt my cousin!!!", 11 Jan 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This has one of the greatest moments I've ever come across in a game and I've been playing for 25 years plus - the Three Leaf Clover episode. I won't go into detail, but if you are a fan of films by Michael Mann, particularly Heat, then expect good things. It is intense, and immediately boosts GTA IV into that rare elite class of game that is seldom reached. The whole thing is superb, but most games have a standout moment, and in this particular case it happens to be a bank heist that would make even Bonny and Clyde quake in their boots.
And to top it all this game has classic dialogue - Niko Bellic, who you control, has some hilarious lines. Listen to him yelling obsceneties like "I'll cut out your heart muthafuuuuuuuuuucka" whilst in the middle of an epic firefight, haha, classic!

Grand Theft Auto IV - Classics Edition (Xbox 360)
Grand Theft Auto IV - Classics Edition (Xbox 360) by Take 2 Interactive (Xbox 360)
11.87