on 8 November 2009
Very happy with the purchase. The ipod touch is very responsive, never freezes, and is very user-friendly. Thousands of possible applications, some excellent, some useless, can be downloaded for free or pretty cheap. The touch screen is a joy to use, although when keying in information using the keyboard can sometimes be tricky - I usually hit the wrong letter at least a couple of times.
It's main drawback compared to the iphone is that it is dependant on a wifi network, and if you're not within range of one, then many/most of the applications do not work. At home, this isn't a problem, but when you're on the move, you have to bear it in mind. My only other gripe is that it should have an FM radio - I don't think that would have been difficult for the Apple boys to include, and it would have brought it closer to the perfect portable media player.
But all in all, an excellent wee piece of machinery providing unrivalled ease of use and countless hours of listening, surfing, map-plotting, fun and even making phone calls (via Skype)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had a dilemma that I guess many are having - picking between the iPhone and the iPod Touch as an every day P.D.A. Both devices can sync seamlessly with the iTunes library, Address Book, Mail, and iCal applications from my MacBook, and as well as a host of other similarities, I soon realised that the more important question was, "What does the iPhone offer for all that extra money?"

I now realise that there is actually very little difference. Aside from the obvious Phone functions, the 3G connection is the only other useful feature missing from the iPod Touch, and I see no reason to pay 'at least' twenty pounds a month, on top of a handset charge (which is far more expensive than this device alone!) for that feature. Dilemma over - as I saw it, this is far better value for the sake of carrying my mobile in a separate pocket.

From the moment you open the, admittedly, tight clam-shell packaging (kudos for Apple's concern for the environment), the Touch feels wonderfully different to any other device you'll buy. The stainless steel backing is a finger-print/scratch magnet from the start, so do invest in a cheap case to protect the unit. In the box, you'll also get the new Apple Headphones, small pamphlets, a USB cable, a charging cradle and the usual Apple stickers.

This iPod Touch features the new Apple Headphones, which offer an in-line microphone (that you can use for Voice Control/Memo's a examples), Volume control and Play/Pause button. These come in handy as the Volume buttons on the Touch itself are quite hard. Another simple addition is the clip that keeps the two ear bud cables together now can be urn-clipped from one cable so you don't even have to pull it all the way up and down. The 8GB iPod Touch does not feature these headphones.

So what about sound quality? First, lets take into consideration that the Apple Headphones are spectacularly average. You're never going to get the full experience (or intended sound) of the music, as they have an almost 'tinny'/flat output, being that they lack plugs to keep the buds in your ear, resulting in that sound leaking out easily. Many people probably won't care as we are not all tuned in (forgive the pun) to the enjoyment of high quality audio, but for the Touch's basic activities, these are headphones are fine.

Once you do connect the Touch to some quality speakers/headphones, it outputs beautifully and rivals my 2 year old Sony Walkman. I have absolutely no arguments with this being, as a stand alone music player, a darn cite better than the majority of other competitors. Accessing your music is easy via the 'Music' app, and the presentation of your music collection can be completely customised with ease. You can even turn the iPod into landscape viewing, and Cover Flow magically appears! Your music can be accessed when using any other App etc, and the Touch even has the ability to act as a 'Remote' for your iTunes library.

The Home Button, typically of Apple, makes the Touch operations dummy-friendly. Press it once to access the 'Home Screen' - your first page of 'Apps' (Applications). Many Apps are already installed ready for you, including things like Mail, Calendar, Photos, Contacts, YouTube, Maps, Weather, Memos... The list continues. From the Apps already installed, you already have a mass of communication and information ready for you to either 'Sync' with your computer, or access on the iPod.

The truth is, the iPod Touch is a very accessible P.D.A, which marketing wise, Apple is reluctant to spread evenly between the iPhone and iPod because the iPhone brings in more bucks...

You can have up to 11 Pages of Apps, which you organise either from the iPod or iTunes. Apps are essentially bite-size looking programs that can be as simple as a game of 'Checkers', as extensive as a 'Collins French Dictionary', or as huge as the popular game 'The Sims'. They don't all cost either - but do bare in mind that, across the 90,000 available, there are just as many poor ones as quality ones. But on the whole, you'll find an App for anything - whether it be Education, Productivity, or Fun ("The Fartulator").

Connectivity is the only area the iPod misses out the iPhone. The Touch only uses a Wi-Fi connection for streaming internet data/information, meaning you 'have' to be in a Wi-Fi zone. The iPhone on the other hand has 3G, meaning you can access the Net anywhere providing your contract allows you to. But more establishments these days have Wi-Fi hotspots, so its not all bad news.

And if you download the Skype App, the unit becomes a very different story. Providing you have your Apple headphones, you basically have a telephone providing you're in a Wi-Fi area, and the other user has Skype in some means.

The Wi-Fi is obviously the icing on the cake for this being a suitable P.D.A. "Maps", one of the pre-installed Apps, lets you plan a route from your current location to a specified destination whilst connected to Wi-Fi. But Maps is brilliant - it remembers your route, so when you drive down the Motorway (in no Wi-Fi zones), all you need to do is follow the steps on screen!

The screen is 'very' sensitive and tracks every minute touch. Using the default QWERTY keyboard is, surprisingly, very easy and only took a couple of minutes to adjust to. The screen supports "Multi Touch Gesture". As quick examples, 'pinch' a webpage, and it zooms out... Spread your thumb and finger out, and it zooms in. The unit also sports an 'accelerometer' - a clever set of components that register the movement of the device as you hold it - like a Nintendo Wii remote.

To complete the sale for me was the 'Video' playback - the iPod Touch lets you watch any kind of .MP4/.MPV movie file on the go, which has been an absolute joy. I've ripped episodes of The Simpsons/Disney films, even home made videos on my MacBook's HDD, and then upload them onto the iPod. Playback is beautiful for such a small device. But be aware that, like other powerful Apps, these features drain the battery. As usual, Apple have been very... 'proud' of their battery life estimates, and as such I find it hard to believe where they get their figures from.

Summing up, why go for this 32GB model? I feel it appears the best value for money and for using the capacity compared to the 8GB and 64GB models. Films are roughly 1GB each, Apps themselves are usually at least 3/5mb, my entire iTunes library of Film, TV and Music is using just under 16GB. Buying the 8GB model for Fifty Pounds less doesn't seem good value, but even worse is that 64GB model, which I highly doubt most people would fill. Also don't forget that the formatting of the memory means you get around 29GB, not 32GB.

If I haven't convinced you enough to buy this wonderful gadget, then just read the other comments. Apple have always been ahead of the game, and the iPod Touch isn't just a product of modernity, its a sign of things to come, as Apple have once again set the standard for technology thats just as beautiful to look at as it is to use.
2828 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 October 2009
I got my iPod touch earlier this year and I have to say, it is very nearly a faultless piece of technology. Obviously there are some drawbacks to it, and the main ones I have found are:

- Not being able to watch videos on websites that don't play them through Quicktime
This has the potential to be quite annoying as I like to watch user submitted videos on websites such as MPORA, which are streamed through a different provider.

- Putting a low quality (at high volume) speaker on the model
The speaker is useful at a fairly low to medium levels of volume if you want to show someone a song out loud, you cannot get any personal pleasure from listening to this speaker.

- The shake to shuffle feature doesn't work while iPod is 'asleep'
While this is good for when you're walking when the iPod is shaking all the time when driving it is pretty annoying that I have to take my eyes off of the road to unlock the iPod then change the song.

Of course all of these are just nit picking at the iPods clearly superior technology, but if those few points were improved - for me it would be the perfect piece of technology.

So in conclusion if you are considering between the iPod touch 32gb 3G and a different similarly priced mp3 player. Go for the iPod straight away. Trust me its worth it!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 March 2010
Dont be fooled by its size, this small device packs a punch... and a big one. Listening to music, watching videos, playing games and internet are just a few of the things you can have fun with on an iPod Touch.
The App Store is HUGE boasting over 140,000 apps! There's definitely something for everyone. The best thing about the App Store is the fact that most apps are free, whether they're full games or even just trials. There's a huge variety.

I recieved mine just a few months back, and i'm on it everyday. Whilst my music library isn't huge, i've managed to fill up around 15GB of the allowed 29GB. (Not supplied with 32GB, the spare 3GB is used by Apple.) By far, the biggest segment of my iPod is my apps. I have over 7GB of them!

Whilst most people buy an iPod Touch for its apps, listening to music and watching videos couldnt be any better. On a 3.5-inch, multi-touch operated screen, the clarity of videos is like eye candy. Also, with the included microphone in the 3rd Gen models, it makes listening and switching tracks that much easier. All you have to do is speak into the microphone and speak "Next Track." It's THAT simple.

It's easy to see why Apple are the leading brand in the music market. However, the iPod Touch does have it's downfalls.

- Battery Life
If you're wanting to listen to music, your battery will last around 30 hours, with the screen turned off.
However, if you're wanting to play games or watch video, don't expect anything above 4 hours.
The battery life is TERRIBLE. For me, watching video and playing games are a must. This means i have to carry a charger everywhere i go. It's not a big deal, but it definitely needs improving.

- The Back
The back of the iPod just scratches too easily. Its a scratch magnet. If you're like me, and want to keep it as clean as possible, buy a case beforehand. That way, when you recieve it, you can slip it straight into it.

- Shuffle Feature
I find this extremely annoying. Having to shake the iPod everytime i want to skip a track in shuffle mode is just plain nonsense.

Further note about Battery Life;
When i ordered my iPod Touch, the battery life wasn't even lasting 2 hours. I decided to send it back to Amazon for a replacement. Amazon couldnt have been anymore helpful. Their customer service is SUPERB. The steps are extremely easy to follow, and the customer service is up there with the best. When i ordered my iPod Touch, i chose FREE super saver delivery. I sent it back to Amazon on a Monday via Royal Mail 1st class. Amazon sent me an email on Tuesday telling me that they'd sent a replacement via 1st class (i ordered free super saver delivery) AND they would refund my costs for sending it back to them. I recieved the replacement on Wednesday.
Bravo Amazon.

So, in a nutshell. The iPod Touch is one of the best gadgets out there. You need one. It stands way above every other MP3 player out there. Apple have made the user interface amazingly easy to use and get to grips with. With the ever-growing app store, you'll never be bored.
on 3 November 2009
After reading several reviews i decided to buy an iPod touch 32Gb to replace my old Creative Zen 4Gb.

And I must say that I'm very very pleased with the device and also find iTunes very usefull and easy to use. The music player part doesn't surprice me much except that I'm amazed how smooth everything is working. What surprices me is all the extra applications you can get and which makes the device much more usefull than I anticipated.

I did, however, experience a few minor issues with the iTunes software on my Vista PC but I can live with that.

Warning: If you have a Windows mobile you'll probably find it awfully slow after using the iPod. I know I did.
on 20 January 2010
I bought the 32gb model to replace my 15 month old Ipod Classic and I am reasonably happy with my decision. As others have commented on the pros of this product I will concentrate on what I consider to be the negatives.

Firstly, unlike the IPhone this is not a 'go anywhere' internet device. In my case, from the time I leave home to go work until the time I get home, I am in a grand total of zero WiFi hotspots. Therefore all the Internet based apps, email, social networking etc capability of the Touch is unavailable to me for 12 hours on working days. However, at home it is seriously useful - checking emails on the Touch is so much quicker than starting up my laptop and there are numerous free Apps in the App Store that I use daily.

Secondly, as many have said, battery life is very poor especially when using WiFi or any video function (including playing games). I find that the battery lasts for just 5-6 hours with a combination of music, internet and games. Therefore, buying a separate charger is essential if you are ever going to be away from your computer for a day or two. Chargers for more recent Ipod Classics do work with the Touch so many will already have one that will work.

Thirdly, I have listened to a number of songs on the Classic and then played them using the same headphones and settings on the Touch and, to my ears, my 15 month old Classic has a slightly fuller, richer sound. The difference isn't major, but I am slightly disappointed with this.

Despite these points, I would still recommend the 32gb Touch to anyone who doesn't have a huge music, video and photo collection - the 32gb actually has space for 29gb of digital media. As the 32gb Touch is currently just £30 more than the Classic, the key benefits (larger screen, access to the ITunes App Store, internet access), more than justify the extra cost. However, if my digital media was above the limit for this machine, I would not want to spend an additional £80 for the 64gb version.

Essential accessories for the Touch are a screen protector and a case which I bought at the same time as the Touch - some cases include a screen protector killing two birds with one stone. As usual the earbuds supplied by Apple are awful and most will also want a charger (if you don't already have one that works with the Touch).
on 30 December 2009
this ipod touch is a perfect gadget, anyone dwelling on the idea to purchase this ipod rest assured you would not have made a wrong choice,it really lives up to its name you can spend hours playing with the many apps there is an app for most to enjoy, also the build quilty is exellent along with the good picture and sound that you can get on this small unit,i would recommend it to anyone also consider the invisable shield BY ZAGG to keep it in good condition also the TUFF-LUV case ,go ahead and order you wont be disapointed
on 4 December 2009
I bought this item mainly because I was bored with my Sony Walkman. I'd had it about two years and whilst the bluetooth headphones always made for interesting conversation and allowed me to show it off,it just didn't have enough practicality about it.

So I opted for an ipod, I'd been rewarded money for really amazing exam results and I figured I had enough to splurge on an ipod.

AND THAT WAS THE SINGLE BEST INVESTMENT OF MY LIFE

right now, reading this review you must have loads of questions in your head, I'll endeavour to do my best at anticipating and answering these questions but in the end it's still up to you, but I aim to help

I'll start with the music. itunes, while not having all the music I want, has allowed me to find and download the songs I hear on the radio and want. The albums are very low price and setting up an account is as easy as 1,2,3 steps (that is unless you had the problem I did where I didn't have the latest itunes version and hence couldn't make an account until I did). The only problem with itunes and your music library is.... no it's not file conversion ( it does that automatically usually) but there is a little annoyance with album art on the ipod. If you're like me and yo like every song to have album art then this can get to be a really big annoyance, because there's nothing like having one song in an album with album art but any other song doesn't, (in my opinion it looks crappy). But if that's no bother then good for you.

Possibly the thing I love most about my ipod is the apps! they're crazy! and cheap (with some REALLY AMAZING CHEAP ones such as Cube and F.A.S.T.) the apps keep me entertained for hours on end and I don't think you deserve to have an ipod if you don't download fieldrunners or pocket god (they're my favvys). The only problem is that with alot of the apps you require an internet connection to experience the full fun.

Another one of my favourite things about the ipod is the ability to access internet using the safari application (comes with for those who haven't had one of these before). when connected I can download songs straight to my ipod without the need for any computers, or I can watch youtube or view countless websites. the only problem is that the ipod does not support flashplayer so some youtube videos will not play (unless you use the youtube app which also comes with).

WARNING!
If you are anything like me then only one horror awaits in store for you. marks on the screen!
In the right light (which is most light) you can see thumb prints and grease marks and all sorts of smudges on the screen and so I'm constantly cleaning it with a screen cleaner (you can get them almost anywhere, I got mine with my Playstation Portable). That's the only thing wrong with the ipod

Have you ever been sat around in teh summer in the park with your mates, just chilling but had to lie compromisingly close to someone to share earphones? well no longer with the 3rd gen (and second gen) ipod touches you can play music out the built in speakers (I'm still trying to find exactly where the sound comes from!!!). I like to keep it kinda medium volume or else the speakers get kinda crackly.

The newest and best feature of the 3rd gen is the voice control (which requires the headphones with a built on mic to work) just hold down the home button for three seconds and then you'll hear a tone, say something and a lovely ipod lady will either reply to "what's playing?" or the ipod will either shuffle, change track or pause.(note this is only with 32gb and above versions)

If you like to keep track of how much weight you're burning by walking each day then this is the ipod for you. The thing can act like a goddamn pedometer! it can keep check of my steps AND tell me how far I've walked once it's all set up.

The bluetooth is pretty good for multiplayer apps but I have yet to try it for headphones or bluetooth stereos (as I have heard somewhere you can do)

Just remember some of the stuff that I have mentioned in the above review is for the 32gb version of the ipod and consequently buying the 8gb thinking you'll have saved money will not let you have as much fun.

This ipod is the best multimedia player I have ever owned and I do not think I will ever go back to walkmans ever..... until they make an itunes-like thing for sonys

Now it's up to you to choose
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 November 2009
I upgraded to the Ipod Touch from having the Ipod Classic 80gb. The first thing I noticed was how user friendly it was, music quality is excellent as you would expect from Apple. The amount of applications that are downloadable(Most are free or for a small fee) are more than you would ever need. I have watched several films on mine now and the picture quality is outstanding. The games are easy and fun to use too.

Easy to use and superb quality, one of the best buys I have ever made.
on 11 October 2009
I purchased this iPod without ever owning one before but had owned plenty of other branded media players (such as Sony, SanDisk, LG). I went with this 32gb and 3rd gen model as I wanted the bluetooth for my wireless headset which has proved to work well. I have installed many apps easily but was appalled by the un-user friendly interface of iTunes (I am in the software dev industry!) and the management of syncing to the iPod. I had put off buying one due to this and am used to dragging and dropping whatever I felt and manually organising what I wanted. I have now become familiar with the software after a good day sorting through the media and the need to help my Dad with learning about audiobooks as he is nearly blind and needs help too. I have still yet to figure out how to arrange home converted videos out of the 'Photos App' and getting rid of the standard apps which I would not use (such as Stocks).

I was also a bit disappointed about the non-addition of the camera on the 3rd gen although it has the plastic shape of it on the back.

However, once these annoyances have been put to the back of your mind, this is an awesome gadget to carry around everywhere. I use it for every means possible such as organising your calendar, listening/watching media, playing games, web surfing etc. The prices of the apps and media downloads was cheaper than I originally thought and easy when you know how. The interface is so easy that even my 18mth old son can flick through his kids videos and press play to watch what he wants. With the conversion and compression of the files, 32GB goes a long way and I still haven't filled it three quarters of the way. I travel a lot so one of these definitely beats the boredom when having to wait around.