5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form for the Backstreet Boys, 5 Oct 2009
Ms. Isla A. Scott (West Lothian, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Us (Audio CD)
Having heard all the tracks a few times now, I feel I can comment on it and personally, I think its better than Unbreakable (their previous studio recorded album). I like all of the tracks pretty much, their all pretty good as stand alone songs. My personal favourites, at the moment, are Bye Bye Love, Shattered and This Is Us, I LOVE Bye Bye Love and im impressed with Brians vocals on Shattered!.

When I first heard the whole album, I was sad when it ended and wanted to play it from the start again, which I think is a good sign that its you know, a good album, unlike with Unbreakable, which I felt was a bit too same-y, track wise, that album seemed to go on forever, this one has snappier, more distinguishable tracks and I also like that their quite upbeat songs, there aren't really any very sombre ballads or anything like that, its quite upbeat and fun, we could do with more such music in this time of economic struggles and all of that, I think!

Anyway I think the album is somewhat short but snappy, its a slightly different sound to Unbreakable but I think if anything its an improvement from that album, im quite happy with it. Now just because im a fan doesn't mean that I wouldn't be critical if I felt a song or album deserved criticism, so im not just saying this because im a fan, I wasn't too impressed with Unbreakable when I first got it and the same goes for Never Gone, so I'd say so if I thought the same applied with this and I wouldn't say that This Is Us is like better than Millennium but I do prefer this sound or style of music they have on this album, to others... the only real negative I'd say, personally, as far as im concerned or in my eyes, is the use of the autotune. I know why they used it and I can understand that but I prefer to hear more vocal harmony/acapella personally, the idea of using electronics to distort or 'better' their voices is a bit of a joke to me but its not really overused, its just used from time to time, so its not that much of a problem/nuisance... the album is pop/dance with a couple of quite haunting ballads (Shattered and Undone), it has a bit more of an urban feel to it but its still very much pop with a nice uplifting/positive feel to it throughout as well. The uptempo tracks have a 'Euro dance' feel to them which might not suit everyone but they are pretty catchy and the bassline isn't *too* killer, so to speak, so it could be worse...

Anyway I'd urge you to give it a listen, if your interested in it because I think there are some real gems in this album and I think it deserves to do well. In my opinion this album does show a fair improvement from their previous album, so you should check it out!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased, 11 Jun 2013
Ms. N. Sach "Raindancer" (Essex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Us (Audio CD)
A must have for Backstreet Boys Fans everywhere, if you dont already own it. It arrived sooner than was advised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever Pop Geniuses!, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: This Is Us (Audio CD)
Although many believe that the Backstreet Boys are only in the past, they prove that they still got it going on! This album is a pop delight, full of catchy tunes and beautiful melodies! The title-track is so groovy and addicting!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: This Is Us (Audio CD)
I have loved Backstreet Boys since their start in the uk- and this album does not dissapoint probably my fave album from the boys :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly their best album since 'Millenium', 13 Jan 2010
Ms M (Leicestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Us (Audio CD)
As a long standing listener to the BSB (14+ years), I am obviously interested and excited when they release something new. Needless to say that I was not disappointed when I first put this album on back in October, and it has not left my stereo since! Even my 2 1/2 year old daughter loves this album - and she is a very picky lady! :o)

Long standing fans won't be disappointed, with classic BSB tracks such as the punchy "Straight Through My Heart" and the upbeat "Bigger", right through to the beautiful "This Is Us" and the ballads "Shattered" and "Undone". New/recent fans should also be engaged from the word go, as there is something on this album for everyone. In my opinion (and it is just my opinion) this is them at their best since the 1999 album 'Millenium' when, arguably, the BSB were at the height of their fame.

There is a sense of maturity throughout the album, which is understandable given how long these chaps have been making music and the fact that they are no longer 'boys' but men, some of which have families of their own now. That doesn't mean that this album is 'boring' though as there is still more than a hint of BSB cheekiness and fun thrown in. Quite simply, it's very good music, and given the length of time that these guys have been going as a 'boy band', they could teach a lesson or two to all the current boy bands out there - this is how it's done. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, 6 Nov 2009
J. Van Westen (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Us (Audio CD)
I love this album. There are more uptempo songs, than on the last two albums, which I really enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, Great Songs, Great Voices, 23 Oct 2009
Leticia Diuana (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Us (Audio CD)
This CD is really pop and is hard have just one favorite between 12. Songs like "Masquerade", "PDA" "All of your Life" and "Bye Bye Love" will make u dance (even if u don't want it), these three songs are fantastics and is impossible stay quiet hearing then. If u like slow songs, you'll like "Shattered" and "She's a Dream". For people who like great voices together (like me) in some great songs, This Is Us is the perfect choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: This Is Us (Audio CD)
This album is a great surprise for all the fans, the ones who were expecting to have them back to their old sound, I think it was the right time to have a Backstreet Boys album with dance pop songs with R&B influences in it.

Never Gone and Unbrekable, the last 2 albums opening the second music stage of the group, were great albums and different to what they used to be, more rock/pop oriented, or organic pop, adult contemporary pop. It was original the change of music direction, but after that, I didn't want them to do it again, I needed uptempo songs, and danceable tunes, as well as ballads. I think the best is to be original, every album has something new to offer, they have done this since their debut album.

So, saying this, I wouldn't mind the next album to be R&B, because they always have had a good blend of voices and harmonies and it'd become something different again.

"This is us" is the second record as a four-piece band, after Kevin's leaving. I hope he will be back in the next face of the group. I'd like when Jive contract expires (there's another album by contract to be done with their current recordind deal), if they get the freedom to make it all by themselves, and I wish they get an independent label, which function to be only "release the album". It's about time they make their own music (I mean to write their own stuff and even they can co-produce some songs), and at the same time, they are able to do some promo and make International Tours. There's ahead an enthusiastic third Backstreet Boys's stage, and I have some suggerences for then, because I'd like them to release a special BOX SET with many of the amount of unreleased and b-side songs, an Unplugged album with some ACapella song, that could be recorded in a DVD...

As a fan, the most important thing is there's to be new BSB albums and Tours.

Commenting the new album, it's a masterpiece of modern Pop music. Lady Gaga's producer RedOne delivers 2 fantastic songs: the first single "Straight through my heart" and "All of your life (You need love)", which is a song with seems gone away from the Black & Blue album, (good news!), and RedOne's "master" Max Martin would be proud of. And besides, updating the sound with the Eurodance influences appearing in "This is us". The modern Pop music has brought back that '90's Eurodance influences.

Another remarkable thing is the use of Auto-Tune in the album. As it is an experimental thing for the boys, it doesn't matter at all, and it's original too, because the lads have never been fond of using that technique.

Another great news, the return of their hit-maker producer Max Martin. He was responsible of having written/produced some of their best songs and hits (I want it that way, Shape of my heart, Everybody, Drowning, We've got it goin' on...). The Swedish delivers "Bigger", a stand-out track what has a nice title and an atmosphere of "actual classic BSB's midtempo".

Another excellent songs in the album are: This is us (the title track) produced by Jim Jonsin, "Bye Bye Love" and "If I knew then", both produced by the working couple: Soulshock & Karlin. The former and the latter has given an R&B and Reggae atmosphere, respectively, and a positive feeling. They have even an Aaron Carter's vibe.

Another producers (among others) who have worked with the guys this time are T-Pain, in the only song the band has co-written, "She's a dream", an R&B slow jam. It's nice to listen to that differnt style in the cd. And Ryan Tedder who were the co-created of "Undone".

And there's more: The only power ballad: "Shattered", produced by Emmanuel Kiriakou (the responsible of "Inconsolable", the lead single of their last cd "Unbreakable"), where the voices of the boys are stunning. "PDA" (Public display of affection), something different BSB has wanted to offer here, with a real R&B/Hip Hop/Dance vibe, the most electronic song "Masquerade", and the bonus track for Europe: Helpless, a number featuring Pitbull, an American rapper.

There had been ruled out songs recorded for the album, but they finally didn't make it. I've got to say that none of those deserve to be swapped with any of the album. Not in my opinion, I'm so happy with the selected official tracks, some of the unreleased are fine, some are average, and there are fillers too. If they had put some of those ones, the album had been more tedious, I mean, there are some song that repeats the atmosphere of some track on the album, and I don't like the repetition in that style to not contribute something, or the sort of music of the song itself doesn't fit in the album...

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB album- get it now!!, 2 Oct 2009
Ms. L. N. Smith (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Is Us (Audio CD)
A fantastic album from the biggest selling man band in the world. Come on people show some respect, if this album was made by JLS it would be flying off the shelves. These guys have shaped the history of pop music and they are still better than ever.

'This Is Us' has some incredible tracks such as 'This Is Us' and 'Undone'.

Go by it now and lets give them the success they deserve.

KTBPA!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Going Strong A++++++++, 6 Oct 2009
This review is from: This Is Us (Audio CD)
Well yet again a great album, It's a shame it's not cool to like the Backstreet Boys anymore as they produce some great songs with very catchy melodies, as good as anything in the charts today, the album flows nicely and has slow songs and up-tempo songs I especially like Undone ,Bigger and Masquerade well worth a listen treat yourself you may be surprised!! I don't expect everyone to like their music but you can appreciate they are dedicated to producing great pop songs, It's also a shame that nobody plays their songs on the radio maybe then they would get a new following, But Hey its only my opinion ..........

This Is Us
This Is Us by Backstreet Boys (Audio CD - 2009)