5.0 out of 5 stars ME on the way out
Published 21 months ago by Kate72

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but not for me
I really felt like I had started to feel the effects, but then I broke out in huge spots. B12 is known to cause acne in some people and sadly I'm one of them (also had problems with Biotin, another B vitamin). So, it looks like I'll have to stay dim-witted but at least I'll have a good complexion!
Published 19 months ago by need2know

5.0 out of 5 stars ME on the way out, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Swanson Ultra Methylcobalamin B12 (5mg, 60 Tablets) (Personal Care)
Having suffered from chronic fatigue/ME for the last two years a little but if research and bloody minded ness remembered my GP saying 'your blood tests have come back and you're slightly B12 deficient, take these- 50ug- the minimum amount a GP can prescribe, take Citalapram and Amitriptaline for the pain of the ME- we'll do another blood test in 3 mths to see if your B12 improves.
Did he do another blood test? No. Just kept prescribing the antidepressants for the ME.
I increased my B12 significantly and then started researching B12 deficiency and all the things that are diagnosed instead if B12.
I purchased a book 'Could it be B12' and I haven't looked back.
B12 deficiency can be irreversible and fatal. The book detailed in both medical and layman terms the amounts needed to try to reverse the damage caused.
I have been a vegetarian for 30 years, since the age if 10. I had been investigated during this period of time for many illnesses including Multiple Sclerosis. MRI scans, the works.
How much money could the NHS save if it were just to investigate B12 deficiency a little more.
If you're lucky and get seen by a newly qualified GP they may pick up on it.
I take 10mg a day, 5 in the morning and 5 at night.
I no longer suffer the pain of 'ME', I have stopped taking the prescribed medication and I'm not looking back.
Have I returned to my GP? No, what's the point- I can never get an appointment unless it's 'urgent' the receptionists vet every call. Will my GP contact me to see why I haven't been in, doubtful.
Do the research, I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems a good product at a reasonable price, 29 Dec. 2013
Jon65 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'll keep this as short as possible. I'm taking B12 for serious reasons, not as a pick me up or anything like that. I have a neuropathy whose cause has not yet been firmly established, but it prevents my nerves sending signals to the leg muscles properly and I have difficulty walking, balance problems, and am effectively housebound. To a lesser extent, the hands are also affected. Blood tests and nerve conduction studies have been done, but it will be a month before I see the consultant neurologist again for a final diagnosis. He mentioned four main possibilities at the time of my first examination, three of which now seem unlikely. That leaves the other, which is B12 deficiency neuropathy. For many years I took omeprazole for acid reflux, which I now know from the internet - though the neurologist didn't mention it - in the longer term can prevent B12 in food being absorbed (and have now stopped that). It seems plausible that the omeprazole is implicated, though my GP was non-committal when I put it to him a couple of weeks ago.

Meanwhile, my own research suggests that if it really is a B12 problem, that should be corrected urgently if there's to be any chance of partially reversing the damage and disability.

After 5 weeks of taking 3 a day, it's still too early to know how much they may be helping, though the pain in my hands has lessened. All I can really say so far is that these tablets are much less expensive than others, arrived quickly, and are not troublesome to take. They can take as long as 45 minutes to dissolve, but that's OK as it takes time for the B12 to be absorbed from the mucosa in the mouth.

I have worked in the licensing of mainstream pharmaceuticals, which operates to the highest standards, and was a little concerned that the B12 content of these might not be as claimed. However, looking into Swanson's methods and reputation, they are clearly a reliable outfit. Some people complain about getting acne-like spots from very high dose B12 supplements. I normally never get spots, but now have several. To me this is very encouraging as it tends to confirm that the content is as claimed and getting into my system. We'll see what happens, but a few itchy spots would be a very small price to pay for being able to walk properly again, go to the shops, socialise and so on.

I'll come back in a month or so if there's anything to add after I see the consultant. Meanwhile, if you want B12, this brand seems a good option.

Update: it turns out my neuropathy isn't related to B12 after all (though it's something treatable by other means) but I'll leave the review up as I think the points are valid. One neurologist said "Don't get vitamins via Amazon, you don't know what's in them. Get them from proper pharmaceutical manufacturers, buy them over the pharmacy counter". She doesn't seem to realise that mainstream pharmaceutical companies don't make high dosage forms, and that GPs can't prescribe high oral doses).

5.0 out of 5 stars Taste nice and does seem to do what it's meant, 19 Mar. 2012
V. Ago (CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I actually use this as a pick-me-up, as suggested by Dr Mercola. First time - I did get a warm flush to my head and after - I didn't notice anything different. It's nice tasting too - its sweet; but it does not use sugar or Aspartame - which I'm careful to avoid. Will buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars great service - quick delivery for the best kind of vitamin B12, 22 Feb. 2010
I had no problems ordering this item. It arrived in no time. I was glad that I found this kind of vitamin B12 on Amazon for a good price as you often have to pay more elsewhere. This is the best form of vitamin B12 and highly important to your well-being and not many people know that. A lack in vitamin B12 can lead to all sorts of problems. Especially for vegetarians (like myself)and elderly people a lack can occur after some time. Thank you Amazon that you had this best form of vitamin B12 for absorbtion of the human body available for a decent price and also in a highly concentrated form, so that you can actually brake the tablets apart as you don't need that much per day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best B12. Excellent price, 6 Jun. 2012
Vincenzo Panicola (Rome, Italy) - See all my reviews
This Swanson B12 is the most natural. I found it excellent for nerves and liver. Price is probably the cheapest in the UK.
For best results, I keep it under my tongue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 7 Mar. 2013
Stephanie Harper (Coventry, Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The tablets are quite large and you have to dissolve them under your tongue which takes a bit of getting used to! Nice berry flavour though.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star product, 11 Nov. 2012
The b12 methylcobalamin from Swanson are very good boosting my energy, for my peripheral neuropathy and it also has a very good taste, combined with amazon services the experience was a 5 star one.

I recommend this product BUT you have to TEST your B12 levels in blood BEFORE starting to supliment!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ONLY ONE STRONG ENOUGH ?, 8 Mar. 2014
Jeff Walmsley "JW" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
There are plenty of B12 products on the market, but none seem strong enough to be really useful - unless you take several as a single dose, which then makes them very expensive. All kinds of things seem to inhibit absorption, from old age to Proton Pump Inhibitors (of which I have both), which is apparently why serious cases of deficiency require injections. Research has apparently suggested that 2mg is the minimum useful oral dose - and most products seem to be 1mg or even less, some only 0.1mg, which seems to me to be totally useless.

Some products don't tell you the source of the B12; a popular source is cyanocobalamin which, as the name might indicate, is cyanide based. De-toxified, of course, but it's also much less digestible than hydroxcobalamin, which in turn seems less effective than methylcobalamin.

So I give 5 stars to this company for offering the best source of B12 at the highest strength. B12 toxicity is said to be nil, except in rare cases of allergy and a mysterious condition called Leber's, which is affected only by Cyanocobalamin.

I recommend the Pachalok/Stuart publication "Could it be B12 ?"; it's aimed at medical professionals, but covers all the issues very comprehensively.

5.0 out of 5 stars good value, 6 July 2014
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I must take B12 every day as otherwise certain symptoms return within 24 hours. This was the cheapest 5000mcg/5mg tablet and arrived within 4 or 5 days. After a month on 5mg, I was able to cut it in half, thereby doubling the already-good value of this product. It's only a little sweet and meant to be sucked - takes a long time to dissolve so I end up chewing it.

A B12 deficiency can cause many problems including (longer term) permanent nerve and/or brain damage. Tingling hands/feet and eyelid twitching are the most common symptoms but most of the symptoms can be caused by other deficiencies. According to "The B12 Deficiency Survival Handbook" and "Could it be B12" the B12 lab tests are not reliable - also we can be B12 deficient even if tests are within the normal range. (In Japan the range is higher; 500-1,500.)

Trying high dose, sublingual B12 for a month is probably the best way to identify whether it can be helpful. Then stop for just 3 days, noting what symptoms return. (We often forget about symptoms when they go, it's normal to forget pain, or no woman would ever have more than 1 baby.)

The methylcobalamin form is equivalent physiologically to vitamin B12. Avoid the cheaper cyanocobalamin (cyanide!) which has more steps before it is converted to the active, usable form.

It's useful to know B12 is not toxic even in large dosages; very high doses may be the most effective - but others believe there's little to distinguish between 250 mcg absorbed and 5000mcg absorbed, on the basis of reactions. Note that some recommend sublingual/spray/patch but others say sublingual has no benefits, even if absorption is impaired: I don't really know either way, except that I seem to need more than 1,000mcg (1g) while mother-in-law is fine with it and, for both of us, it doesn't seem to matter whether we use sublingual, suckable or just swallow the B12 in pill form. However, for that important first month's trial, I now always recommend 5mg daily, in sublingual form.

For many of us, it's important to also supplement with folate (vitamin B9 - avoid the folic acid version, a synthetic which can cause cancer), as B9 and B12 work closely together. However, it's also worth knowing that some are concerned about even the methyl form of B12 as it may "overdrive" the methylation cycle in the body which can cause adverse symptoms. (45% are under-methylators and 15% are over-methylators; low histamine points to over-methylator: so, if you have to take anti-histamines, you may be an undermethylator.) If taking either B12 or B9/folate/folic acid causes problems for you, the answer may be in "Nutrient Power" by Dr Walsh, an excellent book on methylation issues.

Finally, it's little known that men with pernicious anemia (when the body does not make enough red blood cells due to lack of B12) have a gluten problem, which is usually what causes the pernicious anemia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 14 Jan. 2014
It's a good product, with a compact container, not bad at taste. It takes time to dissolve, maybe 15 minutes, but it's ok. Received shppment in time and with good expiring date