on 13 October 2011
Update December 2013:

Just got round to using our latest delivery of these and I am very impressed with the quality - a vast improvement on previous batches. And it's not just that none were broken or damaged, or badly manufactured (which is pretty incredible in itself), but the quality of the product itself is so much better. They feel like they're made of a better quality plastic than previous batches, all the catches work well, none of the hinges or edges or plastic covers were broken, and the finish is excellent - none of the rough edges to the mouldings that we're used to. In fact these were a pleasure to handle!

As a result, I've raised my score to five stars. But buyers should still beware, as every time we've bought a batch of these, they've come from a different supplier (and possibly a different manufacturer?), so it's impossible to tell if the quality issues really have been resolved or we were just lucky - will the next batch be just as good, or back to the old 'standards'?

But I was so impressed with this batch, that they deserve 5 stars.

Update Jan 2013:

It's taken me a long time to get round to using our latest delivery of these, so I've only just found out what the quality is like this time. Generally, it's pretty good - only 3 cases out of the 100 were damaged, and none had damage to the bit that holds the centre of the disk (which was quite a problem with the previous batch). However, on all cases the edges on the opening side were quite rough (not properly finished). This doesn't look/feel as bad as I initially feared, but it's still not acceptable quality - especially not for over twenty quid!

But, because the packaging has improved and the number of damaged cases is now much fewer, and, more importantly, I notice the price had dropped back down, I'm putting the stars back to 4. The odd broken case and the rough finishing of the edges loses 1 star.

Update November 2012:

Just about to order more of these when I discover that the price has risen by 50%!

These were good value at around fourteen quid, incl P&P, but not at over twenty.

As a result I've knocked off two stars.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Original review:

These are the third lot of 7mm DVD cases we've bought (we are converting 500+ DVDs to 7mm cases as we've run out of space - 300 down 200+ to go!).

Each time we have bought from a different supplier and these are the best we have found so far (I've just ordered another 100), but they are still far from perfect.

When you use 7mm cases, you realise why retailers prefer the 14mm ones, the 7mm cases just aren't as robust. They don't shut or stay shut as well, are more fragile, and are also less rigid - they tend to be slightly bent/twisted - and they are a nightmare to try to stack (basically, you can't stack more than about 5, after that they just slide off each other). And, of course, the spine is half the width, so titles are harder to see.

I would imagine this is true of all 7mm cases, so this isn't a specific criticism of this product, just something you should be aware of if you are thinking of doing what we are doing. These particular cases actually seem slightly better made than the ones we've had before, but there isn't a great deal of difference (and I suspect they are all made by the same company anyway!).

The big difference with this supplier is that the cases were better packaged. As other reviewers have mentioned, these cases tend to come in very thin cardboard boxes, which split easily while being transported, so inevitably some cases get broken. But with this supplier, although the cases arrived in the traditional totally inadequate, thin, split box, there was another, more rigid (and still unbroken!) box inside. So it IS possible to delivery these things unbroken - although the packaging could still be a lot better.

Rather ironically, though, we still had some broken cases, about half a dozen in all. The type of damage was different to previous orders - a couple of cases were split at the edge or corner (the 'normal' damage from poor packaging/handling), but most had damage to the central three part clip that the DVDs click on to, which is a design/material/manufacturing problem, not damage from handling. It is for this reason I've knocked a star off.

The general opinion from other reviewers seems to be that a few cases out of a hundred being damaged is acceptable as these are so "cheap". But with what other product would you accept a damage/failure rate of 5 or 6% (it was as high as 10% with one of our deliveries)? Also, although individually the cases are cheap, you are actually paying over fourteen quid for the order, which is quite a lot by my Amazon shopping standards. If I'd paid that amount of money for a BluRay or book or PC card, etc, I'd be pretty pissed off if it was 5% broken.

But, it seems you do always get some damaged cases, no matter who you buy from, and we need to finish the job (before the kids get even more DVDs!!!), so these will have to do.

Incidentally, if you are doing what we're doing - swapping a load of DVDs from 14mm cases into 7mm ones - you'll need to trim the paper covers, as they won't fit the new cases. From experiment, I've found the best way to do this is to trim 2 or 3mm from each end of the cover. This keeps the title in the middle of the spine. If you just trim one end, you probably won't be able to read the spine when the case is on the shelf.

A slightly better method is to cut where front cover meets the spine and overlap the two pieces, so that the front cover isn't spoilt. But you still sometimes have to trim the back to get the title centred on the spine, and the process is a lot more fiddly than just trimming both ends (and in most cases the front cover can be trimmed without really affecting it anyway).

Note also, that these are black cases, so you won't be able to read anything that's printed on the reverse of the cover (chapter list, etc). But there's rarely anything important printed there and no one seems to sell transparent 7mm cases in bulk, anyway. One last point - many DVDs these days come with two disks and there is no point converting one 14mm 2 disk case into two 7mm 1 disk cases - they take up the same amount of room and you have to photocopy the cover, and write "disk 1" or "disk 2" on it!
on 16 March 2011
Good value for money. Great space saver if you have loads of dvd's. Only Problem I found was you have to cut your Film title sleeve edge by about 4mm for it to fit into the clear plastic overlay, but I do that with my photo slicer.
on 19 February 2011
Very happy with product. Packaging was poor. One strip of parcel tape is not nearly enough to secure the flimsy box. Although nothing was missing and nothing damaged, that was more luck than judgment.
on 25 July 2011
Until I received these cases I was a little apprehensive as to the quality of the product, so was surprised to find a fairly well made case, which is worth the 14p a case I paid. Your DVD's will stay firmly in place, the outside see thought plastic cover, allows you to put your own paper cover inside the plastic, just like any other DVD box. Being only 7mm thick, means that you will be able to reduce the amount of room on your shelf for those DVD's you have made, no problem at all.
All in All, happy with this purchase, and will purchase more of the same when required.
on 28 July 2011
I ordered 200 cases and they arrived in two flimsy cardboard boxes, both of which had been burst open during transit. Fortunately the thin polythene inner wrapping had held the cases together and no cases had been lost or damaged. As for the cases themselves, they were Indigo and, as you would expect, of excellent quality with the outer film sleeve being rather thicker and firmer than that used on some of the (usually cheaper) varieties, giving the impression and feeling of superior quality.
on 15 November 2014
Ordered two sets of 100 and they were different but both of good quality. Delivered very quickly and well packaged.
on 7 December 2014
These are different cases and are not very good and are cheap looking the ones I had before were much better
on 9 September 2012
Purcahsed two lots of these from LPC Shades and all the cases have been usable. Like someone else mentioned, you do have to clip the paper sleeves down for them to fit in the slimmer cases, but that isn't much of a problem. Overall they are a good purchase and just waiting for more to come into stock.
on 3 April 2014
That's the only thing good about these cases! They arrived in very good time, hence the 2 stars.
The cases themselves they are a very cheap imitation and definitely not genuene Indigo cases. Definitely don't buy these!
on 8 March 2014
Not impressed - these are cheap and cheerful not a patch on the ones purchased recently.
They give the impression they wont last and are poorly finished.
Will be returning.